AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Clannad

Notices

View Poll Results: Clannad ~After Story~ - Episode 11 Rating
Perfect 10 29 34.12%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 29 34.12%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 17 20.00%
7 out of 10 : Good 9 10.59%
6 out of 10 : Average 1 1.18%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 0 0%
4 out of 10 : Poor 0 0%
3 out of 10 : Bad 0 0%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 0 0%
Voters: 85. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 2008-12-13, 06:07   Link #41
Sheba
RUN, YOU FOOLS!

Location: Formerly Iwakawa base and Chaldea. Now Teyvat, the Astral Express & the Outpost
Quote:
Originally Posted by Master Chibi View Post

@ Sheba:

If Nagisa clocked Tomoya in the face for not showing up to the festival I would be crying tears of joy.

I am actually fucking sick and tired of this kind of cliche, not everyone act that way, not every anime girls had to be a cookie-cutter tsundere, not every relationship had to be cookie-cutter bickering followed by swooning.

Know what? Just give up on the series. It's clear that the series will never be up to YOUR expectations.
Old 2008-12-13, 06:22   Link #42
Vegard Aune

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheba View Post
I am actually fucking sick and tired of this kind of cliche, not everyone act that way, not every anime girls had to be a cookie-cutter tsundere, not every relationship had to be cookie-cutter bickering followed by swooning.
Hm, at first, my reaction to this was
Quote:
Nagisa, it's possible to be a bit too forgiving...
but you just made me realise that it was probably better this way. After all, I kinda hate that scenario you just mentioned.

Anyway, good episode, but I totally saw it coming that Tomoya wouldn't be able to go to the festival.
Old 2008-12-13, 06:30   Link #43
Sheba
RUN, YOU FOOLS!

Location: Formerly Iwakawa base and Chaldea. Now Teyvat, the Astral Express & the Outpost
From the way Nagisa was shown through the first season, I think it would have been sort of out of character if Nagisa was upset for that. When Nagisa had been shown to be upset, it was for Tomoya's sake. Should she have blamed Tomoya and his work? Perhaps, she had thought about the fact that Tomoya had yet to be well settled in his job, his main mean to support the soon-to-be-married couple, financial-wise. One should also think that it is a couple in its first steps, couples tends to be more forgiving in the starting stages than later on.

Realistic? Up to the viewer.
Old 2008-12-13, 06:39   Link #44
Ottocycle

Quote:
@ humbug:

Nah, I have people pushing me to keep watching because it'll apparently be worth it in the end, so I trust them.
In a very warped sense I get where they're coming from, having finished the source material. But to be honest, from your apparent hatred toward Nagisa at present I can infer it won't be worth the 24x20minutes. In fact I expect to see your long-ass TL;DR post wholly comprised of negative comments in the Overall Impressions thread coming up. If you manage to finish the series that is.

If you still choose to trust the people that you mentioned though, I won't interfere with that, but I'll tell you, the road ahead is long and arduous.
Old 2008-12-13, 06:46   Link #45
Haru~
My Lovely Bunny Chie

Quote:
I want Nagisa to show some honest to god emotion.
Honestly, what do you expect? Slap him in the face?
Quote:
Be a little selfish. Get a tiny bit mad. At this rate he could walk all over her and she'd still be that pure essence of happiness she's always been.
So you mean Nagisa should interfere with his work? With his growth as an adult?
Quote:
She's always felt like his damn cheerleader, and I fucking hate that.
Tomoya said without her support, he will crumble because of work.
Nagisa understood the situation
Quote:
This guy is growing up in front of you, hurry up and do the same woman!
That's why she's not interfering and she's supporting him and are you sure about the thing she didn't grow?
Quote:
And seriously, the highlight of this episode was him making a mistake at work?

That's it?
Seriously, it's all part of Tomoya's professionalism... His commitment to work. Commitment to change for his future.
Quote:
We've had cats in human bodies, people projecting themselves from their hospital bed, gang wars, ass kicking for more bonding, confusion in a gym equipment shack, a world wide traveled suitcase, and the best god damn thing they can come up with at is "Oops I goofed at work?" for this episode?

Ugh.
Better than someone watching a series he can't swallow to watch. Peace.
What did you expect in a slice of life genre? Eating monsters, draculas, super powers used to kill each other, robotics used in wars in whatever year?
Quote:
Nah, I have people pushing me to keep watching because it'll apparently be worth it in the end, so I trust them.
Apparently, the reason why you are disappointed is because all your expectations didn't match. Am I right? So it's pointless to watch even they recommend it, because you are expecting something else.
Quote:
If Nagisa clocked Tomoya in the face for not showing up to the festival I would be crying tears of joy.
See now you expected it, you were disappointed. And really, it's out of character for Nagisa if she did that. If you want that, go to Toradora, Shana or ZnT thread, you might get your expectations.
edited: Sorry if it's harsh.

Last edited by Haru~; 2008-12-13 at 07:21.
Old 2008-12-13, 08:07   Link #46
cbatty
Such is liff

Hmmm. If Clannad After Story is a bit too pedestrian for some, can I recommend they switch to another anime maybe ... hmm lets say School Days? Every character has a mobile phone in that series

I love this part of After Story. Not knowing what comes next as I haven't played the game, I can see that these slower paced episodes are building our knowledge of who the characters are. We can see them grow as people, in their responsibilites at work and school, and in their relationships with each other. I suspect this is building to something - not exactly sure what - and yes, the title of next weeks episode is a concern for me.

2 more cents from me... enjoy
Old 2008-12-13, 09:14   Link #47
SageGaiGar
You are Next

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbatty View Post
Hmmm. If Clannad After Story is a bit too pedestrian for some, can I recommend they switch to another anime maybe ... hmm lets say School Days? Every character has a mobile phone in that series

I love this part of After Story. Not knowing what comes next as I haven't played the game, I can see that these slower paced episodes are building our knowledge of who the characters are. We can see them grow as people, in their responsibilites at work and school, and in their relationships with each other. I suspect this is building to something - not exactly sure what - and yes, the title of next weeks episode is a concern for me.

2 more cents from me... enjoy
School days... total 180 from this series. (Though I haven't actually seen the series, I know enough)

Personally I'm loving this part of the series, though I can understand some of the complaints about Nagisa, from a dramatic point of view. If this were more comedy than drama than something more lively would be in order. However, it's going a lot more slice of life/drama so it makes a lot more sense for everything to be slower paced and relaxed.

Spoiler for Nagisa:

Last edited by Klashikari; 2008-12-13 at 09:34. Reason: future spoiler element removed from the spoiler tags
Old 2008-12-13, 10:19   Link #48
Bennyswan
Hmmm.....
*Artist

Just saw this episode....... 9/10

really good =]
Old 2008-12-13, 10:27   Link #49
Kristen
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeoTwister5 View Post
I personally don't agree that SEEN 6800 was pointless. I mean you need to contrast the fact that Tomoya decided to fix the wiring he messed up with on the same day he promised to go with Nagisa on Founder's Day. The Tomoya of old would have either bummed around somewhere or run away from the house. Here he knew he had a greater responsibility than his own personal pleasure, and he trusted Nagisa enough to understand, and understand she did. It takes someone with balls and sense of purpose to grow up that fast and take responsibility for one's mistakes.

That's a great leap of faith for Nagisa and a great leap of maturity for Tomoya.

This is why I love them both.

Also, I'm almost pretty sure that the construction site that Nagisa passed by is what I think it is but I won't say for spoiler's sake, but wasn't it supposed to be somwhere else, like a little ways outside town? I'm sure it wasn't on the hill to school.

Edit - And I don't care what the title of the next episode suggests. My Clannad sense is telling me a kiss is coming up...
6800 was not pointless. 6800/0, in my opinion, was just boring. I did not like playing that for 2 hours or whatever. I was just like "Why play something I could experience by just quitting college?". The rest of 6800 was amazing, but I hated 6800/0.
Old 2008-12-13, 10:29   Link #50
Master Chibi
.: A bad doggy :.

Ok guys, I know you probably think I'm sitting on the other side of the monitor here tapping my fingers together muttering 'Excellent' to myself like I'm Mr. Burns, but I'm not.

It's just as 'cookie cutter' as shit like Naru and Keitaro are, well Nagisa doesn't come off as a wholly unique individual either. Yeah, I don't like her. At all. I still think she's the weakest link of the entire show, even when she's supposed to be the complete opposite.

But I do like Tomoya, so I'm going to keep watching.

So as a word to the wise you don't need to quote every line I say individually in an attempt to sort me out, because I know what you guys are getting at.

Trust me.

;p

Updated once a week - http://pishi.wordpress.com/
Last updated - 5/30/10 - Random Manga Roulette!
Old 2008-12-13, 11:27   Link #51
phishn37
Time to fly ~ !

I think Nagisa is a bit too forgiving. She seems like she's afraid to expect anything from Tomoya. Maybe in the next few episodes he'll prove her wrong.

But, anyway, episode 11 was another great episode, although the fighting scene was kind of crappy looking. It may not be perfect, but its miles better than the dribbley moe crap up to episode 9, so I'll take it anyday.

9/10
Old 2008-12-13, 11:28   Link #52
Nochgo
iceman
*Scanlator

Quote:
Ok guys, I know you probably think I'm sitting on the other side of the monitor here tapping my fingers together muttering 'Excellent' to myself like I'm Mr. Burns, but I'm not.

It's just as 'cookie cutter' as shit like Naru and Keitaro are, well Nagisa doesn't come off as a wholly unique individual either. Yeah, I don't like her. At all. I still think she's the weakest link of the entire show, even when she's supposed to be the complete opposite.

So as a word to the wise you don't need to quote every line I say individually in an attempt to sort me out, because I know what you guys are getting at.

Trust me.

;p
Then stop posting things that will get people to quote every single line you post in attempt to prove your statements wrong. Its annoying and getting old, frankly. You are in a forum where people really enjoy this anime, so you should expect to be retorted. It is like saying, 'abortion should be legal' in a forum for pro-life group. But I guess in the end, it is still your choice to voice your opinion. Just expect this to happen again if you deprecate the series.

Getting back on to the series, I finally saw the preview cause I forgot. Yoshino's last line... it seems like there will be some complications coming up between Tomoya and Nagisa. Ugh, the 'Damn it, another week of waiting!!!' syndrome I had watching first season of Clannad is coming back.
Old 2008-12-13, 11:36   Link #53
kyon.haruhi.suzumiya

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nochgo View Post
T
Getting back on to the series, I finally saw the preview cause I forgot. Yoshino's last line... it seems like there will be some complications coming up between Tomoya and Nagisa. Ugh, the 'Damn it, another week of waiting!!!' syndrome I had watching first season of Clannad is coming back.
Same here. it always gets better with Kyoani.
Old 2008-12-13, 11:37   Link #54
Proto
Knowledge is the solution

Quote:
Be a little selfish. Get a tiny bit mad. At this rate he could walk all over her and she'd still be that pure essence of happiness she's always been.
Just for the record, I actually though the same myself while watching this. It's not like you can't reach a middle point where you can be understanding and at the same point getting your point across. But aw well, it should be compensated later on I hope.

Anyway, I think that you would enjoy this series if you watched it in just a few sits when it finishes airing, rather than following it week to week.
Old 2008-12-13, 11:43   Link #55
Haru~
My Lovely Bunny Chie

Nobody's thinking that you were Mr. Burns. I think. Trust me too.

Quote:
Yeah, I don't like her. At all. I still think she's the weakest link of the entire show, even when she's supposed to be the complete opposite.
You said the reason why she's the weakest link for you. Even though she changed.

Quote:
Really now, unexpected to hear after you just said this episode
Quote:
And seriously, the highlight of this episode was him making a mistake at work?That's it?
You ignore Tomoya's hard work.

Quote:
It's fun doing this and I appreciate that you called me wise though I'm really not. And no, I'm not trying to kick you out, I'm advising you, recommending you another series, because I read your disappointments in the story particularly the lead Nagisa.
Trust me too.
Old 2008-12-13, 12:19   Link #56
SageGaiGar
You are Next

Quote:

Trust me.

;p
I can understand your feelings about Nagisa as a character. I kind of felt she was too typical of ye olde standard female heroine, nothing new and kind of 'meh'. For me though, I did start liking the theatre aspect from last season, maybe cause I've worked backstage a little. Almost wished that was brought out more. It made her more unique. Her persona hasn't really been that strong so it's difficult to get excited.. does that make sense? Yet, slowly over the last season I did start to appreciate the character a little more. Still not my favorite but her development (however faint) was interesting.

Just curious though, Chibi, who did you like better? (among the cast)
Old 2008-12-13, 13:41   Link #57
Kinny Riddle
Gone for Good

For f*ck's sake Master Chibi, we're getting sick of tired of you coming in and dissing every aspect of Nagisa's character every week solely based on the fact that your Kyou did not win Tomoya's heart way back in episode 18 of series 1, and nothing else.

Of course you're entitled to your opinion, but as Nochgo says, when everyone is enjoying how good the story is, and you come in and sing the opposite solely because of your near irrational dislike for Nagisa, then you can't really complain about everyone else having a go at you.

My advice, give it up before you get disappointed further. This is Clannad, not School Days.

To be fair, when playing the School Life story in the game, compared to the other girls, (Kyou with her flying dictionaries, Tomoyo with her insane skills, Kotomi with her scissors, Yukine with her magic charms, and of course, Fuuko and everything related to her starfishes), Nagisa seemed rather "bland" in comparison.

But I don't know whether scenario writer Maeda Jun was intentional in having Nagisa being "bland" in School Life, once After Story comes in, I really saw Nagisa in a different light, and I grew to like her personality even more, especially her incredible strength in facing the audacity, just like how she was gracefully forgiving, rather than, as Chibi suggests, being shallow and slapping Tomoya right there and then.
Old 2008-12-13, 13:55   Link #58
Proto
Knowledge is the solution

It helps to give a little more spice to the thread. It is thanks to people like him that this doesn't become an exchange of what minute we liked the most, so his participation is welcomed in my opinion.
Old 2008-12-13, 14:59   Link #59
Kristen
*Author

Nagisa is a fairly static character, but in ways, that is what makes her so amazing. She is accepting of Tomoya regardless of his flaws, she always tries to put on a smile regardless of what happens in her life, and she always fights, even when she has no hope left. If she got angry at Tomoya for not arriving, then her character would've been severely damaged. Instead of being an amazing person with unconditional love, she'd be your plain old high school teenager.

Some people read this as weakness or stupidity, but I see it as a statement of how much she loves Tomoya.
Old 2008-12-13, 15:16   Link #60
Lyrical Flandre
Sorry for my poor English

Watching at the name plate of Tomoya carefully,
I found it brighter than other plates.
that means the new plate was prepared for Tomoya ,and
he has been accepted as a new colleague, you know.
I'm pleased to find that Kyoto-Animation describes brief scenes elaborately.
Closed Thread