AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Movies, OVAs/OADs, and Specials

Notices

Old 2011-10-04, 09:07   Link #1
Last Sinner
You're Hot, Cupcake

Cyborg 009 remake by Kenji Kamiyama

So there's been debate and aniticipation about Kenji Kamaiyama's (Ghost in the Shell TV series, Eden of the East, Seirei no Moribito) latest work was going to be, since he had said he would reveal it online. A friend of mine and I just watched the stream on NicoNico just now.

Apparently it's...a Cyborg 009 remake?!

I assume this is legit - I don't think this is troll. I'm finding it hard to believe but...yeah...looks like that's what he's doing. Spoke to other people who watched it, including people who could read kanji/katakana - it seems to be the case.

My first impressions of the vid:

- 001 baby made me WTF
- 008 looking more black racist than ever made me O_O
- 009 with ginger hair seemed wrong but not as wrong as when he was a blonde
- 003 as a blonde - Well, she was in the recent version so I...guess so?
- The CG looks sub-par

Well...I hope Kamiyama gets this right overall, because every remake has been pretty lacklustre compared to the 60s original. I love the original and how it inspired Toei to make Kamen Rider then led to the West doing Power Rangers.

And before anyone says I'm trolling, ANN has confirmed it. This is a movie remake.

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com.au/n...org-anime-film

Well, this is the last thing I expected...

Last edited by Last Sinner; 2011-10-04 at 10:08.
Last Sinner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-04, 15:12   Link #2
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

As director of my favorite (Moribito) anime ever, anything Kamiyama-sensei does is of great interest. But this is a real surprise to me. Not at all sure what to make of this.
Guardian Enzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-04, 16:08   Link #3
TnAdct1
Honya-kun

Saw the trailer that was included on the ANN link.

Not to thrilled with the character designs (while I can get the idea that this version is trying to make the heroes look more realistic, part of the title's charm does come from the cartoony looks). However, the real potential of the film is shown with the scenes showing the characters in action.
Old 2011-10-04, 16:19   Link #4
creb
Hiding Under Your Bed

I think I got a boner. I really wish you hadn't posted this, as the wait till next fall (or, more realistically, however many months after Fall 2012 the DVD/BluRays are released) is going to be excruciating!

Kamiyama needs to return to TV. Eden of the East didn't quite do it for me, so it's been a while since I've been able to bask in his greatness over the length of 26 weeks.
Also, cake.
creb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-04, 20:20   Link #5
zeniselv
Staring into your soul.

i watched the series remake of a couple of years ago and was the only series with that old manga aesthetic i been able to digest, and even if i wanted an "update" on character designs most of the characters are irrecognosible now, on the other hand using cg is the best way to depict the protagonist ability so that i see rigth.
Old 2011-10-04, 22:41   Link #6
Fevvers
a regular van veen

Aww... I was actually looking forward to another GitS. Still, the trailer does look interesting (though the CGI's kinda off-putting) and with Kamiyama in the helm, this is a must-see.
Fevvers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-05, 01:01   Link #7
Branduil
Typesetter
*Fansubber

Someone check Kamiyama into CGI rehab please.
Branduil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-05, 02:20   Link #8
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

There's nine more Moribito/Tababito novels out there, too...
Old 2011-10-05, 03:39   Link #9
fertygo
Hyakko Fanboy

The CGI's like something that made in 1998 or so... so friggin slow.
Old 2011-10-05, 05:06   Link #10
playmaker2k
Nishikino Maki (* ̄▽ ̄*)

I think it looks great. I know people are complaining about the CG, but it's Kamiyama so I'm not worried about it. The cell shading looks good and I like how it works out for the scenes in that trailer. Everything looks fluent to me, it gets the point across without it being distracting.

Everyone seems to be putting down the CG...I don't get this at all...but anyways, it's gonna look amazing in the end since it's only a trailer. Plus with his resume, you can't go wrong with it. The redesigns for the characters look fine too. I think it's better to modernize them since it was originally made in 60's.

As a whole, you can still recognize them. If a new viewer was to see this for the first time, they couldn't tell the difference. They'll just say that it looks clean and I can't wait to see more of it.

Production I.G. knows what they're doing, they did this so they can cater to a wider audience. If it's a hit, they'll continued it as a tv series like GITS.

Personally, I'm just glad that this is getting remade. I can tell that it's already looking better than majority of the stuff that's out there right now. Both visually and story wise.

Last edited by playmaker2k; 2011-10-05 at 05:37.
playmaker2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-05, 05:29   Link #11
ZODDGUTS

Looks mediocre and stiff. As bad as those new CGI scenes they added in GITS 2.0. Like with Berserk movie it looks only good when there not moving but bad when they are.
ZODDGUTS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-05, 06:29   Link #12
RRW
Unspecified
*Scanlator

no complain on CG quality (what people expect? FF7:AC quality?)

thought my complain is character design and the atmosphere which seem to be more darker than original which make certain character out of place

RRW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-05, 08:19   Link #13
fertygo
Hyakko Fanboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by RRW View Post
Something that's better?
Hell, Time of Eve looked thousand time better than that.

I'm sure hoping that's just because they're in initial development, but man that's kinda embarrassing to showed as first teaser.
Old 2011-10-05, 08:25   Link #14
konart

Quote:
Originally Posted by RRW View Post

thought my complain is character design and the atmosphere which seem to be more darker than original which make certain character out of place
Srsly? It's a low level even by measures of 5-10 year old CG
Old 2011-10-05, 08:51   Link #15
patnam

is this based the storyline after TV anime series "The Skullman" in 2007...?
patnam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-05, 13:16   Link #16
creb
Hiding Under Your Bed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guardian Enzo View Post
There's nine more Moribito/Tababito novels out there, too...
While I loved Moribito, I've found that at least half the shows I love are not loved by Japanese otaku. My understanding is Moribito did not do well financially. And, while I'm fairly sure DVD/BD sales aren't the only thing that is a factor in whether something gets a sequel, they probably do carry some weight.
Also, cake.
creb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-05, 14:02   Link #17
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by creb View Post
While I loved Moribito, I've found that at least half the shows I love are not loved by Japanese otaku. My understanding is Moribito did not do well financially. And, while I'm fairly sure DVD/BD sales aren't the only thing that is a factor in whether something gets a sequel, they probably do carry some weight.
Oh, they didn't do well, no - I'm just pointing out that the novels are out there for Kenji-san. Not a chance in hell they'll ever be animated.
Old 2011-10-06, 07:26   Link #18
Goty

Send a message via ICQ to Goty
Quote:
Originally Posted by Last Sinner View Post
I love the original and how it inspired Toei to make Kamen Rider then led to the West doing Power Rangers.
Just one thing, Power Rangers is based on Super Sentai, not Kamen Rider. And Kamen Rider, like Cyborg 009, is a Shotaro Ishinomori creation.
Although Ishinomori produced the very first Sentai series ever, so there is a link at least.
Goty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-07, 01:48   Link #19
DangerMouse

Quote:
Originally Posted by playmaker2k View Post
I think it looks great. I know people are complaining about the CG, but it's Kamiyama so I'm not worried about it. The cell shading looks good and I like how it works out for the scenes in that trailer. Everything looks fluent to me, it gets the point across without it being distracting.

Everyone seems to be putting down the CG...I don't get this at all...but anyways, it's gonna look amazing in the end since it's only a trailer. Plus with his resume, you can't go wrong with it. The redesigns for the characters look fine too. I think it's better to modernize them since it was originally made in 60's.

As a whole, you can still recognize them. If a new viewer was to see this for the first time, they couldn't tell the difference. They'll just say that it looks clean and I can't wait to see more of it.

Production I.G. knows what they're doing, they did this so they can cater to a wider audience. If it's a hit, they'll continued it as a tv series like GITS.

Personally, I'm just glad that this is getting remade. I can tell that it's already looking better than majority of the stuff that's out there right now. Both visually and story wise.
Well said I really agree.

I'm glad 009 is coming back as I enjoyed the 2001 series (the decent amount of it that we got to see of it on CN) and loved the team, I can't wait to see Kamiyama's modern take on it and like you said it would be cool if it does well and they could really dig into it and the characters with a full series where Kamiyama can work his series magic like GITS -we need a 3rd Gig someday!-/Moribito (and Eden of the East which I liked a lot but not quite as much as these two pieces of awesome).

Loved the trailer and the overall look of what he's going for since I'm not as quick to jump on CG as a negative, as well as the strong pacing/staging of the action beats which doesn't surprise me with him directing (and some of those wide-shots and lighting are pretty gorgeous, like the pass over the roof and some of the GITS-inspired camera shots, or the rain etc. during 009's signature move, plus I think the nice little subtle moment between 009 and 003 looked nice and had some nice camera moves that favor CG, I think Kamiyama will maximize what makes his movie look and feel good, especially since he's writing too) and Kenji Kawai's kickass trailer music I think really made it exciting despite any moments of at least temporary (hopefully) early production sluggishness. Also I totally agree on the modernizing thing I like it in the trailer especially with how Kamiyama's touches feel confident and complete rather than trying to "mash two opposites together" and his involvement easily already tangible to me in this early trailer how as usual with him how well-realized the world/designs feel even at this stage, and I don't get the "they're unrecognizable" for the team as to me it was easy to recognize who each of them were even with their modernizations, and I've only ever seen these characters in the 2001 series.

Not to mention how easily the designs and coloring felt totally right and how super cool it felt when the fade happened at the end putting them in their classic uniforms.
DangerMouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-19, 05:15   Link #20
playmaker2k
Nishikino Maki (* ̄▽ ̄*)

Yeah, modernizing the characters is the right choice. I say this because if you were to go with their original designs, it would more than likely offend some people.

Most of the animation if not all of it was cell shaded too. There's nothing about it that looks "cheap" to me.

The CG is fine. I think it threw some people off at the end of the trailer when they purposely slowed down the 3d camera on the panning sequence for the closeups of 003 and 009.

They did this in order to get the right timing for the music to build up so it would impact the next shot of them in their battle suits.

When you look at the trailer again, you can see that when it came to the other character's there wasn't a blatant lag on their movements...everything seems to move fluently.

For example, look at Jet Link's running sequence to flight...it's a beautiful thing. Anyways, I can't wait to see what Kamiyama is gonna add to it.
playmaker2k is offline   Reply With Quote