AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired M-Z > Monster

Notices

Old 2006-12-24, 05:02   Link #281
Muddle!

Send a message via AIM to Muddle!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vertix View Post
A couple of friends says that I should check this out because I love Thrillers/Mystery movie/animes and that this Anime was similar to Death Note. I Checked Animenfo and the genre of this Anime says that it's a drama??? wtf??. So what genre is this, and if it's a mystery, is it as good as Death Note (for those that read the manga/watching the anime).

Thanks.
It's genre is a mix of thriller/mystery/psychological/drama and I will agree with your friends and recommend you to watch it. I prefer it over Death Note personally because I find most of the characters much more interesting in this series. However it is not as fast paced as deathnote and does start out somewhat slow, but once it picks up I couldn't stop watching it. Hope that helped.
Muddle! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-12-28, 23:43   Link #282
eris_sama

I've read both Death Note and Monster manga and have seen all of Monster and a few eps of Death Note. Monster anime is almost exactly the same as the manga and Death Note seems like it will be too. So based on that... I would say Monster got stronger as the story progresses but Death Note got weaker. I found the Monster ending to be more satisfying overall. Both are great series. I wouldn't classify either as mystery but as psychological thrillers/drama.
eris_sama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-09-16, 20:45   Link #283
blumoon

I just started watching this, I am on episode 16 I think, but it is so compelling. I could spend days straight just watching this show, even though it is so long. Does it continue to be just as great down the road?
blumoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-09-17, 14:51   Link #284
JubeiYamazaki

Send a message via AIM to JubeiYamazaki
Yes, this series DOES NOT disappoint and I highly, HIGHLY recommend 20th Century Boys that's by the same mangaka as MONSTER (Naoki Urasawa) its not an anime yet, but the manga is finished up and its on the same level as MONSTER in terms of being drawn into the plot and characters, although MONSTER is more pyschological and "deeper" 20thCB just like MONSTER are both highly well written pieces of comic literature.
JubeiYamazaki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-10-15, 14:52   Link #285
Freeze

New to the Monster series

I started watching monster recently, im up to ep 2 and well I checked out the show on wikipedia and well I read that johan, the boy that Tenma saved is the killer so will that like completley ruin the series for me?
Freeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-10-15, 14:55   Link #286
Matrim
Naysayer?Fanboy?Wiseacre?

Er, wasn't it obvious from the start that Johan was the killer? Anyway, it's explicitely stated in the anime very soon after epsiode 2 (I think in ep.4), so no, this spoiler will not ruin the series for you.

Matrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-29, 09:11   Link #287
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

I've been rewatching Monster with my daughter as she finishes the last half of the series.

I must say I thought the second Grimmer episode (#41 I believe) where he confronts the former Director of 511 Kinderheim in Prague might be the best single episode in the entire show. Unlike the rest of Monster, this episode tells a complete story in single episode, and in that one episode many of the main themes of Monster are portrayed, particularly the problem of discerning good and evil in a world of shadows.

Of course, the fact that Grimmer is one of the most compelling characters in the entire show helps a lot.
SeijiSensei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-05-24, 13:55   Link #288
xris
Just call me Ojisan

As announced in this forum, the Monster forum has been retired. This is just a natural part of a forum's lifespan. It has been a while since the new episodes of the show were aired. Over the time since then, the show has seen a great reduction of posting and attention. As a result, it is no longer meaningful to have a gadzillion threads to discuss the show.

This thread is one of the few remaining where discussion can still be posted. By concentrating discussion into a few threads it may be possible to actually have a semblance of interaction once more. Please continue to show Monster your enjoyment interest in these threads.
xris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-06-04, 21:15   Link #289
wwevijay

Monster...Boring?

I am on Monster episode 06. It seems dead boring to me. Is there something that will make me unbored later on? Or should I just quit?
wwevijay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-06-04, 21:31   Link #290
BearShare
I'm a commin'
*Graphic Designer

Pace yourself. Watch it in between other shows instead of marathon'ing it.
And the first 4 or so episodes were'nt my cup of tea either. Later ones are better once you know a bit more of the plot.
BearShare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-06-04, 22:53   Link #291
yezhanquan
Observer/Bookman wannabe

First few episodes are to set up the story. Also, be prepared for "character of the day" episodes.
yezhanquan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-06-04, 23:02   Link #292
sa547
*Author

Tried watching Monster on the tube (it's being aired as a Tagalog dub on Hero TV Philippines), then realized that I have to start from the beginning in order to appreciate it completely.
Old 2008-06-04, 23:46   Link #293
Westlo
Lets be reality

I enjoyed it from the start but Nina Fortner certainly brightened things up, I really need to continue on from where I stopped with this show..
Westlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-06-05, 00:04   Link #294
DragoonKain3
Osana-Najimi Shipper

Just too bad Nina is absent half the episodes one cour into the series...

Yes its YOU childhood friend - source of BERZERKER RAGE since forever
Childhood Friend couple STATISTICS(spoilers abound though)
DragoonKain3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-06-13, 23:05   Link #295
lazyman

I read the manga which was as much of a drag in the beginning and since this anime was adopted almost exactly like the manga(which is a good thing) it shares the same slow pace. However I think that develops the story more. I like how everything is weaved together how all characters are somehow interrelated.
lazyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-07-08, 10:33   Link #296
lupus6x9

I'm addicted to this show, and I've started watching it. Haven't got the manga yet, since almost all manga is so incredibly expensive in America. But the show is great, and I'm paranoid of any fansite that might spontaneously spoil the ending for me (I was actually afraid to sign up here at first). I'm only about ten episodes in after about a month, because I'm too busy to watch it all the time. Dr. Tenma is cool. Too bad people keep dying around him. Not too lucky.
lupus6x9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-07-25, 20:30   Link #297
ElPadre

I've seen the anime only once but with all the excessive character designs and mini-stories I'm sure gonna read the manga to clear some things up.
ElPadre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-11-08, 18:02   Link #298
mrsticky005
Banned

Since I can't post in the Monster movie thread cuz someone locked it I'm going to post here.
Who do you guys think should be casted in the monster movie.

I think this no-namer http://www.onemanga.com/Monster/88/00/
could be casted by this big namer http://www.imdb.com/media/rm613783296/nm0000285

What do you guys think?

Another Monster casting

Viggo Mortensen as http://www.imdb.com/media/rm3768554496/nm0001557
Franz Bonaparta http://www.onemanga.com/Monster/159/05/

Last edited by mrsticky005; 2008-11-11 at 19:13.
mrsticky005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-11-29, 07:35   Link #299
sangofe

Omg, I didn't know Monster was getting a live action!!
As for the anime... What's up? Wasn't monster licensed ? I was waiting for the r1 dvds...
sangofe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-11-29, 08:57   Link #300
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

There are licensing rumors from time to time, but no, Monster is not yet licensed in R1. Viz has been touting the series to broadcasters outside Japan this year. Viz also owns the DVD rights but hasn't announced any plans to make an R1 release. I suspect it's just too long and too serious for an R1 release.
SeijiSensei is offline   Reply With Quote