AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > Video Games

Notices

Old 2007-06-02, 12:07   Link #241
Honey_and_Cleaver

Quote:
Originally Posted by gummybear View Post
1) please don't compare apple to banana or some other fruit that suppose to repersent RoL & warhammer. Did RoL & warhammer have a international league or even known to majority of the people on this face of the planet? *slience*... don't think so. There is a reason why SC is all that, because it is NOT RoL & warhammer. Want something that is like RoL or warhammer? Go play RoL or warhammer and don't play SC2, because cause most likely you are going to b**ch about how the graphic sucks.

2) ever heard of "custom made games"? If you played WC3, then you know you can go and create a game of your own with SC2, go online to bnet and play with other with your map that is fill with spotlight, custom gun fire, dynamite with laser, etc of whatever you want to do.

3) SC was never about the graphics, you got a super computer that can handle whatever graphics that throws at you? Good for you, now step aside as you are blocking one of the greatest game with the best game play that we value the most. WTF does having flashy units have to do with battles? NOTHING! Most players don't even stop to even look at how "pretty" the units looks like during a battle anyway. Majority of us will be: "oh wow this unit is cool *click a batch of units* *send them to their death and build another while worrying what to do for the next wave of attack* "

BTW, since WC3, there are many things that you can do with the camera angles, including what you b**ched about.

4) Want to play single player campaign over and over again? You can do that, while majority of us most likely will only do that once and skip to bnet and start killing each other in melee or TvB. However, I do feel that you have overwhelming amount of carebear in you, you know what, you are right, stick to single player campaign, since you will get eaten alive while you stare at each units and want to see how they looks like.

Want to be a carebear? fine by me, but don't force it onto other people, because not everyone need a blanky and a milk bottle to suck on.
I can bitch about game but you dont go bitching about what i say and get personal. You can compare apple and banana unless you want to eat em, but thats not the topic of discussion right now. I have some disagreement to the game, unless you want to be a protoss zeolot who cant take an opposite comment then be like that, i wont stop you.

About the multiplayer thing, dont tell me everyone wants to play a multiplayer game like a dynamic board game. Dont tell me some people cant handle some complicated games because their IQ are so damn low, they cant operate the game, so its no fun. Ive played Ground Control,C&C Generals and Warhammer multiplayer just fine.
Honey_and_Cleaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-06-02, 20:46   Link #242
Demongod86
Gundam Boobs and Boom FTW

Actually I was always a bit irked that the BCs and carriers looked like toys and that silly little marines shot them down. I want my BCs and carriers to be like the ones in the cinematics =X
Old 2007-06-02, 21:45   Link #243
Vallen Chaos Valiant
Logician and Romantic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demongod86 View Post
Actually I was always a bit irked that the BCs and carriers looked like toys and that silly little marines shot them down. I want my BCs and carriers to be like the ones in the cinematics =X
In that case than, a BC or Carrier would take up 150 supply and cost 3500 mineral + 6000 gas... (And then they would still get lock-downed to death.)
Old 2007-06-02, 22:31   Link #244
gummybear
MUDKIP MUD!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vallen Chaos Valiant View Post
In that case than, a BC or Carrier would take up 150 supply and cost 3500 mineral + 6000 gas... (And then they would still get lock-downed to death.)
There was a custome made RPG on WC3 where they made the buildings to scale, it was a pain to play because it takes so much time just to move around. If everything is to scale, you will be spending 99% of the time scolling.

If they make BC that big, it will block the units below then it would be like using the the cheap 4v4 tactic of "Overlord smoke cloud" where you have 1 guy make crap load of OL and launch them over to a base before everyone attack it while the target can't select their units at all. Problem is, you are not blocking others, you are blocking yourself when it comes out.
gummybear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-06-03, 03:37   Link #245
wsheit
Combating Spoiler Scum

Quote:
Originally Posted by gummybear View Post
If they make BC that big, it will block the units below then it would be like using the the cheap 4v4 tactic of "Overlord smoke cloud" where you have 1 guy make crap load of OL and launch them over to a base before everyone attack it while the target can't select their units at all. Problem is, you are not blocking others, you are blocking yourself when it comes out.
That's hilarious...I've never heard of that one.

I still can't believe I'm following the development of this game so far out. When it finally drops, we'll be like, "that's ok blizzard, we've talked about it so much we're already sick of it."
Old 2007-06-03, 05:52   Link #246
LoweGear
Secret Society BLANKET
*Graphic Designer

It'll still be inconvenient though. Unless I wanted to do a "posed" battle screenshot, or can't seem to select a unit behind an object I never really use the fancy camera angle options that much in the heat of battle. Forcing people to use the camera just so they can play is an inconvenience I don't think a lot of people will like, just because they wanted a bigger battlecruiser. Trust me, it's incredibly hard trying to play an RTS game from a ground level perspective.

I couldn't care less about the unit proportions frankly. All the great RTS games did well because they had great GAMEPLAY, not super-realism. If it didn't matter when I was playing Starcraft back then, why should it matter now? Did Dawn of War, Command and Conquer, Rise of Nations, or Civilization have realistically proportioned units? Nope. As long as I get my money's worth of replayability and fun, proportions can come dead last in the consideration of an RTS.

On a side note, I don't think Blizzard's just suddenly gonna discard the 3-D Camera options that they've implemented in W3, so that is a possibility for SC2.

Against all the evil that hell can conjure, all wickedness that mankind can produce... We will send unto them, only you.
LoweGear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-06-03, 05:57   Link #247
Vallen Chaos Valiant
Logician and Romantic

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoweGear View Post
On a side note, I don't think Blizzard's just suddenly gonna discard the 3-D Camera options that they've implemented in W3, so that is a possibility for SC2.
I don't see the chance of people using the mobile camera much in game play. But it would bring up a whole new dimension for those of us who watch Korean matches, as the commentators can freely spin the camera any way they want...

Though to be honest, that would just be annoying after a while, as it makes it difficult to analyse the tactics of the players. So yeah, it might be cool to move the camera around, but for practical gameplay it isn't that useful.
Old 2007-06-03, 06:03   Link #248
LoweGear
Secret Society BLANKET
*Graphic Designer

Well, it is just an option afterall. People can decide whether or not they want to use the camera for whatever purpose they may see fit. I myself use it at times in other games for screenshot purposes (Dawn of War is pretty awesome in this respect). If you look at most aired Korean WC3 matches (I've seen some), you'll see that even they don't use the mobile camera that much during commentary.

Against all the evil that hell can conjure, all wickedness that mankind can produce... We will send unto them, only you.
LoweGear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-06-03, 06:39   Link #249
felix
sleepyhead
*Author

In games like CnC3 I always aim the camera in the direction of the enemy, this means I can see his reinforcements and air units that otherwise might be somewhat invisible, I also see more of his strategic placing then mine (which I know anyway) I always work with groups or swarms so no problem selecting.

It's nothing much but it helps and I suppose seeing the battle from a similar angle and direction each time is an advantage too~ xD
I do it mostly for fun though, never found other uses for camera and the 3D aspect of games other then this.
At least not something useful.
Old 2007-06-03, 06:41   Link #250
celcius
Aspiring but lazy

The camera angles can be beneficial since people have different preferences and what they're used to. I guess some people want a more first person view. Though honestly, I'd probably adjust camera at the start of battle to bird's eye view or something and leave it at that.
celcius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-06-03, 07:00   Link #251
felix
sleepyhead
*Author

I like a sharp angle myself. I see no point in seing more if more (like from above for example) if 60% is stuff I don't care about. =P
Old 2007-06-06, 06:28   Link #252
gummybear
MUDKIP MUD!

Would you buy this as well?

Also, something interesting on the side, seems like all terran marines are criminals, maybe they see sending them onto the battle field to fight zergs is a sentence of it's own. Now we might understand why terrans treat their soldiers like dirt.
Old 2007-06-06, 06:59   Link #253
Klashikari
阿賀野型3番艦、矢矧 Lv180
*Graphic Designer

Well, this was in the background from the very beginning.

in fact, terran race are much like criminals, and various "unpleasing" scrubs from earth (mainly during the Project Great Purification incident, leaded by the UPL), and they were used as guinea pig by the doctor Doran Routhe.

Instead of being executed, the mass was taken care by the "genius" doctor, and send them in space, with ATLAS, the supercomputer, which was managing the supercarriers : Nagglfar, Argo and Sarengo.

their rude style is probably the legacy of the survivor of the great exile. (and Terran Politics are a bit dubious... Acturus Mengsk for example ~~)

that explains why in the first starcraft cinematics, you could see bar codes on the frond of the marines, especially in the cinematic of the zerg campaign "The battle on the Amerigo"
Old 2007-06-07, 03:05   Link #254
gummybear
MUDKIP MUD!

I guess I can stop feeling like a mass murder when I send waves of marines to their deaths.
What about the medics? Were they sex trade workers?
Old 2007-06-07, 03:12   Link #255
Klashikari
阿賀野型3番艦、矢矧 Lv180
*Graphic Designer

well, talking about medics, it should be noted that only earth forces could have these. (which explain why you never sees enemies Terran with medics, when you are playing through Terran Campaign in Brood War)

as for their description, i will take it from BW booklet :

The Medics of the United Earth Directorate follow a time-honored tradition of selflessly marching into combat zones to aid their injured bethren. These fearless women, aided only by protective shielding, are highly skilled healers, capable of restoring the health and vitality of wounded soldiers. Medics can even cure various zerg infestations such as Parasite or Ensnare.

and a bonus, Heal description :
While expendable, the massive losses of Marines during the Great War began to become cost prohibitive. The Medic's use of chemical modifiers has greatly enhanced the survival rate of UED forces, lengthening the expected battlefield life expectancy to over nine seconds.

obviously, UED are using marines just like the players : mass short life pawns

i'm still wondeering why Restoration can be used on Mechanical Unit, and would cure Lockdown. (and in some extent, how medics can heal protoss and zerg units) ~~
Old 2007-06-07, 03:33   Link #256
Skane
Anime Snark

I just hope... for the love of all that is good... they allow the Protoss to repair their buildings in some way! It always irked me that for all their claims of being technologically superior, they can't even fix what's broke. Advanced civilisation, my ass. Even the "primitive" Zerg can self-heal their buildings.

I don't care if it cost 2 or even 4 minerals per HP, just give us a damn option to repair buildings!

Grr...
Old 2007-06-07, 03:46   Link #257
Vallen Chaos Valiant
Logician and Romantic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skane View Post
I just hope... for the love of all that is good... they allow the Protoss to repair their buildings in some way! It always irked me that for all their claims of being technologically superior, they can't even fix what's broke. Advanced civilisation, my ass. Even the "primitive" Zerg can self-heal their buildings.

I don't care if it cost 2 or even 4 minerals per HP, just give us a damn option to repair buildings!

Grr...
I think the argument is the Protoss have equipment that are far too complex to repair in a battle setting, and for the same reason they warp, don't build, their buildings or units. A Protoss Nexus would probably be 1000 minerals and a few hundred gas if it was to be built on-site like how Terrans do with their command centers. The logic then, is it would theoretically cost more resources to repair a Protoss unit or building than it would be to warp in a new one.

Would you repair a dragoon at the price of a reaver?
Old 2007-06-07, 03:47   Link #258
Klashikari
阿賀野型3番艦、矢矧 Lv180
*Graphic Designer

i think they are too lazy to do so (since all buildings are warped from Aiur... which is another continuous error in campaign XD)

i guess the counter argument would be the so called "overpowered shield" (which is absurdely owned by a single EMP shockwave -__-)
Old 2007-06-07, 03:53   Link #259
Vallen Chaos Valiant
Logician and Romantic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klashikari View Post
i think they are too lazy to do so (since all buildings are warped from Aiur... which is another continuous error in campaign XD)

i guess the counter argument would be the so called "overpowered shield" (which is absurdely owned by a single EMP shockwave -__-)
Well, unless someone is doing a nuke-strike Boxer-style, that shouldn't be an issue. Zerg buildings take forever to heal, and Terran buildings can get burned down. Overall, I still think Protoss buildings are not below par to the others as far as defense.
Old 2007-06-07, 03:57   Link #260
Klashikari
阿賀野型3番艦、矢矧 Lv180
*Graphic Designer

probably, except Photon Cannons (horribly fragile for their cost... well, of course, bunkers overall cost is higher but still XD)

but i'm still really concerned by EMP SW, due its costs and area of effect. (fortunately, it require research, phew), which can turn your defense like paper. (combining with siege tank, you can see big holes within minutes)

bleh, i shouldn't rant about this, at least, shields are upgradable and can suck a lot of punishment.

Tags
blizzard, starcraft, windows