AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired M-Z > Psycho-Pass

Notices

View Poll Results: Psycho-Pass - Episode 11 Rating
Perfect 10 65 63.11%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 28 27.18%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 5 4.85%
7 out of 10 : Good 1 0.97%
6 out of 10 : Average 1 0.97%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 0 0%
4 out of 10 : Poor 1 0.97%
3 out of 10 : Bad 1 0.97%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 1 0.97%
1 out of 10 : Painful 0 0%
Voters: 103. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 2012-12-21, 11:50   Link #81
Ridwan

I don't like to get all hyped and farfetch, but figuring out wider consequences has been my thing when a bigger context is present. I like how clear the fundamental flaw of the Sybil System has been demonstrated in this episode. As I believe to have said somewhere in this sub-forum, I kinda have a morbid interest in seeing the collapse of something like the Sybil System(believe me, shit is sooooo hitting the fan should that actually happen!), but all will depend on dynamics beyond this point. Most likely, the establishment will do all they can to suppress any invasive criticism directed to the system, should they start flying around at all. More likely then not, they'll be able to prevent any disclosed polemical process from happening. It seems wise to think that Urobuchi is probably more interested in inter-personal dynamics between the casts and the consequential development of their personalities then in the frame setting the story is taking place, even while making the later effectively integral part of the former. Certainly nonetheless, that the later is not just for background decoration, but I do wonder if this show will elaborate to us how far this part will evolve later, and especially about how the main cast will role in that process.

Last edited by Ridwan; 2012-12-21 at 12:18.
Old 2012-12-21, 15:37   Link #82
blackwhite67
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeoTwister5 View Post
Okay so my previous speculation that Makishima's value would be unbelievably low was just confirmed.

So that also confirms some speculation that the Sibyl's ability to detect criminality is based on some variable that Makishima passes through. In other words the bigger question for Sibyl now is, precisely, what exactly does the Sibyl System use to calculate the values in such a way that it is unable to detect criminals like Makishima?

From the looks of it... it seems that one thing that Makishima doesn't have that his former proteges had was... some sort of intense emotion and/or emotionally driven desire. Makishima for the most part comes off as having no direct emotional involvement in all of this. He is, for lack of a better term, emotionless, and I suspect that human emotion most likely is a very big variable in the Sibyl algorithms.
Based on the limited information so far, the Sibyl system seems to calculate the crime coefficient on the field of an organism. I interpret this as the emotional turmoil a person feels when they are about to commit a criminal act. Well, emotional may not be the right word maybe mental instability. Makishima is perfectly calm and he simply acts freely.
Old 2012-12-21, 20:35   Link #83
Lenneth4

Send a message via MSN to Lenneth4
Makishima is my man
Old 2012-12-21, 20:41   Link #84
Team Rocket Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bern-san View Post
Maybe Makishima will keep an eye on her to see if her hue gets clouded, or just wants to make Kogami watch her fall on the darkness.

Will we be able to see that expression she has during the opening?
They hinted earlier on in the series that Akane's hue doesn't get clouded very much even under heavy stress. I don't think it's a permanent pure white like Makishima but it might be something similar to it.
Old 2012-12-21, 21:43   Link #85
NoemiChan
Banned

Send a message via Yahoo to NoemiChan
Why does these cops don't have an extra "normal" gun on the first place...
Old 2012-12-21, 22:06   Link #86
Lenneth4

Send a message via MSN to Lenneth4
Well , dominator guns are really useful , you scan and you kill (or not)

Makishima is just an exception (or not)
Old 2012-12-21, 22:17   Link #87
Dark Wing

Quote:
Originally Posted by GenjiChan View Post
Why does these cops don't have an extra "normal" gun on the first place...
Wouldn't shotting some one raise your CC and cloud your hue.

Remember that many detectives where taken off the job after Sybil was put into place and started flagging many as would be criminals. This is most likely when the change in the way police worked took place.
Old 2012-12-22, 04:14   Link #88
Allium
Keep on keeping on

What a gripping episode. As I'd expected, Senguji and Yuki kicked the bucket. During her confrontation with Makishima, Akane was so overwhelmed by the Dominator not being able to judge him - which was painful to watch, but is understandable to me as she heavily relies on the Sibyl System.

Makishima's decreasing CC seems to point at a flaw in the Sibyl System, one we have yet to know about. He can't be the only one with this ability, can't he?
Old 2012-12-22, 04:21   Link #89
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.

That tears it. The Dominator is a terrible weapon. Not only is it slow, it lacks a manual override. I mean, the guy was in the process of committing a crime. Why couldn't an inspector have stunned him and sorted it out later?
Old 2012-12-22, 04:21   Link #90
NoemiChan
Banned

Send a message via Yahoo to NoemiChan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Wing View Post
Remember that many detectives where taken off the job after Sybil was put into place and started flagging many as would be criminals. This is most likely when the change in the way police worked took place.
But the problem is the system.. at least they have a plan B if the system becomes like this.. unless "that guy" is the very first person who's CC is normal though he is obviously a killer...
Old 2012-12-22, 04:49   Link #91
Team Rocket Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allium View Post
Makishima's decreasing CC seems to point at a flaw in the Sibyl System, one we have yet to know about. He can't be the only one with this ability, can't he?
There's a good chance Akane is immune as well. They've made comments in the past regarding how clear her Psycho Pass even when she's under stress.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anh_Minh View Post
That tears it. The Dominator is a terrible weapon. Not only is it slow, it lacks a manual override. I mean, the guy was in the process of committing a crime. Why couldn't an inspector have stunned him and sorted it out later?
An inspector is still a human who can make mistakes. It doesn't make much sense to let a human make a decision if the Sybil system is infallible. No override means a human can't replace the Sybil system's judgement with a mistake. Sybil doesn't even have to be perfect. If its false positive and false negative rate are low enough, statistically you would have more errors by letting humans make decisions even if you let the Makishimas of the world slip between the cracks. You comments about the Dominators being way too slow is valid, though. 10 second start up time to judge a target is way too long. If Kougami wasn't Kougami, there's a good chance he would be dead despite picking up the gun and having a clear shot because of the massive delay.
Old 2012-12-22, 05:01   Link #92
Triple_R
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
Quote:
Originally Posted by Team Rocket Elite View Post
There's a good chance Akane is immune as well. They've made comments in the past regarding how clear her Psycho Pass even when she's under stress.

An inspector is still a human who can make mistakes. It doesn't make much sense to let a human make a decision if the Sybil system is infallible. No override means a human can't replace the Sybil system's judgement with a mistake. Sybil doesn't even have to be perfect. If its false positive and false negative rate are low enough, statistically you would have more errors by letting humans make decisions even if you let the Makishimas of the world slip between the cracks.
Honestly, I find your reasoning a bit specious here. How often do we hear news reports of cops accidentally killing innocent civilians? Once or twice a year, if that? Humans make mistakes, sure, but they're generally not on the level that results in a dead innocent civilian and a serial killer getting away scott free. Sybil might make fewer mistakes, but when it makes one, they're going to be more severe than most human mistakes.

The Dominator ought to have a manual override, precisely for situations like this one. The society of Psycho-Pass really does put too much faith in the Sibyl system.
Old 2012-12-22, 05:04   Link #93
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Team Rocket Elite View Post
An inspector is still a human who can make mistakes. It doesn't make much sense to let a human make a decision if the Sybil system is infallible. No override means a human can't replace the Sybil system's judgement with a mistake.
A mistaken stun would have far smaller consequences than what we've seen. Hell, that's the reasoning behind "stun the victims first, send them to therapy later".

Besides, it's stupid to use merely a mind scan at the expense of the actual, present situation. No, it's not a situation that's going to occur very often. But it should still be accounted for.
Old 2012-12-22, 05:12   Link #94
RDF2050
Superidol

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reincarnated View Post
Shotgun on her right hand and dominator on her left hand. Did you not notice the symbolism happening in here? It's not simply because she's shaken or being a coward or something..
Care to explain it? If there any reader out there that can explain this a little bit, I will be able to understand this episode a bit better.
Old 2012-12-22, 06:10   Link #95
Vladrave
The Dark Slayer

Goddamn you Akane Tsunemori........
But i guess it's really needed for Character development huh?
Old 2012-12-22, 07:04   Link #96
DXMichael
Psycho Falling Deep

You know, I was kind hoping for one of those "The hero jumps in at the last second and saves the girl" in the last 5 minutes of this episode...that wasn't the case

Pretty interesting how Akane went from being calm and no signs of bother to mentally scarred with no doubt partial cloudiness if not more. I'm worried for her in the next episode since she looked pretty bad at the end of this episode.

My precise Akane! Please be ok!
Old 2012-12-22, 07:07   Link #97
Kazu-kun

Quote:
Originally Posted by DXMichael View Post
with no doubt partial cloudiness if not more.
We don't know that yet. Let's not get ahead of ourselves.
Old 2012-12-22, 07:20   Link #98
DXMichael
Psycho Falling Deep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kazu-kun View Post
We don't know that yet. Let's not get ahead of ourselves.
Well, she looked pretty bad at the end of the episode, I personally would only assume that =/
Old 2012-12-22, 08:09   Link #99
Roger Rambo
Sensei, aishite imasu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple_R View Post
Honestly, I find your reasoning a bit specious here. How often do we hear news reports of cops accidentally killing innocent civilians? Once or twice a year, if that? Humans make mistakes, sure, but they're generally not on the level that results in a dead innocent civilian and a serial killer getting away scott free. Sybil might make fewer mistakes, but when it makes one, they're going to be more severe than most human mistakes.
What about all the times they shot black people after mistaking their cellphones for guns, that doesn't get reported on the news?

....okay, this might be a rather American centric question.
Old 2012-12-22, 08:52   Link #100
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.

- Manual override would mean they'd still have to think before shooting.
- They have a stun option.

It's not ideal, of course. Nothing's perfect. But there should be an option to shoot murderous bastards when they're caught in the act, whatever their CC is.
Closed Thread