AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > General Anime

Notices

Old 2008-12-17, 05:45   Link #1
yoh_fangirl

getting the downlow on anime... What do you do?

do you have a magazine like NewType available near you? okay i know that NewType magzine is now PiQ, but is there anything that i can read, there is like one magazine in my country... or do you all read blogs or what?

We need to find new anime to watch and know what's happening...
what do you do?
yoh_fangirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-12-17, 05:58   Link #2
Tiran86

I usually watch the stuff that interests me that gets recommended a lot in topics on anime boards.

I don't typically follow new series, Fall of 08 is the first time I've ever done so for fan subs. I haven't really done it since I stopped watching adult swim a few years ago.
Tiran86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-12-17, 06:08   Link #3
-KarumA-
(。☉౪ ⊙。)
*Author

Location: In Maya world, where all is 3D and everything crashes
Usually I find out about new series here (the <season> expectations thread) or from anime blogs ( Ilook up what newly airs each season, write down what I like with airdates)
We have a anime magazine here but it only covers old stuff from like 2-3 years ago so I don't read it because it has nothing new
Also I buy manga occasionally and when a new series is licensed that looks interesting I buy at leased one volume of it to check it out and most of the times that one gets an anime production later on
-KarumA- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-12-17, 06:08   Link #4
xris
Just call me Ojisan

Quote:
Originally Posted by yoh_fangirl View Post
do you have a magazine like NewType available near you?
Maybe reading or posting in the Anime Magazines would give you more info. The thread covers American and Japanese anime magazines.
Quote:
but is there anything that i can read, there is like one magazine in my country... or do you all read blogs or what?
I use sites such as the Fansub Wiki, they list the new TV series for the coming season (for example the new Winter season which starts next month), Winter 2008. I then use the ANN Encyclopedia or AniDB and search for info on the series that sound interesting.

Or just look in the Unaired forum, that has threads about the forthcoming series. And of course there are threads in this forum as well, Winter 2009: Your Expectations and Anticipated Series
xris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-12-17, 06:53   Link #5
Liddo-kun
is this so?

I don't read anime blogs at all because they sometimes contain unwanted spoilers.

On finding new anime I follow the current series section of this board. If I see a new anime there, I would usually download the first episode to try it. In addition, I try what my friends on MAL recommend.
Liddo-kun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-12-17, 07:04   Link #6
yoh_fangirl

That would be helpful... I just wish that there was an english version of newtype. im probably just being spoilt, its just that my friend just returned from Japan with a japanese version of Newtype. The art and the articles are amazing and then they have this section where they show the seiyuus that do the voices of some of our favourite characters, if i could find a magazine that can come even close to that, or even an online website....was just hoping that there was something like that in english... but i guess no one does it better than the japanese

or perhaps this thread could be discussing what we like about our favourite anime magazine...
there is so much more that i want to know about anime
Old 2008-12-17, 07:04   Link #7
minhtam1638
Missing In Action

Send a message via AIM to minhtam1638
Almost the only time I watch a series during its current run is for a series that serves as some sort of sequel, directly or indirectly. Else I just download the series as a whole season and watch it in a marathon situation.
minhtam1638 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-12-17, 13:58   Link #8
0utf0xZer0
Pretentious moe scholar

I don't read many blogs, but they are my main source of info. I usually a couple season preview blog posts to figure out which ones sound interesting to me, and I'll admit that the studio producing the show usually plays a big role for me. After that, I'll download samples of those, and pay attention to the few bloggers, forum members, and friends I have who I think have good taste in order to see if they're watching anything I missed.

I think it's worth noting when I first got into watching things fansubbed, I watched only a few shows that were widely regarded. It took me a while to build a list of people whose opinions I trusted, so for that first couple seasons I was on my own for the most part.
0utf0xZer0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-12-18, 03:26   Link #9
yoh_fangirl

i was all studious yesterday looking for things that would really help the cause and this is what i found...

a blogger that gave us previews of what's to come:
http://randomc.animeblogger.net/

a new free online anime magazine:
http://oishii.littletokyo.co.za/

obviously ANN is always in the mix and wiki... but still not feeling fulfilled

now if only someone could combine these elements and mail it to me... that would be great... [note: i dont give my banking details...he!he!he!]
Old 2008-12-18, 17:47   Link #10
Calca
Expressionless

I pretty much use this forum and ANN or AniDB
Calca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-12-19, 06:24   Link #11
yoh_fangirl

gosh this might be a nuub request but what is anidb? and whats the url?
Old 2008-12-19, 07:50   Link #12
xris
Just call me Ojisan

Quote:
gosh this might be a nuub request but what is anidb? and whats the url?
AniDB
ANN Encyclopedia (search screen)
AnimeNfo (search screen)

Every series we list on AnimeSuki will include links to AniDB, ANN Encyclopedia, AnimeNfo and Wiki. Click on any of the series on the Series page and you will find this info. You will aslo find the link to the AnimeSuki forum discussion thread there.

For example: Clannad ~After Story~
Episodes: 24
Vintage: October 2008
Genre(s): Drama, Romance, Game
More info: AnimeSuki Forum, ANN Encyclopedia, AniDB, Anime-Planet, Wiki, Official Site, AnimeNfo

Try clicking on the above links for ANN, AniDB, Wiki, Anime-Planet etc, and you will see just what these sites are about. Basically they are anime encyclopedias and databases where you can find more about series you are interested in. Also check out the Fansub Wiki for when forthcoming series are going to air and which groups plan to sub them.

And BTW, I already linked the AniDB URL in my post above Thanks for reading it already
xris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-12-19, 15:13   Link #13
0utf0xZer0
Pretentious moe scholar

RandomC isn't the only blog to do season previews, but it's probably the best known. If you watch fansubs, I recommend going through such previews and marking down anything that looks interested to download later.

As for actual reviews rather than previews, I'm not really sure what to say. ANN sometimes does a "season guide" with reviews of the first episodes of a bunch of shows, but I've often had serious disagreements with their reviewers, so it's kind of hard for me to recommend it as a definitive source despite ANN's stature. I personally rely on the opinions of bloggers and forum members who have proven to have good taste in the past, but developing your own list of such people takes time.
0utf0xZer0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-12-22, 07:02   Link #14
yoh_fangirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by 0utf0xZer0 View Post
RandomC isn't the only blog to do season previews, but it's probably the best known.
i know its not the only one, i just really liked randomc, its description and the pictures. but i still have a long way to go before im confident in saying its my favourite, or i believe in their choices.

thanks so much for the urls, xris