Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat

Notices

Old 2010-12-29, 11:10   Link #1681
ZephyrLeanne
On a sabbatical

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChainLegacy View Post
It's interesting how the Japanese have historically been very open to foreign cultural and scientific ideas but never to the actual foreigners that had the ideas. Perhaps it is connected to the whole issue; copy and perfect outside things that work rather than absorb the actual outside elements.
Sounds like China. Every new technology that goes in must be delivered in knock down state. And all foreign companies must let a state firm have a substansial share of the company.
Old 2010-12-29, 18:52   Link #1682
yezhanquan
Observer/Bookman wannabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZephyrLeanne View Post
Sounds like China. Every new technology that goes in must be delivered in knock down state. And all foreign companies must let a state firm have a substansial share of the company.
They apparently want to just race ahead without "wasting" time on stuff that "don't work". But, most of the time, you learn more during the process than just solely with the end product.
Old 2010-12-29, 19:10   Link #1683
Knightrunner

Quote:
Originally Posted by yezhanquan View Post
They apparently want to just race ahead without "wasting" time on stuff that "don't work". But, most of the time, you learn more during the process than just solely with the end product.
Not really. Time is really important since people have short lives. The process only teaches what you shouldn't do. If something fails then everybody else knows not to do it. Time, money, and effort gets wasted in failed attempts so it is better to wait for something successful to come out of it. Besides nothing new is really coming out of technology, especially sports gear. There were plenty of times when scientist falsify inventions and discoveries to keep there jobs because coperations give unreasonable deadlines.
Old 2010-12-29, 19:23   Link #1684
yezhanquan
Observer/Bookman wannabe

Someone has to be that one fellow to fail so that the others can say,"Ok, that doesn't work." Also, sharing of knowledge is still not very prevalent due to issues.
Old 2011-01-24, 08:42   Link #1685
bhl88
Otaku Apprentice

Send a message via MSN to bhl88 Send a message via Yahoo to bhl88
it's a simple question but related to F/SN:

Is it illegal to bring a shinai with something strapped to it to a tournament?
Old 2011-01-24, 12:20   Link #1686
TinyRedLeaf
Moving in circles

Back to the baby issue

OMG, this is hilarious, even by the blogger's own standards. Mr Brown's (he's Chinese Singaporean, by the way; the name is just his online moniker) podcasts are typically about very Singaporean issues, but his latest podcast about the country's "baby crisis" is fairly accessible to wider audiences, so I thought of sharing it on this thread (apologies for thread hijack, but the topic is still tangentially related to Japan's baby crisis; well, barely, but I hope readers will let this one slide).

The Mr Brown Show: The Baby Crisis (click to play the podcast linked to the webpage)

Mr Brown's irreverent humour and social satire, with regard to reproduction in Singapore, are spot on as usual. And, yes, what you hear are authentic Singapore accents, though exaggerated for comedy effect.

Some notes:

1) Gahmen: Singapore slang/contraction for Government.

2) Singapore's baby crisis: (Fertility rate falls to record-low 1.16)

3) Eating alone in school campaign: (Dare to eat alone?)

4) Punish singles by denying them flats: Rules for singles buying cheap govt apartments. (tl;dr version: If you aren't at least 35, you can't buy one).

5) Threatening citizens with more immigrants: (S'pore needs young immigrants to prevent decline, says Lee)

6) Geleng, bangra: Derogatory slang terms for Indians.

7) Elite kindergarten of their choice: (Overnight queue to get on kindergarten wait list)

8) Ger: Girl
TinyRedLeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-01-25, 01:46   Link #1687
ZephyrLeanne
On a sabbatical

I don't particularly think Mr Brown's podcasts are relevant to non-Singapore cases.

And by the way, I think most of the terms are understood.

BTW, someone should tell the parents that there is no "affiliation" benefits from an elite kindergarten, even if Nanyang Primary is next door, or if Barker Methodist Kindergarten is in the same compound as ACS Primary.
Old 2011-01-25, 13:47   Link #1688
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

This thread seems to have gone seriously off-track from the topic: Japanese culture. Not that this isn't interesting but try to tie it back in.

Maybe we need a thread on Asian Culture, Politics, and Interaction .... after all, the region is going to be rather important on a planetary scale over the next century.
Old 2011-01-26, 19:57   Link #1689
Dragonar Fan
HI-RISE BOMBEERRR!!!

Receiving an Omamori from a stranger

I know that I had recived an omamori about 3-4(i dont remember that well)years back from a young woman i met at a mechanics competition/convention , i know that to recieive an obi is a great honor , but im not so sure what it means to receive an omamori.....
Old 2011-01-26, 20:29   Link #1690
Afternoon Tea
*Artist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
This thread seems to have gone seriously off-track from the topic: Japanese culture. Not that this isn't interesting but try to tie it back in.

Maybe we need a thread on Asian Culture, Politics, and Interaction .... after all, the region is going to be rather important on a planetary scale over the next century.
I agree Asian Culture would be better
Afternoon Tea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-01-26, 21:33   Link #1691
Khu
そんなやさしくしないで。。。

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragonar Fan View Post
I know that I had recived an omamori about 3-4(i dont remember that well)years back from a young woman i met at a mechanics competition/convention , i know that to recieive an obi is a great honor , but im not so sure what it means to receive an omamori.....
Omamori are charms that protect you. Shinto.
Khu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-01-26, 21:44   Link #1692
Dragonar Fan
HI-RISE BOMBEERRR!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khu View Post
Omamori are charms that protect you. Shinto.
Well what i do know is that there many types for different purposes & they have to be replaced every once in a while but I still carry it im my wallet but as there are no shinto shrines whrere i live , i cant properly dispose of it , but eh i feel too attatched to it, to do that ......
Old 2011-01-27, 02:47   Link #1693
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

They're little amulets blessed by a Shinto Priest rite. They're good luck charms for specific purposes and are typically given back to the temple to be purified (burned) every New Year's. Then you get more.

I have a number of them... and yeah I don't get rid of mine either. They're pretty and make nice display decorations. Just think of them as good luck charms that the warranty expired on

As far as I know, there's only one fully certified operational Shinto Shrine in the US: http://www.tsubakishrine.org/

They (like all Shinto shrines) break even by selling charms, amulets, wards, etc. in addition to offering memberships and blessings.

I usually pick up a few each year to give to students I know studying Japanese and fellow culture fans.
Old 2011-01-27, 06:52   Link #1694
ZephyrLeanne
On a sabbatical

Well, color me surprised.
I thought none outside the holy land of Nihon were certifiable.

Anyways, while on blessings there is an American actress who was bowing to a sweet potato seller in the belief he was a priest.
Old 2011-01-27, 12:47   Link #1695
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZephyrLeanne View Post
Well, color me surprised.
I thought none outside the holy land of Nihon were certifiable.

Anyways, while on blessings there is an American actress who was bowing to a sweet potato seller in the belief he was a priest.
Shinto isn't a monolithic practice like, say, the Catholic Church. Its a loose collections of folk beliefs, animism, and somewhat integrated rituals to 'respect the kami'. You can certainly find a few scholars/priests that hold that Shinto is a Japan-only set of practices/beliefs but you can also find more that say Shinto can apply anywhere. It certainly has strong parallels to American native beliefs and Keltic pagan beliefs before Roman suppression.

However, The US shrine is as legit as it gets since they have a close partnership with their Japanese shrines and the priest has trained and been stamped a-ok by that school of Shinto. I've been there. Its very popular with Japanese (and others) living in the Northwest.

As for 'sweet potato gods and their priests' .... well, cynically speaking isn't that how most modern religious sects started? All she has to do is get a few million people to follow along and bam she's got a mainstream religion.
Old 2011-01-27, 12:58   Link #1696
SaintessHeart
NYAAAAHAAANNNNN~

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
As for 'sweet potato gods and their priests' .... well, cynically speaking isn't that how most modern religious sects started? All she has to do is get a few million people to follow along and bam she's got a mainstream religion.
You know, there HAS to be a reason why Japanese people aren't worshipping catgirls instead of money.

I mean, c'mon, the agricultural sector has to keep up with their times. Why don't they erect a statue of Horo in the agricultural regions?

P.S I posted a serious piece in the News Stories region that might be related to this. I would encourage people to go read...it would certainly affect the future of anime figurine exports.

When three puppygirls named after pastries are on top of each other, it is called Eclair a'la menthe et Biscotti aux fraises avec beaucoup de Ricotta sur le dessus.
Most of all, you have to be disciplined and you have to save, even if you hate our current financial system. Because if you don't save, then you're guaranteed to end up with nothing.
SaintessHeart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-01-27, 15:06   Link #1697
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

I suppose you could argue a significant faction of Japan *does* worship catgirls (otaku) ... but really, catgirls and their kin are just outgrowths of Shinto mythology.
Old 2011-01-28, 21:59   Link #1698
ZephyrLeanne
On a sabbatical

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaintessHeart View Post
You know, there HAS to be a reason why Japanese people aren't worshipping catgirls instead of money.

I mean, c'mon, the agricultural sector has to keep up with their times. Why don't they erect a statue of Horo in the agricultural regions?

P.S I posted a serious piece in the News Stories region that might be related to this. I would encourage people to go read...it would certainly affect the future of anime figurine exports.
Last time I was in Singapore, I remember a Pineapple/Durian god temple in Sembawang.
It's definitely not just the Japanese.
Old 2011-01-28, 22:17   Link #1699
Dragonar Fan
HI-RISE BOMBEERRR!!!

Well Vesta was the goddess of wheat but what am i saying ,theres probably gods associated with food items everywhere its in our past & is still gonna resubmerge if not comically....

Last edited by Dragonar Fan; 2011-01-28 at 22:18. Reason: LOTSA SPAGHETTI
Dragonar Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-01-28, 23:36   Link #1700
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Food is good.... festivals are good... street vendor food at festivals are great. Praise the kami and pass the taiyaki.

Tags
culture, discussion, japan, japanese culture