AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Hyouka

Notices

Old 2012-03-19, 08:18   Link #301
Sheba
I Miss NEET Life

Location: Formerly Iwakawa base and Chaldea. Now Teyvat, the Astral Express & the Outpost
Quote:
Originally Posted by Detective-san View Post
No way, the criticism displayed here are just and deserved. Ofcourse the fact that KyoAni isn't making FMP, Haruhi, or LB has absolutely nothing to do with how meticulously we are picking this PV apart piece-by-piece as an outlet for our bottled-up KyoAni rage which doesn't even exist. We look at this independent of the studio's other works because we believe in giving this show a fair chance at least until it actually comes out.

How could you even think of such a ridiculous idea?
Someone fix this trailer with quick cuts, fades to black like in every Hollywood trailers EVER, explosions everywhere, this music and Mike Haggar doing a piledriver. Why Mike Haggar? Because.
Old 2012-03-19, 08:38   Link #302
Triple_R
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reckoner View Post
Well yes, KyoAni is touted as one of the bestest studios ever, so of course they're gonna get attention. Other studios have an excuse for boring previews, their anime usually suck. Them? We expect more .
Exactly.

Hype does come at a cost, guys. As a Guilty Crown fan, I know this well.

If KyoAni wasn't hyped up so high by some of its biggest fans, some of us (including myself) wouldn't hold it to such very high standards.

If this was a DEEN anime PV, I'd probably be falling all over myself in shock over how good it looked and sounded, lol. But KyoAni is held to very lofty hype so that will create lofty expectations.
Old 2012-03-19, 10:48   Link #303
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple_R View Post
5. The musical choice was nice and pleasant to listen to, but I'm not sure what to make of it given the fairly busy visuals (in the sense of the female lead coming across as pretty hyperactive). Still the overall effect was nice enough. It was a good PV...

6. Except it was three minutes long. I appreciate a honest PV that isn't trying to pretend that the anime is something other than what it actually is. But at the same time, if you're a lowkey slice of life anime, I wonder why you'd need three whole minutes to showcase that. Something with a complex and/or action-oriented plot, sure, jazz it up, but for something more relaxing and/or straightforward than that, a minute and a half probably would have been a more suitable length for the PV.
Touché. The Bach piece they chose was ill-suited to what was happening on screen. It's completely out of place imo.

Three minutes was indeed too long for such a trailer. Watch One Off's trailer and you'll notice the difference. (not so subtle advertising)
Old 2012-03-19, 10:58   Link #304
Triple_R
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanon View Post

Three minutes was indeed too long for such a trailer. Watch One Off's trailer and you'll notice the difference. (not so subtle advertising)
Now that's how you promote a slice of life anime in a PV. Excellent PV! Thanks a lot for sharing that with me. I'm now officially looking forward to One Off.
Old 2012-03-19, 11:10   Link #305
Arabesque
Licensed Hunter-a-holic

I have a question about the source content, and if possible answered without spoilers, but exactly how relevant are the mysteries to the plot? Is the mystery solving just a device used to get the characters to grow, or is this a series where solving those cases actually crucial to the story?

Last edited by Arabesque; 2012-03-19 at 11:53.
Arabesque is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-03-19, 11:44   Link #306
rulfo

Thanks for bringing that up. I've been wondering about that myself.
rulfo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-03-19, 13:03   Link #307
Kismet-chan
The Chaotic Dreamer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImagineThat View Post
As for opinions, Mine as well the majority of posts in the thread was on the PV. Yours however was to make generalizations and baseless assumptions on people with an opposing viewpoint to your own. So you're going to have to forgive me if i'm unwilling to accept that.
I wasn't making generalizations or baseless assumptions, but whatever you need to tell yourself. And what's the logic in going around and telling others to accept certain opinions if you can't even accept somebody else's opinion yourself? If I hadn't made the comment I did right after your post, you probably wouldn't have seen it and/or wouldn't have even bothered to respond. Stop taking it like it's a personal attack that was specifically aimed at you or something; that was not my intention.
Old 2012-03-19, 14:21   Link #308
Goggen

Quote:

If KyoAni wasn't hyped up so high by some of its biggest fans, some of us (including myself) wouldn't hold it to such very high standards.
That is a fair point. But don't you think, though, that all the auto-hate towards anything KyoAni at least partially outweighs the hype these days? I don't know, but I feel like for every "It's KyoAni so I know it's gonna be awesome!!" I see now, I also see at least one "Urgh, more slice of life moe crap from overrated KyoAni!". Yes, hype comes at a price but I think they are also getting more than their due share of the hate...
Old 2012-03-19, 17:15   Link #309
Triple_R
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goggen View Post
That is a fair point. But don't you think, though, that all the auto-hate towards anything KyoAni at least partially outweighs the hype these days? I don't know, but I feel like for every "It's KyoAni so I know it's gonna be awesome!!" I see now, I also see at least one "Urgh, more slice of life moe crap from overrated KyoAni!". Yes, hype comes at a price but I think they are also getting more than their due share of the hate...
Maybe.

Ultimately it is just a PV. The most important thing will be the anime itself of course.

If nothing else, "dreamy eyes" is relatively benign compared to non-chronological episode order, music-to-moe bait-and-switch, nice boats, and an endless recursion of time.
Old 2012-03-19, 22:06   Link #310
DragoonKain3
Osana-Najimi Shipper

Quote:
Originally Posted by orion View Post
Nothing's happened so far and with the trailer animation budget pretty much given to Eru, you might want to consider being on a different ship.
Never give up, NEVER surrender!

Yes its YOU childhood friend - source of BERZERKER RAGE since forever
Childhood Friend couple STATISTICS(spoilers abound though)
DragoonKain3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-03-20, 00:17   Link #311
Kunagisa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arabesque View Post
I have a question about the source content, and if possible answered without spoilers, but exactly how relevant are the mysteries to the plot? Is the mystery solving just a device used to get the characters to grow, or is this a series where solving those cases actually crucial to the story?
Think of it like a RPG, I finished quest one and gains a new companion, then I do quest two that allows me to get a key item that's related to completing the bigger quest. Does that make sense (that's just book one though, which I only finished like 3/4th of). So in answer to your question, it's kinda a bit of both but not really either?
Kunagisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-03-20, 09:40   Link #312
rulfo

BTW I've been meaning to ask for clarification but has the story itself ended?

Last edited by rulfo; 2012-03-20 at 09:52.
rulfo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-03-20, 11:10   Link #313
darkchibi07

Send a message via AIM to darkchibi07 Send a message via MSN to darkchibi07
You guys curious about the creator's comments?

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/anim.../spring/hyouka
Old 2012-03-20, 15:01   Link #314
Kaioshin Sama
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Kaioshin Sama
Quote:
Exactly.

If this was a DEEN anime PV, I'd probably be falling all over myself in shock over how good it looked and sounded, lol. But KyoAni is held to very lofty hype so that will create lofty expectations.
I'm amazed that many people still haven't figured this out cause this is what its always been about as opposed to the "hater" label that myself and others have had attached to our positions on Kyoani. Indeed lofty reputations beget lofty standards at least when it comes to my own and what it takes to get the big praise and masterpiece declarations, but hey I guess that's just personal preference.

Basically when it comes to Kyoani or any highly touted work or episode there are two considerations that affect my reactions to them. One is the hype level generated by the community. High levels of hype and praise typically result in a more conservative and critical style of commentary and low levels result in me being more loose and easy with my commentary and leaving it up to others as a means to assure that I'm actually contributing new ideas to a topic and not just parroting what others have said. The other is my own independent evaluation of thr works merit as I see it and only as I see it which affects numerical evaluations as well as aspects of my commentary.
Kaioshin Sama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-03-20, 15:17   Link #315
Haak
Me, An Intellectual

I generally don't pay much attention to the hype of others and try my best not to let it affect my expectations and judgement. If i'm ever disappointed then it's because of my own hype. I'd much rather judge a story on its own merits.
Haak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-03-21, 05:10   Link #316
Arabesque
Licensed Hunter-a-holic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kunagisa View Post
Think of it like a RPG, I finished quest one and gains a new companion, then I do quest two that allows me to get a key item that's related to completing the bigger quest. Does that make sense (that's just book one though, which I only finished like 3/4th of). So in answer to your question, it's kinda a bit of both but not really either?
So basically there is a larger mystery at play, but in order to figure it out the main cast needs to solve a smaller set of cases, some that serve as introduction to the rest of the cast and others to understanding the bigger picture? If that's the case, I guess that would put it closer to the latter category, since it sounds like the case solving is actually central to the story. Thanks for your answer
Old 2012-03-21, 09:11   Link #317
Goggen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haak View Post
I generally don't pay much attention to the hype of others and try my best not to let it affect my expectations and judgement. If i'm ever disappointed then it's because of my own hype. I'd much rather judge a story on its own merits.
This. I facepalm whenever people say that such-and-such movie or anime or whatever is "too hyped" so they don't like it / don't want to watch it. That's just the "it's popular to it sucks" mentality at work. And in my view, it's not all that different to judge something with a harsher critical eye "because of hype". That's still letting other people's opinion color your judgement. Any work should be judged solely on its on merits, regardless of whether or not other people hold it in high esteem.
Goggen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-03-21, 09:24   Link #318
Akito Kinomoto
Sekiroad-Idols Sing Twice

Send a message via AIM to Akito Kinomoto
Maybe we should watch Hyou-Ka in two groups. Group A will communicate with each other as it watches the work episode-by-episode before any final statements while everyone from Group B will be seeing the series independently from one another to see how much isolation can affect our perception of a show. Just a suggestion though.

Now personally I'm expecting this to be better than Nichijou but I don't think that's really saying much...
GANBARIMASU
Akito Kinomoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-03-21, 09:39   Link #319
Sheba
I Miss NEET Life

Location: Formerly Iwakawa base and Chaldea. Now Teyvat, the Astral Express & the Outpost
What weed do people smoke to see hype? If there was hype it had been pretty toned down compared to the past, I guess the fans learned from the past productions of this studio to lower this hype.

Seriously what hype? The first couple of pages have been cautious expectations, RAEG for not animating more Haruhi, MOAR RAEG for looking like K-on, MAXIMUM RAEG for having a boring trailer and a few people trying to give posters informations about the anime and the original novels, thanks to that one guy, we do know to NOT expect CSI or Se7en with highschoolers. So yeah, what hype? The couple of positive impressions that somehow get blown out of proportions by the usual suspects? Oh please.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haak View Post
Someone frame this.
Old 2012-03-21, 10:09   Link #320
MisaoFan
Autistic NEET bath lover

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akito_Kinomoto View Post
Maybe we should watch Hyou-Ka in two groups. Group A will communicate with each other as it watches the work episode-by-episode before any final statements while everyone from Group B will be seeing the series independently from one another to see how much isolation can affect our perception of a show. Just a suggestion though.

Now personally I'm expecting this to be better than Nichijou but I don't think that's really saying much...
It's a good idea to use that theory, launch it after the first episode is out.
Have your social attention be noticed in a genuinely positive light.
MyAnimeList
MisaoFan is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
adaptation, shounen, slice of life