AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Current Series > One Piece

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2012-04-12, 15:12   Link #61
Talendra

Buggy the Clown would like to have a word with you on that one ;-)

In all seriousness tho, while that certainly isn't the standard, there are quite a few examples of this in One Piece, may be an interesting hint; maybe it isn't; in any case, speculating about it is more productive than stating how insignificant the name of a character is.
Old 2012-04-12, 16:02   Link #62
Slayerx

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitemoon648 View Post
I am confused of heart transfers at the moment. Mainly the Smoker/Tashigi one.

Didn't Law take a way Smoker's heart? So is it safe to assume Law transferred Tashigi's heart to Smoker?

Can some one explain it to me ?

Does any one else think maybe law and Rayleigh are related? Like blood related or at least have some history with each other.
The heart transfer was not a literally one, its just merely a representation of the mind/body swap... Basically Tashagi's mind is now inside's smoker's body, but smoker's body is still missing its actual physical heart. Meanwhile Smoker's mind is in tashagi's body. Same goes for all the strawhats; they did not literally switch hearts, it was just used to represent their minds and bodies switching around.
Old 2012-04-12, 17:14   Link #63
paradox13
zzz

Send a message via MSN to paradox13
Quote:
Does any one else think maybe law and Rayleigh are related? Like blood related or at least have some history with each other.
I think Law bears more of a resemblance to Broggy
Old 2012-04-12, 17:55   Link #64
cj1277

[/QUOTE]If we follow that train of thought, Was he blackmailed into becoming a shichibukai as well? It just doesn't feel like something Law would do. He's always seemed very independent in his motivations. Though we know little of him to be sure.[/QUOTE]

To be blackmailed by CC and the shichibukai ranking have a different connection for me. While the shichibukai title fits Law's personality to give him a bit more free reign as a pirate, instead of being blackmailed into becoming one by CC because CC wanted him too its more likely that he was targeted by CC for blackmail because he had the title in the first place.
Of course this is all assuming its blackmail in the first place, which is likely but still speculation.
Old 2012-04-12, 19:04   Link #65
Blackbeard D. Kuma

Quote:
Originally Posted by paradox13 View Post
A name does not describe someone's character..
In this particular case, it does. Sometimes a moniker/name/epithet may describe (to varying degrees) someone's character or provide an indication as to what they're like in terms of physical appearance, personality, special abilities, etc.
Old 2012-04-12, 20:50   Link #66
aohige
( ಠ_ಠ)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackbeard D. Kuma View Post
You say クラウン is usually crown. Usually means most but not all of the time. That being said, in what instance(s) does クラウン not mean crown?
When it's actually a name.
You don't translate names.

You don't see Kims going around as Gold, or Mr Hayashi going around as Forrest.

So if a character had the last name of Clown, it'd be spelled the same as Crown.
Old 2012-04-12, 21:53   Link #67
paradox13
zzz

Quote:
Sometimes a moniker/name/epithet may describe (to varying degrees) someone's character or provide an indication as to what they're like in terms of physical appearance, personality, special abilities, etc.
Sometimes but not all the time. Besides it doesn't matter one way or another.. it is Oda's character, what you want won't change what it will be.

So why not just put this pointless debate aside?
Old 2012-04-12, 22:10   Link #68
Blackbeard D. Kuma

Quote:
Originally Posted by paradox13 View Post
So why not just put this pointless debate aside?
This isn't a debate (not to me, at least). I'm just being inquisitive about the nuances of the Japanese language. Nothing wrong with that.
Old 2012-04-13, 00:50   Link #69
aimboy234
Proud Filipino

As stated above, names in some cases describe their personality. And as we know Oda have some weird taste in naming his character and the strangest one to date is Moc Donald. Too bad he didnt accept Luffy's invitation to join SH.
Speaking of new nakama, the samurai seems like an interesting one, cool DF power and comedic prowess.
Old 2012-04-13, 01:04   Link #70
aimboy234
Proud Filipino

Some names translation also act as an in-joke in One Piece. Like the now tall Saldeath, in the anime he introduce himself as Saru-Desu, which translate to english as "Im a Monkey", which annoys Saldeath because he hates being called a monkey.
Old 2012-04-13, 08:26   Link #71
Divine Punisher

Send a message via MSN to Divine Punisher
keeping my fingers crossed for zoro vs. law.
Old 2012-04-13, 09:41   Link #72
marvelB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poetic Justice View Post
According to the One piece wiki, It's stated in data book green that he's dead.

http://onepiece.wikia.com/wiki/Sabo#cite_note-Death2-1

Honestly, I'd take most info posted on the OP wiki with a grain of salt. That being said, even if it was true that the book stated such info, it doesn't necessarily have to be concrete. Most of us already agree that Sabo's "death" scene was presented too ambiguously as it is.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poetic Justice View Post
If we follow that train of thought, Was he blackmailed into becoming a shichibukai as well? It just doesn't feel like something Law would do. He's always seemed very independent in his motivations. Though we know little of him to be sure.

Mind you, there could be a number of ways that CC could grab hold of Law by the balls (like threatening to reveal his secret past to the world, holding someone dear to him outside of his crew hostage, etc.). Guessing any further than that would basically be going straight into fanfic territory, but I think you get my point. And as I already said, his words to Luffy seemed to imply that he wasn't helping CC of his own volition. That being said, I see no reason why Luffy (or any of the Straw-Hats for that matter) should fight him now.....
Old 2012-04-13, 10:51   Link #73
randomlex
In the eye of the storm

Quote:
Originally Posted by marvelB View Post
Mind you, there could be a number of ways that CC could grab hold of Law by the balls (like threatening to reveal his secret past to the world, holding someone dear to him outside of his crew hostage, etc.). Guessing any further than that would basically be going straight into fanfic territory, but I think you get my point. And as I already said, his words to Luffy seemed to imply that he wasn't helping CC of his own volition. That being said, I see no reason why Luffy (or any of the Straw-Hats for that matter) should fight him now.....
Actually, the way I understand it, Law meant he wants the kids back, while Luffy would want his crew back to normal, that's why they'll meet again.

But it's weird that Law's crew is nowhere to be seen, maybe CC has them under lock down or they've been poisoned by some marines (hence Law asking Smoker what they're planning) and Law has to work with CC for that reason ... Lots of ways this could turn out, the Punk Hazard arc is really interesting
Old 2012-04-14, 05:51   Link #74
Undertaker

At very least, it seem that currently Law and Luffy are not in conflict with each other otherwise Law would've attack him then..
Old 2012-04-14, 10:17   Link #75
SMASHERJACKSON

Quote:
Originally Posted by marvelB View Post
Honestly, I'd take most info posted on the OP wiki with a grain of salt. That being said, even if it was true that the book stated such info, it doesn't necessarily have to be concrete. Most of us already agree that Sabo's "death" scene was presented too ambiguously as it is.....
Agree with sabo's "death", Oda isnt a careless enough author to do such framing by accident - speaking of which, i rewatched the gold roger execution from ep 0 and noticed all of the ppl attending it have thier faces shown except for Sir Croc - leading me to believe his past involved him being a woman and suffering some trauma to cause him to seek ivankov to make him into a man.
Old 2012-04-14, 10:45   Link #76
paradox13
zzz

Quote:
speaking of which, i rewatched the gold roger execution from ep 0 and noticed all of the ppl attending it have thier faces shown except for Sir Croc - leading me to believe his past involved him being a woman and suffering some trauma to cause him to seek ivankov to make him into a man.
Lol this again
Old 2012-04-14, 20:31   Link #77
bonsobon

Anyone else wondering why Law decided to do the Smoker/Tashigi mind swap? What was the point of it all? Smoker was down and out yet Law for some reason decided to bring him back into the game, so to speak. Doesn't make much sense considering what happened last chapter during their fight.
Old 2012-04-14, 21:37   Link #78
Mateus

Quote:
Originally Posted by bonsobon View Post
Anyone else wondering why Law decided to do the Smoker/Tashigi mind swap? What was the point of it all? Smoker was down and out yet Law for some reason decided to bring him back into the game, so to speak. Doesn't make much sense considering what happened last chapter during their fight.
Well Tashigi was cut in half but I guess she put herself together which is why Law switched places with each other. I suppose Law could have just as easily mind-swapped Tashigi with some canon fodder Marine, but for story purposes it makes more sense that she was swapped with Smoker.
Old 2012-04-14, 23:31   Link #79
Slayerx

Quote:
Given that both smoker and Tashigi were awake at the end of the chapter, we can assume that smoker was not out. "Mes" managed to KO him but it was nothing he could not recover from with some time. Smoker was bound to wake up eventually so Law made certain he would not be less of a problem when he woke up by having him and Tashigi to switch places.
Old 2012-04-15, 05:28   Link #80
grey_1960
Annie Leonhart

Quote:
Opinion
I think Law needs Smoker and the Straw hats. Law did not have to switch bodies at all on Smoker and Tashigi. He could have killed Smoker on the spot. Law talked about getting something back. So something must have been taken from him by force. If that is true then Law will have to ally himself with Smoker and Luffy. This may also mean that the Shichibukai title and the alliance with Ceaser Crown was not voluntary. People have mentioned about stuff like this and Law's character not fitting with the Shichibukai title. There may be a bigger enemy to contend to in this arch. Switching the bodies on Smoker's team and Luffy's team guarantees (if the technique can only be undone by the user) that Smoker and Luffy will have to return to Law. Smoker is in worse shape then the Straw Hats, Law has his heart. I wonder if Law will resign at the end of this arch from the Shichibukai title once he gets what he wants?
Closed Thread