AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2008-04-02, 14:57   Link #1161
Kaoru Chujo
Yuuki Aoi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chiibi View Post
I have to ask...why is it that everyone seems to hate Kuu and the series in general yet they love Setsuna? I don't get it. I really don't.
As a connoisseur of weak and weepy anime girls, I think Kuu is among the greatest. I think a lot of people simply don't like the type, and do like Setsuna's type. Fair enough.

Matsuoka Yuki did a great job with Setsuna, too. But Yahagi Sayuri is one of my favorite seiyuu in roles like Kuu or Karin. This upcoming season, she is in ToLoveRu, and Net Ghost Pipopa.

I continue to think this show took its admitted cliches to a higher level and was a really good anime. Other people may simply hate the cliches, or cliches in general. That's fair, too.

For me, this show was quite formalistic, not very realistic or naturalistic. In a way, it reminded me of aspects of Utena in that way. Some people may not like that approach.

I also think that people often judge anime characters based on who they would approve of in real life. I treat anime more as fantasy, and find myself accepting weakness. Of course, I do that in real life, too, so maybe that's part of it.

By the way, I like "Shattered Angels" as a title. Works for me.
YUUKI Aoi 悠木碧. b92.03.27 (age 29). 2008 Kurenai (Murasaki). 2009 Yumeiro Pâtissière (Ichigo), Kiruminzuu (Riko), Yutori-chan (Yutori-chan). 2010 Vampire Bund (Mina Tepeş), Shiki (Sunako), Samurai Girls (Juubee), Pokémon: Black and White (Iris). 2011 Madoka Magica (Madoka), Gosick (Victorique), A-Channel (Tooru). 2012 Symphogear (Hibiki). 2014 Pilot's Love Song (Claire/Nina), Nanatsu no Taizai (Diane). 2015 Owari no Seraph (Krul Tepes), Rokka no Yuusha (Fremy). 2016 Boku no Hero Academia (Tsuyu, Froppy). 2017 Kino no Tabi (Kino). 2021 Kumo desu ga (watashi), Kaizoku Oujo (Karin), Heike Monogatari (Biwa), etc., etc. Total of 513 roles in anime and games.
Kaoru Chujo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-04, 16:50   Link #1162
Chiibi
Vanitas owns you >:3

Send a message via AIM to Chiibi Send a message via MSN to Chiibi
Quote:
I think a lot of people simply don't like the type, and do like Setsuna's type. Fair enough.
I'm opposite I guess. XD But I don't see how she's so weak and wimpy. Not at all. Nor do I see how the series is cliche. I can't think of other titles that are just like this. This is Kaishaku's "Tsubasa".
Old 2009-08-30, 14:30   Link #1163
AngelBaby465
:D nya

Location: his name is squishy and he shall be mine and he shall be my squishy :D
were can i buy the manga
AngelBaby465 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-10-03, 22:22   Link #1164
Malkuth
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Malkuth
I just railroaded the show ... better than I expected, especially the mid episodes had some good twists; it's a shame I did not watch it when it originally aired. Anyway, poor Setsuna, why did she stick to that idiot, though he gets less annoying after his brother returns. Also despite Himeko and Chikane were supporting characters they stole many episodes, and I kind of understand why Kaishaku stick with them.

Anyway, cute little show, not as good as Kannazuki no Miko, but certainly worth the time. OK, off now to railroad Kagihime

By the way are there any significant differences from the manga?
Malkuth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-11-04, 01:02   Link #1165
NoemiChan
Banned

Send a message via Yahoo to NoemiChan
Hope, Chikane gets her butt kick by Ayanokoji Koshiro. Hahahahahah!!!!

That would be great. I'll try it then.
NoemiChan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-11-04, 03:11   Link #1166
Shinji103
Crazy Devout Fanboy

Location: 1st Ra Cailum-class battleship Ra Cailum, port-side officer's bunks
The only problem I saw in this show as that they never actually explained why Setsuna was so devoted to Kyoshiro. (and yes, it's because she loves him, but what brought that kind of devotion about?) I had gone into the DVD specials expecting/hoping to see some explanation behind this, but instead we just got where Setsuna got the bell in here hair.

Other than that though, I loved this series, and it definitely scored higher with me than Kannazuki no Miko. (the sudden plot twist/change of bad guy towards the end of KnM, plus the ending itself, were.....somewhat , in a bad way, to put it lightly...)
Old 2013-02-05, 15:01   Link #1167
VTHokiePride

Sorry for resurrecting this thread, but I too just finished this show. I'm sad I never watched this when it first aired. I liked Setsuna a lot, but Ku seemed really wimpy. I wished the plot had more background on each of Kyoshiro's siblings and why his family had chosen to do the research on the Absolute Angels. The relationship between Sojiro and Jin intrigued me and I wish the writers explained it a bit more. The ending was really sad, but I liked how everything came full circle when her dream became real when her reincarnation was found by Kyoshiro and Setsuna. Overall, the anime was better than I expected it to be. I wouldn't mind having a season 2, but I'm pretty sure it's not possible because it's been so long since it was originally aired, the manga has finished, and Kyoshiro is much older.
VTHokiePride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-02-06, 19:56   Link #1168
Mazryonh

Quote:
Originally Posted by VTHokiePride View Post
I wouldn't mind having a season 2, but I'm pretty sure it's not possible because it's been so long since it was originally aired, the manga has finished, and Kyoshiro is much older.
I got the original manga volumes myself and yes, the source material for this show is quite short. There are a few changed aspects, though I honestly think the anime did a little better. One of the changed aspects is that Kyoshiro is shown to become sexually involved with Setsuna in the third (and final volume), though I don't think the author put that in for any other reason than fanservice.

I quite enjoyed hearing Sayuri Yahagi's performance as Kuu in this anime (especially her breakdown at the end of Episode 6). Yuki Matsuoka's performance as Setsuna was also quite good--hearing her transition from a happy maid to a tragic figure was classic. That's why I chose to buy the NA DVDs for this series recently.

This show is an example of how you can take limited source material and turn it into something memorably good. I doubt the original authors (Kaishaku) would want to expand this, but there is some potential for a sequel with the right amount of creativity.
Mazryonh is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
action, fantasy, kaishaku, romance, shounen