Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Current Series > One Piece

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2009-04-17, 16:01   Link #321
Prestige

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kafriel View Post
Yeah I know, it's just that we've been on this topic for...weeks? Can't wait for the next chapter,I need my weekly fix
Tell me about it... one more week for replenishment and then real HELL begins
Old 2009-04-17, 17:02   Link #322
Sazelyt
Μ ε r c ü r υ

Continuing the recent trend of posting off-topic lines:

Interestingly, the difference between latest One Piece and Naruto chapter numbers keeps decreasing (it was more than 100 not so long ago). Kishi must be really enjoying the recent developments to not have a need for a long break. Or maybe Oda is working much harder to maintain the quality of his story above a certain level, while Kishi was saying "who cares, I definitely not".
Old 2009-04-17, 17:08   Link #323
Phenomenal
Banned

Send a message via AIM to Phenomenal
It's called not taking breaks, Oda gets more breaks than a Kit-Kat bar.
Oda got more breaks and still can't get up to Kishi's level of hype this year...
Old 2009-04-17, 17:45   Link #324
Wolcik

Send a message via MSN to Wolcik
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fipskuul View Post

Interestingly, the difference between latest One Piece and Naruto chapter numbers keeps decreasing (it was more than 100 not so long ago). Kishi must be really enjoying the recent developments to not have a need for a long break. Or maybe Oda is working much harder to maintain the quality of his story above a certain level, while Kishi was saying "who cares, I definitely not".
What Kishi is making recently is building so much additional time to anime, but letting Naruto flashback at least half time each chapter Oo
Old 2009-04-17, 17:57   Link #325
james0246

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fipskuul View Post

Why are you comparing Naruto and One Piece, as well (only go the opposite route of Phenomenal)?

Additionally, One Pece was on, about, Chapter 80-85 (therebouts) when Naruto was relesed (back in 1999). And during Kishimoto's break inbetween Part I and Part II, Oda added another 20 or so chapters. Since then, Oda has always stayed about a 100 chapters ahead of Kishimoto.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phenomenal View Post
Oda got more breaks and still can't get up to Kishi's level of hype this year...
LOL, what is with your insatiable need to constantly compare Naruto and One Piece...

Kishimoto took 6 or so months off in between Part I and Part II, not to mention he only does 16-17 pages per week (of which transitional chapters, routinely, contain some form of flashback). Oda, on the other hand, takes a break once every 2 months or so (and he has never taken an extensive break), and routinely produces chapters 18-19 pages in length (and at least once every 3-4 months he also draws a colour cover page for the chapter). So, there workloads are a bit different from each other...

(Added to that, Oda kind of wrote a movie over this past year, and that takes up quite a bit of time...)

Last edited by james0246; 2009-04-17 at 18:09.
Old 2009-04-17, 18:00   Link #326
AceD
See You En' Tee

Quote:
most things that get hyped, are over-rated, Kishi and Naruto are a good example
Old 2009-04-17, 18:02   Link #327
Phenomenal
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by james0246 View Post
LOL, what is with your insatiable need to constantly compare Naruto and One Piece...
You mean other people right? Cause I didn't bring it up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AceD
most things that get hyped, are over-rated, Kishi and Naruto are a good example
This is a falsehood.
Old 2009-04-17, 18:12   Link #328
Ermes Marana

Yeah, it is a pointless comparison. One Piece and Naruto are both excellent, but they are totally different story types. I wouldn't want either to follow the examples of the other. Even though I am enjoying Naruto more at the moment I still wouldn't want One Piece to be doing things like Naruto... different stories should be told differently.

Instead of comparing them, let's celebrate what brings us together: our common hatred of Bleach.
Old 2009-04-17, 18:22   Link #329
Master Mold
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ermes Marana View Post
Instead of comparing them, let's celebrate what brings us together: our common hatred of Bleach.
.......................Oda's color pages suck.
Old 2009-04-17, 18:27   Link #330
james0246

Quote:
Originally Posted by JINBEI View Post
.......................Oda's color pages suck.
LOL, can't really argue that . I can't really say that Kishimoto's colour pages are any better (considering the fact that his colour pallet is stuck in the "deep" range), though. Actually, I generally like Kubo's colour images the best (I think the Bleach characters look better in colour, while the One Piece and Naruto characters look better in monochrome).
Old 2009-04-17, 18:34   Link #331
Sazelyt
Μ ε r c ü r υ

Quote:
Why are you comparing Naruto and One Piece, as well (only go the opposite route of Phenomenal)?
Just contributing to the extremely off-topic content, nothing more nothing less. No ulterior motives to trash Kishi while praising Oda.

Quote:
Additionally, One Pece was on, about, Chapter 80-85 (therebouts) when Naruto was relesed (back in 1999). And during Kishimoto's break inbetween Part I and Part II, Oda added another 20 or so chapters. Since then, Oda has always stayed about a 100 chapters ahead of Kishimoto.
I didn't check the difference before I pushed my existence onto the manga world. But, after that, I think the difference shrank close to 15 chapters or so within that period.
Old 2009-04-17, 18:37   Link #332
Master Mold
Banned

Quote:
LOL, can't really argue that . I can't really say that Kishimoto's colour pages are any better (considering the fact that his colour pallet is stuck in the "deep" range), though. Actually, I generally like Kubo's colour images the best (I think the Bleach characters look better in colour, while the One Piece and Naruto characters look better in monochrome).
Has Oda ever colored chapter pages?
Old 2009-04-17, 18:58   Link #333
james0246

Quote:
Originally Posted by JINBEI View Post
Has Oda ever colored chapter pages?
I'm not sure off the top of my head...I do know that Oda develops elaborate colour cover pages which always feature the entire crew in going on strange adventures together, but I cannpt immediatly recall if Oda has ever done full pages in colour before.
Old 2009-04-17, 19:23   Link #334
Wolcik

Send a message via MSN to Wolcik
Since there is still one week wait, Off-Topic is Alright XD

I used to say that Bleach was better than Naruto, untill two chapters back Oo

Naruto really has a lot of flashbacks, and as I loved the series when I saw Sasuke facing Itachi I thought to myself too much fanservice here boys, and I never looked at what Kishi makes the same way.

!Comparing One Piece to Naruto!: Naruto focused on Sasuke's story while One Piece follows its main character to the point that we don't know what his friends are doing, and are they even alive...

Right now I feel like any successful mangaka wants to test his fans by doing something stupid and see will people still follow his story.
Like kill off/lose main character that had hours of character development(e.gGantz).
Making fillers that breaks flow.
and most evil crime there is: Sacrifice the story for fanservice.
Old 2009-04-17, 20:13   Link #335
Phenomenal
Banned

Quote:
let's celebrate what brings us together: our common hatred of Bleach.
You just broke me apart of this fellowship....You have bad taste.

Last edited by Phenomenal; 2009-04-17 at 20:33.
Old 2009-04-17, 22:00   Link #336
james0246

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolcik View Post
!Comparing One Piece to Naruto!: Naruto focused on Sasuke's story while One Piece follows its main character to the point that we don't know what his friends are doing, and are they even alive...
Actually we cannot even use this as a point of comparison. The Sasuke arc had been set-up since the 3rd or 4th Chapter of Naruto, whereas the separation of the crew occurred only 20 or so chapters ago. So, there is no real set-up that would require for Oda to do anything more than what he has already done (which is show the crew in their various other locations).

That being said, there is more than sufficient reason to show more of the Whitebeard War than has already been shown. Ostensibly, Oda is withholding this info because he wants to build suspense, but he has probably gone overboard by withholding too much of the info for too long (as Phenomenal (and others) is so fond of complaining about .
Old 2009-04-17, 22:03   Link #337
Phenomenal
Banned

Quote:
That being said, there is more than sufficient reason to show more of the Whitebeard War than has already been shown. Ostensibly, Oda is withholding this info because he wants to build suspense, but he has probably gone overboard by withholding too much of the info for too long (as Phenomenal (and others) is so fond of complaining about .
Love you too James.
Old 2009-04-17, 22:12   Link #338
Ermes Marana

Quote:
You just broke me apart of this fellowship....You have bad taste.
Fellowships always break apart. Sad but true. The downfall of Bleach is also sad but true.

Bleach has been good in the past and may be good in the future, but right now it is downright terrible.

In terms of world-building, character-developing, and story-progressing Bleach goes 0 for 3. The world feels fake, the characters ring false, and the story goes nowhere.

Naruto is very underrated at world-building, character-developing should be obvious right now, as well as story. One Piece is excellent at world-building, the highest points of the manga are character revelations, and the only issue with the story is that the manga can't come out fast enough.

If you like one-sided pointless battles that do nothing but give fanservice to certain fans, then you might like Bleach currently. Otherwise you just have to grit your teeth and power through it, in the hope that eventually it gets back on track.
Old 2009-04-17, 22:15   Link #339
Phenomenal
Banned

Take that to the Bleach discussion thread cause it seems you don't understand what you are reading.^^^
Old 2009-04-17, 22:30   Link #340
Sazelyt
Μ ε r c ü r υ

Quote:
In terms of world-building, character-developing, and story-progressing Bleach goes 0 for 3. The world feels fake, the characters ring false, and the story goes nowhere.
I actually see Bleach as the old Russian movies. A scene that would look awfully silly and simple in an American movie would carry a lot more deepness to it in the Russian one. Bleach looks definitely simple if you just look at the drawing, and think no ahead. But it actually makes the reader think a lot more because it doesn't look at the reader as a 10-year old. It asks you to build the world yourself.
Closed Thread