AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2014-04-14, 02:08   Link #61
AleX_MytH

Quote:
Just watched the first episode. Pretty disappointing. The MC is boring and uninteresting, and the other characters are pretty much irrelevant. Ah, and the girl who is lusting after the MC is annoying as fuck.

I might give it one more episode but I doubt I'll keep watching. It's just not worth it.
Eh? I thought the series didn't start yet. Preair?
AleX_MytH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-04-14, 05:33   Link #62
Lenneth4

Send a message via MSN to Lenneth4
lmao , pre-air or he saw the RAW version
Lenneth4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-04-14, 07:42   Link #63
romcom89

Preair on niconico, yes.
romcom89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-04-14, 08:14   Link #64
Tiberium Wolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Utsuro no Hako View Post
It doesn't premiere for another week.
Oh... I thought it did at 7th of april.
Old 2014-04-14, 08:32   Link #65
AleX_MytH

Looks like people in Japan didn't like the first ep that much. 1 is the highest mark, 5 is the lowest.

Screens from the preair can be found here:
http://nikonikoranking.blog.fc2.com/...ntry-9762.html
Old 2014-04-14, 14:12   Link #66
Lenneth4

Send a message via MSN to Lenneth4
Where to find ratings like that for other anime please ?
Lenneth4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-04-14, 14:46   Link #67
AleX_MytH

Lenneth4, http://nikonikoranking.blog.fc2.com/
It's in Japanese, but you can figure out how to use it easily.
Old 2014-04-14, 14:53   Link #68
Utsuro no Hako

Quote:
Originally Posted by AleX_MytH View Post
Looks like people in Japan didn't like the first ep that much. 1 is the highest mark, 5 is the lowest.

2/3 of people voted it a 1 or 2, and only about 10% a 4 or 5. That sounds pretty good to me.
Utsuro no Hako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-04-14, 18:51   Link #69
Kazu-kun

Either way, in my opinion it was pretty damn boring. The plot might get interesting at some point but the characters suck.
Old 2014-04-19, 02:58   Link #70
melina_putri

Looks like Daisuki is going to simulcast this series worldwide (except Japan and China Proper).
https://www.facebook.com/note.php?no...91202854371818

I guess this is Daisuki exclusive, not simulcasted on other sites like CR or Funimation.

Last edited by melina_putri; 2014-04-19 at 18:02.
melina_putri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-04-21, 12:07   Link #71
MisaoFan
Autistic NEET bath lover

Spoiler for Episode 1:
Have your social attention be noticed in a genuinely positive light.
MyAnimeList
MisaoFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-04-21, 14:40   Link #72
Flower
Blooming on the mountain

Location: Deep in their roots, all flowers keep the light....
Well that was certainly... odd. Some interesting things, but... umm... how shall I say this... nothing that really stood out, I guess? Almost as if it were interesting and has potential, but the potential can be seen lying to the side and was untapped in the first ep, somehow? It is there, but... Ah! As if they threw a lot of things at us at once from a full course meal but only the less tastier entrees. That's it.

Well, I will put it on trial for now. Maybe things will become "fuller" next ep or two.

The feel of the first ep was absolutely different from the available manga chapters. Night and day does not even come close to describing the contrast for me.
Old 2014-04-21, 14:40   Link #73
bakaouji

Not a great first episode, in fact, I don't think it'd be inaccurate to call it weak.

After a short overture which gives a glimpse of the core of the story, we're flung into the middle of the mess without as much a heads-up. So there's a dark void called the Lightless Realm that ostensibly covers up a significant portion of the city. Within this dark void are aberrations that 'feed' on humans and assimilate their husks to become life-sized monsters called Admonitions (which seem to retain a tiny shred of humanity) that are obviously beyond help. Tasked with dealing with these aberrations are a bunch of kids who are chosen to pilot mechs called Vess. Why a bunch of kids are recruited for such a dangerous job isn't offered up for explanation but I'm sure there's some convenient explanation for that.

It's pretty clear that the show's too anxious to get to the the third act so it can shove the trainees into the midst of the action after their basic training's covered in an extremely short montage that feels like it's hastily tacked on.

The premiere tries to juggle way too many threads at once at the outset-- protags maligned dark past, the mystery behind the Admonitions, short training sequence topped off with a fight in the end that's almost completely shrouded in darkness-- and ends up undercutting itself at every turn.

And the abominable CG isn't doing any favors for the show that's inadvertently making a case against itself.

Not really sold on this show but I'm gonna give this a try and see where it goes before deciding further.
bakaouji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-04-21, 15:54   Link #74
Haak
Me, An Intellectual

I actually liked this premiere. Nothing amazing but I was able to get into the atmosphere and it was a little disturbing to consider that admonition a former human mother before it gets brutally killed. I guess not a lot of people will like the art and animation but I thought it gave a nice retro look that helped give off a mood you could take seriously. It also helped that it seems to be generally devoid of the common otaku "fetishes" that I'm growing more and more fed up with so that's certainly a plus. My only major gripe is that it didn't really establish very well what exactly these Admonitions were and how they came about but for some reason that didn't actually bother me so much, perhaps because I was immediately comparing this to Knights of Sidonia which I considered far less approachable.
Haak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-04-21, 15:57   Link #75
Flower
Blooming on the mountain

Location: Deep in their roots, all flowers keep the light....
Hmm... that's interesting Haak. I felt sidonia the easier of the two series to absorb in terms of premier eps....

But I definitely agree that the reveal of the admonition was unsettlingly effective.

Well, maybe future eps of this series will help illumine the anime as a whole, and also help remove the disparity between the different mediums (i.e. manga vs anime) for me.
Old 2014-04-21, 16:07   Link #76
ChampDream
Alive

It was interesting in some parts, but don't feel that there any interesting character yet.
I wait for the next episode to see what they do with this.
Old 2014-04-21, 19:03   Link #77
Jerseykid

That was weird, what was in the air at the end? Was it something different or the same thing the good robot just used the spike to kill?
Jerseykid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-04-21, 19:38   Link #78
Ii_chan
Silent Ghost

I don't think this episode bad.

they almost throw main plot-like in first episode, and people not see the reason to continue watch next episode.
Ii_chan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-04-21, 22:18   Link #79
MgMaster

This premiere got me interested but I can just see this turning into a melodramatic mecha anime later on,even if it turns out to have a strong start. I'm just waiting for the moments that'll decide if it's a "turn off your brain & enjoy it" show or not.
MgMaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-04-21, 22:29   Link #80
HandofFate

1st episode wasn't bad I think.
Hazuki is really annoying, she strikes me as a 25-28 year old, but trying to act like a high schooler.

The storyboarding reminds me of some of the 90s or earlier one-off standalone anime movies.

Tags
action, mecha