AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Death Note

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2007-07-01, 01:16   Link #181
Renchan

Watashi and Boku(and Ore) has same meaning with I.
Old 2007-07-01, 18:58   Link #182
Auro
Harmlessly Eccentric

Send a message via MSN to Auro
Thanks, I did know that
But I was trying to remember why L said Watashi and Light said Boku - I remember reading that there was a reason.
Anyway I thought no one would reply and later I managed to ask a friend who speaks Japanese. So I guess I'll put the answer here then

~ Watashi is really just more formal and used mostly by anyone.
~ Boku, is something that would identify L as a male.
~ Ore is something a 'tough' guy would say.
But all except Ore are written in the same kanji.
Old 2007-07-01, 20:40   Link #183
Zek
Eyebrows...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Draender View Post
"How to Use: XXX (#30): If you have traded the eye power of a god of death, you will see a person's primary life span in the human world."

You'll see how long they will most likely live. It apparently includes all events that occur within the human world but excludes intervention by the death note and shinigami. The lifespan is referred to as a date but it also seems to be treated as a quantity. It may be something that only shinigami know how to interpret.

Here is the evidence...

As mentioned earlier Misa's original lifespan included being stabbed by a stalker. Jealous and Rem knew her original lifespan and gathered to watch Misa's life end.

During the course of the anime series we see Light's and Misa's lifespans twice. First, when Rem was talking with Light, Misa and Ryuk in episode 14. Here Misa's lifespan was "1542306" and Light's lifespan was "93302639". Rem told Light that if Misa dies before that date then Rem would assume Light killed her and Rem would kill Light. Later, in episode 24 after the Yotsuba incident, Misa gets Ryuk as her shinigami and makes the deal for shinigami eyes a second time. When Misa goes with Ryuk to visit Light her lifespan changed to "56873", but Light's lifespan stayed the same and remained "93302639".

I don't have episode 29, but I recall that the organized crime mobsters that were part of Mello's gang had various lifespans visible. Their life expectancy did not include the death note being used to schedule their deaths. Their names and lifespans simply vanished from their photographs when they were killed by the death note. I also remember that we saw Soichiro's lifespan in episode 29 when he was in the hospital bed; it was a low number but it was not near zero when he died. I would guess that Soichiro's lifespan from the start of the series would have remained constant until he made the deal with Ryuk for shinigami eyes.

The meaning of lifespan and how it works is something that keeps getting discussed over and over in this thread. It was also discussed in the threads for episode 14, 24 and 29. What it comes down to is that the lifespan is inconsistent and if you are writing a fanfic you can pretty much use it however you wish.
The lifespan isn't a timer, it's a date. Evidence is, as you said, Light's lifespan. And yes, I know that killing someone with a death note ignores their life span. My question is how that explains people who die because of the actions of people with death notes, or people who are at risk of being executed because of the death note. Can people's lifespans be changed simply because the death note enters their lives?
Old 2007-07-01, 22:03   Link #184
Draender

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zek View Post
Can people's lifespans be changed simply because the death note enters their lives?
Because we never see someone's lifespan before the death note was already a part of their life, it appears that we'll never be certain.

One of the rules...
How to Use It XVIII (#18): An individual with the eye power of a god of death can tell the name and life span of other humans by looking at that person's face. By possessing the Death Note, an individual gains the ability to kill and stops being a victim. From this point, a person with the Death Note cannot see the life span of other Death Note owners, including him/herself. But, it is not really necessary for the individual to view the life span of him/herself nor other Death Note owners.
Suggests that a person's lifespan does not change when the death note enters their life because the influence of supernatural forces are not included in the lifespan and it stops being accurate.

Last edited by Draender; 2007-07-01 at 22:21.
Old 2007-07-07, 13:49   Link #185
Draender

Quote:
Originally Posted by cool_girl View Post
A. Is there any official site of Death Note?

I was just curious
U.S. official anime website... http://deathnote.viz.com/

This is the closest thing there is to a U.S. official manga website... http://www.viz.com/products/products.php?series_id=392

Japanese official anime website... http://www.ntv.co.jp/deathnote/

Japanese official manga website... http://jump.shueisha.co.jp/deathnote/
Old 2007-07-08, 15:30   Link #186
cool_girl

^^^Thanx a lot
Old 2007-07-27, 20:35   Link #187
RecurringNightmare
The Darkness In Your Mind

Send a message via MSN to RecurringNightmare
Is there any word what the writer of DN is working on next (If anything at all?)?

Thanks.
Old 2007-08-04, 10:07   Link #188
Yami no umeboshi

I've read books 1-5 and I think it's really boring when
Spoiler for Death note:

Thanks in advance
Old 2007-08-05, 09:15   Link #189
Echoes

If you really want to be spoiled:
Spoiler for The answer:
Spoiler for A little more details:
Old 2007-08-06, 02:45   Link #190
Yami no umeboshi

ok thanks
Old 2007-08-08, 15:33   Link #191
Hiking_Bear

I was going to ask the question about what happens when the Death note is full, and someone said that there is a rule that the Death note will never run out of pages. Then, shouldn't the death notebook keep getting larger and larger? Or does it delete entries that are older than a certain date? Also, I was thinking that if it never runs out of pages, you could potentially make a whole library of Death notes by continuously tearing out pages from the original notebook and then rebinding them into separate books of 100 pages or so.
Old 2007-08-09, 07:07   Link #192
Echoes

You could potentially do that, the details of how the book replenishes its pages are not known, however.
Old 2007-08-09, 08:37   Link #193
animernq

Death Note banned in China

I was reading an article in the Independent where they said that Rush Hour 3 has been banned in China and this article also detailed other banned media. It specifically mentions Death Note, saying it was banned for '[promoting] death fantasies'. Is it true that Death Note was banned?

Here is a link to the article:
http://news.independent.co.uk/world/...cle2846542.ece
Old 2007-08-09, 08:39   Link #194
Theowne
耳をすませば

I'm not sure if it was specifically banned, however there was plenty of controversy and I think the manga was banned in schools.

My Site - Reviews collection, Sheet music, and etc.
Anime reviews/blog, piano arrangements, Studio Ghibli..
Old 2007-08-14, 21:58   Link #195
Unclouded

Send a message via AIM to Unclouded
in the 3rd episode of deathnote the police inspector has extremely good pronounciation of the letter "L" i've heard that the letter "L" does not exist in the japanese language... if so, than how do the japanese voice-over artists reproduce this sound so very well? in other anime i've heard this consonant replaced with a soft "r" sound that somehow very closely resembles the "L" sound and I found this impressive. I am also a linguist registered with IPA and study different languages and I am only asking so that I can get better at pronouncing unfamiliar words myself =p
Old 2007-08-15, 01:52   Link #196
Echoes

I didn't really notice the splendid pronunciation in episode 3, but they usually pronounce his name as "Eru" in the rest of the show.
Old 2007-09-10, 08:58   Link #197
Kristen
*Author

Spoiler for Late Episodes:
Old 2007-09-10, 18:48   Link #198
CJL13
God of his own ego

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrissieXD View Post
Spoiler:
Old 2007-09-10, 20:31   Link #199
Echoes

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrissieXD View Post
Spoiler for explanation (last episode):
Old 2007-09-13, 14:44   Link #200
rana_desu
derranged member

Send a message via Yahoo to rana_desu
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hiking_Bear View Post
I was going to ask the question about what happens when the Death note is full, and someone said that there is a rule that the Death note will never run out of pages. Then, shouldn't the death notebook keep getting larger and larger? Or does it delete entries that are older than a certain date? Also, I was thinking that if it never runs out of pages, you could potentially make a whole library of Death notes by continuously tearing out pages from the original notebook and then rebinding them into separate books of 100 pages or so.
When the death note is full, it's either the user stops writing on it, or the user asks for another note from the shinigami... you can read this in the chapter 0 of the manga...
Closed Thread

Tags
childhood, deathnote, history, lawliet, past