AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Music

Notices

Old 2007-09-23, 15:07   Link #101
zakopayne

Yeah gorillaz has times that they rap, im not sure quite what they would be classified as though.
zakopayne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-09-23, 15:47   Link #102
xxxplizit
triple-echhi

Send a message via AIM to xxxplizit Send a message via MSN to xxxplizit Send a message via Yahoo to xxxplizit
Quote:
Originally Posted by zakopayne View Post
Yeah gorillaz has times that they rap, im not sure quite what they would be classified as though.
I'm pretty sure it's Alternative Hip-Hop.
Old 2007-11-25, 02:01   Link #103
Tommy
Mr. Prince

Just got finished listening to the new Wu Tang - 8 diagrams and it's bad, even worse then The W which was IMO their worst album before this.

Ghostface's new album I hope won't disappoint as much as this album did. But it's Ghostface so I'm not too worried.

An interesting article I just found too.

Wu-Tang Vs Rza, "You Don't Rob Your Friends... You Might As Well Be Pimpin' Me," Says Rakewon
Thursday - November 8, 2007

Raekwon is so unhappy with Rza's direction with the new Wu-Tang Clan album that he threatened to release another Wu album without fellow member Rza.

In a recent interview with Hip-Hop personality Miss Info, Rae said that he and the other members of Wu are very unhappy with Rza's heavy guitar-layden beats on the group's upcoming comeback disc, 8 Diagrams. So much so that they will come out with a follow-up album if changes aren't made to this one, or of it's not permanently shelved.

"Rza's tryin to create too much of a orchestra, piano ...he's trying to do too much of this guitar @#!* like he got a guitar on his @#*$ing back," Raekwon said. "We don't want that and the fans don't know us for that." [Watch Here]

Rae said the rift began with musical critiques by the group members of Rza's new sound.

"'This is a new sound trust me.,I know where I'm at and I'm the Rza, just trust me,'" Rae said Rza told the group. "No, we're not trusting you because we're not walkin outta the studio happy. It's his vibe. He's like a hip-hop hippie right now."

After much back and forth, According to Raekwon, Rza still refused to change the music.

"Now it's to the point where it's like, yo B, I'm not havin it ... I'm not cosigning that," Rae said. "If you got seven or eight brothers telling you blah, blah, blah, you gotta take heed to that. You been out-voted, B."

But at this point, the group is already over budget and the album is pretty much finished. Though Rae said nobody's happy with the project except Rza, it looks like it will hit the street as is. If that happens, Rae said he and the other members will release Shaolin vs Wutang, a response album without Rza.
Tommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-11-25, 05:39   Link #104
Jyukai.
~In a Music Box~

Send a message via MSN to Jyukai.
Sometimes it isn't a bad idea to split. Rza's direction in music has obviously changed now. They should either compromise or release an album without him. Its that simple. Fans will have to choose if they want members of Wu to collab together again, or they want the familiar style of Wu. To me, I'd rather have the latter...
Jyukai. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-12-12, 19:46   Link #105
SilentKnight
Yukio Sumadera Fan

Lupe Fiasco's latest album The Cool is made of fucking epic win. Run, walk, drive, fly, crawl, etc to the store to buy it, steal it, etc.
Old 2007-12-12, 21:32   Link #106
Racketman

Would I get mauled to death for liking MC Frontalot?
Racketman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-12-13, 04:42   Link #107
Jyukai.
~In a Music Box~

Send a message via MSN to Jyukai.
Lol.
Its your preference, even if millions say he's a shitty rapper. Different opinions..
Jyukai. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-12-13, 18:53   Link #108
Shadow Raven 91
She's a Genius I swear it

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilentKnight View Post
Lupe Fiasco's latest album The Cool is made of fucking epic win. Run, walk, drive, fly, crawl, etc to the store to buy it, steal it, etc.
Cool, I'll check it out when they release it on itunes. I would like to say after reading this tread i decided to check out Deltron 3030 and I was completely blown away. I remember positive contact from Tony Hawk underground but i had no clue who it was. IMO it's up there with Operation Doomsday. Del is now one of my favorite rappers.
Old 2007-12-15, 10:31   Link #109
aka Providence
(; ,;) fthagn

Send a message via AIM to aka Providence Send a message via Yahoo to aka Providence
mm, to be honest, before lurking around this thread, i didn't care for rap and/or hip-hop. following the suggestions of you guys on what to listen, i was honestly pleasantly surprised to find myself being very interested on the genre.

in a nutshell, i love both metal (five or six years and still running), rock, and now rap (i'm a bit of a noob; but i really like the stuff i don't hear on radio). personally, i think the argument of rap/metal being better than the other is very silly (lame if i want to be blunt). metal and rap are two different things, and both of them having pros and cons.

at metal:
pros: in my opinion, metal uses more (or at least has a high focus) on instrumentals. it's not much metal if you only have vocals, after all. sometimes you don't need to focus on lyrical content, and sometimes it is hard to understand the singing when it's basically screaming (children of bodom), or lyrics you can't really connect with (dragonforce).
cons: at its worst, screaming, and then lyrical content (violence, anger, stuff that you don't want little cildren to hear). i personally don't turn to music to channel my own emotions, but that doesn't mean people do the same thing.

ar rap/hip-hop:
pros: the lyrical content and vocals are more in focus, but the instrumentals add some depth in atmospere. the pace is sometimes slower compared to rock or metal (when you add the instruments in), but that doesn't remove that 'hardness' i like in metal.
cons: you (or at least myself) need to focus more in listening or understanding the lyrics. personally, it's also impossible for me to sing along to rap music, and i can't rock out (act like an idiot) as compared to when i listen to rock or metal.

in the end, i really have no idea what i'm talking about.
aka Providence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-12-30, 22:34   Link #110
SilentKnight
Yukio Sumadera Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by aka Providence View Post
mm, to be honest, before lurking around this thread, i didn't care for rap and/or hip-hop. following the suggestions of you guys on what to listen, i was honestly pleasantly surprised to find myself being very interested on the genre.

in a nutshell, i love both metal (five or six years and still running), rock, and now rap (i'm a bit of a noob; but i really like the stuff i don't hear on radio). personally, i think the argument of rap/metal being better than the other is very silly (lame if i want to be blunt). metal and rap are two different things, and both of them having pros and cons.

at metal:
pros: in my opinion, metal uses more (or at least has a high focus) on instrumentals. it's not much metal if you only have vocals, after all. sometimes you don't need to focus on lyrical content, and sometimes it is hard to understand the singing when it's basically screaming (children of bodom), or lyrics you can't really connect with (dragonforce).
cons: at its worst, screaming, and then lyrical content (violence, anger, stuff that you don't want little cildren to hear). i personally don't turn to music to channel my own emotions, but that doesn't mean people do the same thing.

ar rap/hip-hop:
pros: the lyrical content and vocals are more in focus, but the instrumentals add some depth in atmospere. the pace is sometimes slower compared to rock or metal (when you add the instruments in), but that doesn't remove that 'hardness' i like in metal.
cons: you (or at least myself) need to focus more in listening or understanding the lyrics. personally, it's also impossible for me to sing along to rap music, and i can't rock out (act like an idiot) as compared to when i listen to rock or metal.

in the end, i really have no idea what i'm talking about.

that's good, excellent to be exact
I started this thread solely for that purpose (granted life has been keeping me hecka busy so I'm not all that involved). This thread is here so that all the more experienced hip-hop/ rap listeners could come together, throw down their playlists, trade thoughts and opinions, and newcomers could come in, lurk, and ask for more if they liked what they were finding.

and I'm getting what you mean by you need to listen and understand what's being said so you can't really just go nuts and rock out. For me, I like being able to listen to the artist skillfully convey a message or tell a story, it has a value in itself.
Old 2007-12-31, 04:26   Link #111
babybro

I don't really see the point of people coming in here just to bash rap/hip hop. If you have no interest in rap/hip hop, there is no reason to be in here right? Maybe that's just my opinion.
As for me, unfornately I'm not a huge underground fan, mostly because I'm a huge beat fan. I'm more on the instrument side ordeal which is why I also like rock/metal. With that being stated, I think there is quite a few good hip hop artists out there. Chamillionaire latest album was great, going so far as even dissing al sharpton HAHA. I was a bit shocked when he didn't pull any punches, with the biggest titles being morning and evening news.

With that said, I will still rate these people as lyrically talented that most of the time does talk about issues and ordeals.

Eninem
Andre 3000
Big Boi (matter of fact, outkast lol)
Chamillionaire
Nas
Cannibus (even though I don't think he's really mainstream)
lil wayne (unfornately talks about mainstream crap mostly but can still throw a lyrical punch)
Ludacris (Same as above)
Busta Ryhmes (Same as previous 2)
babybro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-12-31, 10:28   Link #112
EXEs
Hallelujah...

Rap is quite fine in my books right now, but since I have fluctuating music tastes, my opinion may change in a few month's time ^^;;

I used to think that rap is basically fast talking over a beat track, and therefore had no skill. But now, as I listen, I can see that the lyrics of rap songs are pretty deep, more so than, say metal. And the beats are pretty appealing to me, like in Nelly's "Grillz".

But of course, some rappers and songs out there are pretty crap, even from a bystander's view. 50 Cent, most of his tracks, I find, are so...brainless. The content, vids, are mostly "dem hos, money, F** dat Sh!t, mah n!gg@s". Search "I Get Money" for a truly rubbish rap song from 2 quarters.

Last edited by EXEs; 2007-12-31 at 12:01.
EXEs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-12-31, 15:30   Link #113
Daughter!

Has anybody listened to Lupe Fiasco's The Cool yet? I haven't gotten the chance. If so, does it still pack the same punch as Food and Liquor/
Daughter! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-12-31, 19:06   Link #114
kadenza

Quote:
Originally Posted by EXEs View Post
Rap is quite fine in my books right now, but since I have fluctuating music tastes, my opinion may change in a few month's time ^^;;

I used to think that rap is basically fast talking over a beat track, and therefore had no skill. But now, as I listen, I can see that the lyrics of rap songs are pretty deep, more so than, say metal. And the beats are pretty appealing to me, like in Nelly's "Grillz".

But of course, some rappers and songs out there are pretty crap, even from a bystander's view. 50 Cent, most of his tracks, I find, are so...brainless. The content, vids, are mostly "dem hos, money, F** dat Sh!t, mah n!gg@s". Search "I Get Money" for a truly rubbish rap song from 2 quarters.
I Get Money was more of a statement then anything else imo, and a very well versed 1 at that.

as for beats, the beats these days suck, if u want beat look into rap music thats not crunk/hyphe esque and stuff pre 2004. Nowadays the musics more to accompy one while "wilin out" where as b4 the beats were truly bumping, but thats just my opinion.

P.s. pre crunk/hyphe and 04 rap music had more instrument emphasis too, e.g. flute solo in Lil ghetto boy by dre n snoop
kadenza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-01-01, 17:03   Link #115
SilentKnight
Yukio Sumadera Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pop-Punk Sucks View Post
Has anybody listened to Lupe Fiasco's The Cool yet? I haven't gotten the chance. If so, does it still pack the same punch as Food and Liquor/
i'd say it packs even more of a punch than Food And Liquor
Old 2008-01-02, 12:46   Link #116
ReizoSan
Make Your Move

Well you have to like Eminem then after that it would only be Chamillionaire because in his latest album he doesn't swear once because i always hate rappers keep swearing and the n word, they use it too much in songs and takes it away from the music.
Then Kanye West as i like his smooth style and good beats.
ReizoSan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-01-02, 22:50   Link #117
babybro

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReizoSan View Post
Well you have to like Eminem then after that it would only be Chamillionaire because in his latest album he doesn't swear once because i always hate rappers keep swearing and the n word, they use it too much in songs and takes it away from the music.
Then Kanye West as i like his smooth style and good beats.
Exactly, I was absolutely shocked when I listened to his entire album and didn't hear a single cuss word. I checked and see if I downloaded the clean version or something hahaha. Especially when you listen to the track rock star, because chamillionaire doesn't cuss in the song or even album, when lil wayne did his verse, he stuck out like a sore thumb imo. It was odd, and strangely distasteful lol.
babybro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-01-04, 02:10   Link #118
d.sinclair

thanks to silentknight for making this thread, i've been lurking it for awhile and i've picked up good stuff. really helps hip hop newbs like me get started with the genre.

incidentally, being the elitist classical geek that i was, i used to hate hip hop/rap, but my composer friend who is also a big hip hop fan convinced me that the genre has its own merits and it makes no sense to compare one genre of music to another. i also learned that it's actually pretty damn hard to make a beat, which i always took for granted in a song, and that beats and lyrics can get pretty complicated and deep. so yeah, now i'm getting into hip hop.

talking about mainstream, "mindless" tracks...yeah a lot of it sucks, but there's a reason why people like 50 cent are popular. you gotta give credit to the producers. a lot of mainstream stuff is really well produced, even if the artist or lyrics arent great. it takes skill to make crap popular...
d.sinclair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-01-04, 07:55   Link #119
ReizoSan
Make Your Move

Quote:
Originally Posted by babybro View Post
Exactly, I was absolutely shocked when I listened to his entire album and didn't hear a single cuss word. I checked and see if I downloaded the clean version or something hahaha. Especially when you listen to the track rock star, because chamillionaire doesn't cuss in the song or even album, when lil wayne did his verse, he stuck out like a sore thumb imo. It was odd, and strangely distasteful lol.
It made it feel awkward when he Lil Wayne said that, but i feel rappers only cuss or use the N word because they don't know how to rhyme the last sentence so its easier just doing that, Chamillionaire doesn't need to do it as his rhymes are very well thought of and go really well, obviously quite a few lines he does are geared towards the government but i think thats ok.

Quote:
talking about mainstream, "mindless" tracks...yeah a lot of it sucks, but there's a reason why people like 50 cent are popular. you gotta give credit to the producers. a lot of mainstream stuff is really well produced, even if the artist or lyrics arent great. it takes skill to make crap popular...
50 Cent just brought something different at the time to rap, he got away from other artist with his great beats and style, in my opinion look at most of the rappers now and they in some way have used 50's style, i thought of 50 as the new level for rap, but now there is more people breaking away from 50 and now his time has come to retire but he did make rap big even if you have him or love him.
I don't really like his rhymes they are userly pointless in my opinion, i go for people who bring something different to the table of rap, like M.O.P who use metal over rap etc...
ReizoSan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-01-09, 22:25   Link #120
.S2K
S2K is here.
*Graphic Designer

Send a message via MSN to .S2K
Lil' Wayne is...awesome...Dedication 2=Win on a official mixtape
Lupe Fiasco...monster
Kanye West...genius

But I don't listen to much stuff like Jim Jones, but the beats get me...

Some of my favorite rap/hip-pop CDs of all time

A Tribe Called Quest- Anthology
Beanie Sigel- The Solution
50 Cent- Get Rich or Die Tryin'
Jay-Z- Reasonable Doubt
Jay-Z- The Blueprint
Nas- Stillmatic
Nas-Illmatic
Clipse- Hell Hath No Fury
Lil' Wayne- Dedication II
Lil' Wayne- Tha Carter II
Lil' Wayne- Tha Drought III
Lupe Fiasco- Lupe Fiasco's Food and Liquor
Lupe Fiasco- Lupe Fiasco's The Cool
Kanye West- The College Dropout
Kanye West- Graduation
Young Jeezy- Let's Get It!: Thug Motivation 101
DJ Jazzy Jeff- Return of the Magnificent
Styles P- A Gangster and A Gentleman
The Roots- Things Fall Apart

50 Cent isn't really a rapper anymore imo...there isn't anything he's said that I haven't heard frequently on a "Shoot-em Up" mixtape/CD...At least if you're gonna say it, throw in a couple metaphors, like Lil' Wayne does or something...
.S2K is offline   Reply With Quote