AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat

Notices

Old 2011-02-20, 23:35   Link #21
Asuras
Dictadere~!

Online friends are great. Respond whenever, and talk about whatever without needing to adhere to social manners that your real environment constrains upon you.

Foul language. Instant internet access for funny shit. Plus, you can edit your response if you see something wrong. In real life, once you say it, it's said.
Old 2011-02-20, 23:40   Link #22
SJCrew
Anachro-Romeo

I have plenty of internet friends. It's really easy to find someone with a little common ground just to shoot the breeze when you're involved in multiple online communities. I'm probably always going to have an online friend or two to talk to down the line, I think.

Friends IRL are less gracious because that's when presence and appearance are taken into account, both consciously and subconsciously. I wouldn't chat it up with anyone who seems like they have low self esteem, or an aura of arrogance about them. Even if good friends IRL are sparse, relationships with them are far more meaningful. Even if you're like, best buds with this one dude over in Oklahoma, you can never invite him and the rest of the guys over to kick it like you could if you knew them in person. It sucks knowing it's always down to the keyboard and the screen sometimes, but it's okay as long as you keep a healthy balance with non-online affairs.

This is a good topic I've haven't seen discussed before, and I'm glad it's out in the open.
SJCrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-02-21, 10:34   Link #23
Rag

I have some online friends too at some MMORPGs, but it gets awkward to talk to them when they log in suddenly after a long time or vice-versa.
Rag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-02-21, 22:59   Link #24
defrule

One person I met through an mmo and went out and had a few drinks with him once. He and I are both chinese so we got along.

Another woman, I met in an mmo too around 3-4 years ago. Still go on vent to banter and stuff.
defrule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-02-22, 09:08   Link #25
Olivia_688

i actually ended up dating an online friend for 1 year and became real life lovers
Old 2011-02-22, 12:14   Link #26
Gamer_2k4
Anime Cynic

Nothing against you guys, but I will always hold online friends in much lower regard than real friends. I'm well aware that simply being online doesn't stop someone from being a good person or a potential good friend, but I just can't make real connections with people I've never seen. Heck, I even met someone in an IRC channel who, after a couple of months of talking, decided that I was her online boyfriend. Needless to say, it didn't go anywhere.

There's nothing wrong with online friends; there are plenty of people I know from forums, online games, etc. that I still talk with from time to time. However, they really don't compare to people who you can actually hang out with and do stuff with. For example, none of you guys can go sledding with me in the new snow from last night. Interacting with you requires me to be at a computer, which severely limits the things we can do, which severely limits friendships, IMO.
Old 2011-02-22, 12:27   Link #27
synaesthetic
blinded by blood
*Author

Send a message via AIM to synaesthetic
Assuming you never actually meet.

However, a number of good friends that I have, I met through various Internet-related activities... message boards, gaming, etc. And I actually know them now.

For me, if I run into someone online, that's just the start of the friendship. It's not a real friendship until I meet the person.

Because, as you say, you can't really go out and have a few beers with a computer screen, right?
Old 2011-02-22, 13:35   Link #28
SaintessHeart
NYAAAAHAAANNNNN~

Quote:
Originally Posted by synaesthetic View Post
Assuming you never actually meet.

However, a number of good friends that I have, I met through various Internet-related activities... message boards, gaming, etc. And I actually know them now.

For me, if I run into someone online, that's just the start of the friendship. It's not a real friendship until I meet the person.

Because, as you say, you can't really go out and have a few beers with a computer screen, right?
*tosses Syn a bottle of Stella Artois*

Cheers!

When three puppygirls named after pastries are on top of each other, it is called Eclair a'la menthe et Biscotti aux fraises avec beaucoup de Ricotta sur le dessus.
Most of all, you have to be disciplined and you have to save, even if you hate our current financial system. Because if you don't save, then you're guaranteed to end up with nothing.
SaintessHeart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-02-22, 13:47   Link #29
Gamer_2k4
Anime Cynic

Quote:
Not without looking REALLY sad, anyway.
Old 2011-02-22, 13:48   Link #30
Nogitsune
Shameless Fangirl

Yay for online friends!
There are a few people I just need to write with to feel close to, though I'll admit they are the exception (but awesome exceptions, oh yes). Other than that, the friendship kind of tends to move from the net to the phone eventually. I don't need to meet people to consider them friends, but I do need to talk to them a lot and think that they are awesome.

Talking for hours and watching movies together over the phone can be incredibly fun.
Old 2011-02-22, 14:56   Link #31
Neat Hedgehog
Hack of all trades

I'm amazed so many people actually meet people in real life after meeting them online. I would be way too paranoid for that. I mean, I'm paranoid enough about meeting people normally, and I know all the ways you can fake stuff online (even "live" video chat is easy to fake).

I actually used to talk to a lot of people online up through the age of thirteen, and then my interest in it just died. I don't know why, but I just can't get interested in idle chattering anymore, and I see conversation more as a utility than a recreational activity. I mean, why do you want to start talking to someone randomly, when you have no idea if they know anything about anything you'd want to talk about? The way I usually think of it is like "first prove to me that you have thoughts that are worth my time (which isn't really that hard), and then try talking to me."
Neat Hedgehog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-02-22, 16:29   Link #32
Gamer_2k4
Anime Cynic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neat Hedgehog View Post
I'm amazed so many people actually meet people in real life after meeting them online. I would be way too paranoid for that. I mean, I'm paranoid enough about meeting people normally, and I know all the ways you can fake stuff online (even "live" video chat is easy to fake).
Whenever that thought occurs to me, the next one is immediately, "Why?" Why would someone fake an identity and then try to meet me? As soon as I see them, it would be abundantly clear whether or not they're who they say they are. And if they had...less than noble intentions, why travel all the way over to where I live, or why have me come there? If you're going to rob or rape or kill (or whatever) someone, why not do it locally? Why spend months talking to them on the internet if that's all you're going to do at the end?
Old 2011-02-22, 16:56   Link #33
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

Quote:
Why not? Japanese guys don't seem to have a problem sharing vacations, dinners, etc., with their Love Plus girlfriends. Hell, if things work out you can marry her!

Looks like Japanese girls are fed up waiting for real-life guys to put down their DS's, too.
SeijiSensei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-02-22, 18:56   Link #34
Dr. Casey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neat Hedgehog View Post
Yeah... I'll be glad when this line of thinking finally starts to die away. Unless I'm mistaken and everyone that posts online is secretly a serial killer rapist, I think there's way too many people that have this kind of paranoia.

Online friends are nice, never thought of them as being any different from the alternative.
Dr. Casey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-02-23, 00:05   Link #35
tehmuffinmon
Seleção

I have a number of online friends, but few that I've made a true connection with. Sure, I can come online and talk about things that are what I consider very personal with a group of strangers, but there's definitely a difference in intimacy with IRL friends and intimacy on a forum where people don't have a true personal connection, imo.
tehmuffinmon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-02-23, 05:11   Link #36
synaesthetic
blinded by blood
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeijiSensei View Post
Why not? Japanese guys don't seem to have a problem sharing vacations, dinners, etc., with their Love Plus girlfriends. Hell, if things work out you can marry her!

Looks like Japanese girls are fed up waiting for real-life guys to put down their DS's, too.
Yeah that's totally not creepy. Right.

*facepalm*
Old 2011-02-23, 05:19   Link #37
SaintessHeart
NYAAAAHAAANNNNN~

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeijiSensei View Post
I see a possible scenario where there will be an option available for the girl to ask the guy to date another guy just for her to watch. After all, look at the drawings : they are all bishies.

When three puppygirls named after pastries are on top of each other, it is called Eclair a'la menthe et Biscotti aux fraises avec beaucoup de Ricotta sur le dessus.
Most of all, you have to be disciplined and you have to save, even if you hate our current financial system. Because if you don't save, then you're guaranteed to end up with nothing.
SaintessHeart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-02-23, 05:32   Link #38
synaesthetic
blinded by blood
*Author

Wow, is this problem really that bad in Japan?
Old 2011-02-23, 05:43   Link #39
Crimrui
Hollow

Send a message via Yahoo to Crimrui
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knightrunner View Post
I would love to have some of you guys as neighborhood friends rather than the people that live near me now. We can be one big happy family
Damn man, thats deep, and I have to agree. I think I would trust more to some of you guys here then my RL pals.

The people that I chat with online are from different countries so I love to discuss about different customs with them. Most of my current friends aren't really into anime or gaming so I find a satisfaction of good discussion online as well. When in need of some advice or information online pals tend to help out too. Of course it all depends in who you talk to.
Old 2011-02-23, 08:10   Link #40
Liddo-kun
is this so?

Personally, it's been a fun experience. Have 3 online friends whom I have been together with in another anime forum for almost 4 years now. And we're active up to this day. Having similar interests in anime is probably one reason we've stayed together for so long.

Though it's unfortunate, they're all far away, I'm asian and my friends are from Germany, Thailand, and Canada. Can't go to an anime convention together..
Liddo-kun is offline   Reply With Quote