Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Reviews & Recommendations

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2006-10-09, 19:16   Link #1
cheez rocks
Junior Otaku

anime club advice

I need a clean, school appropriate anime for my school's anime club! So far we've turned down the DVD versions of ROD the tv for language and sexual content, and Outlaw star for language. The teacher hosting the club seems to be ecstatic about Ruroni Kenshin, so apparently that one is clean enough. I need the anime to be around 26 episodes, and, as mentioned, school appropriate. No Shojo please!
Old 2006-10-09, 20:18   Link #2
jedinat

Trigun!

Are you watching in english? If so the language is completely up to the crappy dubbing, so I have no idea. Is this a high school club? What's with the PG crap?
Old 2006-10-09, 20:23   Link #3
mit7059

You might want to look into these:
.Hack//SIGN(26 eps)
Honey & Clover(24 eps)
Patlabor(47 eps)
Air(12 eps)
or pretty much any basic shounen anime
I can't think of anything really wrong with any of those, .Hack//SIGN and Patlabor are licenced, Honey & Clover and Air are not. All are very good anime, you teacher sounds like a tool

More of a manga reader now than an anime watcher. Currently reading list here
Old 2006-10-09, 20:25   Link #4
cheez rocks
Junior Otaku

Well, it is a high school club, but the club advisor/ teacher is really trying to cover herself. If she were any more lax we would be watching something I downloaded from this site. General concensus among the members appears to be that they want to watch in english, but they'll deal with subtitles if the anime is good enough. And yeah, she is a bit of a tool.
Old 2006-10-09, 20:33   Link #5
mit7059

You said no shojo, thats not a problem, but it would be nice to know what the makeup of your club is. Are they mostly in the naruto fanboy group or are some of them more into the anime scene? Guy to girl ratio? I think Honey & Clover would be a great choice, but if the people in the club arn't that mature and can't sit through dialogue then that isn't your choice. Last Exile is another really good one that you could consider, and its one of the few dubs I'll actually watch, if you want to get the dvds then www.rightstuf.com is having a huge sale on Geneon dvds, 10 for $50, 25 for $100, so you could get all 7 disks of Last Exile plus say 3 of Trigun as recommened by Jedinat for $50, your club's budget has got to be able to handle that. you seem to like Full Metal Panic, was that deemed not appropriate or have you guys already watched it? because everyone likes full metal panic

Old 2006-10-09, 20:35   Link #6
mit7059

scratch the stuff about rightstuf, that sale ended, sorry

Old 2006-10-09, 21:07   Link #7
cheez rocks
Junior Otaku

Quote:
Originally Posted by mit7059 View Post
You said no shojo, thats not a problem, but it would be nice to know what the makeup of your club is. Are they mostly in the naruto fanboy group or are some of them more into the anime scene? Guy to girl ratio? I think Honey & Clover would be a great choice, but if the people in the club arn't that mature and can't sit through dialogue then that isn't your choice. Last Exile is another really good one that you could consider, and its one of the few dubs I'll actually watch, if you want to get the dvds then www.rightstuf.com is having a huge sale on Geneon dvds, 10 for $50, 25 for $100, so you could get all 7 disks of Last Exile plus say 3 of Trigun as recommened by Jedinat for $50, your club's budget has got to be able to handle that. you seem to like Full Metal Panic, was that deemed not appropriate or have you guys already watched it? because everyone likes full metal panic
yes, everyone does like FMP. Last year when we had a different advisor we watched TSR. One of my friends has the FMP DVDs already, so everyones has seen it. No one in the club is opposed to Naruto (believe it!) but most of the dudes would rather have a couple 'a ninjas slugging it out than listen to people talk. There are only three or four girls in the club so about 4:10. I also liked outlaw star and bleach, but bleach is way too long.
Old 2006-10-09, 21:19   Link #8
myopius

Eh? No swearing at all? Nor anything remotely ecchi like GTO, I suppose. Maybe the Full Metal Panic series? Fumoffu if the others are too language-heavy, I can't recall. Ah, but there are some ecchi scenes in those... I can see why this is difficult. Edit: Oh I see, people already know about that. Guess Fumoffu is out of the question though, still?

Perhaps something like Juuni Kokuki (The Twelve Kingdoms)? (That's a fantasy/adventure anime that's fairly low-key and lasts 45 episodes.) Eh, but I dunno if people would get into it. If you wanted something well-done that works well for stand-alone episodes... Kino's Journey (I'd say Mushishi but no fansubs apparently)? Guessing Azumanga Daioh's ecchi is out of the question. Evangelion would be good, obviously, but I suppose there's swearing in that which could throw that woman off. FLCL is also a classic the club would enjoy. Both of those might have already been seen by many people on late-night Cartoon Network, of course, but I know my high school's anime club didn't mind seeing them.

Man, it's an unfortunate situation you're in. If the club gets popular enough, you should try moving it out of the school, like rent a time slot for a public meeting room at a community center/library or something. After my high school club got kicked out when the advisor walked in on the female protagonist's top getting ripped off by some machinery, we just did that, and we get ~12 people a week, at least over the summer (since I graduate I wouldn't know about the school year).

Juuni Kokuki http://anidb.info/perl-bin/animedb.pl?show=anime&aid=26
Kino's Journey http://anidb.info/perl-bin/animedb.p...=anime&aid=575

On Bleach, you don't have to air the entire thing. My high school's club just aired from around episode 25 - 75 (3-4 episodes a week, ~ half a year) of Naruto. Juuni Kokuki also has several independent arcs you could air.
Old 2006-10-09, 21:34   Link #9
cheez rocks
Junior Otaku

I am a bind, aren't I? The bleach idea is good, but they haven't dubbed the good arcs (did I mention they had to be legal too? If they didn't I wouldn't be in this situation). I guess I'll have to look into trigun, that might be clean enough if there isn't any language. But FLCL? c'mon, that's not clean enough. It's starting to bug me that I have to jump through all these hoops just in case, on the incredibly OFF chance the principal walks in and sees/ hears something. As a protest, I'm buying ROD and watching it myself.
Old 2006-10-09, 21:38   Link #10
orion
Waiting for more taiyuki!

Here's my suggestion list. All R1 DVD titles.

Crest/Banner of the Stars. This is actually 3 series so far.
Last Exile
Rahxephon TV
Gasaraki
Animation Runner Kuromi 1 and 2
KakuRenBo: Hide and Seek
Escaflowne TV and Movie
3x3 Eyes
Ah! My Goddess TV
Someday's Dreamers
Gatekeepers
Martian Successor Nadesico
Stellvia
Voices of a Distant Star
Shingu: The Secret of the Stellar Wars
The Irresponsible Captain Tylor
Case Closed

cheez rocks, it sounds as if you are a school-authorized club. If so, then the school is taking a risk on you guys. The principal and your teacher advisor can get into trouble if a parent complains. Besides, you have free rent and don't have to worry about losing your lease or not having enough members.

It's not really that hard to schedule around these requirements. Bleach will probably not be something that you can show either imo.

Last edited by orion; 2006-10-09 at 21:51.
Old 2006-10-09, 22:02   Link #11
cheez rocks
Junior Otaku

Quote:
Originally Posted by orion View Post
Here's my suggestion list. All R1 DVD titles.

Crest/Banner of the Stars. This is actually 3 series so far.
Last Exile
Rahxephon TV
Gasaraki
Animation Runner Kuromi 1 and 2
KakuRenBo: Hide and Seek
Escaflowne TV and Movie
3x3 Eyes
Ah! My Goddess TV
Someday's Dreamers
Gatekeepers
Martian Successor Nadesico
Stellvia
Voices of a Distant Star
Shingu: The Secret of the Stellar Wars
The Irresponsible Captain Tylor
Case Closed

cheez rocks, it sounds as if you are a school-authorized club. If so, then the school is taking a risk on you guys. The principal and your teacher advisor can get into trouble if a parent complains. Besides, you have free rent and don't have to worry about losing your lease or not having enough members.

It's not really that hard to schedule around these requirements. Bleach will probably not be something that you can show either imo.
I've seen the Ah! my goddess movie, is the anime like that too?
Also, who has watched Gatekeepers? I need to know how much language and sexual content etc. Is in it. Thx!
Old 2006-10-09, 22:21   Link #12
jedinat

Gatekeepers is kinda lame imo...

Here's a few series with absolutely nothing bad:
Haibane Renmei (err, actually the ending theme shows the girl unclothed, but with no details, and her legs pulled up to her chin)
Kamichu!
Kaleido Star
Angelic Layer
Futatsu no Spica
Aria the Animation
Uchuu no Stellvia

All were good... though a couple may be beyond the attention span of people who enjoy dubbed anime ^^
Old 2006-10-09, 22:27   Link #13
cheez rocks
Junior Otaku

Hm... Angelic layer is from CLAMP and bones, so cleanliness is practically guaranteed, but after watching chobits I have to wonder how much action there can be in it? Can anyone tell me if it's worth looking into?
Old 2006-10-09, 22:57   Link #14
orion

The animation is better in the TV series. TV series is more "feel good".

There's ecchi parts to Chobits. Your advisor would have a cow.

Well, there is no nudity in Angelic Layer. There is implied yuri and activities that can be interpreted as stalking behaviour if your advisor is super strict. Otherwise it is a good title.

And jedinat, Gatekeepers wasn't lame, especially if you get into the attacks. It's also a clean title which is what cheez rocks is looking for. You can really drum up interest in this title by giving the viewers all the attacks from the game and anime. No cursing in the series. No nudity in the series and an implied kiss at the end of the series.
Old 2006-10-09, 23:09   Link #15
jedinat

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheez rocks View Post
Hm... Angelic layer is from CLAMP and bones, so cleanliness is practically guaranteed, but after watching chobits I have to wonder how much action there can be in it? Can anyone tell me if it's worth looking into?
Chobits was a bit perverted as was pointed out... but yeah, Angelic Layer is perfectly clean. And the anime is based completely around fighting, so you'll find no lack of action. Not really sure what he's refering to about yuri and stalking... but I'll admit its been a while since I watched it.
Old 2006-10-09, 23:14   Link #16
cheez rocks
Junior Otaku

Angelic layer looks pretty good on you tube, and I'll look into gatekeepers. thanks for all the help!
Old 2006-10-09, 23:22   Link #17
orion

Implied yuri: Sai and Kaede. Kind of reminded me of the Sailor Moon duo.

Implied stalking: Icchan. He even had a white labcoat and everyone in the public thought that he was a pervert. It was a running joke for the series.

Other than that perfectly clean like jedinat said.
Old 2006-10-10, 00:18   Link #18
Skyfall
Lost in my dreams...

Hm, Maybe Fate/Stay night ? I think it would rather fit the bill for the Naruto fans and i think it might be interesting for the female audience as well. It has maybe some 4-5 not too ecchi ecchi scenes during the whole series and it has no bad language as far as i can remember. (And do drop the dubs, they are fantasticly hideous, i for once cant stand anything dubbed, i prefer subs any time of the day, the original VA's are 100x better)
Old 2006-10-10, 02:44   Link #19
Maceart
Doremi-fansubs founder
*Fansubber

26 episodes? Mai-Hime Mai-Otome double combo is a good choice, along with a dosage of PlanetES to get your club on the thinking side. Black Cat is also quite decent to show at an anime club.

But, Suzumiya Haruhi no Yuutsu is a no brainer.

AIR 2005! Kanon 2006! CLANNAD 2007-2008! Planetarian OAV/Movie 2010?
Old 2006-10-10, 03:46   Link #20
Cz
Needs more sleep~

How about Stellvia of the Universe? Oh wait, there's some romance in there, so you might not want it. Still, it's an (IMO) awesome sci-fi anime. EDIT: I just noticed at least two people recommended this before me.

Or maybe Madlax or Scrapped Princess. I would also recommend Yakitate!! Japan - which is still on Animesuki - since it's very hilarious, but it's also over 60 episodes long.
Closed Thread