AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Movies, OVAs/OADs, and Specials

Notices

Old 2010-10-31, 14:50   Link #2521
Reckoner
Bittersweet Distractor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg88 View Post
Thanks for almost making me choke to death.
Reckoner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-10-31, 14:52   Link #2522
fertygo
Hyakko Fanboy

Ah I can't see it anymore
Old 2010-10-31, 15:11   Link #2523
Reckoner
Bittersweet Distractor

I am stealing this from evageeks, but I think many here would find it interesting.

Newtype USA August 2007 wrote:

Quote:
The Power of a Name

*Image of Eva-00 with the shield while Operation Yashima is being prepared*

Eva-00: Piloted by the "first child" (Rei Ayanami), Unit 00 heads into batle to do its part in Operation Yashima, a huge battle plan that calls for the involvement of every city in Japan. An all-new color scheme adds to the iconic robot's appeal.

What's in a name

The Japanese titles for the four movies in the new Evangelion series have finally been announced--Jo, Ha, Kyu, and ?. The first three titles refer to a narrative structure that is considered to have been perfected about seven hundred years ago, giving the new Eva movies a sense of solemn maturity and suggesting that they'll have a more traditional format than what we see with the last batch of feature films ten years ago.

Jo, ha, and kyu are similar to Western storytelling concepts of setup, climax, and conclusion, but with slightly different emphasis. Jo, the title of the first movie, means "prologue", what happens before the real story begins. In the martial art iaido, jo is used to describe the time between when the swordsman first becomes aware that an attack is coming and when they actually draw their weapons. For many types of performance art (like Noh drama), the jo segment serves as a cheerful and festive introduction to the characters and situation. Since Operation Yashima--a famous battle from the original Evangelion series--will happen in Jo, it's most likely that it'll be portrayed with more flash and spectacle than gritty realism.

One other interesting thing about jo is that it's pacing is often unnaturally slow, creating tension similar to that of a door creaking open ever...so....slowly...in a horror film. Ha, then, can be considered the moment when the monster waiting behind the door suddenly leaps out at the protagonist. It's when the story really begins. The literal meaning of ha is "destruction" --swift, violent action that rips apart everything that came before. In iaido, it's when the sword is drawn and battle commences; in Noh, it's when the story picks the pace and the humanistic side of the tale is revealed.

Kyu usually means "urgent" or "emergency", but "ultimate" might be a better translation here. It's the finishing blow, a sharp, quick action followed by a moment of absolute stillness. In Noh, it's when the true face of the villain is finally revealed and the hero triumphs over him--the denouncement, in other words.

Normally, kyu marks the end of the story--so what's the deal with the fourth movie, enigmatically named Evangelion: ?. No one's talking, and given the mysteries surrounding previous Eva incarnations, we'll probably just have to wait and see.

If the new movies do follow the traditional jo/ha/kyu setup, the first movie will probably be a sort of slice-of-life narrative introducing us to the characters and setting. Then something will change unexpectedly in movie number two, forcing the characters to alter their course of action, and everything will come to a head in the third movie. Your guess is as good as ours for what will come after that, but we're sure that it'll shock and amaze us as only Evangelion can.

A new beginning

One of them created the original Eva TV series. The other was in the audience when it first aired. Together, they're creating a new Eva for future generations.

Redux

Shinji Higuchi holds a special position in the hearts of Evangelion fans. Not only did he storyboard two episodes and write the scripts for two more, he's also one of director Hideaki Anno's best friends, not to mention the namesake of protagonist Shinji Ikari. So it's no surprise to see him involved in the new Evangelion movies--which were as big of a shock to him as anyone else. "I couldn't believe that Anno was going back into directing anime," he says, "but I knew that if he did, it'd be something huge, so I'm very excited about the project."

Higuchi has been part of the Eva staff since the concept first took form back in 1995. "It was right after I finished Gamera: Guardian of the Universe, so I went straight from there to working on the Eva storyboards," he says. "When we finished Episode 1, it was so high-tension that it felt more like a climax than an opening episode. I think I even said as much to the staff. I was talking as if I hadn't been there from the beginning; that was how amazing it was to me. But even so, I was shocked and bemused when the show received so much acclaim."

After the TV series, Higuchi storyboarded the sequel movie The End of Evangelion in 1997. It was the end of an era for both the staff and legions of Eva fans around the world. "At the time, I was also working on Mamoru Oshii's G.R.M The Record of Garm War, a film project that was going nowhere [and wound up never being released]. I got over my frustration by pouring it all into The End of Evangelion. [Denno Coil director] Mitsuo Iso was in charge of the key animation for the section I was in charge of, so I was pleasantly surprised by the quality of our final product."

That was ten years ago, and now Higuchi is storyboarding yet another Evangelion movie, this one directed by Kazuya Tsurumaki and Masayuki, under the supervision of general director Hideaki Anno. But his old comrades are being very close-lipped about the project--even to him. "I didn't actually realize this until you asked, but they really haven't told me anything at all!" Higuchi admits. "Actually, they've never told me anything, I had my first experience with the stress of never being told anything when I worked with them on the TV series 12 years ago. It's amazing that it all pulled together so well, actually."

There have been lots of changes in Higuchi's life since then, and he's even directed his own live-action movies--Lorelai and Nihon Chinbotsu. But he's still passionate about Evangelion: "All I have to say is that I can do things now I couldn't have before, and I'll be giving it my best as it currently stands."

Operation Yashima in Jo, the first of the new movies, ought to be the perfect place for Higuchi to show off his new talents, especially considering his spectacular success with the scenes of mass devastation in Nihon Chinbotsu. He wouldn't tell us much about it, but he did reveal that he's "paying more attention to the fact that there are real people living throughout Tokyo-3 during the story. All I can say is that there's no doubt that it will be incredible." For the rest, we'll just have to wait and see.
_____
Shinji Higuichi: Born 1965. Over the years, Higuchi has become famous for his special effects work on the Gamera series and numerous other live-action superhero and monster shows. He's also directed the hit films Lorelai and Nihon Chinbotsu. Now he's doing storyboards for the new Eva movie Jo.

*Image spread on both pages (67 and 66), Japanese poster of Jo*

Petite Eva

Who could this shadowy figure be?! Reddish body, eerie antennae, a round head... The Petite Eva series is a collection of toys showing super-deformed school-kid versions of the Eva characters, but this particular product is still shrouded in mystery. Who could this "secret character" be? There will be nine figures in total, including the secret character, Unit 01 dressed in a school uniform, and a set of Rei Ayanami triplets.

Who is this?!

*Lower left of page 67: Somewhat shaded Puchi Eva JA-ko figure and animated Puchi Eva RiAO/Middle child Rei*

The figures were designed by manga artist Ryusuke Hanamoto of Moeyon Gakuen, and the package by Hideki Satomi of Yotsuba Studio.

Operation Yashima

One of the highlights of Jo will be Operation Yashima, first chronicled in Episode 6 of the TV series. The Evangelion units were helpless before the new Angel that appeared in the sky over Tokyo-3--the Angel's powerful long-distance attacks kept the units from getting close enough to damage it. So NERV, the organization behind the Eva robots, came up with a plan that would allow the units to attack from outside the Angel's range--using a weapon powered by all the electricity in Japan. The operation, named after a famous story about an impossible shot made with a bow and arrow, was calculated to have only an 8.7% change of success. (The images below are taken from the original TV show.)

*Shinji and Rei side by side before Yashima*
Shinji and Rei before embarking on their mission. Shinji was terrified of dying, but Rei didn't seem to care at all.

*Rei standing against the moon*
After Shinji and Rei agree to combine forces, Rei's stance shows her powerful determination.

*Eva-01 firing the Rifle during Operation Yashima*
The time has come to fire. If they miss, then all is lost.

*Cables with smoke coming from them*
The cables pulling electricity from across Japan start smoking from the energy running through them.

*Upper right page (67): Screenshots from PS2 Battle Orchestra*

Shin-Seiki Evangelion: Battle Orchestra for PS2

All of our favorite protagonists and antagonists are back in the new melee adventure. Expect lots of hand-to-hand combat, guns and special attacks like the Lance of Longinus. Up to four characters and their mecha can fight at once, and the better their synch ratio is, the more cool abilities they'll gain. There are also amusing cut scenes that will pop up from time to time during the battle. Who will survive this wild battle royale?

*Asuka talking to Misato*
There's lots of interpersonal drama in Story mode! The numerous endings keep it from getting old.

*An explosion in the middle with Eva-01 and Eva-00 duking it out*
Pull off cool special attacks by getting your team (any combination of Eva units and Angels) to work well together.

*cover art of the game with yellow Eva-00, along with Eva-02 and Eva-01*
On sale now in Japan from Broccoli

"I remember thinking that Anno had to be one scary bastard"

Initiation

When Evangelion first came out, Tomoki Kyoda was just a member of the audience. Now he and many others from his generation are part of the staff bringing it back to life. But he's no newbie to the anime industry. Kyoda already has an impressive list of credentials under his belt, including the RahXephon movie and the recent Eureka Seven TV series.

"The Eva TV show was just interesting, pure and simple," Kyoda comments, "although I did have some problems with it because I started watching at Episode 8! I felt like it was a compilation of everything Anno had done before that point. In particular, I loved the abbreviated structure of each episode, which gave it this wonderful sense of depth. It seemed like a year-long series had been compressed into a half-year of episodes, which was incredible. Admittedly, I didn't believe that it would actually end after half a year once Gendo talked about it being "the beginning" in Episode 19!"

By the time the movie came out in '97, Kyoda was just a step away from the anime industry. "Around that time, I was working in GAINAX's game division," he says. "My first thought after seeing the film was that it was really a gift for fans. All those things that couldn't be shown in the TV series were offered up for the audience. I was delighted with it, but I guess the rest of the world didn't share my opinion."

Going from fan to creator was a big change, and each project he's been involved in since has changed him a little more. As a result, he hesitated when he was asked to join the staff of the new Eva films. "To be honest, when they asked me, I fully intended to turn them down," he reveals. "But then I read the script [of the first movie] and the summary of what was on tap for afterward, and some of Anno's sheer determination rubbed off on me. I remember thinking that if he was really going to go through with this, he had to be one scary bastard. Personally, I'm very impressed, but I have to wonder how much of the audience (or staff, for that matter) will actually understand what he's trying to do here. He's trying to cross a very rickety bridge, and I respect him because of it. It's a big risk. His example has given me courage."

As far as the films go, Kyoda isn't willing to say much. "If I say anything specific, it'll spoil the movie, so I'm keeping my mouth shut. But I will say that we're not just remaking the pictures and dialogue. We're remaking the very reason why it became such a hit. That's the risk Anno's taking, and that's what makes it so fascinating. It's why I intend to see it through to the end."
______
Tomoki Kyoda: Born 1970. Kyoda is best known for directing the RahXephon movie and the Eureka Seven TV series. He also did the storyboards and sequence direction on the opening to Seirei no Moribito. Now he's doing storyboards for the new Eva movie Jo.
Quote:
Originally Posted by fertygo View Post
Ah I can't see it anymore
I think that was the point. It says

Quote:
Not Found

Sorry, but you are looking for something that isn't here.
Old 2010-10-31, 15:26   Link #2524
Used Can

My take on the apparent change in the characters' personalities is not that they are out of character, but we've been shown a different situation, and different development, and thus, the characters evolve and show another possible behaviour. Of course, Asuka was rather different, even before any development took place, but taking into account the amount of movies there are and the pacing they are taking, I guess that's something that couldn't be helped, for better or worse. Personally, I love this Asuka, but I guess I can understand why many of Asuka's fans can be upset. Not only them, but the people who may have expected a more depressing or apocalyptic atmosphere as well. But, all the same, there are still 2 more movies to come, which, I guess, will involved character development - which, may, or may not, resemble that of the series' (I have to point out, though, that it may stray from it even more as well) - in addition to a possible change in mood.

In my opinion, the best way to watch these movies, rather than expecting them to be the same as the anime series, is just to take them for what they are, even if they are rather different on several aspects.
Old 2010-10-31, 16:23   Link #2525
Reckoner
Bittersweet Distractor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Used Can View Post
In my opinion, the best way to watch these movies, rather than expecting them to be the same as the anime series, is just to take them for what they are, even if they are rather different on several aspects.
They are clearly banking on old fandom catching fire. Rebuild 1.0 was literally a polished carbon copy of the original's first 6 episodes or so. The cast, and setting basically exactly the same.

You cannot expect people to be able to detach the two in their viewings.
Old 2010-10-31, 17:59   Link #2526
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reckoner View Post
It's easily done.
Old 2010-10-31, 18:01   Link #2527
Archon_Wing
On a mission
*Author

Send a message via MSN to Archon_Wing
But not for everyone.

Avatar/Sig courtesy of TheEroKing
Guild Wars 2 SN: ArchonWing.9480
MyAnimeList || Reviews
Archon_Wing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-10-31, 18:42   Link #2528
BetoJR
A blast from the past
*Artist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archon_Wing View Post
But not for everyone.
The contrary also applies.

BetoJR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-10-31, 19:22   Link #2529
Reckoner
Bittersweet Distractor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiroth View Post
It's easily done.
While I disagree with this assessment, it's not relevant to my point.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BetoJR View Post
The contrary also applies.
Huh? I don't see what the contrary is here.
Old 2010-11-01, 02:16   Link #2530
Used Can

Quote:
The problem is that the sales of the movie seem to be rather good, along with the fan reception. Most fans (old and new) seem to have been pleased by both movies so far. So, I think most fans were able to detach the way in how the view both things.
Old 2010-11-01, 03:26   Link #2531
Reckoner
Bittersweet Distractor

Quote:
The problem is that the sales of the movie seem to be rather good, along with the fan reception. Most fans (old and new) seem to have been pleased by both movies so far. So, I think most fans were able to detach the way in how the view both things.
1. I never stated that people can't, just that you can't expect people to do so.

2. Yeah, it's popular opinion. Doesn't mean anything to me. I also believe that the old fans are very divided on the Rebuild movies from what I can tell.
Old 2010-11-01, 04:36   Link #2532
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

Quote:
I also believe that the old fans are very divided on the Rebuild movies from what I can tell.
Honestly about 97% of old school Evangelion fans i've spoke to about the two Rebuild films loved it. Are you just ignoring those people?
Old 2010-11-01, 05:14   Link #2533
BetoJR
A blast from the past
*Artist

People see what they want to see, dude. And some are just contrarian for contrarianism's sake - or "popular opinion" envy of some sort.

I find it funny, tho, that those same people cannot accept other's views. It's a very interesting sort of behavior. Kinda boring, most often, actually.

Old 2010-11-01, 11:08   Link #2534
DragoZERO
Spoilaphobic

Well, I love both the original series and the movies - and that's all that matters.

Feel the love!
Old 2010-11-01, 13:44   Link #2535
Used Can

Personally, the only people I've seen who truly dislike Rebuild are the purists and hardcore Asuka fans (I'm using the term "hardcore" because not all Asuka fans dislike Rebuild). In addition to those, again, in my own experience, both groups are vocal minorities.
Old 2010-11-01, 14:41   Link #2536
Archon_Wing
On a mission
*Author

Send a message via MSN to Archon_Wing
Quote:
Honestly about 97% of old school Evangelion fans i've spoke to about the two Rebuild films loved it. Are you just ignoring those people?
Well, since none of them are in the thread, it's kinda hard to acknowledge them. On the other hand, this just becomes your ancedote vs my ancedote, so that's kinda pointless.

Quote:
People see what they want to see, dude. And some are just contrarian for contrarianism's sake - or "popular opinion" envy of some sort.

I find it funny, tho, that those same people cannot accept other's views. It's a very interesting sort of behavior. Kinda boring, most often, actually.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Argumentum_ad_populum

Whether the majority or minority holds an opinion on something should not credit or discredit someone's opinion. Just because a lot of people liked it doesn't mean it's great; conversely the majority isn't automatically wrong either. Therefore, it should have no relevance to this discussion.

But honestly, using vague examples of people and generalizing them doesn't seem very open minded either, especially when it seems like you're addressing a nearby post. That's what we'd call a straw man

Unless of course you decided to share with us that for no real reason, in that case I sincerely apologize.

Quote:
Personally, the only people I've seen who truly dislike Rebuild are the purists and hardcore Asuka fans (I'm using the term "hardcore" because not all Asuka fans dislike Rebuild). In addition to those, again, in my own experience, both groups are vocal minorities.
From what I've seen, it seems to be people who liked the original show (liked, not really loved) that think it's some kind of money grab. Not that I agree with that.

Avatar/Sig courtesy of TheEroKing
Guild Wars 2 SN: ArchonWing.9480
MyAnimeList || Reviews
Archon_Wing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-11-01, 14:59   Link #2537
BetoJR
A blast from the past
*Artist

Archon Wing, I'm not really interested in debating or referencing argumentative positions (these terms like "straw man" actually make me cringe). My posts were simply intended to offer my own opinion in the matter and - as you point out as well - to illustrate that no single view is absolute (like the whole "you cannot expect people" quip, that I read on a quote posted by Shiroth).

Please note that I did not single out anyone before, as I wasn't really directing my response to any one individual, but rather stating my view in a more general manner.

Also, I agree with you about the money grab part. Personally, I think some people simply exaggerate too much - this is a business, money is always involved.

Old 2010-11-01, 15:03   Link #2538
Reckoner
Bittersweet Distractor

Quote:
I'm not ignoring these people. If anything I feel like you are ignoring what really isn't a small amount of dissenters to the Rebuild series.

But like I said, this is entirely irrelevant. The main point here which you still have no answer for is "you can't expect people to detach the two in their viewings." Is that clear enough?

Quote:
It's perfectly fine to duck out of a conversation and say I am going to have nothing to do with you. But honestly, your behavior is laughable. You continue to read my posts, and you continue to post snide comments about them. I'm not quite sure how this is having nothing to do with me.

Furthermore, I think your statement is hypocritical. Have I ever once insulted people for liking Rebuild? No. On the contrary, people have continually been very snarky about the negative opinions on Rebuild.

I'm still waiting for you to get off your perch and try to actually have a discussion rather than throwing in a comment and then running away (You're pretty guilty of this too Shiroth ).
Old 2010-11-01, 15:23   Link #2539
DragoZERO
Spoilaphobic

You know...I loved the first two movies and have things I like more in the TV series and vice versa. Feel the love for the series guys, the love.

[/bomb diffuser]
Old 2010-11-01, 17:05   Link #2540
Dextro
He Without a Title

Quote:
Originally Posted by DragoZERO View Post
You know...I loved the first two movies and have things I like more in the TV series and vice versa. Feel the love for the series guys, the love.

[/bomb diffuser]
This. Just take rebuild as what it is: a retelling that doesn't quite follow the same path as the original, an alternate universe so to speak. I'll grant you that Mari and Asuka have become severely weakened characters due to the lack of time in the second movie but I'll wait till the third to take my conclusions.

Tags
movie, remake