Old 2006-02-07, 23:40   Link #281
musouka

Spoiler for ep 17:

Spoiler for ep 18:
musouka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-02-08, 07:42   Link #282
wao
OK.

There's an interesting interview with the director here. (In Japanese.)

When I read that the director found the idea of things being true only when they are observed interesting, I *finally* got the connection between Schroedinger's cat and that thing about what Haruka sees is what comes true... In that interview he said "量子論では観察することによって存在が確定する(※1)という考えがあり面白いなと" - "I found this notion in quantum physics, where something exists because it has been observed, quite interesting"

So it's like Schroedinger's cat where you don't know if it's dead or not until you've seen it.

Although I don't know where to go from that... dead brain... slooow... waiting eagerly for ep 17, I've seen screencaps of it and it looks good enough. Though ep 18 seems like it's going to be even better, it's got an interesting title...
Spoiler:
Old 2006-02-08, 08:56   Link #283
Splendiferous
To Shangrila or Bust!

Thanks for the interview reference and thoughts Wao!

As for episode 17:

Spoiler:
Splendiferous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-02-08, 09:42   Link #284
MrProphet
The Commissar Vanishes

Send a message via ICQ to MrProphet
Quote:
Originally Posted by wao
So it's like Schroedinger's cat where you don't know if it's dead or not until you've seen it.
Not exactly, but close.

Untill you've opened up the box, the cat is both alive and dead, because the probabilities of it being alive and being dead are equal.

But when you see it, it stops being both and becomes something coherent, either this or that. So, the fact that we observe something makes it less "ambiguous" and more "real".

But the point is similar.
MrProphet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-02-08, 10:57   Link #285
MrProphet
The Commissar Vanishes

Wow, 17 was actually a great episode. I disargee that the fight was less dramatic than Fukurou vs. Karasu. Of course, that one had extra friends-fighting-against-each-other drama added to the mix, but I though that Kosagi and Karasu managed to have a fight that was unlike all the previous ones.

Karasu vs. Isuka was in the forest. Karasu vs. Atori were mostly air battles. Karasu vs. Fukurou was fought over the bay.

Karasu vs. Kosagi seemed to be a first true urban fight. I loved the way they used man-made things in their fight, like evading through the strrets and fighting on an airplane wing.

Very cool, in my opinion.

And I am very much interested in what Amamiku had to say. Something about dimensions and electron spin...

Spoiler for next episode:
Old 2006-02-09, 19:10   Link #286
MrProphet
The Commissar Vanishes

The fans of the gobbledygook science of Noein might want to read this fun little article I found via link on Slashdot.

Nasty Little Truth About Spacetime Physics
Nothing Can Move in Spacetime! By Definition!

http://www.rebelscience.org/Crackpots/notorious.htm

Just one quote says it all.

Quote:
Nothing can move in spacetime or in a time dimension-axis by definition. This is because motion in time is self-referential. It is for this reason that Sir Karl Popper compared Einstein's spacetime to Parmenide's unchanging block universe[*], in which nothing ever happens.
The guy who wrote it is somewhat on crack, but it's a fun read anyway and if the quantum physicist wannabes from Satellite amused you, then this one will too. 8)
Old 2006-02-10, 01:25   Link #287
IMSabbel

Dont read it.
Even if you nothing about quantum mechanics, reading this bullshit will make you dumber.

The guy doesnt even know basic calculus and the bullshit he posted is proven wrong in all kind of everyday effects.

not to mention that all three words in the url should make big warning lights flash...

And about the schrödingers cat: its not equally likely for it to be death or alive. You CAN calculate the propobilitly of it being alive. Obviously it WILL drop with time.
But only if you take a look, it will be realized.

Take as a example the young double slit experiment, with electrons:
You send electrons against those slits, and each is observed as a dot on a screen.
If you close one slit for 5 second, you will get a peak on a screen behind the one left open (a Sinc-peak, to be sure). Close that one, and you get a peak behind the other.
This is because you observed (by chosing only to open one slit) where the electron went to. This is similar to opening the cage.

But what happens when both are open? You dont observe, so electrons go through BOTH slits, virtually. And thus, the chance of getting dots on the screen isnt the sum of those two peaks, but gets interference patterns.
And to show this isnt wave interference i took electrons as example, as you can see one dot on the screen appear after another, seemingly independent... but when you add up enough of them you get the "big picture", i.e. the effects of the "non-knowledge" in the path of the particles.
IMSabbel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-02-10, 03:31   Link #288
wao
OK.

Wow, the fight in episode 17 was great - short, but very full of action and I liked the way they just swooped everywhere.

Am I the only one who thinks
Spoiler:

I liked the whole lipstick thing by the way, the way it was rubbed off at the end.

Next episode it's like everyone has said, the shit is really going ot hit the fan now!
Old 2006-02-11, 10:08   Link #289
Splendiferous
To Shangrila or Bust!

Quote:
Am I the only one who thinks
Spoiler:
Spoiler:

Hmmm that's a good thought, it's just one minor detail that makes me think otherwise:

Spoiler:
Old 2006-02-12, 12:48   Link #290
User35785

For japanese learners, I have completed the script for Episode 1 of Noein, now near perfection, uploaded the one for Episode 2 (but still needs quality check), and I am halfway done through Episode 3.

Scripts and progress can be viewed on this very simple web page:
http://www.shirakawaakira.net/noein/
User35785 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-02-12, 21:16   Link #291
Kaoru Chujo
Yuuki Aoi

Ah, episode 17! Someone said that not much happened. Whaaa? Let's see...
Spoiler for episode 17:
Isn't that enough?

Have I mentioned how much I love the OP? I have found myself watching it all the way through every week, something I don't do for many OPs. Music-image-voice: all great.

As one Japanese-language learner, I want to thank Shirakawa Akira for the scripts.

And thanks to wao for the link to the interview with the director, who among other things confirms that he is using the word noein from the Greek, by way of the early 20th-century philosopher Heidegger, to mean perception of what is. He thought that gave it an interesting sound.
YUUKI Aoi 悠木碧. b92.03.27 (age 29). 2008 Kurenai (Murasaki). 2009 Yumeiro Pâtissière (Ichigo), Kiruminzuu (Riko), Yutori-chan (Yutori-chan). 2010 Vampire Bund (Mina Tepeş), Shiki (Sunako), Samurai Girls (Juubee), Pokémon: Black and White (Iris). 2011 Madoka Magica (Madoka), Gosick (Victorique), A-Channel (Tooru). 2012 Symphogear (Hibiki). 2014 Pilot's Love Song (Claire/Nina), Nanatsu no Taizai (Diane). 2015 Owari no Seraph (Krul Tepes), Rokka no Yuusha (Fremy). 2016 Boku no Hero Academia (Tsuyu, Froppy). 2017 Kino no Tabi (Kino). 2021 Kumo desu ga (watashi), Kaizoku Oujo (Karin), Heike Monogatari (Biwa), etc., etc. Total of 513 roles in anime and games.
Kaoru Chujo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-02-12, 22:03   Link #292
kenpachi
tabibito

forgive me for being ignorant...but what is noein actually??
kenpachi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-02-12, 22:51   Link #293
Kaoru Chujo
Yuuki Aoi

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenpachi
....what is noein actually??
I'm not really the person to say, but since I just posted about it, I'll take a stab. There was a long discussion about it earlier in the thread where people may know more than I.

Noein (originally noeein) is a word used in ancient Greek philosophy. It basically means "to perceive," or "to notice." Heidegger apparently took it as part of his philosophy, to mean the perception of what actually exists, as opposed to just an idea or something.

Maybe others can explain better, but that meaning certainly would fit here.
YUUKI Aoi 悠木碧. b92.03.27 (age 29). 2008 Kurenai (Murasaki). 2009 Yumeiro Pâtissière (Ichigo), Kiruminzuu (Riko), Yutori-chan (Yutori-chan). 2010 Vampire Bund (Mina Tepeş), Shiki (Sunako), Samurai Girls (Juubee), Pokémon: Black and White (Iris). 2011 Madoka Magica (Madoka), Gosick (Victorique), A-Channel (Tooru). 2012 Symphogear (Hibiki). 2014 Pilot's Love Song (Claire/Nina), Nanatsu no Taizai (Diane). 2015 Owari no Seraph (Krul Tepes), Rokka no Yuusha (Fremy). 2016 Boku no Hero Academia (Tsuyu, Froppy). 2017 Kino no Tabi (Kino). 2021 Kumo desu ga (watashi), Kaizoku Oujo (Karin), Heike Monogatari (Biwa), etc., etc. Total of 513 roles in anime and games.
Kaoru Chujo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-02-12, 23:38   Link #294
musouka

Man, do I really have to defend my own personal impressions of an ep?

Spoiler for ep 17:

Again, it wasn't a bad ep. It was a good ep. But compared to how I felt about it (entertained) and then compared to how I felt about the ep 18 preview (HOLY SHIT), there's a difference there, and I was just trying to state how I felt.
musouka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-02-12, 23:41   Link #295
AnimePlus
Banned

Send a message via AIM to AnimePlus
I am downloading this right now to do a preview for my next cast, I have high expectations for this haha
AnimePlus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-02-13, 09:04   Link #296
PastPrime

I was thinking about the episode with the time phone and I thought of something.
Spoiler:
PastPrime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-02-14, 06:00   Link #297
User35785

Yes, speaking of story progress, episode 17 was a bit disappointing, expecially after the semi-recap episode 16. But I think that next one will be very interesting!

Spoiler:

*Now the script for episode 2 (Iede) in my website below is almost error-free! Check it out
User35785 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-02-14, 06:35   Link #298
wao
OK.

Waaaahhhh! There's a nice interview with Kazuki Akane on the ever so great Web Anime Style Japanese online magazine about anime...

So we're blessed with 2 interviews now, I can't help but bring myself to want to translate at least one of them.

Though it'll be hard...

And the best thing about hte Anime Style one is that they're usually in many parts, and indeed there will be a part 2 where htey talk about the character designer too. Yeah!
Old 2006-02-14, 16:39   Link #299
Splendiferous
To Shangrila or Bust!

Hey Wao, you'd be doing a great service to a lot of us on this thread if you were able to translate some of those interviews...

No pressure
Old 2006-02-14, 18:20   Link #300
AnimePlus
Banned

Send a message via AIM to AnimePlus
How do you pronounce Noein?
AnimePlus is offline   Reply With Quote