AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Sword Art Online > Past SAO Anime

Notices

View Poll Results: Sword Art Online - Episode 22 Rating
10 out of 10 : Near Perfect... 71 47.97%
9 out of 10 : Excellent... 39 26.35%
8 out of 10 : Very Good... 18 12.16%
7 out of 10 : Good... 9 6.08%
6 out of 10 : Average... 2 1.35%
5 out of 10 : Below Average... 1 0.68%
4 out of 10 : Poor... 3 2.03%
3 out of 10 : Bad... 2 1.35%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad... 1 0.68%
1 out of 10 : Torturous... 2 1.35%
Voters: 148. You may not vote on this poll

Old 2012-12-01, 19:42   Link #81
NoemiChan
Banned

Send a message via Yahoo to NoemiChan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oroboro View Post
Kirito has always been a loner... and though he learned to work together with Asuna, it seems he's never really taken the lesson to heart.
People do crazy things when they're in love... the more that Asuna is still in game and near his reach...

Last edited by NoemiChan; 2012-12-01 at 20:22.
NoemiChan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-12-01, 20:19   Link #82
Lender

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Casey View Post
Just read the first page so far, but wow that's a whole lot of griping

I don't think I'll ever understand why people get so butthurt over the things that they do. I'm not sure why the occasional tragic love story is such an awful thing.
Well...if you give a look at the others discussion posts about SAO episodes you will find out that the ones with a lot of complains are "almost" always the same people, a fast look at the poll votes is a better way to know peoples opinion about the episode.
Lender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-12-01, 20:29   Link #83
dmaxzero

Loved the fight, the drama didnt bother me...

I can say now what has been bothering me since the start of ALO... the way the emotions are invested in the game avatars.

In SAO was understandable because they didnt have a real counterpart and being killed meant death. So real life limits are applied. But here is not he case and I find utterly ridiculous how Kazuto spout those heroic dialogues and philosophical rebouts.

In the LN wasnt a problem, I do wonder if the media change is that drastic.
dmaxzero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-12-01, 20:32   Link #84
Green²
It's bacon!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GenjiChan View Post
Eh? Huh? This is ALO and not SAO right?
Spoiler for speculation:
Green² is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-12-01, 20:33   Link #85
NoemiChan
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Green² View Post
Spoiler for speculation:
Actually, its the calling ALO a death game that bother me...
Old 2012-12-01, 20:37   Link #86
relentlessflame

*Administrator

Well, regarding the way this failed romance played out, it's probably worth saying that -- given that the path was clear for a long time now -- people's opinions about this plot thread have indeed been rather clear for a while now. Indeed, nothing I'm saying or nothing Klashikari is saying or anyone else is really all that different from how we've been approaching it all along, because this was the foregone conclusion. This is just like how, at the end of this arc, I'm sure many people will reiterate their views about the villain when he finally gets defeated.

At the end of the day, it really comes down to your expectations about the show, and what it is that you were hoping for from it. (Or as the case may be, what you enjoyed from the first arc.) There is certainly a group of fans who enjoyed the SAO arc for the sense of tension that the "life and death" situation created. Transitioning to another game where death isn't a present threat with an obviously-doomed romance and an obviously-doomed comical villain is a bit of a culture shock if what attracted you was that sort of "tension". Obviously, you can tell by my posts that this wasn't a factor that personally was key to my own enjoyment, so even though I recognize the "obviousness" of the plot developments, it doesn't deter from my own enjoyment. Indeed, I thought the way this episode played out was quite good in my view. The emotions in the last scene were really intense, even though we all saw it coming.

I think most of the complaints are less about this episode itself, but more about the plot thread on the whole that came to a head here in this episode. And so that's why you'll see opinions generally carried over from week-to-week. This week was just a natural climax to something set in motion many episodes ago.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klashikari View Post
The problem is exactly as you describe though: Suguha is set as a plot device and not a character on her own: she could be any possible cliché such like the girl nextdoor and her relevancy would be close to null. Instead of being a "complete" character, with her own actions to take regardless of "ALO Kirito existence", she is there just so Kazuto goes through ALO with a "little twist". In fact, her role is slightly better than the likes of Liz...
Eh, I wouldn't go quite that far. While her role as a plot device is key, I thought they actually did a pretty good job of developing her even beyond that. There is actually more to her than just her failed romance, and even that was a lot more convincingly-portrayed. I think there is a place for her going forward.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klashikari View Post
If you were to remove the romance aspect, the ALO arc wouldn't be hurt by the slighest: it would actually be possible to have more IRL/in game exposition, than really a focused duo, whereas one is basically going for a dead end.

If the point was to only bring a focus on Kazuto dead set in rescuing Asuna, they could definitely work with Suguha as a true sibling like I mentioned before. Heck, I think Suguha being in love with Kazuto is even less relevant than her being his sister.
I suppose you could do this, but I liked this doomed romance angle to the story, even though it was rather obvious. I think it has value on its own merits, and itself drives and carries the plot. The alternate way you would like the story to be presented is interesting... but hard for me to say if I would enjoy it more. Again, my premise is that just knowing where the plot is heading doesn't negate my enjoyment in the journey. If that weren't the case, I would have given up on anime a long time ago. My own personal view, of course.
Old 2012-12-01, 20:55   Link #87
Vsin
Aldracity

I'm sorry, I'm a terrible person. I actually laughed when it got to the big reveal and heartbreak. I found it painfully forced and cliche when I read it, and it felt even more forced and cliche when I watched it. If anything, the entire Fairy Dance arc up to this point was like a really irritating itch that you really really wanted to scratch but you had to wait for someone to finally arrive and scratch it for you. Oh well, at least we finally finished the reveal so we can get to the part of the story that I actually give a damn about.

It's a sort-of spoiler to say this, but every SAO arc is structured fairly differently compared to any other arc so if you didn't like ALO then don't worry, it doesn't happen again. I at least hope Japan doesn't hate ALO as much as I do because otherwise we might not get to see GGO animated.

The execution of the card drop and fight scene were excellent though.
Vsin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-12-01, 20:56   Link #88
miroku2192
Let's Puppystyle!

Form a big bubble and fly up together. Layers of bubbles of people with shields. I wonder how many it would take to just get a few into the entrance, as opposed to flat out fighting it out.

btw, this was so cute:

Spoiler for gif for size:
Old 2012-12-01, 21:01   Link #89
Vmem

Well, not gonna leave a long rant, am a novel reader so I saw this one coming ever since they started the SAO anime. but gotta say, this has a very different feel with decent VAs and animation. And I mean both the part where Kirito goes on a rampage of love and when Suguha's heart just shatters to pieces.

Great job and kudos to the anime, very well done episode (like I said, I already knew the plot so I won't rate it )

Edit: Forgot to add and I've mentioned this before, but I believe there is a heavily dialed down sense of pain in the ALO world. definitely nothing like what you'd feel in RL, but I think when kirito and later leafa got shot with those arrows, they felt it. when kirito got impaled by the swords, I think he was just too emotionally numb to care. maybe the arrows are like a paper cut, and the swords are like being punched pretty hard by someone
Vmem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-12-01, 21:08   Link #90
Dark Wing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vsin View Post
It's a sort-of spoiler to say this, but every SAO arc is structured fairly differently compared to any other arc so if you didn't like ALO then don't worry, it doesn't happen again. I at least hope Japan doesn't hate ALO as much as I do because otherwise we might not get to see GGO animated.

The execution of the card drop and fight scene were excellent though.
You don't have to worry about that because the show is selling pretty well actually.

Anyone else see Kirito catch on to the confession before Leafa could even get it out just like with Liz.
Old 2012-12-01, 21:21   Link #91
Vmem

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Wing View Post
You don't have to worry about that because the show is selling pretty well actually.

Anyone else see Kirito catch on to the confession before Leafa could even get it out just like with Liz.
oh yeah, he totally knew as soon as she latched onto his back actually. she just stomped him by revealing her real identity
Old 2012-12-01, 21:32   Link #92
Dark Wing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vmem View Post
oh yeah, he totally knew as soon as she latched onto his back actually. she just stomped him by revealing her real identity
Kirito: Oh no, Not another girl I'm going to have to let down easy...

Man I wish I had that kind of problem as a teenager...
Old 2012-12-01, 21:38   Link #93
Witch of Uncertainty

First time since SAO's "destruction" I've really enjoyed. Fantastic episode imo
Witch of Uncertainty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-12-01, 21:41   Link #94
kk2extreme
Your wife is hot...

Quote:

Kirito is a natural lady killer
kk2extreme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-12-01, 21:52   Link #95
Vmem

Quote:

don't forget his later reaction of "onii-chan??? sugu ??? !!! o.O X_X KILL ME KNOW Shit SHit SHIT SHIT SPOIWHQRPIOUDS crap she just logged out ohhh FML"
Old 2012-12-01, 21:55   Link #96
NoemiChan
Banned

Kirito: Actually Suguha... I quit kendo... because of you..... because I knew that we weren't my blood siblings.... I have already fantasies, very "nsfw" of you back then.. also I find you really hot in a kendo outfit those.. uhmm yeah... ehem... So before I lose myself and commit a crime, I have to quit kendo and used other means to divert my "puberty induced urgent madness, aka impure thoughts og you" to other stuffs like games for example SAO....

Wait, now I get it..!!! You're the one who drove me to play SAO..!!!

Last edited by NoemiChan; 2012-12-02 at 01:20.
Old 2012-12-01, 22:50   Link #97
Peanutbutter

Nice grand quest, nice attempt and nice save. Last of all, brilliant revelation.

I think this series has some of the best voice acting I've seen for a long time. First from Kirito, then Asuna and now Suguha.

Terrific scene voiced out by Ayanyan. One can really feel her heart being broken twice in there. It's really screwed up and I dun think this will be a story mechanic I'll see again for a very long time.

Hope all of them get some form of recognition for their performance.
Peanutbutter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-12-01, 22:53   Link #98
Zodiamaster

Am I the only one who thinks this episode sucked?
Kirito spent the first 15 minutes being an overly dramatic, cliched desperate hero, and in the last 5 minutes his conveniently unrelated-by-blood sister confesses her love for him.

This probably was the worst episode since the rushed declaration of love/sex/marriage of Kirito to Asuna back in episode 11(I think).
Old 2012-12-01, 23:17   Link #99
justinstrife

Send a message via AIM to justinstrife
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zodiamaster View Post
Am I the only one who thinks this episode sucked?
Kirito spent the first 15 minutes being an overly dramatic, cliched desperate hero, and in the last 5 minutes his conveniently unrelated-by-blood sister confesses her love for him.

This probably was the worst episode since the rushed declaration of love/sex/marriage of Kirito to Asuna back in episode 11(I think).
You probably aren't the only one, but you are very much in the minority.

I gave this episode a 9. Wasn't perfect, but it was an excellent episode. Looking forward to the final episodes to this season and praying for a follow up season later on.
Old 2012-12-01, 23:51   Link #100
germanturkey
Udon-YAAAAAAAA

well, the pacing shows i was off with my "sugou is a mid level boss." but man, what an episode for character development! amazing voice acting and fight animation. they really used their budget on this one.

Blessed are those who listen to headphones, for they listen to the sound of heaven.
germanturkey is offline   Reply With Quote