AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Another

Notices

Old 2012-01-31, 08:55   Link #921
warita
Dai-Youkai

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaos2Frozen View Post
It's more like she hates how it seems as if the bird is questioning her.

"Why? Rei-chan? Why?"

Which indicates something she did or said that she regretted in the past. You know, like it's her conscience tormenting her.

I thought so too. The bird is creepy and he keeps repeating the damn sentence all the time. Yes, like a conscience.

But what i dont get is, that if his aunt wants a break from the bird, she could either leave the house or throw a blanket over the cage, then the bird would sleep.
warita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-31, 08:58   Link #922
Chaos2Frozen
We're Back

Quote:
Originally Posted by warita View Post
I thought so too. The bird is creepy and he keeps repeating the damn sentence all the time. Yes, like a conscience.

But what i dont get is, that if his aunt wants a break from the bird, she could either leave the house or throw a blanket over the cage, then the bird would sleep.
Leaving the house is only temporary, she still has to take carry of Kouichi.

Throw a blanket over the cage... What if the bird sleep talks... ()

Nah, I don't think she knows that, I didn't even know that until you said it.
Chaos2Frozen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-31, 09:03   Link #923
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

So many interesting posts since my last visit... thankfully, there were no walls of text.

Quote:
Originally Posted by totoum View Post
They also did put an exam form on her desk,this intrigues me in both cases.
If she's alive why suddenly aknowledge her?
If she's dead why put something on the desk?
That's a good point. That does seem like an inconstancy given their refusal to acknowledge her existence. As Tinyredleaf suggested, that teacher could have been new, but that would be a weak explanation, especially since they've already used it with the Principal.

Maybe they're doing this so they don't get any heat from Misaki's parents (assuming they're still alive... which I somehow doubt). If their daughter never brought back any tests home, they'd quickly realize something odd is going on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurkeyPotPie View Post
So the nurse is gone, poor Sakakibara missed his chance. I thought she was going to jump his bones any second.
Same here. While watching this episode, I kept thinking: if that nurse manages to survive for about 3 or so more episodes, you are SO going to get laid, Sa-ka-ki-ba-ra-kun.

Then of course she died. Damn.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PzIVf3 View Post
Spoiler for Dont look people. It might depress:
Spoiler:

As for the discussions about Auntie Reiko: it's clear to me that she's traumatized by what happened to her sister and probably blames herself for it. Perhaps she broke one of the rules believing the curse to be non-sense... and then her sister died. Hard to get over the guilt if this is what happened.
Old 2012-01-31, 09:04   Link #924
totoum
Me at work

Send a message via MSN to totoum
I guess the "why Rei why?" is just there to show that she does feel guilty about something.
I mean sure that bird repeating the same thing can get irritating but there she was traumatised.
Old 2012-01-31, 09:11   Link #925
boomerangnizorro

Quote:
I guess the "why Rei why?" is just there to show that she does feel guilty about something.
I mean sure that bird repeating the same thing can get irritating but there she was traumatised.
Yep, in the end it leads to the same thing. Reiko did something. Something bad.

Oh by the way, correct me if I'm wrong but a bird like that learns speech by mimicry, right? So it means that someone repeatedly said those words before.
Old 2012-01-31, 09:35   Link #926
miketyson

I want to like this show more than I'm actually liking it. The first episode left a bad impression with all the spooky doll inserts, and it's gotten better since then, but it's just a bit off.

I think it's that so much seems like it's done in the wrong order: episode 4 would've been a lot spookier, imho, if the explanation of the curse had come *after* the glass plate incident. Explaining the curse upfront means that when the glass plate falls there's no *mystery* -- you immediately know "hey, that's that curse!" -- whereas if the explanation had come just a bit later there woudl've been other possible explanations (is the class/town/etc. out to get Sakakibara for not following the rules?).

Likewise the nurse's call about Misaki not existing would've worked much better if she called when Sakakibara was @ the doll shop and Misaki was right in front of him).

Any one of these sorts of things wouldn't be a big deal, but it's consistently sequencing the plot events in a way that undercuts a lot of the potential mystery and spookiness. This is a pity, b/c it still seems like there's something interesting going on here.

PS: I'm waiting for the "shocking disclosure" that the clerk @ the doll shop is just a remote-control doll, built so that the real owner doesn't have to come downstairs to greet visitors.
miketyson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-31, 09:41   Link #927
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

Quote:
Originally Posted by miketyson View Post
I think it's that so much seems like it's done in the wrong order: episode 4 would've been a lot spookier, imho, if the explanation of the curse had come *after* the glass plate incident. Explaining the curse upfront means that when the glass plate falls there's no *mystery* -- you immediately know "hey, that's that curse!" -- whereas if the explanation had come just a bit later there woudl've been other possible explanations (is the class/town/etc. out to get Sakakibara for not following the rules?).
Unless people in this show have ESP or can blow REALLY hard, there are no other explanations. The glass was clearly knocked off by a gust of wind.
Old 2012-01-31, 09:51   Link #928
EroKing

Japanese wind - Good when blowing under dem high-school girls skirts, other times bad.
Old 2012-01-31, 09:53   Link #929
Miraluka
Banned

Now lets look at the class seats:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PzIVf3 View Post
Spoiler for Dont look people. It might depress:
Quite sad indeed, mmm... the girl in the center has a "I'm proud of myself" aura . Hopes Kouichi hits on her soon before she gets -shot-.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pellissier View Post
On the contrary she's fascinated by Mei, perhaps making the curse worse (hence why two people died in ep.3, Yukari and her mother, instead of one).
She? I'm confused .

Quote:
Originally Posted by serenade_beta View Post
And if it wasn't Higurashi enough, next we have Ooishi-san coming?![/SPOILER]
All is better with Ooishis.
Miraluka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-31, 09:54   Link #930
White Manju Bun
Anxious bookseller
*Author

Quote:

"Why? Rei-chan? Why?"

Which indicates something she did or said that she regretted in the past. You know, like it's her conscience tormenting her.
I figured the bird had a reason for saying that. Assuming since it imitates what it hears, someone (maybe Kouichi's mother) kept saying it to Rei.

Old woman in the doll shop still creeps me out.

Once again last 30 secs of the epi were awesome. Now Kouichi's connected to two deaths.

Quote:
Originally Posted by miketyson
I think that was used as a set up possibly to make the audience think she was next and keeping with what the students said earlier about how once a month someone in the class dies or a family member dies.
- 11th Doctor.

Sig by TheEroKing
White Manju Bun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-31, 09:56   Link #931
totoum
Me at work

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanon View Post
Unless people in this show have ESP or can blow REALLY hard, there are no other explanations. The glass was clearly knocked off by a gust of wind.
And really,knowing that there's definatly a curse doesn't resolve any kind of mystery,we still have no real idea of what's going on.

Quote:
Likewise the nurse's call about Misaki not existing would've worked much better if she called when Sakakibara was @ the doll shop and Misaki was right in front of him).
His classmates just heard him shout that Misaki Mei exists,I find the consequence of that much more interesting than if the conversation had happened at the dollhouse.

Quote:
figured the bird had a reason for saying that. Assuming since it imitates what it hears, someone (maybe Kouichi's mother) kept saying it to Rei.
That's why asked if this kind of bird could live 15 years,that would have to be his minimum age for that theory to work.
Old 2012-01-31, 10:00   Link #932
Scarletknive
Meister

Lesson 2: Do not ride on any elevators that looks old enough to become your lift of hell.(The machine holding the elevator does seem too old fashioned for me). Lucky Singapore lifts are not like that. (As Singaporeans are too "kiasi" for it)

Wait, since the nurse die, wouldn't her little brother be dead sooner or later?

i have a nightmare of this too. The lift suddenly drop so fast till it hits the ground hard. By then, I woke up, never want to sleep again for that day.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flo View Post
Oh no! Not the 'Cherry Pie to the Face' routine!

THIS AIN'T NO LAUGHING MATTER...(Though if you put the cake there instead of a pie. THE CAKE IS A LIE!)
Scarletknive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-31, 10:05   Link #933
Kakkou
Tch.

(Insert joke about elevators going to their final destinations here)
On that note, seeing the elevator crash like that made me jump a little, since I occasionally have paranoid thoughts about elevators crashing while I'm in them.

Seems we have a changing OP here. Class Pres' shot got replaced by that guy who gave a nasty look to Kouichi in ep3 and had more screentime this week. Wonder who will get the privilege of taking the nurse's place next week? Her brother? I guess they might pull a Shiki where background characters get some limelight before it gets abruptly ended.
Kakkou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-31, 10:20   Link #934
novalysis

Quote:

"Why? Rei-chan? Why?"

Doesn't Why? XX? Why? usually fits in more with grieving over a death or something? Or perhaps Rei is responsible for the death of someone in the family.....

Unless......

But yes, that bird's got to be one of the most annoying I've ever heard.
novalysis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-31, 10:30   Link #935
LKK

Quote:
That's why asked if this kind of bird could live 15 years,that would have to be his minimum age for that theory to work.
A quick Google check on myna bird life span reveals that the average life span of a captive bird is 12 to 25 years with proper care. So yeah, the myna could have belonged to Kouichi's mother. In fact, didn't they say that she was its original owner in episode 1??

Quote:
Originally Posted by novalysis View Post
Doesn't Why? XX? Why? usually fits in more with grieving over a death or something? Or perhaps Rei is responsible for the death of someone in the family.....
Good point. Perhaps the bird learned the phrase from the grieving father (i.e. Kouchi's grandfather). I can easily picture him repeatedly talking to the bird asking "Why, Rei-chan, why?" referring to his daughter's death.

Just as a reminder, Rei is the bird's name. At the moment, that's all we know for sure about the name "Rei".

Avatar: Hazuki of Natsuyuki Rendezvous / Signature: flowers from Natsuyuki Rendezvous

Last edited by LKK; 2012-01-31 at 10:35. Reason: added second comment
LKK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-31, 10:36   Link #936
miketyson

See, my first thought with the glass scene was that it had to be a trap: the girl is being unexpectedly friendly and flirty with Sakakibara, despite how cold and distant the entire class has been to him lately...maybe countermeasures-chan is finally deploying her countermeasures?

Except that's almost certainly not true, b/c we already know about the curse and how it works, so it's either the curse or just a scary coincidence.

tl;dr: telling about the curse then showing accidents leaves less room for speculation, and thus mystery.
miketyson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-31, 10:42   Link #937
White Manju Bun
Anxious bookseller
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarletknive View Post

Wait, since the nurse die, wouldn't her little brother be dead sooner or later?
I don't think her brother has to die to keep with the "curse". I think it was explained that either someone in Class 3 dies or a family member dies. But as Yukari showed it can be both.
- 11th Doctor.

Sig by TheEroKing
White Manju Bun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-31, 11:07   Link #938
totoum
Me at work

Quote:
Originally Posted by LKK View Post
A quick Google check on myna bird life span reveals that the average life span of a captive bird is 12 to 25 years with proper care. So yeah, the myna could have belonged to Kouichi's mother. In fact, didn't they say that she was its original owner in episode 1??
Thanks for the google search,I've gone through the first 3 episodes,can't find any info on when the bird got to the house.Maybe someone else has had more luck than me?
Old 2012-01-31, 11:16   Link #939
TinyRedLeaf
Moving in circles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilfriback View Post
Nice. Now we have a convenient way of keeping track of the dead. (If this becomes even more like Final Destination, the seating arrangement may turn out significant...) And, boy, it must suck to be the boy and girl sitting right next to that one desk in the corner.

Quote:
I think the elevator idea would have been nice, if they did it diffently. The problem with the falling elevator is, that there are safety breaks, that work flawlesly and need no maintainance as somebody here in the forum suggested.
Let's put it this way: I didn't know about such "safety brakes" until people here started talking about them. It's a common fear, an urban myth... and it shows that the author doesn't have a background in lift engineering.

Quote:
Also, when Kouichi stood next to the Misaki doll.... I was thinking that if I were him, I would look at the dolls eye, that is covered by her hair. This could be interesting..... but the real Misaki interrupted Kouichi before anything could happen.
To be sure, I loved the way those scenes were framed and filmed. It's never entirely clear, because of the choice of camera angles, where Misaki was in relation to the doll. The first time Sakakibara found the doll, the camera was focused on it when Misaki suddenly started talking. From the audience's point of view, it was as though the doll was talking. In the second instance, we're again taken by uneasy surprise, as Misaki stepped out from behind the coffin. We can't actually see where she was hiding, though, and given the angle, it almost seemed as though she walked out from the coffin.

The intention is clear: We are meant to feel as though Misaki is the living incarnation of the doll, and that Sakakibara is seeing an illusion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanon View Post
Unless people in this show have ESP or can blow REALLY hard, there are no other explanations.
My sixth sense is telling me that a new sub-forum will soon appear...

As for Misaki's choice of swimwear, to be honest, I find her more moe in the screencap that Lost My Music is using as a signature.
TinyRedLeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-31, 11:31   Link #940
Utsuro no Hako

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilfriback View Post
Shouldn't Misaki be in the back right corner?
Utsuro no Hako is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
horror, seinen