AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Visual Novels, Mobage & Anime Spin-Off Games

Notices

Old 2008-06-29, 20:58   Link #2181
Kresnik
Anti-Hero

I also think that Natsuki's route is the best in ExE, Yuu comes in second, and Mio the last. As for comparation, you could say that Yuu story is the appetizer, Mio is dessert, while Natsuki is the full banquet course!

I too, look forward to playing a full horror story. I actually look forward to seeing some real horror when I play Gore Screaming Show or 11eyes, but I think both of them fails at it. Anyone knows a decent horror VN titles?

Rui wa Tomo wo Yobu seems interesting too.. One word in spoiler tag:
Spoiler:

Last edited by Kresnik; 2008-06-29 at 22:56.
Kresnik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-06-29, 21:55   Link #2182
Sterling01
霊夢→デレ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kresnik View Post
I also think that Natsuki's route is the best in ExE, Yuu comes in second, and Mio the last. As for comparation, you could say that Yuu story is the appetizer, Mio is dessert, while Natsuki is the full banquet course!

I too, look forward to playing a full horror story. I actually look forward to seeing some real horror when I play Gore Screaming Show or 11eyes, but I think both of them fails at it. Anyone knows a decent horror VN titles?
It depends on how Dark you can take your Eroges. As most of the really scary ones have really really scary H-scenes.
On that note.... Have you tried Saya no Uta yet?
Old 2008-06-29, 22:37   Link #2183
Kresnik
Anti-Hero

I don't mean scary or gory h-scenes, I actually hate it very much. What I seek is just typical ghost stories, like supernatural investigation and such, with real supernatural events of course, if it can be explained by logic, it would lose its value.
Old 2008-06-30, 02:55   Link #2184
Ruan

First post on these boards... meh.

Trying to think of eroge that have truly scared me, and there's not much of a list. Gore Screaming Show didn't scare me so much as at points it weirded me out... except for the one lady who would contradict herself with the creepy voice. If they'd done more with her... then it really WOULD have been a scary game.

Ever 17, strangely enough, scared me at points (kick the can game). More of a what the heck is going on!? vibe though. Grateful I was able to play it in English.

What Kresnik seems to be going for is more psychological 'ghost' horror than physical horror, and I can't say I've seen any games of that type. Not with ghosts at least. Outside of ghosts, of course...

Tsukihime, classic as it is, has a bit of the psychological horror feel to it - and, of course, I'd recommend it to anyone. At least in that case any physical horror is not really CGed.

Couldn't really enjoy 11eyes. I enjoyed some of the concepts that they brought in... but problems in the story bogged it down too much.

If you don't mind dark and gory, I can highly, highly recommend Innocent Grey's works - namely Pianissimo and Cartagra. Both are mystery oriented, with definite elements of psychological horror, though it's more of the 'inside of killer's mind' horror. Sugina Miki, the artist for the games, remains my favorite out of all the eroge I've played. Beautiful work and artstyle. Pianissimo is worth it for the soundtrack alone. Cartagra remains the only eroge to date that has made me cheer out loud - not even once, but several times. Goes to show how involved in the storyline I got. That all said... definitely not 'nice' games. Dark, gory, horror, mystery. But very, very good.

And, of course, Kara no Shoujo, the newest game from Innocent Grey, comes out the 4th of July. Can't wait.

Games I've played all the way through, in order of me remembering me playing them.

Spoiler for Games I've played:

Fairly sure I'm forgetting to list quite a few, and of course those are not including the many games I've only played a few routes in - generally, if I don't like a character, I skip that route. The above were all good enough all routes to make me play through them all.

At the moment, I'm playing through Rui wa Tomo wo Yobu, with Prima Stella in the wings.
Ruan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-07-02, 20:04   Link #2185
Kresnik
Anti-Hero

noob? I don't even think you're legally old enough to play it anyway. >_>
Old 2008-07-03, 03:38   Link #2186
Vash002
Ready to Boast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sterling01 View Post
Have you tried Saya no Uta yet?
Even the BGM scares me, that's why it's one of my favorites.

I finally installed Ayakashibito, and well, it's damn... Freakin' awesome.
Beautiful art, awesome music and the story is, well, just incredible.
Now I'm trying to find fanart, it's one of the latest eroges I played that I really liked a lot.
As soon I end this novel, I'm going for Bullet Butlers
Vash002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-07-03, 08:13   Link #2187
dont

Ok, let me start Kara no Shoujo
dont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-07-03, 17:38   Link #2188
Klashikari
阿賀野型3番艦、矢矧 Lv180
*Graphic Designer

ExE finished recently, and it was really a nice game indeed.

For starter, I should probably begin the "genuflect" pose, as I really love Yuzusoft artist, for the character design in general (Which will most likely force me to play Braban and Natsuzora Kanata ). Really pushing many buttons in either normal, cute or sexy terms, and the CG didn't displayed any QUALITY backlash.

The BGM were kinda refreshing: definitely different from what I got usually, and I got quickly addicted to "Daily life" and "Act of Violence" XD.
Seiyuu were topnocht, and I didn't have any "please don't talk!" syndrome (unlike a certain Yukiko in 11eyes >_>).

Main dish: plot wise, it was really nice. I really liked the fact that each main heroine led to a different aspect of the main plot, with a different antagonist each time (Mio's being completely unexpected to say the least).
Spoiler for routes & characters:

Overall, I liked the plot and the cast a lot. Structure and content were well balanced, albeit a bit short. That said, ExE perhaps lacked some "tension" here and there to really got a "MORE, DAMNIT!".
Excellent game anyway, I'm really looking forward Yuzusoft other/future games.

oh yeah, few questions though, as some things were kinda difficult to understand for me in the end
Spoiler for end spoilers etc:

phew... well, then... Time to chain it up with Natsuzora Kanata. I was so looking forward Chihaya that I got nearly impatient, hesitating with CTRL the first 4 days before bumping on her in the café

Last edited by Klashikari; 2008-07-03 at 17:55.
Klashikari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-07-03, 18:09   Link #2189
Dagger
Nitro+ fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vash002 View Post
Even the BGM scares me, that's why it's one of my favorites.

I finally installed Ayakashibito, and well, it's damn... Freakin' awesome.
Beautiful art, awesome music and the story is, well, just incredible.
Now I'm trying to find fanart, it's one of the latest eroges I played that I really liked a lot.
As soon I end this novel, I'm going for Bullet Butlers
And then you have to play Chrono Belt, which combines both of their awesomeness into an unstoppable force of nature. Nothing else comes close to these three games in terms of sheer epic scale + human emotion.
Dagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-07-03, 19:25   Link #2190
johnishida
Bishoujo Lover!

Send a message via MSN to johnishida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Klashikari View Post
Spoiler for end spoilers etc:
It's been a long time since I played this game so, I will answer what I remember...

Spoiler for Spoiler:
Old 2008-07-03, 21:21   Link #2191
Klashikari
阿賀野型3番艦、矢矧 Lv180
*Graphic Designer

^
Spoiler for still end spoilers for ExE:

Thanks for the explanations, now only thing that is missing is 1) (and perhaps the plot hole of 2) )
Old 2008-07-03, 22:02   Link #2192
Kresnik
Anti-Hero

Well, for the sake of fulfilling unanswered questions, I'll try it:
Spoiler for Questions #1 & #2:
Old 2008-07-03, 22:31   Link #2193
Klashikari
阿賀野型3番艦、矢矧 Lv180
*Graphic Designer

At this rate, it will turn into a thread? (I guess I won't bring up the matter further. Thanks to both of you, kinda cleared most if not all issues)
Spoiler:

*on Natsuzora* geh... I have hard time with clingy,spoiled osanajimi/sister/cousin type, but Yuiko is a bit "fine", though she is... well difficult to bear during the festival... (In the meantime, Souta is SO dense and oblivious to her dere side that I fear the worst for the romance of her route ^^")
Meanwhile, Futaba is screaming too much "LB rin"... Tomoe used her voice almost in the same fashion (albeit much more genki) to the point I expect Futuba to say "Nyan nyan" and all other neko stuff from Rin

Last edited by Klashikari; 2008-07-03 at 23:38.
Klashikari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-07-04, 02:59   Link #2194
Kresnik
Anti-Hero

Well, I haven't yet play Little Busters! yet, and still have no schedule for it. I even haven't play any Key games yet! >_>
I'm planning to play Sharin no Kuni next, both Himawari no Shoujo and the fandisk (Just got the will to do it after G-Senjou no Maou)
Old 2008-07-04, 03:27   Link #2195
Vash002
Ready to Boast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magus IX View Post
And then you have to play Chrono Belt, which combines both of their awesomeness into an unstoppable force of nature. Nothing else comes close to these three games in terms of sheer epic scale + human emotion.
I already did (Damn, I need to finish it). That's why I'm playing Ayakashibito and Bullet Butlers now, because, I wasn't really understanding some parts.

Anyway, have a screenshot of the novel:

Tonya has the same expression I had after 5 minutes of playing Ayakashibito, awesome VN.
Vash002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-07-04, 12:30   Link #2196
Hemisphere
見習い魔剣使い

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klashikari View Post
*on Natsuzora* geh... I have hard time with clingy,spoiled osanajimi/sister/cousin type, but Yuiko is a bit "fine", though she is... well difficult to bear during the festival... (In the meantime, Souta is SO dense and oblivious to her dere side that I fear the worst for the romance of her route ^^")
Well, I've heard from people that Yuiko's route was pretty okay. I've yet to play through her route though, or Sarasa's for that matter. I just...cant get over Chihaya. >_<; CHIHAYA MOE!

Also, right now I'm enjoying Houousenki Maimu (omg NSFW). It's my favorite at the moment, though I can say with a straight face that it's definitely not for everyone. In fact, it's all thanks to this title that I'm looking forward to the sequel, 昇龍戦姫 天夢 (omfg NSFW too). Its's got Aoba Ringo! And Ishiki Hkaru again!
Old 2008-07-05, 15:58   Link #2197
dont

Kara no ShouJo's BGM
http://www.nicovideo.jp/watch/nm3862583

really AMAZAING ! MANYO GJ!
dont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-07-06, 20:02   Link #2198
Klashikari
阿賀野型3番艦、矢矧 Lv180
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erhjegel View Post
Well, I've heard from people that Yuiko's route was pretty okay. I've yet to play through her route though, or Sarasa's for that matter. I just...cant get over Chihaya. >_<; CHIHAYA MOE!
I've just finished Yuiko's and Sasara's routes before engaging Chihaya (I have the usual "keep the best for the last" motto ) and I'm glad I did like that, otherwise I would certainly drop NatsuKana right after Chihaya.

In general view, Yuiko and Sasara routes weren't bad, but they were very awkward at times, and the writing is absolutely not as balanced as in ExE. In a non spoilerish approach, Yuiko's route suffered the same issue than Natsuki's route in ExE: the romance was kinda "side tracked" from the main plot, hence both points are alternating, which is not really great for the plot progression and character development.
The real other problem with Yuiko's route is the romance itself: very shaky and absolutely fustrating at times (Souta is very very dense in this route): the dynamic and antics between Yuiko and Souta aren't exactly a good factor at all.
The plot itself required some suspension of disbelief in the long run (after the confession), especially how the game was implying weird stuff all along, with the flashbacks. Speaking of which, I really got annoyed to no tomorrow that Souta "remembers" of everything, but he just doesn't have a full flashback. Hence, everyone knows except... the player, which is really frustrating.
In the end, the pace became far better during the "drama/serious business".

As for Sasara's route, the pace is far better, and the plot progression is well blended with the romance. That said, my problem is that the characters are so stingy in information that it becomes quickly hard to bear, as it is tedious and frustrating (Fumio and Ashikaga certainly have a EX rank in the "won't tell anything" skill).
The other issue is the melodrama which was really NOT great with the dragged stuff near the end. Fortunately, both of the epilogues properly give enough development for Sasara.

That said, I noticed some nice connections between both routes (despite they are drastically pushed aside from each other), and as result, I would recommend to play Yuiko's route before Sasara's.

For the moment, I must say that NatsuKana hardly impressed me. It isn't exactly bad or plain average, but after playing ExE, NatsuKana certainly bears many flaws and awkward writing which could be avoided.

Anyway, time for Chihaya's route (and at least, I know that the moe scale can be enough to make me overlook a possible bad route... yup, I was looking forward that game only because of her )
Old 2008-07-06, 21:44   Link #2199
Sterling01
霊夢→デレ

Chihaya's route is filled with moe but both endings made me depressed
Old 2008-07-08, 21:01   Link #2200
Klashikari
阿賀野型3番艦、矢矧 Lv180
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sterling01 View Post
Chihaya's route is filled with moe but both endings made me depressed
After finishing her route, I can only second this statement.

Well, Chihaya's route proved that NatsuKana got the exact same syndrome than G senjou: main heroine got the love in term of character, development and plot.
To be quite honest, I was impressed by the routes, although I lowered my expectations because of Yuiko's and Sasara's routes.
In a nutshell, the plot was really well balanced and straightforward (which would look like a "Ef Chihiro" remake, but the twists and setups quickly prove otherwise): pace is just right and development of the characters are going very well.

Character wise, Chihaya is just one of the best heroine in any VN in my books, (along with G senjou Haru and Clannad Nagisa). It is just a shame that the endings are just the short end of a stick:
Ending 1 was really bitter, and the leading up to this was kinda unfair (to be honest, I think Chihaya went kinda overboard, considering how she loves Souta, so her decision in the end was really disappointing to say the least)
But ending 2 is just a fake "happy end": the deux ex machina was kinda lame... it just puts all the development in the toilet, the flush being pressed... I seriously think that they could at least use a proper deux ex machina for a nice wrapped happy (a la "key"), but heck no, this is bad in that regard.

I enjoyed pretty much the game, except few things ("System": those who played the game know what I mean). It is just a shame that the routes are utterly unbalanced and not on par to each other (Yuiko's being the weakest and the least interesting, with a awkward romance build up).

Pretty much like ExE review, here is a little "deeper thoughts".
Spoiler for routes and characters:

Technically, NatsuKana received the same quality treatment in character sprites and CG than ExE (god, I LOVE their artist(s)) with an outstanding job for the different backgrounds (and a nice effect of solar rays at time). In term of CG, it is nice to see Yuzusoft is a bit less stingy in that regard (more than ExE I think), still they could give more.
BGM are far more classic and match very well the situations, though some are still subpar. (OP and inserted songs are lovely).
Seiyuu: as usual, they are nice (Chihaya's seiyuu just pile up even more love for her :3), though I would say that Sasara's father voice is kinda soso in various instances.

Overall, NatsuKana is a nice VN, though it suffers a lot from the "core" drama element, which can be a bit jarring at times. Characters are likable (somewhat in a better level than ExE), but Yuiko's and Sasara's routes weren't satisfying much, while Chihaya's just got the shaft for the endings.
I would say that ExE is better overall, though NatsuKana is still worth the adventure, especially for Chihaya's route, which could be alright without the rest.
Slightly disappointed overall (globally for the game), I nevertherless enjoyed a lot the game, and I'm looking forward next Yuzusoft project.

Tags
bishoujo game, ero-game, eroge, visual novel