AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Fan Creations

Notices

Old 2013-07-27, 18:24   Link #61
winhlp32
(¬‿¬)

Hi Assort Dis! Glad you could be here.

I was lazy and couldn't immediately find a manga page that had those stiff lines so I gave up. I will take note about the ears. I seem to have a problem with drawing ears in different angles and perspectives.

People have said repeatedly my hands are bad, so I try to draw as many hands as I can in these new pictures to get better. I glad it seems to be showing a little improvement.

Thanks for your complements!
       /
      / \|
    /
winhlp32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-07-28, 02:48   Link #62
MisaoFan
Autistic NEET bath lover

The drawing is pretty good for a beginner like winhlp32. It's not without inconsistencies (mainly the hands), but I like the color palette, it kinda reminds me of the Japanese artists using it these days. I like how you did a good job with Valvrave fanart, and I will give you a message for you:
Quote:
Good work and keep it up to the top!
Have your social attention be noticed in a genuinely positive light.
MyAnimeList
MisaoFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-07-28, 13:48   Link #63
Assort Dis

Quote:
Originally Posted by winhlp32 View Post

I was lazy and couldn't immediately find a manga page that had those stiff lines so I gave up.
I swear I've seen those effects hundreds of time before but it's unexpectedly difficult to find when I need them. Anyway, I stumbled upon this panel from the Needless manga that has the effect you need:
Spoiler for pic:
Old 2013-08-05, 06:27   Link #64
winhlp32
(¬‿¬)

Sorry for the late reply:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisaoFan View Post
The drawing is pretty good for a beginner like winhlp32. It's not without inconsistencies (mainly the hands), but I like the color palette, it kinda reminds me of the Japanese artists using it these days. I like how you did a good job with Valvrave fanart, and I will give you a message for you: Good work and keep it up to the top!
I am always looking at what Japanese illustrators are drawing these days to make sure my drawing don't look too "old". Thank you for your encouraging words and I will work on those hands.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Assort Dis View Post
I swear I've seen those effects hundreds of time before but it's unexpectedly difficult to find when I need them. Anyway, I stumbled upon this panel from the Needless manga that has the effect you need:
Spoiler for pic:
Thank you for that. Next time I draw something similar I know where to look!

------------------------------------------------------------------
Update:

I felt like drawing something yuri-themed. I considered drawing a kiss scene...but in the end felt I wasn't ready to draw kissing. Sorry for the disappointment! For today, please settle with a nice warm embrace instead.

So here's Madoka and Homura from Madoka Magica. Click picture to enlarge.

/
      / \|
    /
Old 2013-08-05, 07:27   Link #65
Triple_R
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
Well, it's a truly beautiful picture. It's a gloriously gorgeous image in general. The hair, eyes, facial expressions, and lighting effects are particularly well-done and decidedly pleasant to look at. And these two costumes are definitely two of the more elaborate ones in anime, and you've done a generally excellent job in capturing them. This is another ambitious work on your part, and I like how you don't stick with just easy projects. This is definitely a piece of work that you should feel proud of.

Nonetheless, there are a fair number of nits that I can pick. Keep in mind that this is coming from a big Madoka Magica fan who can be a bit perfectionist when it comes to imagery on that series in particular.

1) The red ribbon in Homura's hair looks off. It doesn't look like it would actually hold in place. It's considerably thinner here than how its displayed in the anime. There's also the fact that it seems to be tied to a very thin golden ribbon going around Homura's head. Where is that golden ribbon from?

2) Madoka's shoe is off. It looks like a ballerina slipper here. In the anime its an elegant high-heel shoe. This has the side-effect of the wings attachment looking a bit off to me. I think they'd look better a bit higher-up.

3) Why is Homura doing the "talk to the hand" motion? I think it would look better if her hand was wrapping around Madoka's hair and/or back.

4) There's these two strange beams of light going across the image, around Homura's knees. What's that supposed to represent?

Anyway, these are nitpicks, and they don't detract substantially from your work. On the whole, it's still a wonderful work. 9.2/10

Last edited by Triple_R; 2013-08-05 at 18:20.
Triple_R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-08-05, 18:13   Link #66
Hooves
~Official Slacker~
*Author

That picture is too much......
Old 2013-08-05, 18:27   Link #67
Triple_R
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hooves View Post
We truly have fantastic artists on this site. Winhlp32 showed considerable potential in his very first post on this thread, but he has really come a long way in refining his artwork and enhancing the overall quality of it (this is especially noticeable with how much he's improved on anatomy). He's at the point now where his artwork is probably better than 95% or more of what I could find on deviantArt. It's really been a joy to watch both winhlp32 and Assort Dis grow as artists over the past few months.
Old 2013-08-05, 23:01   Link #68
Kimidori
The Opened Ultimate Gate

that coloring... masterful, can you please teach me? or at least show me where you learned all that.

the drawing itself though, to be honest, somewhat bad, the position they in is awkward, unnatural. the neck is too thin and long, the leg is badly proportioned make them appear fat while they actually little too short and Homura's left leg seem to be bigger than her right leg (speaking of which where Madoka's left leg?). Madoka's also a bit flat and Homura's hand...

that said the hair is nicely draw and Madoka's dress is really detailed, great job on that.
Old 2013-08-06, 05:00   Link #69
winhlp32
(¬‿¬)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple_R View Post
1) The red ribbon in Homura's hair looks off. It doesn't look like it would actually hold in place. It's considerably thinner here than how its displayed in the anime. There's also the fact that it seems to be tied to a very thin golden ribbon going around Homura's head. Where is that golden ribbon from?

2) Madoka's shoe is off. It looks like a ballerina slipper here. In the anime its an elegant high-heel shoe. This has the side-effect of the wings attachment looking a bit off to me. I think they'd look better a bit higher-up.

3) Why is Homura doing the "talk to the hand" motion? I think it would look better if her hand was wrapping around Madoka's hair and/or back.

4) There's these two strange beams of light going across the image, around Homura's knees. What's that supposed to represent?
Thanks a lot for the detailed commentary. I knew how much you love Madoka Magica so I tried hard.
1. The "golden ribbon" was hair highlights. They are usually white though and I experimented with a yellow color here.
2. That winged shoe was surprisingly difficult to draw. I will take note.
3. I should have drawn the hand a bit looser rather than so stiff as it looks to it seems more natural. I agree too that it may look better if Homura's hands wrapped around Madoka. It'd probably be much harder for me to draw though.
4. I like to draw "lens flares" in the picture to make the whole drawing look like it was a photo being taken. There is also a "it looks cool" factor being taken into account.

Thank you for your support, as always.

Quote:
Glad you can be here. Thank you very much!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimidori View Post
that coloring... masterful, can you please teach me? or at least show me where you learned all that.

the drawing itself though, to be honest, somewhat bad, the position they in is awkward, unnatural. the neck is too thin and long, the leg is badly proportioned make them appear fat while they actually little too short and Homura's left leg seem to be bigger than her right leg (speaking of which where Madoka's left leg?). Madoka's also a bit flat and Homura's hand...

that said the hair is nicely draw and Madoka's dress is really detailed, great job on that.
I thank you for your honest opinion.

Deviantart tutorials gave me the foundation for basic coloring and shading. After that I take influences from professional Japanese light novel/visual novel and Pixiv illustrators, and generally avoid TV anime illustrations from the likes of Megami or Nyantype magazines. You can find all of these on the usual anime picture databases. The illustrators most influential in my current coloring philosophy thus far is probably Muririn/Kobuichi (who illustrated masterpieces such as Hidan no Aria and Kore wa Zombie desu ka?), though my drawings currently don't look anything like theirs.

Madoka's left leg is there. It's probably difficult to separate from the dress fabrics because she's wearing pink socks.

Other than that, I will slowly work on bettering my proportions and anatomy.
       /
      / \|
    /
Old 2013-08-06, 06:42   Link #70
Assort Dis

Truly impressive, wonderful coloring job, especially on Madoka's dress. I like how you shade their hair and clothes to seem like you're looking at the universe through the characters. And you really draw some smooth, flowing hair.

I agree that Homura's pose looks... weird and, pardon me, funny (from a glance, it looks like Madoka was hitting Homura's stomach with her knee especially when Homura's hand is like that ). I think it could look more natural if Homura's hip and legs can be more straight along the direction of her body. I don't know why you choose that hand position for Homura though.

Also, their ears looks strange or maybe it's just me. I'm sorry that I can't find words to describe this...

And I am repeating myself but really nice job on Madoka's dress along with those frilly stuffs. I can't take my eyes off it
Old 2013-08-06, 08:26   Link #71
Deathrip

Today I made it a goal to get better than you in one year :P. I started drawing about 2 months ago too, but i've been on vacation in China for the last 5 weeks, so I didn't draw as much as I wanted to. I've made a few works which I don't think are worth showing just yet .
Deathrip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-08-06, 09:09   Link #72
Ryonea
Smiling beauty
*Graphic Designer

Wow, you're really on a roll, aren't you? I assume you still have a few on the progress now?

I guess I can't say anything new since most of the points were mentioned by the others. I agree about the pose. Madoka's kind of okay for me, but Homura's unnatural. If only her body wasn't bent like that, it'd be better IMO.
To be honest, when I just saw the thumbnail, I thought you're making your own take of this picture: http://www.pixiv.net/member_illust.p...st_id=37489399

Your coloring never cease to amaze me. Really love that vivid colors of yours. The tiny sparkles are a nice touch too.

I wish I could show you how to measure the body proportions (although it's only my method) but it's difficult to describe in words and there are so many more proper tutorials out there.

Quote:
I felt like drawing something yuri-themed. I considered drawing a kiss scene...but in the end felt I wasn't ready to draw kissing. Sorry for the disappointment! For today, please settle with a nice warm embrace instead.
I think I'm in the minority who's delighted to have them not kissing, though. Aside from my preference of straight couples, I also think an embrace feels much much warmer than a kiss.
Old 2013-08-07, 08:40   Link #73
winhlp32
(¬‿¬)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Assort Dis View Post
Truly impressive, wonderful coloring job, especially on Madoka's dress. I like how you shade their hair and clothes to seem like you're looking at the universe through the characters. And you really draw some smooth, flowing hair.

I agree that Homura's pose looks... weird and, pardon me, funny (from a glance, it looks like Madoka was hitting Homura's stomach with her knee especially when Homura's hand is like that ). I think it could look more natural if Homura's hip and legs can be more straight along the direction of her body. I don't know why you choose that hand position for Homura though.

Also, their ears looks strange or maybe it's just me. I'm sorry that I can't find words to describe this...

And I am repeating myself but really nice job on Madoka's dress along with those frilly stuffs. I can't take my eyes off it
Thank you. With all these comments I'm starting to realise just how far apart in terms of level it is between my drawing up to the lineart and the coloring.

In the planning stages I was dithering between having Madoka and Homura either on the ground or falling through the sky (which I think partially explains Homuras unnatural pose). By the time I decided I wanted them on the ground I already finished the basic coloring and shading, and it was a bit late to adjust Homura's pose.

Will add ears to the list of things I should review along with limbs in general. Thanks, your input helps a lot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deathrip View Post
Today I made it a goal to get better than you in one year :P. I started drawing about 2 months ago too, but i've been on vacation in China for the last 5 weeks, so I didn't draw as much as I wanted to. I've made a few works which I don't think are worth showing just yet .
I'd love to see you try. You can be the next Efe!

Images
One year
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryonea View Post
Wow, you're really on a roll, aren't you? I assume you still have a few on the progress now?

I guess I can't say anything new since most of the points were mentioned by the others. I agree about the pose. Madoka's kind of okay for me, but Homura's unnatural. If only her body wasn't bent like that, it'd be better IMO.
To be honest, when I just saw the thumbnail, I thought you're making your own take of this picture: http://www.pixiv.net/member_illust.p...st_id=37489399

Your coloring never cease to amaze me. Really love that vivid colors of yours. The tiny sparkles are a nice touch too.

I wish I could show you how to measure the body proportions (although it's only my method) but it's difficult to describe in words and there are so many more proper tutorials out there.

I think I'm in the minority who's delighted to have them not kissing, though. Aside from my preference of straight couples, I also think an embrace feels much much warmer than a kiss.
I've been drawing for over a year and a half now. Most of the time spent was accelerating my coloring skills while little time was dedicated to anatomy. I also only focused on drawing girls, and gave little attention to grown women, backgrounds or men. Maybe I need to start covering my bases with the proportions and anatomical foundations.

I'm glad what I've done so far has somewhat paid off though. Despite all the QUALITY hands, lots of people seem to really like my coloring. But yeah it's a big world out there, and if things all go according to plan, I think I've barely gotten started in this drawing business.

And while we may not exactly see eye-to-eye on yuri, I think we can both agree Ayaya is a miracle of the universe.
       /
      / \|
    /
Old 2013-08-07, 11:43   Link #74
Deathrip

I'm actually doing the date thingy too :P. Helps to keep track of improvement.

http://deathripi.deviantart.com/art/...rd-O-379944832
This would be 3 weeks into drawing

Please dont mind that arm. I only realized how bad it is after finishing the whole thing :_:
Deathrip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-08-07, 13:02   Link #75
bhl88
Otaku Apprentice

Send a message via MSN to bhl88 Send a message via Yahoo to bhl88
Quote:
Thank you. With all these comments I'm starting to realise just how far apart in terms of level it is between my drawing up to the lineart and the coloring.

In the planning stages I was dithering between having Madoka and Homura either on the ground or falling through the sky (which I think partially explains Homuras unnatural pose). By the time I decided I wanted them on the ground I already finished the basic coloring and shading, and it was a bit late to adjust Homura's pose.

Will add ears to the list of things I should review along with limbs in general. Thanks, your input helps a lot.

I'd love to see you try. You can be the next Efe!

Images
One year
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?

I've been drawing for over a year and a half now. Most of the time spent was accelerating my coloring skills while little time was dedicated to anatomy. I also only focused on drawing girls, and gave little attention to grown women, backgrounds or men. Maybe I need to start covering my bases with the proportions and anatomical foundations.

I'm glad what I've done so far has somewhat paid off though. Despite all the QUALITY hands, lots of people seem to really like my coloring. But yeah it's a big world out there, and if things all go according to plan, I think I've barely gotten started in this drawing business.

And while we may not exactly see eye-to-eye on yuri, I think we can both agree Ayaya is a miracle of the universe.
Do you accept requests? It would benefit either party (you get practice and they get drawings xD)
Old 2013-08-09, 16:50   Link #76
Hooves
~Official Slacker~
*Author

So wait, that image shows how much your drawings improved over the course of one year? If so that's some incredible progression.
Old 2013-08-09, 23:03   Link #77
RobotCat
In a Box

Your coloring is getting really good. Incredible progress in such a short amount of time. I think you should definitely work on anatomy more now if you're looking to start working on something else. It'd pay off a lot.
RobotCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-08-10, 01:56   Link #78
Kimidori
The Opened Ultimate Gate

Quote:
So wait, that image shows how much your drawings improved over the course of one year? If so that's some incredible progression.
that pic is not his improvement over one year but one of the artist he look up to.
Old 2013-08-10, 14:12   Link #79
Hooves
~Official Slacker~
*Author

Oooh, I was confused for a second
Old 2013-08-12, 23:02   Link #80
bhl88
Otaku Apprentice

Send a message via MSN to bhl88 Send a message via Yahoo to bhl88
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimidori View Post
that pic is not his improvement over one year but one of the artist he look up to.
Ah okay XD