AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Manga

Notices

Old 2010-04-15, 10:35   Link #201
Sol Falling

:P This seems to have happened to a couple of mangas, and apparently it's just a 'glitch'. Mangafox is basically doing a 'cleanup'/check due to advertiser pressure, and as a result a whole bunch of series with tags possibly associated with the 'mature' label such as yaoi, yuri, shotacon, etc, have become temporarily unavailable. The article/document the staff were attributing the 'advertiser pressure' to however seemed primarily aimed at lolicon/shotacon material, so presumably most of the removed material will return. It does seem like some censorship is gonna be taking place, which is lame, but Franken Fran is probably safe.
Sol Falling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-04-15, 16:07   Link #202
Izayoi
I LOVE FLAN_CHAN
*Graphic Designer

Send a message via MSN to Izayoi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Haesslich View Post
Actually, she said she was a doctor who wanted to heal everyone and that life was the most valuable thing repeatedly in earlier chapters...
She said she was a doctor? Source please? I am pretty sure that was hypocrisy or just plain out of character. Right in the beginning of the chapter after developing her more from the oneshot, she says she is not a doctor. If you are reading the same thing I am reading, you would realize her action really conflict with the fact that she cares about "saving life" and if she says that she cares about life, then that is just pure irony that have yet to be caught on. Yes she may care about helping other out, but it is put in a low priority compare to the discovering the laws of the profound nature. Compare it to a biologist doing experiment on rats, the priority is on the same level. Wonders why people still don't get that Fran is a researcher not a doctor... the author explained it several times in earlier plot.

Last edited by Solace; 2010-04-16 at 01:36. Reason: Don't link to sites with licensed content.
Izayoi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-04-15, 23:12   Link #203
FateAnomaly

She does care about life but not in the way normal people do. She think of it as a resource that should not be wasted.

IMO, her priority is roughly as follows
Love: Romantic love, parental love, sibling love. Especially love between her and the professor.

Research: Thats what she does both as her profession and hobby.

Money: Not because she covet wealth itself but because she needed money to fund her research.

Responsibility: When she feels she is responsible for a particular situation, she will try to make it right. The problem is her cure is often worse. However, she also thinks that if you ask for it, then the responsibility is solely yours.

Then there is life. Which is more because of her stance towards love and research than to life itself.
FateAnomaly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-04-15, 23:22   Link #204
Haesslich
Go to DMC! Go to DMC!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Izayoi View Post
She said she was a doctor? Source please? I am pretty sure that was hypocrisy or just plain out of character. Right in the beginning of the chapter after developing her more from the oneshot, she says she is not a doctor. If you are reading the same thing I am reading, you would realize her action really conflict with the fact that she cares about "saving life" and if she says that she cares about life, then that is just pure irony that have yet to be caught on. Yes she may care about helping other out, but it is put in a low priority compare to the discovering the laws of the profound nature. Compare it to a biologist doing experiment on rats, the priority is on the same level. Wonders why people still don't get that Fran is a researcher not a doctor... the author explained it several times in earlier plot.
See the Extra chapter in Volume 1, "Movie Star" for one example:

"I bet that it's about how I treat illnesses. I'll save lots of people."

Okita comments to himself a panel later about how she can't 'see herself'.

Chapter 10, page 4:

"But lately, everyone's been treating me like nothing but a doctor-"
(Okita: CAn you call yourself that without actually healing people?)

- Okita points out the hypocrisy, but Fran sees herself as a healer still, given that she's treated 'as a doctor' and has performed cosmetic surgery per Chapter 4.

Chapter 11, page 7-8:

"He was so mean to me - you'd think I was some sort of mad scientist. I just wanted to see if I could help out. He told me that I make people into monsters! Don't you think that's mean?"

Go to page 10, where she hears who the doctor is: "I hate to admit it, but he really is the better choice."

Or page 19 when she cackles madly after Kaya-chan indicates a 'greater doctor' can fix the great doctor if they're sick... and then she goes off to fix Jerald. Not the actions of a researcher interested in data, nor did she apparently see herself as a researcher in this case.

Chapter 14, the whole thing, but especially page 16:

"But I have my own purpose. My hands were created to save people. If you've spent any real time with the Professor, then you should understand. You know what it is that the professor is fighting for. And that is... the growth of science and the happiness of humanity!"

Also, Page 22-23:
"Just as you refuse to stop killing... I can't allow anyone to die if I can keep them alive."

"Life may not be perfect sometimes, but it is always a precious thing."

There's also much of Chapter 16, "Adorea" where she seems to see herself as a doctor, ditto Chapter 15 when she indicates 'other medical facilities would charge you much more'.

Chapter 20, "The Final Movie"

- she doesn't spend any time in this chapter doing research - the only thing she does is try to keep Nastasia-san going, at least until she can't continue any further. She doesn't show any interest in doing research either; just acting in a strictly medical role, which seems to be more the theme in Volume 3.

Chapter 26, "Piety"

- note how she refers to herself as the 'physician in charge'. No denial of her self-image as a healer or medical person, even if her love is research and trying to advance science and human happiness, as she puts it.

- while this doesn't change the fact she seems to get off on research, she still feels that human well-being and healing is a priority for her... even though she has no qualms about people dying, per se. It's the 'keeping them alive, no matter what' part which makes her creepy.

This is also why I love Victoria - even if she's paranoid and prone to killing, she seems to be more moral than Fran is.

Last edited by Solace; 2010-04-16 at 01:36. Reason: Don't link to sites that contain licensed content.
Haesslich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-04-15, 23:22   Link #205
Wrath88
Kissing...

Responsibility... the painter who asked for her to fix his eyes sure didn't ask for all the add-ons, did he?
Old 2010-04-15, 23:43   Link #206
FateAnomaly

She already told him there is a risk. He has acknowledged that and chosen to take the risk.

Edit:
To Haesslich. It is too troublesome to reply to all the things you quoted. Lets just say we have different interpretations of the same event.

Last edited by FateAnomaly; 2010-04-15 at 23:54.
FateAnomaly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-04-16, 01:22   Link #207
Kleeyook
Yandere maniax

Quote:
Originally Posted by FateAnomaly View Post
She already told him there is a risk. He has acknowledged that and chosen to take the risk.

Edit:
To Haesslich. It is too troublesome to reply to all the things you quoted. Lets just say we have different interpretations of the same event.
Anyway, who's the woman he was with at the end of that chapter anyway? He sees everything to look hideous except that woman.
Kleeyook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-04-16, 01:40   Link #208
Wrath88
Kissing...

Go read about this NITROPLUS game title 'Saya no Uta'. The entire thing can be considered similar to that chapter.
Old 2010-04-16, 16:05   Link #209
Izayoi
I LOVE FLAN_CHAN
*Graphic Designer

Send a message via MSN to Izayoi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Haesslich View Post
- while this doesn't change the fact she seems to get off on research, she still feels that human well-being and healing is a priority for her... even though she has no qualms about people dying, per se. It's the 'keeping them alive, no matter what' part which makes her creepy.
Well maybe you are right, I guess we both have different idea about the character I guess...
Old 2010-04-17, 13:11   Link #210
Poetic Justice
100Shots100Hits LuluLaLu

@ People debating the legitimacy of fran as a doctor. Its meant to be a tongue-in-cheek manga with dark humor.

Also flying spaghetti monster was so hilarious, The mangaka sure knows his pop culture.
Poetic Justice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-04-18, 23:15   Link #211
Sound of Azure
...Is that so?

Chapter 30 is awesome! Fran seems to have found herself a fan club!
Sound of Azure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-04-19, 00:00   Link #212
Mizuno
Undefined

Send a message via MSN to Mizuno
A bizarre fanclub. DO NOT WANT. XD

Interesting creation she made this time... lol
Mizuno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-04-19, 00:19   Link #213
Samanosuke
Genma Killer

Gotta love the irony of Fran not only running away from something but calling it a "freak show" , Awesome !
Samanosuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-04-19, 00:21   Link #214
Xion Valkyrie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samanosuke View Post
Gotta love the irony of Fran not only running away from something but calling it a "freak show" , Awesome !
Haha, yeah. For once, even she is freaked out.
Xion Valkyrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-04-19, 02:00   Link #215
Hypernova

Location: Virgo Supercluster, Milky Way, Orion Arm, Sol, Earth, Taiwan
The law of natural distribution at work. there was bound to be a few people like that out there.

She still had to got back there to sort it out though, otherwise she would be leaving them there to starve to death once the IV runs out.
Hypernova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-04-19, 07:50   Link #216
Wrath88
Kissing...

I had a feeling we might see something like this eventually.
'What would freak out the usually unflappable Fran?'
Old 2010-04-19, 08:11   Link #217
Sol Falling

The fake!murder mystery setup was pretty amusing as well. It's a bunch of locked room cases? lol no, actually they were commiting suicide so they could get off on surgery.
Old 2010-04-19, 20:13   Link #218
Haesslich
Go to DMC! Go to DMC!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sol Falling View Post
The fake!murder mystery setup was pretty amusing as well. It's a bunch of locked room cases? lol no, actually they were commiting suicide so they could get off on surgery.
Best part was they used her sense of responsibility to heal people to get her to 'heal' them... and then she calls THEM creepy.
Haesslich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-04-22, 01:24   Link #219
Sol Falling

Volume 4 extra is out...it's a sequel to the 'Pudding' dog story.

Spoiler:
Old 2010-04-22, 01:35   Link #220
Hypernova

Location: Virgo Supercluster, Milky Way, Orion Arm, Sol, Earth, Taiwan
LOL WTF

My reaction is pretty much the same as Veronica's.
Hypernova is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
horror, shounen