AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Macross > Past Macross Series

Notices

Old 2007-12-23, 18:32   Link #141
7Th
Mixtape

Hey, the first minutes before the title screen were nice! Subdued but memorable, with some sweet nuanced animation for the movements the pop-idol girl does when waking up. The overall visual composition is in the line of a more polished Aquarion and if they keep this up I may have to eat up my disbelief in the staff!
7Th is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-12-23, 19:24   Link #142
Woland
Latin Rascal

About 4 minutes, and it's visually quite impressive (smooth characters animation, on total different level of those stiff mannequin of Gundam 00 ). Of course, it's the first episode and it could be misleading (and I'm too not confident about part of the staff) but so far is good; the music too is fitting and beautiful, as expected from Kanno U_U
Woland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-12-23, 19:36   Link #143
7Th
Mixtape

Finished the episode, wasn't extremely blown away by the action sequences but it was a certainly VERY solid first episode. The space dog-fight was probably the least interesting scene, with terribly rendered asteroids and a very tedious scripting when compared to the really well-done ground showdown. The mechanics for the final atmosphere-level combat felt very “weighty” when compared to the usual CGI stuff, you can tell there was some actual degree of key work beyond the initial piece modeling.
7Th is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-12-23, 19:45   Link #144
flou
That's no lady

In the middle of watching. This is some of the best CG I've scene in an anime, so I'm pretty impressed Spring is looking out to be great.
flou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-12-23, 19:58   Link #145
MrProphet
The Commissar Vanishes

Send a message via ICQ to MrProphet
Very nice. Not Zero-level quality, but pretty amazing for TV-series.

The characters are a pastiche of former Macross heroes. Ranka is like Minmei and Mylene rolled into one. Sheryl is Misa with a little bit of Sharon Apple. The local Roy Fokker is just too obvious. The story is, for now at least, SDFM and 7 put together.

But I liked it very much indeed. Cool fights, great animation, vivid colors. It's a tribute to Macross alright. But it could turn out great as a stand-alone series as well.
MrProphet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-12-23, 20:28   Link #146
pinoy78
Yahk, DECULTURE!

Macross is BACK....and very, very beautiful looking.
pinoy78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-12-23, 22:38   Link #147
solomon

Checked it, managed to understand a fair gist of the dialogue. I loved how they made fun of how girly alto looks (so I dont have to). 3d looks awesome, and nakashima sounds really cute as Ranka. Ep was conventional but really shiny looking, those aliens looked wierd. Overall not a bad start, lets see how good it'll get later.
solomon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-12-24, 00:18   Link #148
Ottocycle

That was quite the cliffhanger to leave us on for one cour and one week.

But yeah, nothing the above posters haven't said. Very shiny and well executed, with movie-level animation for Ranka too.
Sheryl's song(probably the OP) fitted the combat scenes, but strangely feels detached from the actual concert though.
Ottocycle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-12-24, 00:56   Link #149
Nightengale
~Night of Gales~
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by humbug23 View Post
But yeah, nothing the above posters haven't said. Very shiny and well executed, with movie-level animation for Ranka too.
For that hair, amirite? XP

Anyway, just watched it. Liked it a lot. The animation seemed a little stiff near the parts with the Alto-hime and his friends, but definitely felt more fluent and nice coming down the parts with Ranka, Sheryl and towards the end. The CG was decent and well executed indeed. At least it wasn't glaring and color-wise, integrates well with the background and movement.

All in all, it was a predictable episode. Aside from the jet-fliers thing, and how Alto and Sheryl meets, it went just about the way I thought it would, with Alto meeting chinese Macross girl, fights outside dragging into colony/wherever Alto is, and VF-jack.

Now to see how Alto gets his first kill, gets himself into military mumbo-jumbo for piloting that thing, somehow gets recruited one way or another, and still be a school student.

The sleeping lion shall awaken beyond the depths of time, crossing ten billion lights, come to Terra.
Nightengale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-12-24, 01:39   Link #150
pinoy78
Yahk, DECULTURE!

This is gonna be four LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOONG and ANXIOUS months of waiting.

It's a good thing the premiere was so friggin good.
Old 2007-12-24, 02:11   Link #151
Shouta
Infinite-Zero/Translator

Very awesome stuff. It was basically a mixing of SDF Macross and Macross 7's first episodes and it turned out really well.

Just some random musings about the ep:

Spoiler:
Shouta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-12-24, 02:37   Link #152
Alto-hime
Aspiring Translator

Send a message via AIM to Alto-hime
Looks like this is the first of many fansub versions to come. Thought you'd be interested in seeing.

link to torrent
Alto-hime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-12-24, 02:47   Link #153
khryoleoz
Power of 9 SoShi-ist

For all the predictable elements in it, this was outstanding! A contemporary version of the original movie theme for the ED is also a nice touch. This being 2008's most anticipated release for me, I'm looking forward to more of it.

Last edited by khryoleoz; 2007-12-24 at 02:59.
khryoleoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-12-24, 03:11   Link #154
pinoy78
Yahk, DECULTURE!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shouta View Post
Very awesome stuff. It was basically a mixing of SDF Macross and Macross 7's first episodes and it turned out really well.

Just some random musings about the ep:

Spoiler:
OOOOOOOOOOOOH man. No wonder Ozma is so bad ass.
Old 2007-12-24, 03:27   Link #155
Shouta
Infinite-Zero/Translator

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinoy78 View Post
OOOOOOOOOOOOH man. No wonder Ozma is so bad ass.
Yeah.

Spoiler:
Old 2007-12-24, 03:52   Link #156
Ottocycle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightengale View Post
For that hair, amirite? XP
Indeed, or rather for that little forestwalk. The effort on her degrades a little when she does the dance for the CM though.

That said, Nakajima's voice acting doesn't sit well with me as yet, even if the theme songs are pretty ok. A little Sakamoto Maaya-ish if I might add.

Even Nakamura managed to eclipse her performance, not to mention that short scene with Kuwashima(Meganekko) and Ohkawa(Stereotypical Chinese cook) in the restaurant.

Ah well. She's still holding up fine for a first-timer though.
Old 2007-12-24, 03:56   Link #157
xris
Just call me Ojisan

Could someone confirm that...

Macross 25 = Macross Frontier = Macross F = Macross 25th anniversary work

That is, the new Macross series that aired yesterday (?) on the 23rd December. Or was this episode just released a early "sampler" of the new seires? If so, when does the series actually start?

If so, then it would seem the thread needs to be renamed (to Macross Frontier) and moved to the Fansubbed forum.
xris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-12-24, 04:01   Link #158
Shouta
Infinite-Zero/Translator

Quote:
Originally Posted by xris View Post
Could someone confirm that...

Macross 25 = Macross Frontier = Macross F = Macross 25th anniversary work

That is, the new Macross series that aired yesterday (?) on the 23rd December.

If so, then it would seem the thread needs to be renamed (to Macross Frontier) and moved to the Fansubbed forum.
The Macross 25th Anniversary thing was an interview segment + the first episode of Macross Frontier which aired yesterday. It's a special preview and the rest of the series won't air until March/April.

Also, the sub posted above has a really off translation for anyone wondering. I just finished downloading it and was skimming the dialogue. Just edit my post if I'm not supposed to cmment on it. >_>
Old 2007-12-24, 04:07   Link #159
Ottocycle

The final seconds of the trailer show that the last 3 nouns refer to the same show. Which probably means that the first is correct anyway.
Old 2007-12-24, 04:11   Link #160
Shouta
Infinite-Zero/Translator

Quote:
Originally Posted by humbug23 View Post
The final seconds of the trailer show that the last 3 nouns refer to the same show. Which probably means that the first is correct anyway.
I was thinking xris meant the special itself or the entire show for this thread.

Anyway, yeah. Macross Frontier would be the "Macross 25" that the title refers to. We just didn't know the name then

Tags
action, romance