AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Manga

Notices

Old 2012-12-06, 18:32   Link #441
FredFriendly
Beyond the Fringe

Quote:
Originally Posted by NightbatŪ View Post
I gotta say, every chapter is at the least entertaining, but overall I can best put my thoughts into imagery:

Now, I like the series, but chapter 72 may as well have been chapter 10
and sometimes I think they already did 3 schoolyears

I mean, whatever happened after chapter 20 in their relationship progressing?
Nothing. Nada. Zip. Kaputnik.

On a separate note, I am quite surprised to see an image of God from Monty Python and the Holy Grail in this thread!
FredFriendly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-12-06, 18:40   Link #442
MAX_COLA_POWER!

If I may add another quote from Monty Python to represent what some people considering of quitting the series are thinking: THIS SERIES IS NO MORE! IT HAS CEASED TO BE!
Old 2012-12-06, 18:51   Link #443
Flower
Blooming on the mountain

Location: Deep in their roots, all flowers keep the light....
You know though ... for those of you who are reading the manga and have seen the anime adaptation as well - the OVA that was released after the season was over contained material that reminded me very strongly of the author's other work Discommunication Seireihen.

So I think there is still quite a bit more to come, but aside from that - yes. I feel the pace is going too slowly....
Old 2012-12-07, 00:28   Link #444
Pacify

At this point, I think it doesn't pay off to follow this one actively any more. I still hope that it will pick up, but until it does, I'm keeping it on my on hold list.
Pacify is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-12-07, 01:03   Link #445
MAX_COLA_POWER!

You'd think an author would eventually run out of insecurities to give a young boy and just reveal the relationship to everybody to end all the suffering. Hell, they don't even have to show the end result of the coupling, just let them live happily without worrying about what others think.
Old 2012-12-07, 18:46   Link #446
NightbatŪ
Deadpan Snarker

Good to know I'm not the only one thinking it went to a crawl
anyone familiar with Japanese yearly agenda/periods can give a guesstimate of how long their relationship may be running now?

I mean, in chapter 1 it was already 1 month

Quote:
Originally Posted by FredFriendly View Post
On a separate note, I am quite surprised to see an image of God from Monty Python and the Holy Grail in this thread!
Oh if it was anything awesome it may recieve a Nigel Tufnel '11' Pic

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAX_COLA_POWER! View Post
You'd think an author would eventually run out of insecurities to give a young boy and just reveal the relationship to everybody to end all the suffering. Hell, they don't even have to show the end result of the coupling, just let them live happily without worrying about what others think.
What's worse, you WOULD think that by now they're starting to warm up to eachother
(Writing material enough there)
Special bond be damned, even Urabe noticed she has certain urges/desires/emotions
unfulfilled by their drool-sharing (though that must be 30 chapters back by now)
The writer can throw in a 100 hurdles and gaps to cross through secondary characters to create a story, but how about closing some gaps between the 2 main characters

it doesn't have to be a second 'Tonari no Kashiwagi-san', but please,
at least some form of connection between the two that is not shown in the speechbubbles?
somethings like what Urabe shown when she accidently cut Tsubaki or made him fall in the frozen pond)
Or Tsubaki showing at least a little more spine, jeez, you would like to think they're not actually strangers to eachother

It's bad when the Secondary characters Oka and Ueno actually appear to have a more interesting relationship
Old 2012-12-07, 19:05   Link #447
MAX_COLA_POWER!

Oka seems to be more interested in learning how to scissor, in more ways than one, with Urabe than being with Ueno at all.
Old 2012-12-07, 20:50   Link #448
FredFriendly
Beyond the Fringe

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAX_COLA_POWER! View Post
Like many of the answerless puzzles presented to us by the mangaka, this is the most puzzling of them all. Why keep it a secret? As far as I can remember, Urabe never indicated that she wanted to keep it a secret from anyone. It all seems to have been a presumption on Tsubaki's part, influenced by Ueno.

Quote:
anyone familiar with Japanese yearly agenda/periods can give a guesstimate of how long their relationship may be running now?

I mean, in chapter 1 it was already 1 month
Well, let's see:

Chapter 6 Mysterious Summer Vacation

Chapter 27 Mysterious Summer Greetings

Chapter 57 : Mysterious Summer Uniform

so, if the chapters were chronological, they've been 1st years for three years already.

The "Mysterious Movie" arcs took eleven months of my soul away from me.

Like I said before:

Quote:
Maybe the mangaka wants Mysterious Girlfriend X to be the 21st centuries' Archie Comics (Archie's been around for over 60 years, yet he, and the rest of the crew, haven't aged a day).
Old 2012-12-07, 21:35   Link #449
ellifeedn
Thinker

Are you sure it isn't: chapter 6 (first year summer), chapter 27 (second year summer), chapter 57 (third year summer)?
ellifeedn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-12-08, 07:08   Link #450
FredFriendly
Beyond the Fringe

Quote:
Originally Posted by ellifeedn View Post
Are you sure it isn't: chapter 6 (first year summer), chapter 27 (second year summer), chapter 57 (third year summer)?
With this manga, you can never be sure of anything.

Actually, I stand corrected. They appear to be habitually second years starting right from the very beginning of chapter 0.

However, even during that fiasco, The Mysterious Movie, which takes place after the third summer vacation, their homeroom was still 2-A.

So, in the 8 years since the original one-shot (6 since the beginning of the manga), neither have our favorite couple progressed to the rudimentary level of a normal couple, such as holding hands while walking home, nor have they aged, like the rest of us.

Last edited by FredFriendly; 2012-12-08 at 07:17. Reason: wasn't finished
Old 2012-12-08, 09:31   Link #451
NightbatŪ
Deadpan Snarker

Quote:
Like many of the answerless puzzles presented to us by the mangaka, this is the most puzzling of them all. Why keep it a secret? As far as I can remember, Urabe never indicated that she wanted to keep it a secret from anyone. It all seems to have been a presumption on Tsubaki's part, influenced by Ueno.
Unfamiliar with Japanese society, from my PoV this looks like something
10 year olds do

Quote:
Well, let's see:

Chapter 6 Mysterious Summer Vacation

Chapter 27 Mysterious Summer Greetings

Chapter 57 : Mysterious Summer Uniform

so, if the chapters were chronological, they've been 2nd years for three years already.

Quote:
The "Mysterious Movie" arcs took eleven months of my soul away from me.
It did indeed, do nothing for the story
But let's face it, apart from Oka/Ueno relationship's influence, what did?

It's Azumanga Daioh with a touch of romance as it is now
Old 2012-12-08, 09:38   Link #452
FredFriendly
Beyond the Fringe

Quote:
Unfamiliar with Japanese society, from my PoV this looks like something 10 year olds do...
10 year-olds would probably also be more likely to share their drool.

Quote:
It's Azumanga Daioh with a touch of romance as it is now
Huh? Unlike what this manga has become, Azumanga Daioh was actually funny. It's been a long time (over a year) since I outright laughed at anything the mangaka has dished out to us.
Old 2012-12-09, 08:04   Link #453
NightbatŪ
Deadpan Snarker

Quote:
Huh? Unlike what this manga has become, Azumanga Daioh was actually funny. It's been a long time (over a year) since I outright laughed at anything the mangaka has dished out to us.

I meant it in the sense of it being more "daily/Slice of - Life" in buildup
A lot of AD chapters also don't follow any real chronological order (or at least, you can shuffle a lot of them around, like MGX)
Old 2013-01-16, 16:11   Link #454
NightbatŪ
Deadpan Snarker

Well, current chapter isn't that bad

Spoiler:
Old 2013-01-16, 17:52   Link #455
FredFriendly
Beyond the Fringe

Mysterious Girlfriend X 73: The Mysterious Christmas

Quote:
Well, current chapter isn't that bad
Well, I gotta admit, you're right. I was pleasantly surprised that we didn't get a third dose of a monthly fetish. I had been reluctant to read the new chapter after the last two (who am I kidding, the last twelve), but chapter 73 was mildly entertaining, and nothing happened that was terribly annoying. There were even a couple of pluses: seeing Big Sis again, which is always a treat, seeing Urabe in a Santa suit, which was a special treat, and, was that dad? It's been so long I don't remember if we've even ever seen him before.

Quote:
Spoiler:
Tsubaki is an idiot, after all.
Old 2013-01-19, 12:02   Link #456
NightbatŪ
Deadpan Snarker

Well, from the general reactions concerning this new chapter, I'm afraid we're the only ones still following this manga
Quite understandable, and I guess it's gonna take some hard work from the author to get some energy back into it

(Edit, now I think about it, it's somewhat as with that old intermittent x-mas tree )
Old 2013-02-04, 22:51   Link #457
Starshipw
Free Opinions Available

Pink snakes and panty scissors. What a dangerous combination.
Starshipw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-02-05, 16:51   Link #458
NightbatŪ
Deadpan Snarker

Quote:
"Will the theme of stripes continue?

Who knows..."
The better answer would be "Who cares?!?"

I'm not asking for pink striped panties and snakes, or even pink snakes getting into striped panties (though that would be a huge leap forward between Urabe and Tsubaki)

but here we have another "Go directly to chapter 2. Do not pass Go. Do not collect $200." chapter

Dunno where Urabe partied during new year, but her drool is starting to make Tsubaki trip and hallucinate instead of just giving a funny feeling
Old 2013-02-05, 18:17   Link #459
Waven
Itadaki-nyaaa !!

She's wearing striped panties now - that's the usual amount of development this series has to offer
Waven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-03-09, 07:48   Link #460
NightbatŪ
Deadpan Snarker

New Chapter!!

'...'

*Snore*

Tags
romance, seinen