Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2006-12-30, 06:26   Link #181
Sonhex
Not dead. Yet.
*Graphic Designer

Guess I can't grumble about being able to finally add the Kurau dvds to my collection. But I'm kind of curious how they'll market it, considering its over 2 years old and genre-busting anime at its best. I bet they try and market it as a GITS clone...
Old 2007-01-01, 02:00   Link #182
NoSanninWa
Weapon of Mass Discussion
*Fansubber

Genre busting? How do you see this as breaking the bounds of any genres? It is pretty stock stuff to my eyes.

There's not that fine a line between willing suspension of disbelief and something just being stupid.
Old 2007-01-03, 10:47   Link #183
chrno

Send a message via AIM to chrno
Whoo Hoo!!!!

YESSSSSSSS!!!! IT'S ABOUT F***ING TIME!!!!

Now I can finally toss my files and finally own it. I was SOOOOOOO waiting for this news!!! I even thought about it the start of this year. What were the odds of hearing this? I guess the time has finally come!

I know the series is 2 years old now. I hope it will still do ok here. But again that thought is to be expected as the concept of the show might not be able to hold up to the more popular and mainstream works. And I have no clue of how this show did in Japan. I don't think it did as well. But it might have been enough for a select few. But I think it will probably find a place among "shoujo-ai" fans. It will most likely rank up there with 'Figure 17'. A drama which revolves around sci-fi but will have elements that will fall into "such" genres. It wont be for everyone though. I liked it very much. And it does pull at the heartstrings when things start moving along. So now folks will finally get a chance to see it.

Now I can rest happily now.

"I'm afraid 400 years won't cover me."
Old 2007-03-26, 22:31   Link #184
darkchibi07

Send a message via AIM to darkchibi07 Send a message via MSN to darkchibi07
Check out the first episode dubbed here:

http://media.tv.ign.com/media/896/896082/vids_1.html

Wow, I'm starting to get interested in this. Hmm, maybe I should start collecting this.
Old 2007-03-26, 22:39   Link #185
NoSanninWa
Weapon of Mass Discussion
*Fansubber

Yeah, I liked the first episode a lot also. Unfortunately the quality slowly dropped episode by episode after that... Characterization, plot, animation... I'd never have stayed with Kurau all to the last episode if I hadn't liked the first few episodes so much.

That's eight hours of my life that I'm never getting back.

There's not that fine a line between willing suspension of disbelief and something just being stupid.
Old 2007-03-28, 09:44   Link #186
Budweineken
Crap

I myself loved Kurau Phantom Memory, and thought the soundtrack of the series was great (the scenes with "Lonely Freedom" are powerful).

Now, ADV waiting for almost 3 years after licensing to finally release the series, that's very irresponsible if you ask me.
Old 2007-03-28, 16:03   Link #187
chrno

Got a chance to check out the dubbed version on IGN yesterday. I decided to since there's already a preview up on ANN's 'Shelf Life' section.

As much as I love this series I just couldn't handle it. If anything I bled and I laughed. But somehow I later found the VA for 'Kurau' (Rynax) wasn't too bad. Yet her doing "kiddie" 'Kurau' drove me crazy. It killed the mood. That's because trying to sound like a kid is always a pain. You either come off too loud, obnoxious or over rambunctious. It's like it has to have the right pitch. But the VA that does the father he pulled off some good moments especially the sad ones. But I'm not sure I like 'Kurau's voice as an adult. It's like she's got too much of an ego. Chances are it's probably the same VA trying to do all 3 roles.

April's issue of 'Newtype USA' has ep. 1 on the DVD. I guess for the preview, someone was able to get a full copy of vol. 1 earlier. It pays to be a reviewer.

Watching the first ep. again brought back those warm and fuzzy feelings that I experienced the first time around. There aren't many shows that can relax me like this one can. It's like "prozac". I have to admit picking 'S.E.N.S' for the score was a perfect choice. If you're curious to what piece I'm referring to it's during the sequence when the 'Rynax' after uniting with 'Kurau' experiences for the first time it's existence in a human host.

I really love this show. It's not super spectacular but it's got a pretty solid foundation. It's pretty slow pace in the beginning but if you can stick with it you'll find it has a good story. And there are moments it picks up. So it's pretty well balanced. But I wouldn't recommend this for the action oriented. This is really more "slice-of-life" with a sci-fi element. But sci-fi all the way.

Hey, we all have to take our chances with a project good or bad. So give it another chance 'NoSanninWa'. Hell, I've seen worst things.

The show's run is 24 ep. So that should be no more than 6 vols. Of course when we get to "thinpacks" they'll try to squeeze it down to 5. Just do what you did to 'Noir' and leave it vol. for vol. Why am I talking about this now? GAAH!! I must be tired.

Watch it! Enjoy it! Snuggle up to it on dull day with ice cream! Love it!

Last edited by chrno; 2007-03-29 at 07:48.
Old 2007-03-28, 19:58   Link #188
Kaoru Chujo
Yuuki Aoi

This is one of the 20 or so shows I have enjoyed most. Kawasumi Ayako does so well. The relationship with her ?sister? is played well. And the plot works. I never found that the story dragged, personally, and I have rewatched the first 2-3 episodes a couple of times. There's lots of real emotion here, for me. And the SF aspects and future look, at least in ep1, are well done, for me.

I don't know how to answer the question of whether it's "genre-busting" or not. Maybe the mix of shoujo-ai with the SF genre of person-with-special-powers-hunted-down makes it a genre-buster? If you think it's slice-of-life, too, then for sure it mixes genres, but I didn't see it that way. I often find people describing shows as slice-of-life when I feel there is a lot of action, but mainly interior emotional things going on.

And the OST is one I play pretty often.

EDIT: I just watched the dub of ep1, and although it was fairly awful, as far as I'm concerned, the show was still entertaining. If I didn't know any better, I guess it would be okay. Anything to get such a good story out to people. But I found the acting hackneyed and poor, formulaic in a way the Japanese isn't quite. Japanese anime acting does follow certain styles, but somehow gives more presence, to me. Maybe because it's a foreign language, I don't know. But the characters seemed to be Americanized into the kind of stereotypes you might only see and hear in bad TV movies. It seemed really like a cartoon, rather than an animated drama.

EDIT2: Oh, gosh. I just watched a couple of ep2 in Japanese, and it's like night and day. Kurau is like a totally different person in English, much grosser. The fine feelings of a kind of sad happiness that Kawasumi Ayako can project are just not there at all.

I don't watch dubs. Compared to other dubs, is this one bad, or just normal? I watched a couple of minutes of the Eureka7 dub that around and just gagged, but heard that it was not that good.
YUUKI Aoi 悠木碧. b92.03.27 (age 29). 2008 Kurenai (Murasaki). 2009 Yumeiro Pâtissière (Ichigo), Kiruminzuu (Riko), Yutori-chan (Yutori-chan). 2010 Vampire Bund (Mina Tepeş), Shiki (Sunako), Samurai Girls (Juubee), Pokémon: Black and White (Iris). 2011 Madoka Magica (Madoka), Gosick (Victorique), A-Channel (Tooru). 2012 Symphogear (Hibiki). 2014 Pilot's Love Song (Claire/Nina), Nanatsu no Taizai (Diane). 2015 Owari no Seraph (Krul Tepes), Rokka no Yuusha (Fremy). 2016 Boku no Hero Academia (Tsuyu, Froppy). 2017 Kino no Tabi (Kino). 2021 Kumo desu ga (watashi), Kaizoku Oujo (Karin), Heike Monogatari (Biwa), etc., etc. Total of 513 roles in anime and games.

Last edited by Kaoru Chujo; 2007-03-28 at 21:41.
Old 2007-03-28, 20:22   Link #189
Prince of Chronics
One Piece fan

I remember the licensing announcement for this show happening just after (like the same day) the first episode got released via fansubs.. that's a pretty long time ago

Anyways.. like most people, I felt the first episode was pretty good and entertaining.. but as I saw more episodes, I started to find the show really dull and boring.. perhaps, I should have watched more than 9 episodes.. but yeah, that's my view on Kurau.
Old 2007-03-29, 10:48   Link #190
chrno

Seems you understood how I felt too 'Kaoru Chujo'.

But you're right, in order to reach a wider audience "dub" is the way to go. I used to be one sided about that, but sort of accepted it. Only us "hardcore" won't except anything less. Hahaha! :lol:

But for me I just can't get into many dubs. I'm really not that biased, because I will watch some dubs when I have no choice. But I've spent many years watching anime "raw", fansubbed and subtitled. So I'm used to it. I guess because it's in a foreign language could be why. Being an English speaker anyway, I'm really not interested in hearing foreign features in English. I guess I'd prefer it that way. But then again this brings me back to those arguments about sub or dub. That it's just a feature. Like anything else the product itself is "universal" the only thing that changes is the track. But it always seem that when it comes to anime being dubbed you either like it or hate it. Or look at it as a big joke. But when it comes to regular shows made for an English speaking audience there's no problem. Ah who knows. But enough about that. That's a whole different "horse".

But yeah, I didn't like 'Kurau's voice. And I'm really afraid to hear the sister's voice. Considering that I've heard people complaining about her Japanese counterpart, because she sounded too squeaky or "shrill". I've heard worst.

I'm really glad that this series has FINALLY gotten released. Gee, took forever! I'll forgive you this time 'ADVfilms'.

I guess the only reason I was thinking like "slice-of-life" because of the drama. But maybe that might not be right. But somehow someone will toss it in "shoujo-ai". The closest feature that this relates to is 'Figure 17'. They're not identical in story, but they have similar elements.

Oh well. Can't wait to start picking this baby up.

Old 2007-03-29, 16:42   Link #191
DangerMouse

I've been waiting for too long to own this. I can't wait to be able to pick up volume 1.
Old 2007-04-02, 12:19   Link #192
darkchibi07

Send a message via AIM to darkchibi07 Send a message via MSN to darkchibi07
You know what the kicker is? The Japanese producers actually CHOSE Monica Rial to play Kurau for the English dub.

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/monica...s/message/8674

Of course there are rare moments where the Japanese does get involve with the English dub.
Old 2007-04-07, 00:48   Link #193
negativeone

OMFG i can't believe is over *cries*

i just finished watching all 24 episodes and i loved every single one of them, i am just speechless the only thing i can say is WOW. it was the most heartwarming story. after watching each episode i felt like telling my family that i love them and that i want to protected them no matter what, and i felt this funny feeling in my stomach. this is an anime i would like to own for sure so i can show it to my children. this anime is just brilliant and wonderful and it changed the way i am, i have never been touched by anything like i was moved by this anime it was just an excelent series, i wonder if i would find something like this again...

serously i can believe im saying this things i guess i'm really emotional lol
i want to see more *cries*
Old 2007-04-11, 13:07   Link #194
cmage

I got the first DVD yesterday and promptly watched all of it. It's wonderful! It made me feel warm inside~ Seems to me like this show is about the bonds between characters, with action thrown in to keep it interesting. I certainly hope it keeps this up, because so far I love it to pieces. It might be my favorite Bones show so far based on those four episodes, which is saying a lot.

I also love the music. I need to download the OST, but I've been listening to the OP and ED a lot. So calming...~
Old 2007-04-18, 13:18   Link #195
chrno

Quote:
Originally Posted by negativeone View Post
OMFG i can't believe is over *cries*

i just finished watching all 24 episodes and i loved every single one of them, i am just speechless the only thing i can say is WOW. it was the most heartwarming story.
Yep, actually do you feel satisfied with the ending? As there were many that had mixed feelings about how it ended. More than likely with viewers seeing it for the first time, I guess they'll decide when they complete it.

Old 2007-08-24, 21:40   Link #196
Fighter Volk
Thanks sakurabatou @ LJ

I just finished the series (I've had it on fansub for ages) today, and it was kinda shocking to reach the end (following the comments on this thread from those who followed the raws) and see just two or three disparaging comments about the ending and that's it. Even Yebyosh didn't comment... poor unappreciated series! I loved it myself, and I was content with the ending - I guess I was enjoying the series for different reasons than everyone else, as I thought a lot of it was really good. Everyone agrees that the early episodes were heartwarming and quite beautiful - I feel the same - and though yes, there were moments that the story got too repetitive or dragged a bit, there were many more that I found totally awesome. One of my favorite episodes is still the early one in which Kurau goes to that factory and it starts raining as she realizes she's surrounded by GPO troops, then with her escape and return to Christmas... Then the moon base infilitartion part was stellar, too. I *really* got into it by the end, and couldn't stop watching once the Yvone arc started (I think I watched 14-24 all today). The ending was wonderful, too.

I honestly think BONES did a great job here (and I guess this is appropriate seeing as I was actually the one who started this thread!). Too bad so few people agree with me.
Old 2007-08-25, 03:54   Link #197
wao
OK.

Well, after like 2 years or something I finally got around to watching this again, and currently I'm at episode 11. Is the rest worth watching? Does it get kinda draggy after this or am I already in the draggy part? I have to say that for me it's personally the Kurau-flying-around-and-being-cool bits that I like the most. I did like the feeling of the first few episodes but it's gotten kinda dragged down after that...

But I do want to see what happens in the end. So without spoiling me could anyone make some sort of guess as to whether someone like me could enjoy the final episodes? I kinda hope Christmas grows up a bit too. I don't know if I suck for liking Kurau more before Christmas came or what... but my favourite character now is probably Dag just because he's such a good guy.

EDIT: Never mind, I watched it till the end anyway. Gee, I dunno what to think. It was not that bad really. It wasn't bad enough that I had to stop watching it or cringed or anything... but nothing about it really inspired me in any way. Except the character designs, I admit I really do love the way everyone's drawn, it reminds me of Wings of Rean and Planetes... Still. A lot of the characters seemed just like they were acting out what is written in a script and somehow didn't feel very close to my heart - but that might just be me, I dunno - still, while I can live with it with some other shows, for a show that revolves around the very feelings of being human and of loving and protecting others I have to admit I came off with a big "so what?" at the end of it. At one point of time I was just getting tired of everyone saying the same thing over and over again without coming off as convincing enough for me...
...but I'll repeat myself (ironically) - maybe it's just me.

Last edited by wao; 2007-08-25 at 09:32.
Old 2007-08-25, 10:21   Link #198
Fighter Volk
Thanks sakurabatou @ LJ

Perhaps I should put these musings in spoiler tags. I've been away from these forums so long that I forgot they existed.

Spoiler:
Old 2007-08-25, 20:41   Link #199
wao
OK.

Oh yeah, I ahve to say that
Spoiler:
Old 2007-09-08, 21:17   Link #200
Proto
Knowledge is the solution

Really?

Spoiler for personal opinions:

Overall I quite liked it. Maybe enough for it to slip somewhere in my Top 20