AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat

Notices

Old 2010-01-25, 13:15   Link #1
john_kun
Banned

Anime's effect on the animation

So as topic suggests let's discuss anime's influence on American cartoons and animated shows. Shows like w.i.t.c.h and totally spies seem to start taking over from anime world.

Do you guys think other American new shows will start to take over art from anime world more and more this decade? or it will remain as it is with all kinds of arts?
john_kun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-01-25, 13:56   Link #2
synaesthetic
blinded by blood
*Author

Send a message via AIM to synaesthetic
The whole situation with animesque series just makes me laugh.

They're American animations using an art style based on a Japanese art style that's largely based on American pop culture.

We've come full circle!
Old 2010-01-25, 13:57   Link #3
john_kun
Banned

never heard of it. what is it about?
Old 2010-01-25, 14:07   Link #4
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by john_kun View Post
never heard of it. what is it about?
Syn didn't mention a specific series.... just remarked that American animation in general is already trending towards anime styles; current anime styles descended from looking at Western cartoons of the 50s and 60s (specifically Disney) - its where the "big eye" syndrome comes from.
Since animated cartoon faces are too simple to show a lot of emotional texture... increasing the eye size permits more emotional nuance to be easily drawn.

The big failure of current American animation is the insistence that episodes and stories have "moral of the day" themes instead of just telling a good story. Many viewers feel like they're being whacked on the head with a ham-fisted morality play as a result. Animaniacs lampooned this with their "Wheel of Morality" at the end of each episode back in the early '90s.
Old 2010-01-25, 14:09   Link #5
synaesthetic
blinded by blood
*Author

It's funny, but I don't really find it bad. This recursive trend is certainly better than seeing more horrible abominations of animation like Ed, Edd & Eddy, Cat/Dog or Cow & Chicken...
Old 2010-01-25, 14:11   Link #6
john_kun
Banned

nahh I was referring to animesque series which I never heard about before that's all.

haha but I love big eyes context. it makes girls really cute in it. still really big eyes usually belong to more shoujo type genres.

hey i love edd edd n eddy
Old 2010-01-25, 14:19   Link #7
0utf0xZer0
Pretentious moe scholar

Quote:
haha but I love big eyes context. it makes girls really cute in it. still really big eyes usually belong to more shoujo type genres.
*Glances at his Utawarerumono and Sola wallscrolls, then at his Clannad coffee mug*

You might want to brush up on the difference between shoujo and bishoujo...

Signature courtesy of Ganbaru.
0utf0xZer0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-01-25, 14:21   Link #8
john_kun
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by 0utf0xZer0 View Post
*Glances at his Utawarerumono and Sola wallscrolls, then at his Clannad coffee mug*

now do I ?

hey I love your icon though. really nice
Old 2010-01-25, 14:37   Link #9
synaesthetic
blinded by blood
*Author

"Animesque" is just a term used to describe animation not produced in or by Japanese companies, that resembles Japanese animation.
Old 2010-01-25, 14:46   Link #10
john_kun
Banned

oh wow good to know that. but why use sucha odd word to describe it? what does a queue have to do with anything?
Old 2010-01-25, 14:58   Link #11
synaesthetic
blinded by blood
*Author

*facepalm*

It doesn't have anything to do with a queue. The suffix "-esque" added to a noun converts the noun into an adjective meaning "like or similar to."

So "animesque" means "something like or similar to Japanese animation."
Old 2010-01-25, 15:00   Link #12
john_kun
Banned

haha relax. don't face palm me. I was just kiddin

nice icon btw

Japanese animation huh. interesting indeed
Old 2010-01-25, 15:01   Link #13
0utf0xZer0
Pretentious moe scholar

Quote:
Quote:

now do I ?

hey I love your icon though. really nice
Shoujo is anime/manga aimed at a young female audience. Bishoujo is an art style featuring beautiful girls but which is targetted primarily to a male audience. Both tend to feature characters with big eyes.

The character in my avatar (Mashiro Mito from Tayutama) is actually a decent example. In some cases, it can be hard to tell the difference between shoujo and bishoujo... you have to know the target audience beforehand. In other cases, it's easier to tell - if the girl is in a sexy pose, it's probably bishoujo.

Signature courtesy of Ganbaru.
0utf0xZer0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-01-25, 15:05   Link #14
james0246

Quote:
So as topic suggests let's discuss anime's influence on American cartoons and animated shows. Shows like w.i.t.c.h and totally spies seem to start taking over from anime world.
Quick question, and feel free not to respond if you think it is too personal, but are you French? I only ask because you highlighted 2 cartoons originally made and aired in France, rather than, say, Teen Titans (a American cartoon known mostly for its animesque style) or Avatar.

That being said, I am not 100% sure what is your question. Are you upset that western animation is becoming more stylistically similar to anime? Or, are you simply commenting on the general trend of western animation to take ideas and styles from various sources?
james0246 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-01-25, 15:16   Link #15
john_kun
Banned

Quote:
Shoujo is anime/manga aimed at a young female audience. Bishoujo is an art style featuring beautiful girls but which is targetted primarily to a male audience. Both tend to feature characters with big eyes.

The character in my avatar (Mashiro Mito from Tayutama) is actually a decent example. In some cases, it can be hard to tell the difference between shoujo and bishoujo... you have to know the target audience beforehand. In other cases, it's easier to tell - if the girl is in a sexy pose, it's probably bishoujo.
*sigh* so I heard. now what was your point again?

and no James I am not french so don't worry. In fact I'm not sucha big fan of french people in general. or at least the stereo typical ones.

and those shows have not only been aired in France you know but all around the Europe mostly on fox kids but otherwise too .

as for your question yes it's the later most likely but I want to see your views about this in general. it can be either if you want too
Old 2010-01-25, 15:32   Link #16
Kamui4356
Aria Company

I don't know if it's true that western animation is becoming more anime like. That was the trend a few years ago, which gave rise to things like Teen Titans, but looking at some recent series they show some distinctive art styles. Look at Flapjack, Chowder, or Total Drama whatever. None of them are particularly anime inspired in my opinion.
Old 2010-01-25, 15:33   Link #17
Mystique
Honyaku no Hime
*Fansubber

Location: In the eastern capital of the islands of the rising suns...
Quote:

Do you guys think other American new shows will start to take over art from anime world more and more this decade? or it will remain as it is with all kinds of arts?
Thing is, W.I.T.C.H was created by an Italian comic artist before disney grabbed that, so her style and design (whether she was influenced by japan on not sure) was already defined.
I just wish she was around when I was a kid, multicultural fantasy for the win
(reminds me, i may as well finish the entire series eventually) >.>

Then again, at least its not Hi Hi Puffy Ami Yumi x.x;;;
(which ironically, seems to do ok in japan for an american cartoon) :\
But this embraces the weird ass, yucky style of cartoon network, so not totally going back on itself.

Worrying is like a rocking chair. It gives you something to do, but it doesn't get you anywhere. - Van Wilder
"If you ain't laughin', you ain't livin'." - Carlos Mencia
Mystique is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-01-25, 15:35   Link #18
qwertyuiopz

lol totally spies was aired 7yrs ago
qwertyuiopz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-01-25, 15:42   Link #19
RedShocktrooper
Charge Me!

Location: I'm not gone! I'm where you either use a slingshot or a gun!
Quote:
Originally Posted by qwertyuiopz View Post
lol totally spies was aired 7yrs ago
Note the artistic direction. (I recall stumbling upon it on Wikipedia - it's not even made in the States proper, but France or something.)

Also, not even games are exempt - Mecha have slowly replaced Tanks in more Scifi-ish settings - and those who DO use tanks are lagging behind considerably.

Not even Command & Conquer is exempt (Red Alert 3 has an entire faction devoted to Anime shoutouts, and further ones can be found in the other two factions, if you look hard enough.) Before RA3, we had the TW Avatar, which looks somewhat Anime-esque (it looks like a Westernized Mecha, to me).
RedShocktrooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-01-25, 15:42   Link #20
james0246

^Actually, Totally Spies is still being aired in France (a sixth or seventh (I forget) season is coming out later this year). In fact, the series just released a origin film last Summer (to some accalim)...

Personally, I have always preffered the series in French...mostly because I never understood what anyone was saying, but the acting was still good enough that I never had to actually understand what was being said.

edit: RedShocktrooper partially beat me to the punch...
james0246 is offline   Reply With Quote