AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > General Anime > Fansub Groups

Notices

Old 2004-05-20, 17:05   Link #61
Za Paper

Siawase apatment Okojo-san. That was a great show.
Za Paper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-05-20, 18:29   Link #62
teh_suck
AKA Torgen from We Suck
*Fansubber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elepsis
Torgen, I don't think anyone has a problem with a group picking up a series where another group left off if the original group has flat-out stated, "no, we're not going to do anymore" -- the problem I have is when groups pick up shows from the middle when the original group continues to wish to do everything in its power to keep releasing episodes.
I guess our point of contention here is the difference between being willing to do everything in your power to accomplish something, and something being within your power to accomplish. It doesn't matter if I'm willing to do everything within my power to perform acts of alchemy; I am not capable of doing so. Likewise, if you have no translator, then perhaps sadly or perhaps not, it is not within your group's power to release episodes. Your group's members' determination alone will not turn Japanese into English any more than mine will turn lead into gold.
teh_suck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-05-20, 18:38   Link #63
Yaoi_Pocky
mentionitis ouendanica

Quote:
Torgen, I don't think anyone has a problem with a group picking up a series where another group left off if the original group has flat-out stated, "no, we're not going to do anymore" -- the problem I have is when groups pick up shows from the middle when the original group continues to wish to do everything in its power to keep releasing episodes.
I'm interested in why you think taking over a stalled (but not explicitly announced dead) project is bad, Elepsis.

The way I see it, the "vulture group" is taking an active initiative to bring the stalled series on time - which is far better than some leecher passively complaining about how the original group is doesn't have time to give her her daily dose of [insert stalled series here]. This is assuming, of course, that the "vulture group" isn't doing a royally atrocious job of subbing the series or doing something unethical like starting from the beginning and copying the original group's translations.

If the original group feels that the "vulture group" is doing a decent job - perhaps they can ask that group to work together with them to do a joint project so that there's co-operation instead of competition...another reason that translators in a "vulture group" may not want to completely join the original group is because the "vulture group" has already established themselves, and the translator may not want to break away from her original group.

I'm not completely familiar with the intricacies of the fansub scene, so please feel free to point out any flaws to my thinking.

(Note that my above points don't apply to "parasitic groups" who try to jump on the bandwagon of an oversubbed show such as Naruto.)
Yaoi_Pocky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-05-20, 21:14   Link #64
Elepsis
Lives under a bridge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yaoi_Pocky
If the original group feels that the "vulture group" is doing a decent job - perhaps they can ask that group to work together with them to do a joint project so that there's co-operation instead of competition...another reason that translators in a "vulture group" may not want to completely join the original group is because the "vulture group" has already established themselves, and the translator may not want to break away from her original group.
My point of contention is that it should be the other way around: If a group sees a series is stalled, for whatever reason, and they want to see more of it released, they should IMHO get in touch with the original group and see if they can't work out some sort of method for cooperation before blindly picking it up themselves. Most groups who are short for staff would not resist bringing another group on-board for a joint midway through a series.

And Torgen, there _are_ ways of releasing episodes even when you don't have a full-time translator with your group at the time. It certainly makes things a challenge, but Genbu has not had a permanent translator in a year and a half, and we've still managed to release several episodes.
Elepsis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-05-20, 22:50   Link #65
Secca
nya`
*Artist

About the vulture group thingy, I see it more like passing the baton when they cannot continue anymore. I think it's more cruel to just stand and watch a group strugling with a series and nobody do something about it.

A joint project definitely preferable tho if they can work something out.
Secca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-05-21, 02:10   Link #66
Tommy
Mr. Prince

I wonder if this thread will actually convince even one group to start subbing a stalled series? Please let it be Cromartie.
Tommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-05-21, 02:24   Link #67
AnimeOni
Raid-the-mods

I like the passing of the baton thing. There are cases where groups cannot continue or do not have time to work on a project and another group has excess capacity. I see nothing wrong with joint-ventures.

I see nothing with teaming up with another group or finishing another groups work if they credit the previous group or something like that then this works out well.

The industry has a lot of examples. IBM had problems with OS/2 and they called in Microsoft and now look at where we are now. OS/2 was dropped and Windows dominates the market. OK. so Microsoft is more like a vulture but you get my point. Someone should continue to fight the good fight.
AnimeOni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-05-21, 05:03   Link #68
StarCreator
HnK founding lunatic

Believe it or not, Mirumo de Pon, Gakkou no Kaidan, and Ask Dr. Rin are still being worked on. We haven't given up yet.
StarCreator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-05-21, 06:26   Link #69
LordBrian
Triad's Friendly Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnimeOni
I see nothing with teaming up with another group or finishing another groups work if they credit the previous group or something like that then this works out well.
Assuming they have the full support of the previous group, yeah. But I don't think anyone's really disagreeing with that. The problem lies with some group picking up where another group left off without the support of the other group.

Crediting the other group is really no good if you didn't have their support to begin with, sorta like how those French groups contact me and say, "Hey, send us scripts so we can release in French, since there are no Japanese to English translators IN THE WORLD! Of course we'll credit you! And if you don't, we'll just rip the text from your releases and credit you anyway!"

Standing on the shoulders of giants is all well and good, but don't be a jackass about it.
LordBrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-05-23, 08:07   Link #70
silviachan

Another series I'm awaiting is Mama wa shougaku nensei (Mama's a 4th grader), hope it isn't stuck at eps. 2 forever...
silviachan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-05-23, 09:30   Link #71
Lord Raiden
Uber Coffee for da win!

I see that AonE has started subbing Daa Daa Daa again, so if anything that's one possitive thing that's come out of this thread. We've gotten one stalled series going again. Can't wait for the others, oh, and props to AonE for subbing Daa Daa Daa and working to complete it. Two thumbs up!
Lord Raiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-05-23, 11:02   Link #72
jennwenn

Quote:
Originally Posted by silviachan
Another series I'm awaiting is Mama wa shougaku nensei (Mama's a 4th grader), hope it isn't stuck at eps. 2 forever...
Yeah, that was the cutest series ever! Far better than Aisheteruzu Baby, which was heavily influenced by it.
jennwenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-05-23, 14:13   Link #73
Sakaki-
AnimeONE Typesetter

Quote:

Id have to say i totaly agree with you here, not to say that i look down upon groups who pick stuff up where otheres have wored up to when the original groups are still working on it.

And to you guys who notice that a series you like gets stalled, by a group you like to get the series from, why dont you ask yourselfs what can i do to help the group releasing the series at a better pace.

Remember fansubs are made for free, by fans, for fans, by living people who have real life stuff to deal with.

And to you guys who wanted Daa Daa Daa, AnimeONE is still doing it and wont stop we released 40 and 41 recently go get them and enjoy.

Take Care
Sakaki-
Sakaki- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-05-23, 14:46   Link #74
Lucier
Lunar Translator

w00t!
GO sakaki!
Daa^3 is Aone's best series! ^___^

Finding raws is evil, so I appricate your work

And as you can see, our bakuten is still moving too! (OMG! O_O...) We just have some internal issues right now... =(

I personally hate it when other groups do MY personal projects, I always feel somewhat offended... but I guess that's just life.

(Take AFK and AI-baby for instance... I know they do a decent job, but I was still aghast when I found they were doing it...)
Lucier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-05-23, 14:51   Link #75
7thMethuselah

I'm still waiting for more Daphne in the Brilliant Blue

I know Lunar didn't drop it but I think because they have so much other projects at the moment it got stalled
7thMethuselah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-05-23, 15:22   Link #76
Uska
Guardian of the Seal

Send a message via AIM to Uska Send a message via Yahoo to Uska
Quote:
Originally Posted by silviachan

We need good raws, we have a lot of translations done but we absolutely refuse to use the crappy 50MB raws we have that don't even have a op and ed ^^; If you can help us find good quality raws, or anyone else, please PM me!
Uska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-05-23, 15:37   Link #77
boneyjellyfish
Evangelist of the Kazoo

I wouldn't mind seeing some more Salaryman Kintaro.
boneyjellyfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-05-23, 18:21   Link #78
Hoonyo

Prince of Tennis
Hoonyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-05-23, 19:21   Link #79
LordBrian
Triad's Friendly Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucier
I personally hate it when other groups do MY personal projects, I always feel somewhat offended... but I guess that's just life.
No, it isn't just life. You are legally able to stop them from distributing a series you own the rights to, and if you really have a problem with it, then it is your obligation to stop them.

I mean, that's what you mean when you call them your personal projects, right?
LordBrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-05-23, 21:21   Link #80
Lucier
Lunar Translator

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7thMethuselah
I'm still waiting for more Daphne in the Brilliant Blue

I know Lunar didn't drop it but I think because they have so much other projects at the moment it got stalled
Hopefully I'll get more done soon ^___^

I've just been playing the lunar side-story lately (Lunar Gaiden, AKA Lunar: Mahougakuen), and I can't seem to pull myself away >.>

Though hearing that people actually watch it want more tends to inspire me to do more ^_^... but I seem to get caught up in the "Just one more battle" problem...
Lucier is offline   Reply With Quote