AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2009-06-25, 07:16   Link #41
FireChick

I wonder if the subs are gonna come out soon?
FireChick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-06-26, 04:59   Link #42
M.Marangio

Quote:
Originally Posted by FireChick View Post
I wonder if the subs are gonna come out soon?
Remember that the english title is "Sea Story".
M.Marangio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-06-26, 05:53   Link #43
FireChick

The first episode is subbed and out!
FireChick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-06-26, 10:33   Link #44
MeoTwister5
Komrades of Kitamura Kou

Lol I placed this show on my To Try list but I didn't realize it was already out. Will now start trying. I'm not a fan of the Magical Girl genre but I'll see where this goes for a while.
MeoTwister5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-06-26, 10:41   Link #45
DmonHiro

Send a message via Yahoo to DmonHiro
Actually, why do people keep saying this is a "magical girl" anime? I see almost nothing that defines that genre here. No transformations, no monster to defeat, nu super-powers....no nothing.
DmonHiro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-06-26, 11:40   Link #46
Doraneko
The Owl of Minerva

Quote:
Originally Posted by DmonHiro View Post
Actually, why do people keep saying this is a "magical girl" anime? I see almost nothing that defines that genre here. No transformations, no monster to defeat, nu super-powers....no nothing.
Because all officially available information suggests that it is.

Just take a look at the information about DVD vol.1 from Amazon. Similar descriptions can also found in the press release on Anime-anime.
Spoiler:

I am not going to translate the whole thing as it contains spoilers for the unaired episode 2, but the bolded line reads "a completely new transforming magical girl action show."

Still, I sincerely pray that Sato Junichi is trolling here and it turns out to be a YKK/Aria like slice-of-life show, or at least something along the lines of Kaleido Star.
Doraneko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-06-26, 12:52   Link #47
Kaoru Chujo
Yuuki Aoi

Quote:
It's not much like an ordinary magical girl anime, so far -- fortunately, in my opinion -- but we may indeed have caught a glimpse of a monster, and there may be super-powers and transformations that haven't shown up yet. The Japanese publicity certainly claims it is magical girl, anyway, as Doraneko says. But it does say that it is "completely new magical girl action," so it may not follow the canon exactly. A mix of magical girl with slice of life could be interesting.
YUUKI Aoi 悠木碧. b92.03.27 (age 29). 2008 Kurenai (Murasaki). 2009 Yumeiro Pâtissière (Ichigo), Kiruminzuu (Riko), Yutori-chan (Yutori-chan). 2010 Vampire Bund (Mina Tepeş), Shiki (Sunako), Samurai Girls (Juubee), Pokémon: Black and White (Iris). 2011 Madoka Magica (Madoka), Gosick (Victorique), A-Channel (Tooru). 2012 Symphogear (Hibiki). 2014 Pilot's Love Song (Claire/Nina), Nanatsu no Taizai (Diane). 2015 Owari no Seraph (Krul Tepes), Rokka no Yuusha (Fremy). 2016 Boku no Hero Academia (Tsuyu, Froppy). 2017 Kino no Tabi (Kino). 2021 Kumo desu ga (watashi), Kaizoku Oujo (Karin), Heike Monogatari (Biwa), etc., etc. Total of 513 roles in anime and games.
Kaoru Chujo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-06-26, 14:00   Link #48
fict_ticious
I can has drinks?

Quote:
Actually, why do people keep saying this is a "magical girl" anime? I see almost nothing that defines that genre here.
Dude, it's been one episode, and I'm pretty sure Junichi Sato knows what he is doing. Besides, if non-human characters doesn't spell "magical girl", I really don't know what else does.

Episode 1:
Spoiler:

I've always wanted a SPLASH animu, but this is fine, too. Visually appealing, and since it's 12 (?) episodes, the animation should be consistent. The budget must be godly, though, since the main sponsor is a vendor for those pachinko thingies.
fict_ticious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-06-26, 14:03   Link #49
DmonHiro

Send a message via Yahoo to DmonHiro
One more thing. I've been reading on lot's of blogs about people complaining about Urin's name. To those people, I'd just like to say that "Urin" means "rain forest" in Japanese.
DmonHiro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-06-26, 14:33   Link #50
fict_ticious
I can has drinks?

Quote:
One more thing. I've been reading on lot's of blogs about people complaining about Urin's name. To those people, I'd just like to say that "Urin" means "rain forest" in Japanese.
I'd brave her rain forest, if you know what I mean. Though I imagine sea creatures may not have that much hair... or hair at all.
fict_ticious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-06-26, 15:11   Link #51
Craymel

I'm glad I put this on my "to try" list. So far I love the animation, the music, the character designs (except for the merman) and especially the atmosphere the anime has (that's really what drew me to this anime). It seems unique in it's own right because of the atmosphere (I haven't watched aria sorry :P). The pace is slow but I don't mind it; does any one know how many episodes this is supposed to have. My favourite part of it all was how the ending payed homage to the original little mermaid fairy tale in it's ending (I wonder if that has anything to do with the actual plot). I uploaded the ending to youtube.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=55aX38KwE0g

I couldn't figure out how to embed...
Old 2009-06-26, 15:43   Link #52
Raiga
tl;dr

You take the video number and put it between "youtube" tags, like this:
[ youtube]55aX38KwE0g[/ youtube] except without the spaces (for some reason putting this in code tags doesn't work).

And it becomes:
Old 2009-06-26, 15:49   Link #53
Craymel

thanks for that little tutorial. I really do like that ending much better then the opening.
Old 2009-06-26, 16:15   Link #54
ThoHell

What are they? Mermaids? Under water world humans? People like Armuro from Umisho? I dunno, but this was surprising watchable and cute. Think I'll continue to watch this. YURIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII!
ThoHell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-06-26, 18:31   Link #55
Fishfood1

The first episode is kinda interesting, I think I'll be watching this for awhile.

I'm surprised how neutral Marin is compare to Urin, who's like scared of people on the surface.

roof>bed
Fishfood1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-06-26, 22:18   Link #56
suguru
京都 ikitai~

Impressed by the first episode - as others have said, really good atmosphere, the character designs, backgrounds, music, and everything else just seemed to click together really well. It'll be interesting to see where they go with the story - Marin seems like the innocent/trusting type, while Urin is more apprehensive, wonder if after a while on the surface both of them will end up somewhere in the middle.
suguru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-06-26, 23:29   Link #57
ARQ

lol during that scene where everything looks evil and foreboding near the end of the episode, the music was so wildly inappropriate. Its all peaceful and mellow sounding.
ARQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-06-27, 00:26   Link #58
chinaboat

Quote:
Originally Posted by ARQ View Post
lol during that scene where everything looks evil and foreboding near the end of the episode, the music was so wildly inappropriate. Its all peaceful and mellow sounding.
Yeah, it was like "Hey, we got this music left over from Aria, let's stick it in this anime even though it makes absolutely no sense whatsoever"

From the way the underwater people's hair and costumes behaved I'm thinking they live in the same ocean as Spongebob Squarepants where sometimes water is water and sometimes it ain't. In a series where: one of female lead is the epitome of fanservice: one is a fine example of lolicon who obviously has super human strength: and the third has definite anger management issues, an atypical body of water is not necessarily a bad thing.

Prior to watching the sub I knew nothing about series which is probably a good thing since the phrase "magical girl" takes my interest level to about zero rather quickly. However the quirkily conflicting elements (non-water water, fanservice, "Aria" type music for no apparent reason, and it seems a bewhiskered turtle) make me want to stay for the at least two or three more. It looks like this might be fun (of course it looks like it might also be really, really stupid, too) so I think I'll stick around for a bit
chinaboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-06-27, 07:09   Link #59
Dop
Mmmm....

Just seen the first episode, and I quite liked that. I'll be watching more to see how the storyline develops, but what I've seen so far looks promising.
Dop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-06-27, 07:24   Link #60
ZODDGUTS

First episode was a good start. Interesting to see the girl get dumped in the first episode looking forward to seeing the guy with the current girl he's with and as to how Kannon will deal with it other then beating him up of course.
ZODDGUTS is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fantasy