Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > General Anime

Notices

Old 2008-09-26, 12:11   Link #341
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Switizle View Post
I was wondering what you guys use to watch anime on? I current'y have a 4:3 19" But I want to upgrade to a larger 16:9 screen. I heard TN panels are bad for movies, but MVA / S-PVA ones are good for them, something about one displaying less colors then the other, I was wondering if this applies for anime as well
What I watch anime on depends on the format and who is watching with me. Licensed DVDs and fansubs I handle pretty much the same way.

My computer uses a Viewsonic 16:9 monitor - but I'm usually watching in Window mode rather than fullscreen. If other people are watching with me, I use the HDMI output to send it to the 25" 16:9 flatscreen tv we use for Wii/XBox fun so everyone can drape on the couch and floor pillows. I'll run that in fullscreen mode... that usually works but some encodes I have to drop back to a 4:3 window or something so the colors don't wash out.
Old 2008-09-26, 12:44   Link #342
wingdarkness
Retweet Member

Everything Fullscreen, No matter what...I'll tweak with it just enuff in either the monitor-settings, TV-settings, or Fddshow properties-settings to get it to look right...Nothing's more taurdish to me than having a nice big-monitor, or television, or HDTV, and having to settle on using just half the screen...It's like why did I buy this $hit? Don't even get me started on Widescreen DVD's that only uses half the screen on widescreen HDTV's..It's appaling! I FULLSCREEN IT ALL!!
Old 2008-09-26, 15:10   Link #343
DragoonKain3
Osana-Najimi Shipper

Personally, I use a Benq FP241W (a P-MVA panel), which I bought for around 600 bucks plus tax late last year. A very good 24 incher, plus it has more inputs than you can do with. Currently I have my 360, PS3, and my comp attached to it, and they all look fantastic at practically all but the sharpest of looking angles. Only problem I have though is that it doesn't have an audio out, so I need to switch my audio input to my soundcard if I want to move from the 360 to the PS3 or vice versa. (Any techies can help me with this though? I'm thinking of getting another soundcard since its the cheapest solution I can find right now)

I'm a bit miffed though that now there is an IPS (the best LCD panel FYI) 26 incher that costs less than a grand (the Planar PX2611W), which was my original budget for my monitor. So if you're into the best bang for the buck, then go with that. It's a steal as the next leading IPS panel competitor sells for around 30% more, at around 1200-1300 bucks.

But of course, not everyone has a grand lying around, so it really depends on your budget. I highly suggest you go for at least 24 inches though, so you can view 1080i/p at their native resolutions. Of course, I'd try to at least get an MVA panel at 24 inches, but if your budget is choosing between an MVA/IPS panel at less than 24 inches, and a TN panel at 24 inches, then I'd go with the latter.

Do note though that the monitor is the one piece of computer equipment that doesn't get obsolete quickly, so if there's anything you should 'futureproof' and spend the extra dough on, the monitor is the best choice.

Yes its YOU childhood friend - source of BERZERKER RAGE since forever
Childhood Friend couple STATISTICS(spoilers abound though)
DragoonKain3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-09-26, 22:41   Link #344
Switizle

Quote:
Originally Posted by DragoonKain3 View Post
Personally, I use a Benq FP241W (a P-MVA panel), which I bought for around 600 bucks plus tax late last year. A very good 24 incher, plus it has more inputs than you can do with. Currently I have my 360, PS3, and my comp attached to it, and they all look fantastic at practically all but the sharpest of looking angles. Only problem I have though is that it doesn't have an audio out, so I need to switch my audio input to my soundcard if I want to move from the 360 to the PS3 or vice versa. (Any techies can help me with this though? I'm thinking of getting another soundcard since its the cheapest solution I can find right now)

I'm a bit miffed though that now there is an IPS (the best LCD panel FYI) 26 incher that costs less than a grand (the Planar PX2611W), which was my original budget for my monitor. So if you're into the best bang for the buck, then go with that. It's a steal as the next leading IPS panel competitor sells for around 30% more, at around 1200-1300 bucks.

But of course, not everyone has a grand lying around, so it really depends on your budget. I highly suggest you go for at least 24 inches though, so you can view 1080i/p at their native resolutions. Of course, I'd try to at least get an MVA panel at 24 inches, but if your budget is choosing between an MVA/IPS panel at less than 24 inches, and a TN panel at 24 inches, then I'd go with the latter.

Do note though that the monitor is the one piece of computer equipment that doesn't get obsolete quickly, so if there's anything you should 'futureproof' and spend the extra dough on, the monitor is the best choice.
Right now I'm struggling to get another 100$ just to get a 24" TN panel, but I just wanted to make sure that I won't be missing out on anything if I do go with that, I found out that TN can't produce true 8bit color, but can only do 6bit. So like MVA panels have 16.7MIL colors, TN has 16.2mil or something like that. Anime uses alot of colors sometimes so I got a bid worried, but maybe it'll be okay. In real life movies theres millions of shades of colors, that's why people say it's bad for movies. But anime is more just flat color, so maybe it'll still look good lol
Switizle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-04, 12:57   Link #345
Amray

On a big plasma screen along with surround sound. It makes Studio Ghibli films much more mesmirising and breath-taking.

I buy all of my anime series' and movies on DVD.
Amray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-04, 13:09   Link #346
othera

I hire it out from video easy, watch it on a huge ass LCD while lying down on my couch.

Then i download episodes they dont have and watch it on my comp(Man VE sucks, they get like episodes 1-4 10-14 and 20-30 like wtf? :P)
othera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-13, 09:46   Link #347
Talsecas

I watch my DVDs on an LCD TV and the fansubs on my computer. Too much hassle to burn them to DVD to watch on the tv. I find big screen size isn't a big deal with anime, doesn't bother me watching on a 17" LCD for anime. In fact I can read the subs faster since my eyes don't have to move so far lol.
Talsecas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-13, 11:47   Link #348
Craymel

I use my computer for all my anime needs. Although I bought two ghibli films on dvd and couldn't play them with my operating system because of DRM so I ripped them both in high quality. When I'm alone at home I hook up my desktop up to mu 40" lcd tv. I hate using dvd player because they don't understand the concept of AUTO SCALE! I hate it when some one forces me to watch something they stretched out of it's original aspect ratio.
Old 2008-10-13, 12:11   Link #349
Obelik

Anyone builds a HTPC for anime watching on a HDTV? If so, what's the specs? I am thinking about building one.
Obelik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-14, 09:27   Link #350
Mega-Japan
Capuchuuuuuuuuuu!!!

Send a message via AIM to Mega-Japan Send a message via Yahoo to Mega-Japan
I'm pretty sure most people watch it straight out from the computers.
Old 2008-10-14, 13:19   Link #351
Strahan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obelik View Post
Anyone builds a HTPC for anime watching on a HDTV? If so, what's the specs? I am thinking about building one.
You don't really need a powerhouse. My HTPC is 3.2ghz, 2GB RAM, Radeon X1300. Even that is overkill as far as CPU goes, but I also use the HTPC to play Battlefield and Half-Life 2. If all you do is watch video, hell, even my Athlon XP 1800 (1.5ghz) box with 512mb RAM can play videos nicely.

I also always recommend a USB-UIRT & Promixis Girder for HTPC builds. It's a USB infrared receiver/transmitter. Very very useful. I bought one of them and programmed Girder and a generic RCA universal remote to control everything. It's alot nicer to use a regular remote to control your HTPC than a keyboard. Also the transmission feature is cool because I can press one button and have it turn on my projector, switch it to PC input, turn on my receiver, switch to the PC audio and fire up ZoomPlayer all automatically.
Strahan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-16, 22:37   Link #352
Solidus1321

Send a message via Yahoo to Solidus1321
I watch my anime naked o.O...j/k nah stright to comp for me, about the only way I can watch it, unless there something on comcast or adult swim, or pull out a few old dvds i have seen 100 times.
Solidus1321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-17, 03:47   Link #353
yachiru_no_hana

Send a message via Yahoo to yachiru_no_hana
I watch through DVD's, if only I can upgrade myself an HDTV so I can play HD h.264 and mkv packs for better quality and I'll just sit back and grab myself a food, over my PC.
yachiru_no_hana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-17, 16:09   Link #354
Maha
Century Killer

Send a message via AIM to Maha
Ill watch anime in whatever way they are given to me. Let it be at a friends house. My room. On the computer. Or in my main room on a 65" TV. I just sit back and watch. (Yet i prefer the room not to be over hot)
Maha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-17, 17:49   Link #355
Shinigami_Mello
All hail Oyashiro-sama

Send a message via MSN to Shinigami_Mello
On my computer usually, and never full screen because it's easier to watch the screen and the subtitles at the same time without missing anything.
Shinigami_Mello is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-17, 20:39   Link #356
Last Sinner
You're Hot, Cupcake

DVD player at home is under lock and key and always has been so I can't use that.

I either watch anime once a week at the university anime club on semi-decent projectors in lecture theatres that are made by engineers with fail. For 2 years, the place watched anime in was nicknamed "The Rathole', because it is so flocking bad. Not to mention the 'Stairs of Natural Selection'. These days we watch anime in either "The Cubbyhouse' (room is okay but the canvas for the projector fails)or 'Aqua Veta' (decent projector but for 1/3 of the room, you can't see subtitles due to some clown putting the front desk in the wrong place). Ironically the best projector int hat university is in a tutorial room that no one uses and it doesn't have proper playing capabilities. University rationale...why it defies logic, no one knows. -_-

I also watch it at home. On a computer from the late 1990s. -_- So only half the stuff I have actually works. (5-20 second delay between audio and visual on the other half). But I'm getting a computer of my own soon, since my mother has been so stubborn about upgrading the current one.
Old 2008-10-17, 20:51   Link #357
dragon4dudes
Uncountable rationality

Send a message via MSN to dragon4dudes
I prefer watching it commercial free like on a computer or laptop/notebook or DVD/VHS. However if it is on the TV, I'll watch it anyways

Time is an illusion. Lunchtime doubly so. Douglas Adams
Where facts are few, experts are many. Donald R. Gannon

void foo() {foo();} // Can you guess what this line of code does?
dragon4dudes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-11-17, 02:33   Link #358
Zwei
Natural Born Killer
*Graphic Designer

How do you watch anime?

I always have been curious how people get to watch anime (and no, I'm not talking about where to get anime). Now that I'm waiting for the OP song of the anime Texhnolyze to finish, I've gotten around asking this question...

How do you watch anime?

Do you sit on your computer chair while watching anime?

Do you crawl into the bed?

Do you eat or smoke during anime?

Do distractions bother you?

Do you prefer watching anime alone?

Do you sometimes pause the video to check a particular something?

Do you sometimes think about something else while watching anime?

etc. etc.
Old 2009-11-17, 03:24   Link #359
npcomplete

How do you watch anime?
PC/laptop (even for dvds/bds)

Yes

No

No

Yes

I occasionally watched with friends a long time ago. Now I just watch alone. I don't mind watching with others who would enjoy the show but it's more convenient to watch alone.

Yes. (one of the advantages of watching alone btw )

No
npcomplete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-11-17, 03:40   Link #360
K_Babyy
Fullmetal Heart

Haha, this seems fun.

How do you watch anime?
On my laptop.

No

Most of the time.

Nahh.

Yes, that's why there's headphones!

Sometimes my brother tunes in.

Rarely.

No, I think about what I'm watching.
K_Babyy is offline   Reply With Quote