AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Fullmetal Alchemist

Notices

View Poll Results: Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood - Episode 1 Rating
Perfect 10 69 24.38%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 93 32.86%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 56 19.79%
7 out of 10 : Good 39 13.78%
6 out of 10 : Average 11 3.89%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 3 1.06%
4 out of 10 : Poor 2 0.71%
3 out of 10 : Bad 1 0.35%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 1 0.35%
1 out of 10 : Painful 8 2.83%
Voters: 283. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 2009-04-08, 18:19   Link #301
phishn37
Time to fly ~ !

Just watched it! I think its good! I've not been too into anime the last few months, but this show pulled me right back in.

I like the slightly updated animation style and character designs without straying too much from what I remember about FMA 1. OP is good, not what I expected, but I think it will grow on me.

That fight scene in the start got me going... like, finally, it's really here! FULLMETAL NUMBER 2! The Armstrong-Isaac fight was nice too.

Um, too many short jokes. But Ed's persona is spot on!

I keep getting confused... since I've barely read the manga, and it was like Maes! Wait, he dead... but not dead here? Ah, confusing...!

LOVE the OP animation!

Overall... pretty traumatic first episode. 8/10.
Old 2009-04-08, 19:05   Link #302
WanderingKnight
Gregory House
*IT Support

Send a message via MSN to WanderingKnight
Quote:
Certainly not all of them, but a lot of shows do. I can't really say there is something special with Bones' OPs in the end.
Because Bones' openings are consistently good. I didn't rule out the possibility of other studios making a good opening, as I wouldn't rule out the possibility of Studio DEEN making a masterpiece anime (and lo and behold, they gave us Simoun, a masterpiece in its own right), but I still wouldn't consider it a great studio.

Place them in a box until a quieter time | Lights down, you up and die.
Old 2009-04-08, 19:41   Link #303
kitten320

Quote:
Originally Posted by phishn37 View Post
Just watched it! I think its good! I've not been too into anime the last few months, but this show pulled me right back in.

I like the slightly updated animation style and character designs without straying too much from what I remember about FMA 1. OP is good, not what I expected, but I think it will grow on me.

That fight scene in the start got me going... like, finally, it's really here! FULLMETAL NUMBER 2! The Armstrong-Isaac fight was nice too.

Um, too many short jokes. But Ed's persona is spot on!

I keep getting confused... since I've barely read the manga, and it was like Maes! Wait, he dead... but not dead here? Ah, confusing...!

LOVE the OP animation!

Overall... pretty traumatic first episode. 8/10.
If I don't mistake they are going to fully re-do the series. this time they will follow the manga
Old 2009-04-08, 23:17   Link #304
Revolutionist
Puppet Master

As someone new to the series, I have to say this first episode caught my attention. It's definitely a better start than what I originally saw way back when. I watched the first episode of the first anime adaptation and it just wasn't very interesting, probably because it started out kinda slow...Overall pretty good episode.
Old 2009-04-08, 23:22   Link #305
Raiga
tl;dr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nosauz View Post
Compared to stuff that gainax does? Eva? The music does not even reflect the dark undertones of the show, though they did improve MASSIVELY with Sorario Days in TTGL
If you're talking about clashes like the Hallelujah chorus during Asuka's mindrape, those were all intentional... sorta like audio irony, I guess. Except not exactly. As for Zankoku na Tenshi no Thesis, the lyrics do relate to the themes in the show... especially the full version.

... er, say something relevant, say something relevant...

Well I'm not done with the first series yet (almost! Six more to go, plus the movie!) but I'll be watching this anyway. Thought this ep was a pretty good way to reintroduce most of the main charas, updated animation is FTW, and... yeah, nice to see more FMA!

Also Hughes. That is all.
Old 2009-04-08, 23:59   Link #306
Blank-Mage
Maniacal laughter ensues.

I'm not making any bets, but this seems a bit darker than season one was. And although it's sticking closer to the manga, it's already picked a new arc over "To Challange the Sun" from volume one. So, at this point, season one was more accurate, correct? I wonder, what's the plan here? Not that I'm complaining, the animation is almost movie-quality, and we have all our favorite characters back. (No, Hughes death didn't overly affect me, why would you think that, that's ridiculous, never call here again.) Oh, and 'Again' claims my #2 favorite opening, after Spice and Wolf. (Sorry, Fate Stay/Night. You're 3rd now.)

(Hi, by the way. You're all likely to be seeing alot more of me from here on out.)
Old 2009-04-09, 00:15   Link #307
Yokai

I am certainly a fan of this series, and I will continue watching. However, I feel mixed about the episode itself.

I feel like they made this episode to replace the episode in the first FMA series, and I don't think it does. I feel like alchemy hasn't been explained very well in this first episode, in comparison to the other. The situation where Al fixes the clock explains the fictional alchemy that is in the show, and also gives a brief background of equivalent exchange.

The action in this episode was amazing though, every scene was directed extremely well, and every animation is clear and crisp, which reminds me how I felt about Gurren Lagann when I first saw that show. It definitely looks more modern than many of the other shows I've been seeing as of late, and does a good job standing out in terms of animation quality.

I don't know, I will continue to watch, My biggest problem is that I feel as though I really DONT want to rewatch the same scenarios that took place in the first anime, so the first few episodes I feel will be more chore than enjoyment. However, with the way it is looking thus far, it is turning out to be enjoyable even though it is still partially predictable.

As for the Bones vs Gainax discussion: These are both my favorite animation studios and I feel as though these are probably the best animation studios IN THE WORLD. So, both of them are great really. I don't feel as though the music in bones series are poor, I liked the OST to both Eureka Seven AND FMA. However, Gainax deserves credit for some wonderful scores. While Sorairo Daizu is a good song in terms of J-Pop, it doesn't even compare to the scores and renditions of jazz standards that are present in those Gainax productions such as EVA and TTGL. To say that Sorairo Daizu is a song that should represent the musical evolution of Gainax seems off. Obviously you haven't downloaded the OST if you feel that is the best song Gainax has in their anime series lineup. [ /rant ]

Both are good companies, don't get me wrong. But Gainax does deserve some credit for some of their great OSTs.
Old 2009-04-09, 00:22   Link #308
Blank-Mage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yokai View Post
I feel like they made this episode to replace the episode in the first FMA series, and I don't think it does. I feel like alchemy hasn't been explained very well in this first episode, in comparison to the other. The situation where Al fixes the clock explains the fictional alchemy that is in the show, and also gives a brief background of equivalent exchange. .
Well, keep in mind that the next episode is "The Day It Began", so I expect we'll get our crash course in alchemy then. Besides, although it's a reboot, it's still season two, so they may not feel the need to recap as much.
Old 2009-04-09, 02:58   Link #309
SnackPacs
As Expected of 2chan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blank-Mage View Post
Well, keep in mind that the next episode is "The Day It Began", so I expect we'll get our crash course in alchemy then. Besides, although it's a reboot, it's still season two, so they may not feel the need to recap as much.
This thought came to mind for me.

I mean, sure it's not a direct second season but... It is a 'second season' of sorts (KEYWORD THERE IS SORTS) and so, they are probably more people checking this out as fans of either the manga or first anime, so most probably know what to expect.

Is it the best introduction styled episode? Oh god no, this episode did have its flaws and definitely bled of the cliched 'standard episode 1' occurences, what with one shot characters and a conclusion of said short conflict within the first episode and minor foreshadowing or small/meaningless cliffhanger in the form of a separate scene featuring a villain/antagonist.

I was more interested in the preview following this episode's conclusion without a doubt. I look forward to the 'reworking' of the backstory introduction episodes and hope they're a little bit more... interesting than the basic way it was handled in cour 1.
Old 2009-04-09, 06:22   Link #310
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

Quote:
That's the thing, it's not a second season. The label 'second season' appeared when it was announced that another anime adaptation would take place, though was then destroyed when the news was released that it's a retelling of the story, sticking closer to the source material.
Old 2009-04-09, 07:40   Link #311
Nosauz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raiga View Post
If you're talking about clashes like the Hallelujah chorus during Asuka's mindrape, those were all intentional... sorta like audio irony, I guess. Except not exactly. As for Zankoku na Tenshi no Thesis, the lyrics do relate to the themes in the show... especially the full version.

... er, say something relevant, say something relevant...

Well I'm not done with the first series yet (almost! Six more to go, plus the movie!) but I'll be watching this anyway. Thought this ep was a pretty good way to reintroduce most of the main charas, updated animation is FTW, and... yeah, nice to see more FMA!

Also Hughes. That is all.
The lyrics make sense, but the whole melodic choice for the song don't generate teh dark themes of the show. Now when you look at the op of Rahxephon, I hate the song, but it really fits with the show, the whole idea that music is a key instrument is made pretty clear from the op. But I still think the best op/ed that really describes a serious is Samurai Champloo
Old 2009-04-09, 08:33   Link #312
MafiaSoldier
Member of the Anime Mafia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiroth View Post
That's the thing, it's not a second season. The label 'second season' appeared when it was announced that another anime adaptation would take place, though was then destroyed when the news was released that it's a retelling of the story, sticking closer to the source material.
This is true. A "second season" would imply that new stories are being told, this is more of a rehash, or a reimaging to comply more closely with the manga.
Old 2009-04-09, 11:07   Link #313
Blank-Mage

Wait, Evangelion? What just happened?
Old 2009-04-09, 13:54   Link #314
Tofusensei

Send a message via AIM to Tofusensei
Hmm... Funi's servers seem to be pretty overloaded. Having some pretty major buffering issues even on FIOS :/

-Tofu
Old 2009-04-09, 14:05   Link #315
Fishman

Quote:
Wait, Evangelion? What just happened?
Bad show happened.
Old 2009-04-09, 15:00   Link #316
kitten320

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yokai View Post
I am certainly a fan of this series, and I will continue watching. However, I feel mixed about the episode itself.

I feel like they made this episode to replace the episode in the first FMA series, and I don't think it does. I feel like alchemy hasn't been explained very well in this first episode, in comparison to the other. The situation where Al fixes the clock explains the fictional alchemy that is in the show, and also gives a brief background of equivalent exchange.
One of the reasons could be that we already know about Alchemy from old season

Even though this episode was good, somahow first seeason interested me more
Old 2009-04-09, 17:46   Link #317
Ushio
Rise and Fall.

Oh, awesome. I didn't even realize there was going to be a remake of this anime until today. It was great. Roy screen time = fangirling.
Old 2009-04-09, 18:38   Link #318
kitten320

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ushio View Post
Oh, awesome. I didn't even realize there was going to be a remake of this anime until today. It was great. Roy screen time = fangirling.
I loled when he came all wet and was screaming like mad
Riza with suitcase full of gloves only added to my laughter
Old 2009-04-09, 19:41   Link #319
Inverse

Send a message via AIM to Inverse
I haven't been following the manga, but I was pleasantly surprised with this episode. Now I'm curious to see where this is going.
Old 2009-04-09, 22:42   Link #320
Blank-Mage

Quote:
Originally Posted by kitten320 View Post
I loled when he came all wet and was screaming like mad
Riza with suitcase full of gloves only added to my laughter
Yeah, I didn't think we saw enough of Riza in the first series, I get the feeling that won't be a problem this time around. More Hawkeye FTW!