AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2012-01-19, 22:03   Link #341
seaghyn16
Translator Level 4/10

The one thing novels can do that is really hard to do in anime...is narrate...

I mean...who'd want to sit through a narrated series? It would be like a History Channel Documentary...(>_<)

I think the scriptwriters have quite a good imagination, and the animated version gives a fresh twist to this novel which has like, 7 different spin-off manga's or w/e...haha O_o
seaghyn16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-20, 05:00   Link #342
Sumeragi
Banned

Reading over the comments and rethinking the issue, I feel like there is a clash between the Usagi Drop fans (pastel, fluffy, subtle, innocent) and the Papakiki fans (flashy, comical, blatant, mature). Most likely this is why there seems to be a heightened sense of polarization than most series this season.
Sumeragi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-20, 07:46   Link #343
Malkuth
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Malkuth
^ I agree, kid- vs adult-oriented seems to nail the issue; some expected another harmless NoitaminA-like product for the masses, others a very controversial servicy (by the general definition) late-night show... I think only Koi Kaze (and to a lesser extent Rotte) managed to balance the two, and still got a lot of negative reactions.
Malkuth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-20, 08:58   Link #344
Demi.
Ass connoisseur

I don't know why you think Usagi Drop is a kid oriented anime. It's a Josei title, and while it can be viewed by all ages, "kid" is not the appropriate term. Just because it's not vulgar in any way, does not indicate that the series intended audience is children. And Papa no Iu Koto is not an adult oriented anime by any stretch of the word. Unless fan service is the only thing you deem to the be difference between the two. Regardless, Io Koto still seems to pander to teens more than anything else.
Old 2012-01-20, 09:50   Link #345
Malkuth
Banned

... kid-oriented, as in family friendly, politically correct, avoiding controversial perspectives on difficult issues, and so on. Definitely not requiring an awful lot of thinking... like ecchi shows, but for office ladies and their families. I haven't watched it though, I am judging from how posters and bloggers talk about it when used as an anime to compare with, as well as from the general guidelines of its airing zone (though recently that has changed concerning ecchi to join two of the most boring gernes out there)
Old 2012-01-20, 11:28   Link #346
bakAnki
あやせたんの剣

I think it's the best to stop comparing Usagi Drop and Papakiki. Both of them has the, more or less, same theme on the first glance, but the execution is pretty different.

Spoiler for Comparison to Usagi Drop with minor plot detail:

Last edited by relentlessflame; 2012-01-20 at 13:25. Reason: Added spoiler tags for comparison
bakAnki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-20, 13:38   Link #347
relentlessflame

*Administrator

I generally agree that comparing two different shows aimed at widely different audiences is pretty perilous. We don't generally directly compare TV shows or live-action movies that are aimed at completely-different target audiences, but there's a temptation to think that all anime is within a single genre just because it's animated in Japan. This is also because a lot of the English anime community picks shows to watch without any regard for demographic/target audience/etc. Sometimes that yields surprises, but ignoring that context can also lead to disappointment and somewhat-unfair comparisons. (Usagi Drop was mass-market-friendly enough to get a live-action movie adaptation. I don't think this show has ever had that sort of ambition, nor did it claim to.)

At the end of the day, it's valuable for people to research their entertainment choices in advance, and to know the difference between "bad" and "not for me". But as I said before, it may be a bit too early still for people to make a definitive call, so we obviously have to allow that as well.
Old 2012-01-20, 18:18   Link #348
Archon_Wing
On a mission
*Author

Send a message via MSN to Archon_Wing
Let's not even talk about comparing two different shows. Wide area attacks against other genres outside one's comfort zone seems to be a norm of the situation. But yea, each show has a different use, and it should be judged according to that use rather then to suddenly condemn every show of a type simply because it doesn't fall into one's range.

There's just more to a show than buzzwords in genre, and the narrow classifications and broad generalizations that don't go anywhere.

I love good fanservice so I pick up lots of ecchi fanservice anime, but I despise excessive or unappealing fanservice so my complaints are lodged there. Am I suddenly someone who despises all ecchi anime and is some kind of moral prude that only watches anime of a "higher genre"? I hope not.

Anyhow, been giving this a look-- how's the fanservice?

Avatar/Sig courtesy of TheEroKing
Guild Wars 2 SN: ArchonWing.9480
MyAnimeList || Reviews
Archon_Wing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-20, 18:25   Link #349
Malkuth
Banned

^ ecchi? ane/otouto bath, haruhi showering, airi panty-shot, mini-hibiki playing a trumpet... pretty much nothing

Last edited by Malkuth; 2012-01-20 at 18:25. Reason: spelling
Old 2012-01-20, 18:26   Link #350
Archon_Wing
On a mission
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malkuth View Post
^ecchi? ane/ototo bath, haruhi showering, airi panty-shot, mini-hibiki playing a trumpet... pretty much nothing
Damn! Next!

Oh wait... though panty shots aren't my thing, baths may be. But how does a trumpet fit in here?

MyAnimeList || Reviews
Old 2012-01-20, 18:31   Link #351
DXMichael
Psycho Falling Deep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archon_Wing View Post
Damn! Next!

Oh wait... though panty shots aren't my thing, baths may be. But how does a trumpet fit in here?
It has only been 2 episodes, and episode 2 was pretty much all about the story progression. Come back later after 2-3 episodes and you'll get a better description

As for the trumpet thing...people find ways...specifically professionals...some names come to mind
Old 2012-01-20, 18:47   Link #352
Archon_Wing
On a mission
*Author

Professional trumpet blowing eh; well... now that might make me care. XD

MyAnimeList || Reviews
Old 2012-01-20, 18:58   Link #353
Malkuth
Banned

^ Unfortunately mini-Hibiki will need at least 10 years to turn pro
Old 2012-01-20, 19:01   Link #354
djmaca
My Girl ↓

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malkuth View Post
^ Unfortunately mini-Hibiki will need at least 10 years to turn pro
She just needs a little instruction and practice...
djmaca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-20, 23:32   Link #355
EroKing

Oh you guys, making the job so hard for the mods

*throws random images to distract everyone*

Some Oda Raika Fanservice
Old 2012-01-21, 02:51   Link #356
Quadratic
SIBYL salesman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sumeragi View Post
Reading over the comments and rethinking the issue, I feel like there is a clash between the Usagi Drop fans (pastel, fluffy, subtle, innocent) and the Papakiki fans (flashy, comical, blatant, mature). Most likely this is why there seems to be a heightened sense of polarization than most series this season.
Care to explain what you mean by mature? Mature as in the dealing with (non-sexual) mature themed/serious subjects, or mature as in sexual related (nudity, panty shots etc)?
Usagi Drop definitely dealt with the former, and did a lot better than how it's being handled here so far.

Not having read the novel, all I can say is that this show (judging from these 2 eps alone) looks to be harem-style show. Even if it isn't, I'm sure this is how the show is being driven by the producers of this show.
In fact, the revelation of the parents being killed in the plane didn't seem sad at all. My only thought the entire time was, "oh so this is how he gets his harem".
Judging Usagi Drop from the first 2 eps alone showed that series was a story driven show (mind you, I felt the first 5 eps was great but the rest was overall bland).
Quadratic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-21, 03:25   Link #357
relentlessflame

*Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quadratic View Post
Care to explain what you mean by mature? Mature as in the dealing with (non-sexual) mature themed/serious subjects, or mature as in sexual related (nudity, panty shots etc)?
Usagi Drop definitely dealt with the former, and did a lot better than how it's being handled here so far.
Yeah, I'm quite sure he she (sorry!!!) meant mature as in "Rated M for Mature" due to "some suggestive scenes" and so on. Not mature as in "it takes itself seriously and treats its material likewise". As was said before, this show is generally targeted primarily at teenage boys, whereas the latter was targeted primarily at young-adult females (but approaching a broader crowd). I'm not quite sure I'd call this a "harem show" outright (personally I think that term is over-used), but it is a romantic comedy, and certainly shares traits common to most shounen romantic comedies. (That doesn't mean it can't have serious past as well, and so on.)

Anyway, hopefully all this is going to help people better understand the sort of show this is likely to be (and likely not to be) so everyone can get back to actually discussing the show itself by the time the next episode rolls around.

Last edited by relentlessflame; 2012-01-21 at 04:08. Reason: fixed; sorry
relentlessflame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-21, 04:00   Link #358
Sumeragi
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quadratic View Post
Given that I deliberately contrasted the word mature with innocent for Usagi Drop (it took me about five minutes to get those contrasting adjectives in line), I think it should be pretty obvious.

Quote:
Originally Posted by relentlessflame View Post
Yeah, I'm quite sure he
I thought you would have by now known my gender, relentlessflame. I am a very sad fujoshi
Sumeragi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-21, 04:06   Link #359
~Yami~
a random Indonesian otaku

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheEroKing View Post

completely distracted.... *nosebleed*

why should we put this on debate???? I only care for the plot and cuteness but not the fanservice
~Yami~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-21, 04:18   Link #360
mangatron
worshipping the pantyhose

@Yami: plot? what plot? I believe in episode 02 it was "shot down" *runs*

Quote:
Originally Posted by djmaca View Post
She just needs a little instruction and practice...
Sure. Next you're going to suggest she start with a lolipop

Ahem *cough*
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheEroKing View Post

-The King used Ecchi picture!
-*The mangatron is distracted*
-It's super effective!

Raika-chan, you gotten big since I last saw you

Quote:
Originally Posted by relentlessflame View Post
Yeah, I'm quite sure she meant mature as in "Rated M for Mature" due to "some suggestive scenes" and so on.
Oh, she already fixed it. Next time I don't do 2 threads at once

Quote:
I'm not quite sure I'd call this a "harem show" outright (personally I think that term is over-used)
Personally I feel the same way, several years ago any series with 1 guy and more than 3 girls was instantly tagged as a "harem", for so long, nowadays I just shut up and not say anything. I feel like I explained my entire brain all these years

At the most, I'd call this a triangle; Yuuta has his in-denial eyes on Raika, and Sora has her eyes on him. If anyone says MewMew has her eyes on Yuuta, I'm going to..... never mind, that's another debate for another place

Oh look! I didn't call her Haruhi! My mind..... must be corrupt. Quick, scan brain and repair bad sectors! no wait, I was just distracted by the King XD
mangatron is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
light novel adaptation, romantic comedy, shounen