AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Madoka Magica

Notices

Old 2012-08-25, 03:33   Link #481
Kazu-kun

Quote:
Originally Posted by AuraTwilight View Post
In fairness, Homura's not exactly a freak; it's just an idiosyncrasy of her magic. She made a wish that tied her to Madoka's timeline forever, so it logically follows that the magical connection allows her to follow Madoka and remember her.
Her wish allowed her to travel through time, but this and going outside of time are pretty different things. Now of course is all an affect of her wish, but what I mean is that it isn't all that logical.

And about her powers. Madoka wished many different things in different timelines, not always saving the cat, yet she always had the same powers (at least her main weapons) so I don't know how much a wish affects a magical girl's power after all. Besides, Homura's power in the new world resembles Madoka's only in that she uses a bow, but she also has wings, which Madoka didn't have. Plus there's also that special attack, corrosive wings, which I'm pretty sure is not normal.

So yeah, I think she's quite the freak magical girl myself. But that's what makes her so awesome so it's all good.
Old 2012-08-25, 04:46   Link #482
AuraTwilight
The True Culprit

Send a message via AIM to AuraTwilight Send a message via MSN to AuraTwilight
Quote:
Her wish allowed her to travel through time, but this and going outside of time are pretty different things. Now of course is all an affect of her wish, but what I mean is that it isn't all that logical.
It's entirely logical, in a dream-like, fairytale sort of way. Her wish tied her destiny to Madoka's irrevocably. That's basically what she wished for. Her world became all about Madoka. So when Madoka leaves the world, Homura follows. Her magic TRANSCENDS TIME, that's what time travel DOES, so leaving time, transcending it literally, shouldn't be a problem. Isn't Homura outside of time when she's walking the tunnel from one timeline to another?

Quote:
And about her powers. Madoka wished many different things in different timelines, not always saving the cat, yet she always had the same powers (at least her main weapons) so I don't know how much a wish affects a magical girl's power after all. Besides, Homura's power in the new world resembles Madoka's only in that she uses a bow, but she also has wings, which Madoka didn't have. Plus there's also that special attack, corrosive wings, which I'm pretty sure is not normal.
Because the intentions behind Madoka's wish are always the same. Whether it's to save a cat, or to save her town, or to save Homura, or to save all Magical Girls, of all time and space. Madoka always wishes for the power to save others at her own expense if necessary. So in every timeline, that is what she becomes.

Homura, regardless of what her wish might be in this timeline, is certainly doing that intent. She is living out Madoka's wish of saving the world at her own expense. So that is what she becomes.

As for the wings? Well, we don't really know what Madoka was capable of. She MIGHT'VE had wings. How much screentime do we really have of her as a Puella Magi, honestly? But even if she DIDN'T, I don't think it matters, because her magic is still evoking Madoka, who is a divine being.

She has wings because she is modeling herself after a quite literal angel, by this point. And magic certainly doesn't care about your notions of linear causality. As for the corrosive wings, my personal thought on that was an idiosyncrasy.

Soul Gems fill up with despair. When they fill up with despair, Magical Girls meet Madoka. Homura knows this, and meeting Madoka is her ultimate hope. Therefore, she can never fall into despair. Therefore, instead, her Soul Gem empties out her Grief in the form of a badass attack.

Yea boi.
Old 2012-08-25, 05:02   Link #483
Kazu-kun

^ Well, I posted my theories, you posted yours, but it's not like either of us can prove any of this. We'll have to wait and see what the movie brings to the table.
Old 2012-08-25, 16:10   Link #484
AuraTwilight
The True Culprit

It probably won't; the series doesn't really go into the mechanics of magic very much, but it does seem to have a semantic tie to their wish. Mami, for example, is canonically said to have her ribbon power because she wished to live. Because her wish reaffirms her 'ties to life', this is reflected by ribbons she can tie thing with.

Not that she actually used the words "tied to life" in her wish, according to the PSP. Which means the logic of the wish goes beyond the exact wording.
Old 2012-08-25, 17:16   Link #485
VampirePaladin

Is that some new animation in the new trailer I see?

http://youtu.be/60TMm2sQTBU
VampirePaladin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-25, 18:50   Link #486
Solace
(ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻

Quote:
She isn't. She doesn't have her shield.
The problem is the ending of the story throws a lot of stuff out that isn't explained. How can Homura remember everything? Why can Madoka's brother remember her? How can Homura hear Madoka at the end? This completely contradicts Kyubey's statements that Madoka would be completely erased from existence. What is the true miracle Madoka spoke of?

I'm of the opinion that the ending was made with no thought to a possible continuation of the story, so it will be interesting to see how Gen continues it in the third movie. The only thing I'm fairly certain of is that Homura was not turning into a Witch at the end.

Oh and Madoka did have wings in her ultimate form. This is depicted in both the anime and in promotional art/merchandise. Homura's new powers are a direct rip of Madoka's.
Old 2012-08-25, 19:05   Link #487
Kazu-kun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solace View Post
Oh and Madoka did have wings in her ultimate form.
That's interesting. Madoka did have wings, yes, but only in her ultimate form, when she was a lot more powerful than in her early incarnations. So it can be assumed that, since Homura has wings in the new world, she's also more powerful than she was before. Well, considering her corrosive wings attack it's pretty much a fact that she's stronger, but anyway...

The question is, why is she more powerful?

We know the power of a magical girl is dictated by her karma, so it would be interesting to see if Gen can explain how Homura got her new powers and how it relates to her karma in the new world.

I think it would be a waste to make a movie centered on Homura and not addressing all this stuff. I want to know!!
Old 2012-08-26, 00:48   Link #488
AuraTwilight
The True Culprit

Quote:
The problem is the ending of the story throws a lot of stuff out that isn't explained. How can Homura remember everything? Why can Madoka's brother remember her? How can Homura hear Madoka at the end? This completely contradicts Kyubey's statements that Madoka would be completely erased from existence. What is the true miracle Madoka spoke of?
Well, in fairness to Homura's memory, she's all about remembering other timelines, and her 'soul' is from outside the world Madoka created.

And Kyubey doesn't know how magic works. He only has empirical experience to work off of and there's no precedent for what Madoka did. Everything else can simply be Madoka having an ephemeral, spiritual presence in her world.

Quote:
That's interesting. Madoka did have wings, yes, but only in her ultimate form, when she was a lot more powerful than in her early incarnations. So it can be assumed that, since Homura has wings in the new world, she's also more powerful than she was before. Well, considering her corrosive wings attack it's pretty much a fact that she's stronger, but anyway...

The question is, why is she more powerful?
Why wouldn't she be? She's the prophet to a goddess. ^_^

Quote:
We know the power of a magical girl is dictated by her karma, so it would be interesting to see if Gen can explain how Homura got her new powers and how it relates to her karma in the new world.
Homura tied her karma to Madoka Kaname. Madoka Kaname is now an omnipotent multidimensional being. Woom.
Old 2012-08-26, 04:59   Link #489
Kazu-kun

Quote:
Homura tied her karma to Madoka Kaname. Madoka Kaname is now an omnipotent multidimensional being. Woom.
Well, I have theories of my own too, but what I want is a canon explanation.

Last edited by Kazu-kun; 2012-08-26 at 05:30.
Kazu-kun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-26, 07:41   Link #490
1337_haxor

Cool Well...

I think Homura became the new pinnacle for threads of fate after Madoka created a new universe.

I have the idea that the third movie is a role reversal from the original story, in that sense, the forces of evil are encroaching Homura and Madoka needs to save her soul or the universe will be plunged into a nightmare.
1337_haxor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-26, 08:32   Link #491
BaKaBaKaOtaKu
Stupidity is Bliss.

Quote:
30-second commercial began airing for the first two Puella Magi Madoka Magica films on Saturday, and it features the new theme song "Luminous" by the teenaged female duo ClariS.
Source: http://www.animenewsnetwork.co.uk/ne...-by-claris-duo
BaKaBaKaOtaKu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-26, 08:48   Link #492
HasuMasu
*Artist

More ClariS? I approve.
Old 2012-08-26, 09:35   Link #493
Kazu-kun

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1337_haxor View Post
I have the idea that the third movie is a role reversal from the original story, in that sense, the forces of evil are encroaching Homura and Madoka needs to save her soul or the universe will be plunged into a nightmare.
But Madoka can't affect the real world. Besides she already saved Homura. A real role-reversal would be for Homura to do some successful saving of her own.
Old 2012-08-26, 10:26   Link #494
Kimidori
The Opened Ultimate Gate

such visual improvement

Old 2012-08-26, 15:55   Link #495
1337_haxor

Cool Well...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimidori View Post
such visual improvement

With the huge profit they made it would be an insult not to spent a lot on better effects.
1337_haxor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-26, 19:56   Link #496
Animexcel

That feel of overconfidence Mami had during her transformation scenes are gone. She knows she is doomed, haha.
Animexcel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-27, 10:19   Link #497
maximilianjenus
[E]

Quote:
No it's not; you are completely and totally making things up. Homura does not seem to have the ability to control her time travel except for pausing it, much less time travel to make specific body parts younger (and how the fuck would that even work on EYESIGHT?) However, we DO know Puella Magi in general can use magic to improve their healing rates, turn off pain receptors, and other minor body modifications. Why wouldn't the Incubators include capabilities to deal with handicaps like sight and hearing?
Afaik, the accepted explanatino for homura fixing her eyesight is just that, she made her eyes "younger". when did things change and another explanation was used?
maximilianjenus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-27, 10:27   Link #498
Witch of Uncertainty

Quote:
I like to think that New!World Homura wished to heal Amy, evoking Madoka's Puella Magi powers and continuing the tradition of Amy being saved in every possible universe.
I know nothing about this. Where can I find out more?
Witch of Uncertainty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-27, 11:05   Link #499
maximilianjenus
[E]

it was a drama cd, the one that said that madoka saved ami, if you mean homura saving ami , that's not canon, is just something aura wished, as said by her post.

Is there a place with specualtions/discussion on how homura time travelling works ? since it seems to be more of a universe hoping instead of time reset, so it seems to be closer to higurashi than to back to the future.
maximilianjenus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-27, 11:15   Link #500
AuraTwilight
The True Culprit

Quote:
Afaik, the accepted explanatino for homura fixing her eyesight is just that, she made her eyes "younger". when did things change and another explanation was used?
And I'm saying it's not necessary, since it's already been demonstrated that Magical Girls can "optimize" their bodies. Homura's time control also never worked that way in any other instance, ever.

Quote:
I know nothing about this. Where can I find out more?
In the first Drama CD, Homura is inspired by Madoka having used her wish to save Amy, a black cat she found, revived, and named. So when Homura started to prevent Madoka from contracting, step one is always to save Amy before she can get hurt, mostly as an honor to Madoka's kindness. It'd kind of suck for Amy if Madoka's new world was the one timeline it wasn't saved in. :P

Tags
madoka magica, movie