AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Haruhi Suzumiya

Notices

Old 2008-05-16, 17:11   Link #1041
Reckoner
Bittersweet Distractor

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ_RockmanX View Post
Do I sense a twinge of bitterness here?
Not really, it's just the Haruhist in me. If people like Clannad I don't care if KyoAni spends time animating it for them. I just would never like it mixing with Haruhi. Too different, and just not of the same quality story on any level in my opinion.

Although, it seems people are bitter at my comment as I see I got two neg reps for it . It makes me chuckle to say the least.
Reckoner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-05-16, 17:15   Link #1042
Tyabann
Homo Ludens

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reckoner View Post
Nah, if people like Clannad I don't care if KyoAni spends time animating it for them. I just would never like it mixing with Haruhi. Too different, and just not of the same quality story on any level.
Play the game and then say that.

I'm actually of the opinion that Clannad is of BETTER story quality than Haruhi-- if only because it's a complete story.

We have yet to see how Haruhi will end, and if it ends next volume like some people are expecting, I'll be writing it off as FAIL, due to the fact that it's impossible to wrap up a story of Haruhi's caliber well in one more book.

Despite this, I still like Haruhi better than Clannad.
Tyabann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-05-16, 17:23   Link #1043
Reckoner
Bittersweet Distractor

Hey man learn to respect other people's opinions. I don't really like Clannad, deal with it. If you like it fine, it doesn't matter to me. I'm not going to attack you for your likes and dislikes. All I did was state an opinion, that is what a forum is for no? That and information.

And I don't think novel 10 is going to be the last one unless it is REALLLLLLLLLY long.
Reckoner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-05-16, 17:34   Link #1044
Tunafishisgood
Tuna Lover

X3 Just like Starfish Dango Arguement...

They are both great stuff XD Let's get along now... I think we are going offtopic.
Tunafishisgood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-05-16, 18:49   Link #1045
Tyabann
Homo Ludens

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reckoner View Post
Hey man learn to respect other people's opinions. I don't really like Clannad, deal with it. If you like it fine, it doesn't matter to me. I'm not going to attack you for your likes and dislikes. All I did was state an opinion, that is what a forum is for no? That and information.
I'm sorry, I'm just used to people providing reasons for their opinions.
Old 2008-05-17, 08:00   Link #1046
typhonsentra

Doesn't look like her? I don't remember many details about her appearance in the text of Volume 9.
typhonsentra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-05-17, 12:33   Link #1047
Tyabann
Homo Ludens

Quote:
Originally Posted by typhonsentra View Post
Doesn't look like her? I don't remember many details about her appearance in the text of Volume 9.
Spoiler for Slider Girl's dialogue:

...Does that sound like Kyon-chan at all?

Spoiler for Slider Girl's Apperance:

Similar build, but the hair is totally different.

Again, I suspect she's an older, alternate version of Kyon's Sister.
Old 2008-05-17, 22:35   Link #1048
ganbaru
books-eater youkai

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaisos Erranon View Post
[Again, I suspect she's an older, alternate version of Kyon's Sister.
And why not the Kyon's sister friend ( the one fron the ''date'' seen in vol 8) we just don't have enought info for finding who she is
ganbaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-05-21, 13:46   Link #1049
Tyabann
Homo Ludens

Quote:
Originally Posted by ganbaru View Post
And why not the Kyon's sister friend ( the one fron the ''date'' seen in vol 8) we just don't have enought info for finding who she is
Because Miyoko is much more physically mature than Kyon's Sister is. He'd recognize her even if she was a few years older.

His sister, not so much.

Again, it's a fan theory, and theories are all we can come up with at this time.

Edit:

Hey, looks like Manga Vol. 6 is coming out.

As well as some kind of ripoff of Shana-tan... or something.
Old 2008-05-22, 14:57   Link #1050
IchiKyo
大いなる希望の力、キュア・ドリーム!

Send a message via AIM to IchiKyo Send a message via MSN to IchiKyo Send a message via Yahoo to IchiKyo
I agree

IchiKyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-05-23, 02:25   Link #1051
Kogetsu Shirogane
Kneel Before Your King!

Send a message via AIM to Kogetsu Shirogane
Quote:
Because Miyoko is much more physically mature than Kyon's Sister is. He'd recognize her even if she was a few years older.

His sister, not so much.
I'd like to think that, given how observant he is, he'd be able to recognize his own sister. Besides, the SOS Brigade serves the tertiary purpose* of acting as Kyon's personal harem-genre group(if you don't count Itsuki... unless you feel like including a yaoi pairing ), and adding his sister into the mix would either throw a wrench into the formula or make things rather creepy.

*Primary purpose: What Haruhi says it's for. Secondary purpose: A way for the time travelers, Organization and IDSE to keep her satisfied so she doesn't try blowing up the universe.
WARNING: Kogetsu Shirogane cannot be held accountable for any actions taken by someone else. Potential side effects of communicating with this user include headaches, mild confusion, insanity, delirium, and jumping into fires. Do not expose this user to sunlight or water or feed this user after midnight.
... so you think you're a king now...
Kogetsu Shirogane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-05-23, 03:43   Link #1052
Bionicman

A comment that Kaisos Erranon made in another thread (about Volume 10) reminded me of thoughts I have regarding future developments in the series.
Quote:
In addition, if the series is trying to build towards a HaruhixKyon ending, there's precious little setup for that at all. They're only a bit closer than they were back when the series began.

If book 10 does end the series, it will be a rushed and incomplete ending with no romantic development whatsoever.
Kaisos is certainly not alone in thinking that Haruhi and Kyon will be romantic partners by the end of the series. Indeed, most people treat it as a given, and it's not hard to see why. However, I wonder if it is as necessary as many seem to think. Someone at the beginning of the thread complained about the lack of development in the Haruhi/Kyon romance subplot. When I first read the novels (having just finished the series, which in my opinion plays up the romance), I also wondered why that subplot didn't progress. However, on later readings, I ignored the romance, and found that the novels seemed more entertaining and well written. I more consciously thought of the underlying 'struggle' of the novels as the attempts to balance fun with maturity, to have fun with the world on its own terms. If you look at the series that way, there's been plenty of development, with Haruhi both relearning to have fun and learning to deal with the 'mundane' world (including things like social interactions and responsibility), and Kyon learning to enjoy an active and varied life (notice the change in his attitude towards the brigade, especially after volume four). According to this view, the series would reach a suitable conclusion with both having learned how to find fun in the 'real world' (note how as the series progresses, Haruhi's powers diminish), with Haruhi having also learned how to function socially, and Kyon realizing that he doesn't have to settle for the life of monotony he'd resigned himself to at the beginning. The key point here is that this doesn't require the two to 'get together' for the plot to reach a suitable conclusion. In a sense, the more time they spend together, the less such an ending is necessary. Throughout the series, they've learned from each other - Haruhi how to deal with the real world, Kyon how to have fun. Their interactions have helped them grow as humans - but that brings up a classic situation: by making each other more complete people (Haruhi becoming more socially active and Kyon becoming more vital and lively), each ultimately has less need of the other. Part of what brought and kept them together was a desire to have fun (which they're learning to do on their own), and part of it was that they could balance each other out (which they're beginning to do on their own). Point is, if the series ended with them thinking/saying that they needed each other, the thematic development would arguably be weaker.
Bionicman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-05-23, 11:51   Link #1053
Sol Falling

Not a bad analysis, but I would say that 'balancing each other out' is just an effect of their relationship, not something they conciously appreciate. Thus, outgrowing the need for that balance would not necessarily negate the feelings keeping them together. Although there isn't any pressing need for HaruhixKyon, it would be a natural development stemming from their trust and shared experiences (given the precedents set already; although, like you, I'm not reading the novels for romance, I still managed to find scenes like Haruhi and Kyon's physical confrontation in Editor in Chief - Straight Ahead satisfying from that perspective).

Basically, I would agree that Haruhi/Kyon saying they needed each other would be regressive in terms of character development, but surely there are many other forms and motivations for romance, right?
Sol Falling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-05-23, 16:06   Link #1054
Tyabann
Homo Ludens

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bionicman View Post
Kaisos is certainly not alone in thinking that Haruhi and Kyon will be romantic partners by the end of the series. Indeed, most people treat it as a given, and it's not hard to see why. However, I wonder if it is as necessary as many seem to think. Someone at the beginning of the thread complained about the lack of development in the Haruhi/Kyon romance subplot. When I first read the novels (having just finished the series, which in my opinion plays up the romance), I also wondered why that subplot didn't progress. However, on later readings, I ignored the romance, and found that the novels seemed more entertaining and well written. I more consciously thought of the underlying 'struggle' of the novels as the attempts to balance fun with maturity, to have fun with the world on its own terms. If you look at the series that way, there's been plenty of development, with Haruhi both relearning to have fun and learning to deal with the 'mundane' world (including things like social interactions and responsibility), and Kyon learning to enjoy an active and varied life (notice the change in his attitude towards the brigade, especially after volume four). According to this view, the series would reach a suitable conclusion with both having learned how to find fun in the 'real world' (note how as the series progresses, Haruhi's powers diminish), with Haruhi having also learned how to function socially, and Kyon realizing that he doesn't have to settle for the life of monotony he'd resigned himself to at the beginning. The key point here is that this doesn't require the two to 'get together' for the plot to reach a suitable conclusion. In a sense, the more time they spend together, the less such an ending is necessary. Throughout the series, they've learned from each other - Haruhi how to deal with the real world, Kyon how to have fun. Their interactions have helped them grow as humans - but that brings up a classic situation: by making each other more complete people (Haruhi becoming more socially active and Kyon becoming more vital and lively), each ultimately has less need of the other. Part of what brought and kept them together was a desire to have fun (which they're learning to do on their own), and part of it was that they could balance each other out (which they're beginning to do on their own). Point is, if the series ended with them thinking/saying that they needed each other, the thematic development would arguably be weaker.
Bolded part one- Sure, an internal change in attitude. Not really much of an external change. He still whines about everything.

Bolded part two- Other than Koizumi's suspicions, the only evidence of this is a decrease in occurrences of Closed Space. And they've begun to appear again at an alarming rate with Sasaki's appearance.

Bolded part three- Again, I don't see much change in Kyon at all.

You are right in most respects, though. Even then, Vol. 9 doesn't have the setup for an ending like that, unless we get a nice, happy Deus Ex to solve all the problems.

Which, if the author is smart, won't happen.

Also, everything that Sol Falling said.
Old 2008-05-23, 21:03   Link #1055
Triddy

I really don't see the series ending at 10. Too much left to do. 12 though? 12 is a good number. 15 is more than enough.

I think I am the only person left who still sees a Kyon/Mikuru. It's fairly well supported by the novels, one passage at the end of "The Melancholy of Asahina Mikuru," especially. It's just the forbidden thing. But then Mikuru could always go against it, and it's be great character development. The girl who was following orders the whole time without questioning them finally learns to question them.

Kyon/Haruhi? I can't be the only one to think of this as a deep relationship on a non-romantic level. I see them as siblings, almost. I agree with most of what Bionicman said. It's well written, and their relationship makes sense in that. With each other, they've grown to a new understanding of the world around them, and yet are not in a romantic relationship.

(By the way. Hey Everyone! First post here after being a several month lurker)
Triddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-05-23, 22:09   Link #1056
ganbaru
books-eater youkai

Quote:
Bolded part two- Other than Koizumi's suspicions, the only evidence of this is a decrease in occurrences of Closed Space. And they've begun to appear again at an alarming rate with Sasaki's appearance.
We could just say than it is not her power than is decreasing, but the use of that power.
ganbaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-05-23, 22:30   Link #1057
Kogetsu Shirogane
Kneel Before Your King!

Well yeah, that's basically what Kaisos was getting at. However, most people assume that it's actually her power itself that's waning.
WARNING: Kogetsu Shirogane cannot be held accountable for any actions taken by someone else. Potential side effects of communicating with this user include headaches, mild confusion, insanity, delirium, and jumping into fires. Do not expose this user to sunlight or water or feed this user after midnight.
Old 2008-05-23, 23:15   Link #1058
ClockWorkAngel
Aspiring Aspirer

Send a message via MSN to ClockWorkAngel
Haruhi is just getting alittle more stable (if that is thesible at all) We all know closed space is just a reflection of her mentality, more = bad, less = good. So we can't say she's losing her power, like Kaisos said.

Though I like the Kyon/Haruhi pairing it's far too cliche and perhaps a little bitter for Kyon, you can't exactly say that he's without pressure. I always liked the Kyon/Yuki pairing and I can't wait to see it animated, when ever that happens.

But Kyon/Haruhi would be the most likely ending, though yes it might be tastless, really I think they would go on to continue the SOS-Dan til graduation and they leave one another, whether forever or not, who knows.

Credit To Risa-chan!
ClockWorkAngel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-05-23, 23:59   Link #1059
Tunafishisgood
Tuna Lover

I'm assuming XD her power is not diminishing.. her mentality is getting more stable.
It's kind of hard for Kyon to deal with because he can't make her either too sad or too hyper and out of control.

Only way this whole thing will end is if Haruhi stops beliving in Alien, Time-travlers espers... and other weird stuff from imaginationland.
Tunafishisgood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-05-24, 00:17   Link #1060
Kogetsu Shirogane
Kneel Before Your King!

But where would that leave Mikuru, Yuki and Itsuki? Would they revert to (roughly) their Disappearance selves or would they just disappear altogether? Taking Haruhi's reality-altering powers into consideration, if she stopped believing in aliens, time-travelers, espers and whatnot, wouldn't those things cease to exist?

Tags
shounen, sneaker bunko, seinen, light novels, manga