AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat

Notices

Old 2004-08-01, 22:53   Link #1
andrew_null

Help make BitTorrent better!

I've been using BitTorrent for a couple months now, and I LOVE it. There's no better way to get full-motion movies than forums like AnimeSuki ...

A buddy and I just started working on a next-generation BitTorrent client that will make finding and getting torrents even better. He's a Computer Science PhD, so I'm lucky to be able to convince a guy like that to help the internet get more files and movies.

We'd love some ideas from you guys on what you would like to see improved...

Give me a ranking of what's most important to you:

1) Finding more peers for a given torrent, even if they're not on the same tracker as you

2) Getting people to reseed more easily

3) Automatic torrenting of large pictures and files linked on the internet

4) Creating scheduled torrent "channels" that people can subscribe to - so someone publishes a torrent "playlist" to cycle through every couple hours. People subscribe to this, so that everyone automatically gets every file in the playlist.

Give me a ranked list like: 4, 2, 3, 1

If you have any other big ideas, I'd love to hear them.
andrew_null is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-08-01, 22:55   Link #2
andrew_null

Help make BitTorrent better!

I just posted this in General Discussion, but figured it'd be more appropriate here...

--
I've been using BitTorrent for a couple months now, and I LOVE it. There's no better way to get full-motion movies than on forums like #Anime-Supreme...

A buddy and I just started working on a next-generation BitTorrent client that will make finding and getting torrents even better. He's a Computer Science PhD, so I'm lucky to be able to convince a guy like that to help the internet get more files and movies.

We'd love some ideas from you guys on what you would like to see improved...

Give me a ranking of what's most important to you:

1) Finding more peers for a given torrent, even if they're not on the same tracker as you

2) Getting people to reseed more easily

3) Automatic torrenting of large pictures and files linked on the internet

4) Creating scheduled torrent "channels" that people can subscribe to - so someone publishes a torrent "playlist" to cycle through every couple hours. People subscribe to this, so that everyone automatically gets every file in the playlist.

Give me a ranked list like: 4, 2, 3, 1

If you have any other big ideas, I'd love to hear them.
Old 2004-08-01, 23:10   Link #3
boneyjellyfish
Evangelist of the Kazoo

I'm going to vote for 2, 1, 4, 3.

Would it be possible to add some sort of chat room for seeders? By the way, you shouldn't crosspost! BAD ANDREW_NULL! BAD! No biscuit!
boneyjellyfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-08-02, 01:20   Link #4
NoSanninWa
Weapon of Mass Discussion
*Fansubber

1. It isn't really more appropriate here.

2. Never, ever, ever crosspost. It pisses off the moderators.

There's not that fine a line between willing suspension of disbelief and something just being stupid.
NoSanninWa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-08-02, 01:26   Link #5
Yamano667
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Yamano667
I do agree with him, but the most important thing is the faster download is the better ..even if we had few seeders because sometimes we have releases and so few seeders, and our releases dont get distributed

Quote:
Originally Posted by boneyjellyfish

Would it be possible to add some sort of chat room for seeders? By the way, you shouldn't crosspost! BAD ANDREW_NULL! BAD! No biscuit!
Yamano667 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-08-02, 02:11   Link #6
andrew_null

Quote:
Originally Posted by boneyjellyfish

My bad on the crossposting... that thread got closed already.

Thanks for the feedback... keep it coming! I want to make sure we're solving something important that will be helpful for everyone. So the more opinions, the better, even if it's "me too"
Old 2004-08-02, 02:20   Link #7
Lexander
www.thefestlanders.com

Free goatcheese with every download.

Now that's the BT of my future.
Lexander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-08-02, 02:29   Link #8
mantidor
the Iniquitous

Send a message via Yahoo to mantidor
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lexander
Free goatcheese with every download.

Now that's the BT of my future.
internet food, the ultimate future.

I like the chat idea, that would be nice indeed. as for the priorities, is certainly just speed, the faster the better. I agree with BoneyJellyFish on the order 2,1,4,3
mantidor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-08-02, 02:58   Link #9
Guts

Send a message via AIM to Guts Send a message via Yahoo to Guts
5) Flashy client. I want a b.t client that looks like 2 big bo..., bombs ?
Guts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-08-02, 03:07   Link #10
Mr_Paper
Hmm...

2, 1, 4, 3

Although I don't see the need for 3. Given the way BT works, even if large image files and such were torrented it wouldn't increase the download speed of them. 99.99999% of the time you'd be the only person downloading the files which wouldn't improve the overall download speed from the server or site.
Mr_Paper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-08-02, 03:19   Link #11
dreamless
/Ultimate Magic Attack!!!

I'll say 1 and just 1, since I think problem 2 is mostly already solved with some of the better current bt clients. 3 and 4 personally I don't see much need of them... but if you must count them in, then 1,2,4,3.

I think there are some bt clients with chat ability implemented, though currently they are quite under-used (I think BitComet and BitSpirit both have some chat feature...)
dreamless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-08-02, 06:26   Link #12
Alfzilla
Was Here

Send a message via AIM to Alfzilla
#2 seems like it should be the priority.
#3 doesn’t seem like it is needed at all for any reason.
And the other seem like they would be nice to have but aren’t necessary.
Alfzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-08-02, 12:43   Link #13
andrew_null

Great feedback everyone. Out of curiosity dreamless, what clients are you talking about with the reseeding? (problem 2) And how do they solve it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamless
I'll say 1 and just 1, since I think problem 2 is mostly already solved with some of the better current bt clients. 3 and 4 personally I don't see much need of them... but if you must count them in, then 1,2,4,3.

I think there are some bt clients with chat ability implemented, though currently they are quite under-used (I think BitComet and BitSpirit both have some chat feature...)
Old 2004-08-02, 14:05   Link #14
KeinikuSuki
鶏肉がとてもおいしい。

Send a message via ICQ to KeinikuSuki
Quote:
Originally Posted by andrew_null
Out of curiosity dreamless, what clients are you talking about with the reseeding?
Azureus has some automatic starting functions. The program periodically scrapes each tracker and records the number of peers and seeds currently in the swarm. Using this information, it will automatically start torrents up to a predefined number of active ones. Options include Peer:Seed ratio and Total Seed count. It's very customizable; however, it is completely dependent on the tracker's data and if the tracker is down or does not provide the information, this feature becomes useless. I'm sure other clients have similar features, but I have no experience with them. I suggest you check it out at the link above.
KeinikuSuki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-08-03, 19:30   Link #15
andrew_null

Final question... you guys have been great.

How important is SEARCH in all of this? Like if you had a central mechanism to find torrents, get instant stats, etc., how would that rank relative to the other features?
Old 2004-08-03, 23:31   Link #16
Shadowlord
~DESU

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrew_null
Final question... you guys have been great.

How important is SEARCH in all of this? Like if you had a central mechanism to find torrents, get instant stats, etc., how would that rank relative to the other features?

A good search should be top priority, along with more seeders, especially for the bigger files. I've used torrent search and bittorrent search, but it doesn't always find what im looking for.
Shadowlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-08-04, 05:00   Link #17
ZhanDVG
Hail to the Sky~

I think top priority should be making bittorrent not utter crap. I've had nothing but bad experiences with it. Like how it just arbitrarily decides on whether or not it wants to resume a 6.6 Gig torrent or start over from the beginning after it took a week and a half to get 25% of the way done. (though it _was_ a liscenced series, so I guess I can just chaulk it up to instant karma)

Other than the sucking part, I haven't had much any other problems. Never have had to worry about the amount of seeders or whatnot. Though I gotta say I really don't see any purpose with a seeder chatting feature. Maybe it's just me, but I don't care much about the person I'm downloading from/uploading to. Not enough to feel the need to strike up a conversation, at any rate.

Hmm, I guess making it easier to find torrents would be pretty important. I've wasted so much precious time searching for torrents I never even ended up finding.
ZhanDVG is offline   Reply With Quote