AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired M-Z > Penguin Drum

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2011-07-23, 11:46   Link #601
Ronny

Ah yes definitely. Sho since episode 3 has now twice changed the subject whenever "mom" was brought up ('How did you know I was in the mood for curry?'). So there's a mystery there.. but what?
Old 2011-07-23, 12:12   Link #602
Flower
Blooming on the mountain

Location: Deep in their roots, all flowers keep the light....
Hmm ... saw episode 3 and will continue to watch. But it still remains strange - well, at least we know now where the trailer of the cat with fish and penguin collision from the trailers came from.
Old 2011-07-23, 14:57   Link #603
Kazu-kun

Quote:
Originally Posted by maplehurry View Post
Something being psychologically unhealthy is quite a trivial reason to want someone dead tbh...
Not at all. For instance, Utena was largely about growing out from psychologically unhealthy behaviours (and relationships). Besides, Himari is already dead, so...

Last edited by Kazu-kun; 2011-07-23 at 18:05.
Old 2011-07-23, 17:50   Link #604
sapphire-pyro
C.C. Loyalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vallen Chaos Valiant View Post
You have to remember, the show is intended to be watched only once a week.
I only watch it once a week, and it's already bothering me. So I think it doesn't have anything to do with how soon you get to see it again. It just depends on the person: some don't mind, but others do.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forsaken_Infinity View Post
Reusing the same scene over and over again is essentially reenforcing certain themes and feelings. So you're in tough luck if you dislike it. I for one find them amusing, especially with the subtle changes that occur on repeats.
Re-using is fine with me.... but to reuse in almost every episode, consecutively, is a little... ^^;
I do like those subtle changes... they were fun and... were changes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronny View Post
So anyways, first of all... we think Ringo -had- a sister.
That's an interesting theory. But for a sister to be left out on an important memory (when the whole family is having curry day) would be odd... so I guess it's safe to conclude that she's really an only child.

Quote:
Ah yes definitely. Sho since episode 3 has now twice changed the subject whenever "mom" was brought up
TWICE? When was the other one? I can't remember >_<
Old 2011-07-23, 18:02   Link #605
Kazu-kun

Quote:
Originally Posted by sapphire-pyro View Post
I only watch it once a week, and it's already bothering me. So I think it doesn't have anything to do with how soon you get to see it again. It just depends on the person: some don't mind, but others do.
It can get annoying, but this is Ikuhara we're talking about, so it can't be helped.

Quote:
so I guess it's safe to conclude that she's really an only child.
I wouldn't conclude that just yet.

Quote:
TWICE? When was the other one? I can't remember >_<
At the aquarium, he distracted Himari by buying her a gift.
Old 2011-07-23, 18:28   Link #606
Ronny

Quote:
That's an interesting theory. But for a sister to be left out on an important memory (when the whole family is having curry day) would be odd... so I guess it's safe to conclude that she's really an only child.
Well, like I said, this is assuming the sister died when Ringo was around 4 or younger (or before she was born) and thus has no proper memory of her.

But if we are to assume she died later, and there is indeed a sister, there's a theory that matches Ringo's craziness and lack in flashback: Ringo just pretends she didn't exist.
Considering the relationship the sister seems to have (doing things with mom, mom being super friendly to her boyfriend - curry day for her?), and Ringo now is basically alone... another theory can be that Ringo is following the diary to become her sister so her mom will be happy again and she can have a happy family > therefor she ignores the existence of a sister in flashbacks.

I know that's a bit out there, and I stick by the "she has no memory of it and found the diary thinking it was a Destiny!Mirai Nikki, but I figured I could offer another possibility. (as I'm gonna stick by the diary being someone else's, sorry :x )

Of course, a question now is: if Ringo is following her sister's footsteps, will Tabuki at one point realize the deja vu of it all?
Old 2011-07-23, 18:36   Link #607
Reckoner
Bittersweet Distractor

Something I caught on another forum.

Spoiler for picture for space:

Quote:
March 20th, 2006 - Oginome Ringo Family Apartment - Ringo Oginome 11 years old

March 20, 1995 - Sarin gas attack on the Tokyo subway
Hmm???
Old 2011-07-23, 18:53   Link #608
Ronny

Brilliant Reckoner. Guess that means the sister may have died..around the time Ringo was born.
Old 2011-07-23, 19:16   Link #609
Arabesque
Licensed Hunter-a-holic

@Reckoner

Nice catch. this was also one of the really early speculation early on from the thread that the Marunouchi station 1995 incident was related to the plot.

Going by Ronny's theory, I think I can see how this might tie in to the fate theme, but I'm far too sleepy to make a full post now ...

Not to mention I need to watch the episode again in the morning, but I've been skimming the thread a bit regardless and I have to say that I like Ronny's theory a lot.
Old 2011-07-23, 19:18   Link #610
sapphire-pyro
C.C. Loyalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kazu-kun View Post
At the aquarium, he distracted Himari by buying her a gift.
Ah! I remember now. Thanks!

Quote:
Well, like I said, this is assuming the sister died when Ringo was around 4 or younger (or before she was born) and thus has no proper memory of her.

But if we are to assume she died later, and there is indeed a sister, there's a theory that matches Ringo's craziness and lack in flashback: Ringo just pretends she didn't exist.
Oops, oh yeah >_<
Old 2011-07-23, 19:24   Link #611
Ronny

Speculation buddy: Having some fun here
Speculation buddy: March 20, 2006 - Ringo falls in love with Tabuki
Speculation buddy: Mirai Nikki manga - January 26, 2006 - December 27, 2010
Speculation buddy: Ringo read it~
Speculation buddy: Read the manga, found the diary
Speculation buddy: "omg it's a future diary"

More seriously: could we possibly, temporarily until the reveal, refer to Ringo's sister as Momo? I mean.. Ringo (apple) is the one with all the peach (momo) references :P
Old 2011-07-23, 19:53   Link #612
Faerie
Joseph Defense Squad

A (slightly silly) question: has anyone swapped the audio of the Survival strategy clip with the original ARB song yet? I've searched youtube, and I've seen the original vid in here. I'm curious =)

Knowing Utena, I have to agree the theory with the sister that Ringo just blends out of her memory seems really plausible :s

It's very reminiscent of how Utena characters just see the world they want to see...

Alright, Ringo is presented as totally messed up from the outset though
Old 2011-07-23, 19:55   Link #613
Kirarakim

Perhaps if the 1995 incident is relevant to the plot it also has something to do with what happened to Kan, Sho & Himari's parents
Old 2011-07-23, 19:58   Link #614
Ronny

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirarakim View Post
Perhaps if the 1995 incident is relevant to the plot it also has something to do with what happened to Kan, Sho & Himari's parents
Yea we were talking about that, but it wouldn't add up to their ages considering there's a picture of the whole family which shows a young Himari with her two older brothers (so Himari can't be a 18 to 20 year old loli). Unless time was stopped for a while at some point, but.. that wouldn't fit the show. So, something else happened.

Before I go to bed, one more diary thing we just talked about:

Buddy: I still think Kanba's driving force is break fate
Buddy: Which makes me wonder how he'll react to finding out about the "fate diary"
Buddy: He's going to burn the diary
Buddy: Look at the OP~
Me: Ringo in flames
Old 2011-07-23, 21:24   Link #615
maplehurry

Quote:
Not at all. For instance, Utena was largely about growing out from psychologically unhealthy behaviours (and relationships). Besides, Himari is already dead, so...
If they absolutely need Himari to "die again" to stop denying death, then their mental state is no better, it's still stuck in the "materialistic stage".
Old 2011-07-23, 21:30   Link #616
technomo12
Wise Otaku Seeker

Quote:
Speculation buddy: Having some fun here
Speculation buddy: March 20, 2006 - Ringo falls in love with Tabuki
Speculation buddy: Mirai Nikki manga - January 26, 2006 - December 27, 2010
Speculation buddy: Ringo read it~
Speculation buddy: Read the manga, found the diary
Speculation buddy: "omg it's a future diary"

More seriously: could we possibly, temporarily until the reveal, refer to Ringo's sister as Momo? I mean.. Ringo (apple) is the one with all the peach (momo) references :P
then what is the penguindrum???

is it the diary or somethingi inside her
Old 2011-07-23, 22:08   Link #617
ThereminVox
Guess what time it is?

The more we see of Ringo, the less I think the diary has anything to do with the penguindrum. As neat as would be if it predicted the future (think Early Edition) or can alter the future by writing in it, I'm starting to think Ringo's just unhinged, and is writing stuff she wants to happen, then trying to make them come true.

But but.... maybe that's what they want me to think...
*peers around, nervously*
Old 2011-07-23, 22:18   Link #618
technomo12
Wise Otaku Seeker

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThereminVox View Post
The more we see of Ringo, the less I think the diary has anything to do with the penguindrum. As neat as would be if it predicted the future (think Early Edition) or can alter the future by writing in it, I'm starting to think Ringo's just unhinged, and is writing stuff she wants to happen, then trying to make them come true.

But but.... maybe that's what they want me to think...
*peers around, nervously*

be careful dude you dont know who is around the next corner >_<

and its either the diary or the marker
Old 2011-07-24, 04:11   Link #619
Blaat

I don't think the penguindrum is anything as abstract as "it's the diary" it could be something the hat needs to pull out of a human (like what she did with Kanba in the first episode) but only when certain conditions are met.
Quote:
So me and a friend of mine watch this show together and go through lengthy speculation after every ep lol. It's just so much fun to have an original show where nobody knows yet what's happening so you can speculate (same with Madoka at the time, but I watched that after it finished airing).
Actually there is a novel based on this series and there are spoilers of said novel on the internet I believe they cover the first eight or nine episodes or so. I have to admit I've caved in and read them.
Old 2011-07-24, 06:10   Link #620
risingstar3110
✘˵╹◡╹˶✘

Firstly,onto the episode. Poor number 1 stuck in a mouse trap. Number 2 suffered too, but he should learn better at not being glutton, stealing all foods

Best two screen in this episode for me is:
  • The princess drink up milk, and you can see how proud she is for pulling such "genius" act
  • San-chan gulped down (and fighting) for the fish, i think i repeat the screen like 20 times

Quote:
Brilliant Reckoner. Guess that means the sister may have died..around the time Ringo was born.
Good theory you pulled up there Ronny. Your speculation is quite solid considering what were showed so far. Good job

On Penguin Drum, and considering the OP. I have a feeling that this anime will have quite a few different arcs, dealing with different characters one at a time.That means it is very likely that Ringo either don't have it,or the Penguin Drum is a group of quite abstract "objects" (a cursed item, a source of grief..... magical girls style)

I enjoy the repeating transformation sequence to say the truth. It has Utena wrtiting all over it

Tags
drama, ikuhara, penguin, stalking, supernatural, surrealism