AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2006-04-11, 22:27   Link #61
fict_ticious
I can has drinks?

Well, guess first impressions aren't everything. This anime is sticking with being serious, so it gets a plus with me. I'm hoping to maybe get a full explination as to the relationship between the dystopic city and the world of the shadow casters.
fict_ticious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-04-11, 22:31   Link #62
Orchunter226
Is rather bored...

It's like Pokemon where you kill the trainer. This is how Pokemon SHOULD have been (which is badass).
Orchunter226 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-04-12, 03:40   Link #63
Sazelyt
Μ ε r c ü r υ

The show is so far enjoying. Although you can make connections to many animes out there, if it can keep up its pace, it deserves to be put it in front of those similar ones.

In terms of the theme songs, it seems that I will go against the majority and give props to the ending theme rather than the relatively-ordinary opening theme. The more I listen to this "very very" song, the more I enjoy it.
Sazelyt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-04-13, 08:19   Link #64
Trax
Rock beats scissors

Heh, looks like I'm not the only one that was reminded of Pokemon here. With the difference that it usually involves killing the spirit's previous owner, unless that owner voluntarily hands it over or it's taken by force. I'm not really sure about the details yet, but I find it a bit odd that a spirit that is summoned from within and is basically part of a shard caster, can even be used by others like that.

As for Zed's spirit coming out, I must say I didn't expect that to happen so soon. Roia stated that having a spirit is special even among shard casters, and the stronger the spirit the stronger the caster has to be to use it. So I found it a bit lame that a rookie shard caster, no matter what his potential is, could just summon him (don't know the name of the spirit yet) already.

I liked the design of Roia's spirit Afkareru, who I assume is some sort of water elemental. Her main form is reminiscent of a mermaid, with a jellyfish shape as a dress, a fish shaped shoulderpiece, and some other fishy attributes. Ofcourse with the appropriate shades of aquatic blue.

Zed's spirit looks a bit weird, but the lighter colors and the feathers do fit the element of wind that's obviously associated with Zed. The wind symbolizes freedom, which he was sorely lacking in the world he came from (but not originally, it would seem). Calm was a good name for it, referring to the lack of wind that was prevalent in that city. Ofcourse, there's still alot unknown about his background, but since he never got the chance to talk to his mother that finally snapped out of it, it looks like it might be a while before we find out more.

Zed himself... I don't like him all that much yet, always running off without any consideration for others. And cocky too, I'm actually glad Dumas put him in his place.

Btw. there seem to be quite a bit of groups subbing this, for the first 2 episodes I watched Kyuuketsuki's version. Although I'm considering switching to Maboroshi's version because they don't seem to have that annoying clock on the screen according to this fansub comparison.

Last edited by Trax; 2006-04-13 at 08:37.
Trax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-04-13, 08:46   Link #65
shinga
kiyoubinbou

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trax
Btw. there seem to be quite a bit of groups subbing this, for the first 2 episodes I watched Kyuuketsuki's version. Although I'm considering switching to Maboroshi's version because they don't seem to have that annoying clock on the screen according to this fansub comparison.
That just means you have to wait a few days for another channel to air KIBA, since the first raws that air have the clock.

Another reason why we're not waiting for that raw (or releasing a version without the clock) is because besides the clock being gone, there's really no other discernable quality difference.
shinga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-04-13, 09:19   Link #66
Trax
Rock beats scissors

I don't mind the clock per se, I've seen it before on other subs (although it could be that there was no alternative anyway). But for some reason the 'half clock' (only the colon + minutes) kinda bugs me, while a full clock might not. But after having another look at those comparison screenies, it does seem that the image for Kyuuketsuki's version is clearer, plus I prefer the subbing font to the others.
Old 2006-04-13, 11:59   Link #67
Sazelyt
Μ ε r c ü r υ

Quote:
But after having another look at those comparison screenies, it does seem that the image for Kyuuketsuki's version is clearer, plus I prefer the subbing font to the others.
Actually, all the fansubs other than Kyuu's are, in terms of colors/clarity, in lower quality.
Sazelyt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-04-13, 15:00   Link #68
Sonhex
Not dead. Yet.
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Zed's spirit looks a bit weird, but the lighter colors and the feathers do fit the element of wind that's obviously associated with Zed. The wind symbolizes freedom, which he was sorely lacking in the world he came from (but not originally, it would seem). Calm was a good name for it, referring to the lack of wind that was prevalent in that city. Ofcourse, there's still alot unknown about his background, but since he never got the chance to talk to his mother that finally snapped out of it, it looks like it might be a while before we find out more.
Jiiko's elemental spirit is Fire and the blonde bishi in the next ep preview seems to have the Earth elemental. The evil guy in the OP (Noah) probably has Ether. So it's likely there are only 5 'key' spirits; each based on the 'Classical' elements. This would also explain why people are prepared to kill for them.

Also if Templa is the 'windy' city then it makes sense that there will be other cities or locations based around the elements. In fact the art on the official site seems to suggest this.

Is it me or did that blonde bishi steal Rose of Solty Rei's haircut?
Sonhex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-04-14, 01:39   Link #69
Mareel

Send a message via AIM to Mareel
All I know is, even is the show is crap, I'm watching it for the sweet glowy swords!
Mareel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-04-14, 07:10   Link #70
Jaden

Not sure what to think about this anime, based on the second episode it seems very summon-duel-ish :|
I mean sure, they also use the things they pull out of their hands/necks/asses to power up lightsabers and nuke stuff, but that's all completely overpowered by spirits.
Old 2006-04-14, 11:09   Link #71
Trax
Rock beats scissors

That sword cut through a rooftop like a knife through butter, it would seem like something that can be used efficiently against the smaller spirits as well (things like that dragon seem a bit too much though). But ugh, they remind me too much of lightsabers. They could at least have picked a few different colors.

Quote:
The evil guy in the OP (Noah) probably has Ether.
I'm not familiar with that type of element, isn't Ether just a gas? Anyway, there's still alot unknown, it could be that there are different spirits of each elemental type. For example, that water elemental didn't seem that much more powerful, so it could be one on the lower end of the scale. And other possible types could be poison, darkness, light, along with the generic 'monster' types.
Old 2006-04-14, 11:16   Link #72
fict_ticious
I can has drinks?

What made the second episode good was they didn't make Zed an automatic hero (minus the spirit summon). What I mean is he didn't have any inherent uber-sword fighting capabilities - losing his footing and cutting open a roof.
fict_ticious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-04-14, 11:23   Link #73
Razz

Is this series worth watching? The first ep made me want to club baby seals, repeatedly.
Razz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-04-14, 11:26   Link #74
Trax
Rock beats scissors

First ep was a bit of a turnoff because of the dark urban environment, but the fantasy element takes off in ep 2 so if you like that give it a try.
Old 2006-04-14, 12:15   Link #75
Sonhex
Not dead. Yet.
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
I'm not familiar with that type of element, isn't Ether just a gas? Anyway, there's still alot unknown, it could be that there are different spirits of each elemental type. For example, that water elemental didn't seem that much more powerful, so it could be one on the lower end of the scale. And other possible types could be poison, darkness, light, along with the generic 'monster' types.
Ether (or Aether) is the fifth classical element. Alchemists believed it was the substance of the Universe. It's a mythical element really...
Sonhex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-04-14, 13:37   Link #76
Sinestra
ショ ン (^^)
*IT Support

Send a message via AIM to Sinestra Send a message via MSN to Sinestra Send a message via Yahoo to Sinestra
Kiba continues to hold my attention the second episode was pretty good lots of action and we finally get to see his spirt. Does anyone know whats up the little balls they use everytime they want to use a sword its pretty weird but i like it
Old 2006-04-14, 14:23   Link #77
chiimack

That's what I can't get. When Zed is
Spoiler:
And I agree with some in that I don't like the plot hole where the girl told him that you had to be strong or stronger than the spirit that you summon and he barely knows what is going on and he can do that?
chiimack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-04-14, 14:46   Link #78
Quajafrie
Not here anymore!

I only continue watching this only for the music... but if the next episode is as bad as this one, then I'll drop it immediately.
Quajafrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-04-14, 23:54   Link #79
Kamajii

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiimack
That's what I can't get. When Zed is
Spoiler:
And I agree with some in that I don't like the plot hole where the girl told him that you had to be strong or stronger than the spirit that you summon and he barely knows what is going on and he can do that?

Its not that you have to be as strong or stronger than the spirit to summon it, it's that you would have to be stronger than the spirit to be it's master. With that in consideration it only foreshadows the immense potiential within Zedd that is waiting to be awakened.
Kamajii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-04-15, 00:19   Link #80
Sapere
Comic Martyr

I agree with Kamajii's point. I think if you pay attention to the dialogue, the difference is clear. Unless it didn't 'register' to you that Zed was trying to ask the name of his spirit before he passed out.

Once Zed becomes strong enough to master it, he will discover the spirit's name and 'unlock' (so to speak) it's full potential. I'm sure the spirit's eyes will open then as well...
Sapere is offline   Reply With Quote