AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Reviews & Recommendations

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2008-07-02, 08:34   Link #21
Weister

If you liked Claymore try Mnemosyne it comes out every month and is about 45 min. long but i think you will like it. Also try Vampire Knight, try Code Geass R2, All the Gumdams (if you have time to watch like 50 episodes per season), All the full metal panic's, Nabari no Ou, and Ikki Tousen. That pretty much all the ones you will like.
Old 2008-07-02, 18:36   Link #22
9mmx19

I actually watched all the Mnemosyne eps that were out and I stopped. Partially cuz Im impatient but partially cuz the sex elements were excessive. I like hot chicks as much as the next guy but those scenes didnt really add anything to the story or characters, it seemed like they were put in just for the shock value. The action and immortality angle were interesting but the random sex ruined it.

I watched the first ep of Vampire Knight but why does everything have to happen at a high school? Thats one thing I hate about animes. Does it get better?

I liked the look and protagonist of Code Geass and the mech stuff was good but again, why was there that random high school storyline? You would think he would have bigger things to do than go to school. Also his power seemed a little lame. One time use? Weak. Some of the stuff was creative though like how he beat that other power user in the chapel or whatever it was. Overall seemed like they tried to cram anything and everything into the series.

Just watched the first Ikki Tousen. Fighting is good of course but WHY do all animes have something to do with a school? Seems like it might be okay I just hope it doesnt end up depending too much on the fan service.
EDIT: This one seems disappointing. Depends all on fanservice but is otherwise pretty shallow.
EDIT2: I dunno if theyre fan made or DVD extras or what but the little side clips are hilarious. Better than the show itself. "Short cropped blue hair, covered in bandages, always getting hurt... havent I seen this character before?"

Last edited by 9mmx19; 2008-07-04 at 20:44.
Old 2008-07-05, 20:49   Link #23
9mmx19

Just finished Desert Punk. Wasnt bad and liked the style but ending was lack luster. Are there any other good series with the military or post apocalyptic setting?
Old 2008-07-05, 21:41   Link #24
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

Ergo Proxy is a pretty decent "post-apocalyptic" show, while avoiding the apocalypse is a theme in Noein.

These themes have been the subject of a number of discussions in this forum. Try searching this forum for "apocalyptic," and you should turn up a number of choices.
Old 2008-07-05, 21:43   Link #25
King Lycan
User Title eaten by ravenous bunnies
*IT Support

Berserk Anime
Old 2008-07-05, 23:45   Link #26
9mmx19

Ergo Proxy started off interesting and looked really good but it got all crazy and I lost interest. Was Noein was the one with the parallel universes? That one was pretty interesting.
Old 2008-07-06, 08:47   Link #27
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

I agree with your assessment of Ergo Proxy; the gap between concept and execution was unfortunately rather large. The show does get better again in the final third, but I always see it as a show whose reach exceeded its grasp. That's the reason I called it "decent" as opposed to "good" or "excellent."

And, yes, Noein is the show about parallel universes. Going back over the whole thread I see you mentioned it before; sorry for the redundancy.

You might like RahXephon even if you didn't like Evangelion, to which it's often compared. There's less emphasis on psychology and somewhat more romance; the protagonist isn't as annoying as Shinji either.

Since I don't see Kure-nai on your list I'll recommend it here. Also a second for Junni Kokki though you need to be patient as it starts quite slowly.

One other more obscure show that I'll mention is Yomigaeru Sora - Rescue Wings, a slice-of-life show about a rescue helicopter squadron. Strong adult characters and interesting stories. You might also take a look at Planetes, a slice-of-life show about space trash collectors.
Old 2008-07-06, 19:19   Link #28
9mmx19

Thx for the suggestions Seiji, watched the first Planetes and RahXephon. Planetes seems good, just not that exciting. Rah seems a little weird which is okay, I just hope it doesnt get TOO weird.

EDIT: Oh no RahXephon is taking a turn for the crazy... Im worried.

EDIT2: Damn you for the suggestion Seiji RahXephon went all crazy on me too. Dammit. Couldnt keep watching towards the end. Why do so many series have to go all psycho? Its certainly similar to Eva in that regard. Everyones a clone, everyones all mystical... /sigh

Last edited by 9mmx19; 2008-07-08 at 18:59.
Old 2008-07-12, 21:39   Link #29
9mmx19

Planetes was a nice wholesome series.
Spoiler for Some of the stuff:
was a bit out of place but overall really well done. Got a little more interesting with the SDF story later on.

Last edited by 9mmx19; 2008-07-13 at 01:15.
Old 2008-07-13, 04:54   Link #30
Reckoner
Bittersweet Distractor

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeijiSensei View Post
I agree with your assessment of Ergo Proxy; the gap between concept and execution was unfortunately rather large. The show does get better again in the final third, but I always see it as a show whose reach exceeded its grasp. That's the reason I called it "decent" as opposed to "good" or "excellent."
I thought the show was excellent and I wholeheartedly disagree. All I can tell 9mmx19 is to stay away from Texhnolyze if he didn't like Ergo Proxy, which can be even more confusing at certain times.
Old 2008-07-13, 05:55   Link #31
oompa loompa

give NHK ni Yōkoso! a try. a simple story, with realistic characters, and great execution. Im not sure about how many people will agree with me on this, but I found this show quite different. a little bit more realistic, and i appreciated the ' real life happy end' as opposed to a 'fairy tale happy end'. Oh, and the main character doesnt go to school lol
Old 2008-07-13, 09:15   Link #32
Hayaku
Ecchi go Boom 0(^.^)0

Code Geass!!! and I also seccond "Welcome to the NHK"
It is just great ^.^

Anime-Planet.com - anime | manga | reviews
Old 2008-07-13, 13:31   Link #33
Yukinakamura

Code Geass and Gundam (Gundam seed, Gundam Seed destiny, Gundam 00 and more)
Old 2008-07-14, 22:32   Link #34
9mmx19

Wow Welcome to the NHK sounded kinda lame when I read it but there are some harsh truths in it. Really a good anime for ppl who watch too many animes haha
Old 2008-07-14, 23:45   Link #35
oompa loompa

Quote:
Originally Posted by 9mmx19 View Post
Wow Welcome to the NHK sounded kinda lame when I read it but there are some harsh truths in it. Really a good anime for ppl who watch too many animes haha
my sentiments exactly when i first picked it up
Old 2008-07-15, 14:33   Link #36
9mmx19

Well NHK was pretty good. It was kind of a realistic (relative to most animes) show/soap opera that just happened to be animated.
Old 2008-08-15, 04:30   Link #37
9mmx19

So Hunter X Hunter seems pretty highly recommended. Is there an order I watch the OVA and series? Thx.
Old 2008-08-15, 12:05   Link #38
Autumn Demon
~

Quote:
Originally Posted by 9mmx19 View Post
So Hunter X Hunter seems pretty highly recommended. Is there an order I watch the OVA and series? Thx.
TV series (62 eps), OVA1 (8 eps), Greed Island OVA (8 eps), Greed Island Final OVA (14 eps).
Old 2008-08-15, 12:52   Link #39
Miu Miu

seen samurai champloo?
Old 2008-08-15, 15:25   Link #40
khryoleoz
Power of 9 SoShi-ist

Expand your horizons a bit. You may find something of value on which you might otherwise miss out.

Try Moetan! It's the best series evah. Having watched FMP, then move on to Fumoffu, which is the second best series evah!
Closed Thread