AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Reviews & Recommendations

Notices

Old 2012-07-16, 16:05   Link #1
Alen

Death Note, Code Geass, and now...

Steins Gate. Just finished watching it and I gotta say its in my top 3 along with those two. Its true that Steins Gate took a while to get going, but I think ultimately it shares some similarities with Death Note and Code Geass.

What really drew me in to these shows was the amazing characters, realistically depicted emotional scenes, and a plot that constantly kept you guessing as to what was going to happen next. Also, the characters had to overcome impossible odds to achieve their goals and a feeling of urgency (especially in Steins Gate) really added to the intensity. The sci fi settings (not so much Death Note I guess) are a huge plus.

SO...hit me with as much quality anime as possible that gives of the same "feel" as these three, keeping in mind why I liked them so much.

Thanks!
Alen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-16, 16:37   Link #2
MUAHAHAHAHAHA
Hail the power of Fujoshi

I would say that Noein hits the mark. Karasu is a character whose desperation throughout the series makes him one of the most pitiful anime characters. There are a few surprising twist and revelation that makes the series unpredictable.

Old stuff but just a reminder that butthurt report form is here to help
MUAHAHAHAHAHA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-16, 16:39   Link #3
Kirito
Enjoying Snack Time!

Send a message via MSN to Kirito
Why don't you give Puella Magi Madoka Magica, Fate/Zero, Angel Beats, and Phantom: Requiem of the Phantom a shot. I'm sure they have what you're looking for. So what do you think?

Oh yes, would you also make a small list of anime you've watched just so the people who're recommending things won't sound like broken records.
Old 2012-07-16, 17:22   Link #4
Kimidori
The Opened Ultimate Gate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirito View Post
Why don't you give Puella Magi Madoka Magica, Fate/Zero, Angel Beats, and Phantom: Requiem of the Phantom a shot. I'm sure they have what you're looking for. So what do you think?

Oh yes, would you also make a small list of anime you've watched just so the people who're recommending things won't sound like broken records.
seconding this post
Old 2012-07-16, 17:23   Link #5
Alen

I've seen Phantom, and I loved it for the most part. Not quite on the level of my big 3, however. And actually, I just realized another important aspect I think...the confident male main character, which might be one of the reasons I didn't like Madoka too much (seen 4 episodes).

PS - The reason I don't list the anime I've seen is because people seem to always confuse the "anime I've seen" with "type of anime I'm looking for." Sooo...I'll just say what I've seen as we go

Edit: And, I guess if I was to go off the bolded part, Angel Beats is out of the question. Perhaps Noein, too? (12 year old, and he looks whiny)

Last edited by Alen; 2012-07-16 at 17:28. Reason: adding
Old 2012-07-17, 15:35   Link #6
arachni42

Those are a hard big 3 to live up to. Well, I haven't seen Steins;Gate yet myself, but based on what I've heard I am 90% sure I will love it. I'm a big fan of CG/DN.

I think Eden of the East has what you're looking for. A good amount of suspense, clever male lead, and people constantly trying to outwit each other. The only thing is, it's on the shorter side. 11 episodes, then a pair of movies that completes the story.

I'm sure you've already got some familiarity with Fullmetal Alchemist, but I'll throw it in anyway. It didn't grab me as much as CG/DN, but it's solid. Along the same lines I'll mention Darker Than Black and Gurren Lagann.

Trigun is worth seeing. It's lower on the "urgency" side and starts out practically a comedy (later things get serious), but the male main character is a VERY determined one. It's a sci-fi western.

You could try Baccano! You never know what to expect from it, and it's got about as many characters as CG in a quarter of the episodes. Confident male main character -- just try to pick one. It doesn't have a sci-fi setting (it's 1930s NY with supernatural elements).

Because it's one of my favorites, I'll throw in the fairy tale deconstruction Princess Tutu. I don't think it has the same "feel" as CG/DN per se, but it's awesome anyway. It's not as suspenseful as Madoka, but it does have a really confident and determined male main character (one of the major draws of the series for me)... though I think it takes 7-8 episodes to start to see it. The plot seems formulaic for the first few episodes, then it gets going, especially in the second season. I think it has more convincing emotional scenes than Madoka.

I've heard good things about Monster and Fate/Zero (such that I am inclined to feel that they are good recommendations) but I haven't seen them yet.
arachni42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-17, 22:00   Link #7
leokiko

Darker than Black and Fate/Zero are the best recommendations I could give you, based on what I have watched.
leokiko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-17, 23:16   Link #8
totoum
Me at work

Send a message via MSN to totoum
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alen View Post
amazing characters, realistically depicted emotional scenes, and a plot that constantly kept you guessing as to what was going to happen next.

When you say this Monster comes to mind right away
Another is maybe Shiki , there's multiple protagonists in this one,the 1st episode is misleading because it's told from a female's character POV but in the following episodes the protagonists tend to be male.
Old 2012-07-18, 00:16   Link #9
supermegasonic

another anime that goes perfectly with the above 3 is Kaiji a very realistic and highly psychological anime. just don't let their noses get to you, you wont care about them becuz of the intense plot
Old 2012-07-18, 10:50   Link #10
Alen

I've seen Darker Than Black, Kaiji, and FMA and you're right, they pretty much fulfill the criteria. While not as good (for me) as 'the three' they were still very enjoyable. I've just started watching Fate/Zero and after that I might go with Monster or something.

Thanks for the suggestions
Old 2012-07-19, 20:38   Link #11
UnderworldKing
LOVE AND PEACE!!!

Black butler is one of my favorites, very interesting and the backstory to the butler is awesome! Elfen lied was also an amazing "dark" anime, my all time favorite. I second Darker than Black and Trigun. And I loved angel beats as well

Kanade for the win!!!
UnderworldKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-20, 10:31   Link #12
Alen

Fate/Zero is good, but mostly for the few badass fights between the (badass) servants. It didn't really give me the same feel as the three I mentioned. I've seen Elfen Lied and I liked it, I guess it could fall in the same category. As it stands the order is still like this:

1. Steins Gate
1. Death Note
1. Code Geass
2. Phantom

The rest (still good):

Elfen Lied
Kaiji
Darker Than Black
FMA
Fate/Zero
Baccano (not a fan of the setting)

So, I guess I'll try Monster even though I'm not a fan of crime/detective stories whatsoever.
Old 2012-07-20, 16:03   Link #13
Forsaken_Infinity

Monster isn't a crime or a detective story. There are elements of that but it's not the primary focus.

And Death note is a crime and a detective story. It gives those elements primary focus for the most part.

???
Old 2012-07-21, 00:35   Link #14
arachni42

You could also give One Outs a shot. It has a dark atmosphere and Death-Note-like battling of wits, along with high-stakes gambling like Kaiji. I mention it because it's been in discussions about Kaiji and Akagi. Personally, I dropped it after 3 episodes because all but one character seemed flat, the dialogue did nothing for me, and it seemed predictable. But, some people really like it.
arachni42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-21, 01:26   Link #15
supermegasonic

im actually watching one outs rite and now it IS like kaiji. if you liked kaiji like i did that this will also be enjoyable
Old 2012-07-21, 15:46   Link #16
Alen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forsaken_Infinity View Post
Monster isn't a crime or a detective story. There are elements of that but it's not the primary focus.

And Death note is a crime and a detective story. It gives those elements primary focus for the most part.

???
I wouldnt call Death Note a conventional detective story by any means...at least it didnt feel that way to me. Monster did give me that vibe at first glance, though. I am through the first 3 episodes and I'm not terribly hooked, but I'll continue watching it.
Old 2012-08-01, 03:44   Link #17
XxDarkonxX

My favorite series look much like yours do and I am always in search of the next Code Geass or Death Note.

My biggest recommendation, knowing you enjoy those two as much as myself, is Hikaru no Go. Watch a few episodes in- you won't be disappointed. While it doesn't have that "deep world-is-ending plot" it does have every psychological aspect of the two previously mentioned animes. The battles on the board are just as complex as the battles in a war and you may find that, after finishing the series, you want to pick up the game yourself. And I would be lying if I said that there is a lack of emotional moments in the series. Trust me- it's a good choice.
XxDarkonxX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-02, 13:54   Link #18
VampirePaladin

If you like the combination of amazing characters, emotional scenes and great plot then I highly recommend Red Garden. I am watching it right now and I am shocked tht I never found this gem before. It is unique in that it was the first anime to record the voices first and then animate to match them. It also takes place in New York City and is visually amazing.

http://www.hulu.com/red-garden
VampirePaladin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-05, 08:07   Link #19
kitten320

Rainbow: Nisha Rokubou no Shichinin

Not sci-fi but it has realistic characters who have to go through a lot of shit in realistic setting.