AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2011-12-11, 16:51   Link #581
ars89
One-Eyed Dragon

Lol Leorio enjoyed losing that one gamble. He's too easy to read though. Gon's suggestion might have worked though. Oh man Killua was awesome. Loled when he put the heart in the guy's hand afterward.
Old 2011-12-11, 18:25   Link #582
FlareKnight
User of the "Fast Draw"

Send a message via AIM to FlareKnight Send a message via MSN to FlareKnight
That was one gamble that Leorio couldn't avoid losing.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guardian Enzo View Post
This. Smiling and "returning" the heart to Johness is way more chilling than simply crushing it.
Yeah don't think that's a bad way to do it either. Kind of gives you a chill just watching him hang onto the thing until the heart stops on its own, then finally returning it like he asked.
Old 2011-12-11, 18:50   Link #583
Goty

Send a message via ICQ to Goty
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gooral View Post
These scenes are still rather mild but when chimera ant arc starts non-manga readers won't even know what ants do to humans unless it would be said by a narrator. By trying to please everyone this anime fails IMO. It should either be as faithful to the manga as possible or censored in a way kids could watch it. Now it's too brutal for kids and to ridiculous to adults. If new anime can't even match to old anime than I fail to see the purpose of re-making it.
Pretty much this.
If they can't show even Jonas' backstory properly...future arcs will suffer so much, it's not funny.
Not that the new anime is bad, it's fine if you never read the source or watched the original anime..it's probably appealing to kids, since the ratings are pretty good so far.
Goty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-12-11, 19:34   Link #584
UnknownSoldier

Has an anime ever been moved to a later time-slot for the sake of showing material?

I mean they can keep this up pretty much all the way to the Chimera Ant arc with ease, but after that I can't imagine them coming up with any form of censorship that would be allowed and yet please the fans of the manga.
UnknownSoldier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-12-11, 20:04   Link #585
orion
Waiting for more taiyuki!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clarste View Post
Personally, I like the new version better. Having it slowly stop beating gives a sense of powerlessness to the scene. And dropping it in his hand afterwards gives a bit more taunting "playing with his prey" feel.

I don't really care whether it was wrapped in cloth or not, it's still obviously a heart.
And since he's suppose to be a professional assassin, running about with blood all over you after a fresh kill is prob not a good thing. This way he was neat and can get away without problems. He did mention that his dad can remove a heart and not leave any blood behind.

When you think about it in this way, 2011 version is more plausible than the "Mortal Kombat" crush the heart ending from 1999.

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnknownSoldier View Post
Has an anime ever been moved to a later time-slot for the sake of showing material?

I mean they can keep this up pretty much all the way to the Chimera Ant arc with ease, but after that I can't imagine them coming up with any form of censorship that would be allowed and yet please the fans of the manga.
Well, the anime version can be thought of as promo for the manga, models, toys, games etc. Airing at 10:55 AM prob means that they are trying to attract new fans more than pleasing old fans. Moving to a less desireable time zone (late night) is prob not something they're going to do to please old fans who want a less toned down adaptation.

Last edited by orion; 2011-12-11 at 20:16.
orion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-12-12, 01:03   Link #586
zeniselv
Staring into your soul.

we have to accept times had changed, nowadays even in america remakes of cartoons like looney tunes are "toned down of violence" wich in my opinion is just stupid, or a good japanese recent example would be dragon ball kai.
Old 2011-12-12, 02:09   Link #587
rinichan

and i notice this episode they didnt spoil Killua's surname . CR only said he came from an elite family of assasins... I wonder why?

And I just wanna know if they gonna change op and ed after ep 13? becoz its common in other anime, what do you all think?
rinichan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-12-12, 10:57   Link #588
Toto y Moi
Amor Fati

I'll post a comparison later tonight, probably. Just chiming in here to say that I think that the new series directed and conveyed the tone of that action far better than the 1999 series. More on my thoughts later.
Toto y Moi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-12-12, 13:24   Link #589
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirarakim View Post
Actually I liked the effect of the beating heart suddenly going silent. It was quietly powerful!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guardian Enzo View Post
This. Smiling and "returning" the heart to Johness is way more chilling than simply crushing it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toto y Moi View Post
I'll post a comparison later tonight, probably. Just chiming in here to say that I think that the new series directed and conveyed the tone of that action far better than the 1999 series. More on my thoughts later.
Agreeing with all three here.

This show has been on a role for a while now, and i certainly hope it'll carry on. Just the little change of including a narrator works so damn well. Gives me goosebumps just thinking about seeing the later material animated.
Old 2011-12-12, 13:28   Link #590
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

For me, the most chilling part of the entire sequence is the very end - when Gon and Killua happily start bantering with each other and then run around the waiting room looking for stuff to play with...
Guardian Enzo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-12-12, 21:21   Link #591
TheKage

I'll just chime in and say, I dislike the change because I'm a purist. The small details didn't bother me too much but I always loved that part in the manga. Re-reading that scene makes me feel something that the new version just didn't give me.

I'm liking how it's definitely getting the ratings. I'm just... a little sad and disappointed by the changes. It's always weird and a little annoying when you want to discuss a series with someone only to know they've only read or watched x/y/z version so that differences in the manga or anime become glaringly obvious.
TheKage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-12-13, 05:04   Link #592
Archon_Wing
On a mission
*Author

Send a message via MSN to Archon_Wing
Omg that laugh; it's Satoko!

And Killua owned it up quick and fast, just like how it should be.

Avatar/Sig courtesy of TheEroKing
Guild Wars 2 SN: ArchonWing.9480
MyAnimeList || Reviews
Archon_Wing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-12-13, 18:18   Link #593
Kaioshin Sama
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Kaioshin Sama
Quote:
Originally Posted by Archon_Wing View Post
Omg that laugh; it's Satoko!

And Killua owned it up quick and fast, just like how it should be.
You mean Tiffa Adill right?
Kaioshin Sama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-12-15, 12:57   Link #594
ookamigirl

Leorio is a total perv ^^"
That girl sure was playing him.
Killua sure got a pretty dangerous opponent, but this is were we actually got to see how dangerous Killua really is.
I'm glad they finally moved on..

My Blog --> ookami
ookamigirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-12-15, 21:14   Link #595
Toto y Moi
Amor Fati

Sorry that this is late--finals season. Anyways, here's the comparison. Get ready for a long one, despite the episodes being so similar to each other.

Spoiler for Hunter x Hunter Episode 11 Comparison:

Last edited by Toto y Moi; 2011-12-15 at 22:06.
Old 2011-12-16, 00:57   Link #596
Megiddo

How can you call that a smile by Kurapica? That's a look that says "Holy shit, that kid is dangeous". Seriously, look at it. That is no smile.

As far as the 'bag' being the prisoner's shirt, I once again must call bullshit. Clench your fist (or even better, imagine Johness' fist clenched) and try to measure about how much area of cloth would be needed to entirely cover it, with ample room to spare so Killua can just lazily hold it of course. Now go and look at the picture where it shows the hole made by Killua to get the heart. Notice that there is absolutely no indication of a large tear made and that the shirt looks pretty much completely normal other than the hole. It is infathomable to expect someone to believe that the 'bag' used by Killua is in fact Johness' shirt, going by what Madhouse has drawn. If they wanted the audience to think that, then obviously they would have made larger tears in the clothing to show that is what Killua had done.

The '99 version is far superior in my opinion. People talk about how the new version added 'drama' but the scene never needed drama. Assassins don't try to create drama. They kill. They kill as efficiently as possible.

I also don't like how the 2011 version didn't even mention how Johness always dismembers his victims and how they didn't show the scene where he tore off a chunk of the cop's arm.

I personally liked the shadow decapitation that was in the episode prior, but this bag nonsense was stupid and unnecessary.
Megiddo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-12-16, 01:51   Link #597
FlareKnight
User of the "Fast Draw"

Send a message via AIM to FlareKnight Send a message via MSN to FlareKnight
Quote:
Originally Posted by Megiddo View Post
How can you call that a smile by Kurapica? That's a look that says "Holy shit, that kid is dangeous". Seriously, look at it. That is no smile.

As far as the 'bag' being the prisoner's shirt, I once again must call bullshit. Clench your fist (or even better, imagine Johness' fist clenched) and try to measure about how much area of cloth would be needed to entirely cover it, with ample room to spare so Killua can just lazily hold it of course. Now go and look at the picture where it shows the hole made by Killua to get the heart. Notice that there is absolutely no indication of a large tear made and that the shirt looks pretty much completely normal other than the hole. It is infathomable to expect someone to believe that the 'bag' used by Killua is in fact Johness' shirt, going by what Madhouse has drawn. If they wanted the audience to think that, then obviously they would have made larger tears in the clothing to show that is what Killua had done.

The '99 version is far superior in my opinion. People talk about how the new version added 'drama' but the scene never needed drama. Assassins don't try to create drama. They kill. They kill as efficiently as possible.

I also don't like how the 2011 version didn't even mention how Johness always dismembers his victims and how they didn't show the scene where he tore off a chunk of the cop's arm.

I personally liked the shadow decapitation that was in the episode prior, but this bag nonsense was stupid and unnecessary.
The heart is already out of his body. How more efficient can you get? If that's the reason to crush the heart I don't buy it. Is someone immediately going to run past Killua and perform open heart surgery before this guy dies? Plus hardly an intelligent assassination plan to stand there with your hand drenched in blood after you just crushed it. Hardly stealthy to have to then go and use a washroom to clean the hand off. The guy is dead, might as well just make as little mess as you can and leave the heart behind.

Also that does seem to be a nervous smile saying what you meant, but technically it is still a smile. Edge of the mouth is tilted upwards which is a smile . You're certainly right it didn't mean she was happy or positive, but a frown was better.

We're seriously going into the size of the shirt rip? Instead completely choosing to ignore him racing past this guy, ripping a heart out, and pulling his arm in so he can pass on the far side compared to where the heart is.

Certainly it's too bad they cut out what this guy did since it would have made him seem even worse before the 'fight' started. That would have been nice to include. Personally I enjoyed the new version with the heart stopping and then the guy collapsing. Seems more chilling that way.
Old 2011-12-16, 02:31   Link #598
TheKage

It is nothing about efficiency of his former professional job in the scene. Killua crushed his heart. For Killua's own reasons. There needs not be any type of efficiency when it's not a job. Why would he care if he needed to be stealthy or not? It's not a job where he had to be.

Whether it is a nervous smile or a smile, I think the smile conveys a little bit of the idea that Kurapika isn't quite sure of his alliance or "friendship" with Killua. Considering at the moment he has to work with Killua, why express any real distaste or displeasure by outright frowning while with the nervous smile it can always be considered a "joke"? It doesn't matter either way, the smile from the 1999 and the stoic expression from the 2011 version and manga just conveyed a different thought process. The stoicism kept his thoughts neutral while the nervous smile was keeping it on "friendly terms". I think it's easier to hate and show their complete and utter displeasure of Tompa than it is with Killua who've they have had better relations with up until this point where some of them truly start to see that Killua is much more dangerous than they thought.

I don't think the scene is bad at conveying this change in how people start to view Killua. I think this is really a case of preference. Opinions on the difference of the impacts may deal with if people prefer subtleties versus bluntness. I prefer the blunt "oh shit" approach of the manga but I know a lot of people like the creepier 2011 version. I find them both equally cruel. I polled a few of my friends who had never heard of HxH before I ever started talking about it and it was 50/50 on which was more unsettling or creepy.
TheKage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-12-16, 02:33   Link #599
Toto y Moi
Amor Fati

Quote:

I think you should watch the scene with Kurapika's smile in motion...It's a nervous smile, but one that indicates trust. The line in the 2011 is the exact opposite--a slight tinge of distrust.

The scene isn't supposed to just convey that Killua is just a badass assassin--this is the first time any of his team has seen him do something remotely violent. Leorio underestimated him especially. And then he proves himself to be more violent than a mass murderer. Both Kurapika and Leorio are cautious of Killua as a result. Maybe the next episode will explore this, as now they all have to spend 50 hours in a room with him.

Also, the cloth is the exact same color as Johness' shirt. It's pretty obvious that's what it is--especially considering the gaping hole into Johness' chest. Anything torn from that shirt is inside of Johness now. And why would Killua have a bag?
Old 2011-12-16, 02:34   Link #600
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.

Quote:

The tear is inside the chest. Plenty of room to do that, now.
Anh_Minh is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
action, shounen