AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Haruhi Suzumiya

Notices

Old 2008-03-05, 04:12   Link #281
Jaden

I see. Well, that's Korea for you....guess there's no problem then.
Old 2008-03-05, 04:41   Link #282
dkellis
illusion control
*Author

Send a message via ICQ to dkellis Send a message via AIM to dkellis Send a message via MSN to dkellis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raijinken View Post
Well, as far as weapon changes... I don't see any reason to switch from a knife. Granted, bare hands ARE sonething to be scared of, especially when he's already proven that not only can he seal off the room, but Kyon-ko suddenly can't move at all.

On the other hand... At that state of vunerability, if the bastard's holding a knife, you know what's going to happen. You're getting shanked. Bare hands though, makes it a question of how exactly he's going to do it.

But then, knives are efficiant (My spelling sucks people, if that's wrong), and that's why I think either gender of Ryou would stick with it. Slit her throat, and leave. No questions asked, and plenty of time to get away before they are.

Also, no matter what happens, Yuuki has to have a badass level equivilant to Sephiroth's when he comes in to the rescue. Killing Kyon-ko is sin, pure and simple.

...It doesn't help matters that I was still a Yuki fanboy before this happened, I guess...

That will never change.
Hm. Well, that does make a lot of sense.

I suppose I should try it both ways, and see which one works better.

Spoiler for Asakura with knife:

Spoiler for Asakura without knife:
dkellis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-03-05, 04:43   Link #283
Jintor

I prefer knife.
Jintor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-03-05, 04:51   Link #284
dkellis
illusion control
*Author

Send a message via ICQ to dkellis Send a message via AIM to dkellis Send a message via MSN to dkellis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jintor View Post
I prefer knife.
Knife it is, then.
Old 2008-03-05, 05:10   Link #285
Jintor

Oh, yeah - I agree with the "Kyon-ko should be slightly taller" faction. She's a little too short atm.
Jintor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-03-05, 05:29   Link #286
Ascaloth
I don't give a damn, dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bean Bandit View Post
*Ponders*

I have been considering the issue of 'Haruki' being an ill fitting piece of this puzzle. While I applaud the concept of Modeling him on Kamina and The Ouran male lead, I think he might be a little too generic still.

What I'm advocating is...in addition to Kamina and Tamaki...Mix in a dash of Sousuke Sagara as well?

Perhaps not so deadly serious, but an encyclopedic knowledge of Anime and Fiction devoted to his favorite subjects leaves him short on common sense? (The Cosplay Rape Scene with Mitsuuru makes me want to see Haruki tell Kyon-ko that crossdressers are a very important factor with groups of this kind)

As for the Why...Haruki, as he's shaping up right now, doesn't seem as likable as Haruhi. Her aggressiveness translates badly into a male character. (I think this has been said before) If we add something of an endearing blind spot to explain it (Like obviously having watched far too many anime: Something Haruhi {Female} Could also be said to have done, given her impromtu lecture on moe, in the anime, Kyon-ko might be less aggressively inclined. As in "He's not a Jerk, he's just an idiot.")

Side note: Kyon-ko muttering 'Baka' Ala Ruri Hoshino from Nadesico is too cute. @_@

Also, I would like to voice a vote against any influence from Shana in Kyon-ko's evolution. Her Charm comes from Worldweary Sarcasm and aplomb with which she tackles life. There are already far too many Tsunderes that yell and hit things, IMO.
That sounds a lot more like Genshiken than anything else. Hmmm....a Haruki whose weirdness stems in part from a view of the world warped by his otaku-ness?

.....Sounds good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raijinken View Post
A dash of Sagara?

Hm... you've just given me a mental image of intense military attitude and strategy when Day of Sagitarious comes around.

Now I'm thinking of him 'drooping' when he finds out that Yuuki is the one kicking ass.

...Now I'm thinking of the computer club turning into insane fangirls at the sight of their god, Yuuki. Then getting rabid when they realize he'll be spending time with them. Man that's hilarious. Join the Yuuki harem today!

But wait, at the start of all that, the head of the computer club gets drop-kicked in the side of the head. Can't have that, no. Breaking a GIRL'S spine for a change wouldn't be funny, would it? *Mumble...*

Well... like, half the comedy of that scene was Haruhi flying right out of an off-screen plot-hole at mach two to deliver the kick. Whatever happens there has to be a bolt from the blue too, I think.

What do the masses think?
Since everyone seems to be worried about the implications of a guy Haruki being so violent to a girl, why not have him grab and judo-manhandle the female Computer Club President in a manner that could be construed as highly sexual? It would fit with his skirt-chaser manner, too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaden View Post
Computer club is a bit of a problem. Firstly you could search for a thousand years and probably not find an all-female computer club. Especially if they're all as hot as in some of that fanart. And how will they be extorted? Pictures of sexual harrassment wouldn't work. I'm thinking Haruki will steal the president's "D drive" and dig up some really nasty material to extort her with. However this will waste an important Mikuru-moment. And already the fact that Haruki is extorting a group of girls is hard to swallow.

And in Day of Sagittarius, it's a bit strange for an all-female computer club to be developing real-time strategy games, or to try getting back at the SOS-dan with such methods. It also kinda feels like Haruki would more likely laugh off their challenge than accept it. Something for you folks to think about, my imagination is at a dead end.
Maybe turn them into the "Fujoshi" Club? One that has reason to make use of computers to churn out the doujin material they're preparing for Comiket. Maybe they even specialize in producing some kind of doujin software game centering around yaoi.....

....I'm starting to fear what the Day of Sagittarius sequence will turn into.
Ascaloth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-03-05, 05:34   Link #287
dkellis
illusion control
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jintor View Post
Oh, yeah - I agree with the "Kyon-ko should be slightly taller" faction. She's a little too short atm.
Oh, I don't know. I read someone commenting on Kyonko as "aww, tiny little cute sarcastic person", and it stuck with me. If I may be selfish, I'd say that Kyonko being short is part of the charm for me.

-

Random thoughts:

I had this long list of ways for characters to refer to each other, but I seem to have lost it. So, from what I can remember:

Haruhi to Kyon: "Kyon"
Haruki to Kyonko: "Kyonko" (or "Kyon" or whatever her nickname ends up being)

Kyon to Haruhi: "Suzumiya-san" originally, "Haruhi" after some time
Kyonko to Haruki: The same, I think.

Haruhi to Mikuru: "Mikuru-chan"
Haruki to Mitsuru/Minoru/whatever: I don't know. "Minoru"? "Minoru-kun"? "Asahina"? "Asahina-kun"?

Haruhi to Koizumi: "Koizumi"
Haruki to Koizumi: "Koizumi-san", perhaps. Just "Koizumi" sounds a bit strange.

Haruhi to Yuki: "Yuki"
Haruki to Yuuki: "Yuuki" or "Yuuki-kun"? Or "Nagato-kun"?

Kyon to Yuki: "Nagato-san"
Kyonko to Yuuki: The same, probably.

Kyon to Mikuru: "Asahina-san"
Kyonko to Minoru: Probably the same, or "Asahina-sempai".

Kyon to Koizumi: "Koizumi"
Kyonko to Koizumi: Good question. Will address in a bit.

As far as I can tell, Koizumi, Nagato, and Asahina address everyone around them as "surname-san", except for Kyon. Asahina calls Kyon "Kyon-kun", and I don't remember Koizumi and Nagato ever addressing Kyon by (nick)name at all. If they did, it's probably "Kyon", but I need to check that.

Gender flip that, and it's likely to stay the same, except for Kyonko and Koizumi. From what I can tell, usually when female students address their female friends, it's on a first-name basis, with "-chan" occasionally, or maybe a cutesy nickname. When they're being polite to each other (whether because they don't know each other that well, or it's just their nature), it becomes "surname-san" again. So Tsuruya calls Mikuru "Mikuru-chan", and Mikuru calls Tsuruya "Tsuruya-san".

So, would Female Koizumi call Kyonko "Kyon", or "Kyon-chan"? Would Kyonko call Female Koizumi "Koizumi-san", or by her first name? Or maybe even just "Koizumi", like in the canon?
Old 2008-03-05, 05:41   Link #288
panzerfan
Name means little...
*Graphic Designer

I agree. I do not think Kyon is all that short at all. Too short and the fellow cannot be said as average anymore.

And here's a doctored picture I did just now.

(I think I am hopelessly finding Kyon moe now)

It would be enough for the depressing things in life to only exist in reality.
It is because that I think the birth of a story... is from people dreaming of a happy ending. ~Misaka Shiori

Last edited by panzerfan; 2008-03-05 at 06:18.
panzerfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-03-05, 06:06   Link #289
dkellis
illusion control
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by panzerfan View Post
I agree. I do not think Kyon is all that short at all. Too short and the fellow cannot be said as average anymore.
That's only if you're going into heights which are obviously unusual for Kyonko's age. From the pictures I've seen, Kyonko isn't that short; she's just not very tall. She'd probably be around canon Yuki's height, which isn't unusually short.

Canon Kyon is said to be "average" in that he does not have any spectacularly special powers, which is what I assumed the term "average" as applied to Kyon meant, rather than average in everything, including body proportions. After all, his breadth of trivia knowledge, his sense of humour, and his patience with Haruhi's antics might be argued to be not that average.

Kyonko can still be described as "average" at her current portrayed height, even if it's "averagely short".

I admit that I'm just arguing this stance because I like Kyonko being short for a vaguely obscure aesthetic reason, and I'm also perfectly happy to agree to disagree.
Old 2008-03-05, 06:29   Link #290
DannyCat
Currently Observing.

Kyon being short is fine because we don't want her to be just regular Kyon's frame with breasts and ponytail (as some simple photoshops tend to do). She's gotta be feminine in build, and her smaller size contributes very strongly to that. Not saying make her tiny, but...moe-sized.
DannyCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-03-05, 07:57   Link #291
FatPianoBoy
Dansa med oss

This discussion is really starting to tickle my sociology fetish. It's clearly much more than crazed fans run amok at this point.
FatPianoBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-03-05, 08:24   Link #292
Keroko
Adeptus Animus
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skane View Post
Well... there are some scenes that might seem a little too overboard due to the gender-swap, like Haruhi dragging Kyon by the collar through a hallway, or Yuki round-kneeing Kyon inside Asakura's world.

And then there is the issue of the bunny-suits... keep them (for maximum mind-breaking hilarity), or find a masculine equivalent?

Neo-Haruhi: "I'm secure enough in my masculinity to wear these bunny-suits!"
Neo-Kyon: *clawing eyes out*

Also... there is one scene in Vol.02 that will lose a lot of its impact due to the gender switch, as the idea of a girl psychically hitting a boy is not as dramatic as a boy beating on a girl.

Cheers.
Haruhi dragging Kyon through the hallways by the collar could still be used, I don't see that much of a problem with it. Perhaps for more comedic factor it could have standing and struggling.

Which reminds me, there is also the scene in which Haruhi grabs Kyon's tie when she reqruits him. I figured a comedic shift would be Haruki grabbing Kyonko's shoulders while staring into her eyes, while Kyonko blushingly wonders what the hell he is talking about.

Bunny suits... Haruhi's goal was to atract members, I think Haruki would be smart enough to realize that this would have the oposite effect. I'd say find a masculine equivelant. Perhaps sexy surf outfits?

As for that scene in volume 2, yes that does lose a lot of its impact. I'll have to think about that one a bit more.
Keroko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-03-05, 08:30   Link #293
panzerfan
Name means little...
*Graphic Designer

Circumstances would be a bit different. I suppose something level headed yet rather extreme is calling the cops for bullying and harassment and only having Koizumi snap the phone cord as it rings through.

It would be enough for the depressing things in life to only exist in reality.
It is because that I think the birth of a story... is from people dreaming of a happy ending. ~Misaka Shiori

panzerfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-03-05, 08:43   Link #294
Keroko
Adeptus Animus
*Author

That's only if Kyonko actually calls the police, though. In which case kyon would have done so a lot of times, as Haruhi is prone to sexual harasment.
Old 2008-03-05, 08:54   Link #295
Kristen
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keroko View Post
Haruhi dragging Kyon through the hallways by the collar could still be used, I don't see that much of a problem with it. Perhaps for more comedic factor it could have standing and struggling.

Which reminds me, there is also the scene in which Haruhi grabs Kyon's tie when she reqruits him. I figured a comedic shift would be Haruki grabbing Kyonko's shoulders while staring into her eyes, while Kyonko blushingly wonders what the hell he is talking about.

Bunny suits... Haruhi's goal was to atract members, I think Haruki would be smart enough to realize that this would have the oposite effect. I'd say find a masculine equivelant. Perhaps sexy surf outfits?

As for that scene in volume 2, yes that does lose a lot of its impact. I'll have to think about that one a bit more.
Well, Haruhi is harrament-prone, so instead of the tie, Haruki would probably grab Kyon-ko by that bow that connects the black coat together, even though that is a girl's breasts.
Old 2008-03-05, 09:10   Link #296
Keroko
Adeptus Animus
*Author

Concidering the scene is meant to be comedic, it would be kind of counter productive. DJ's idea of Haruki carying Kyonko of bridal style sounds the best, now that I think of it. It would work great in combination with the 'hands on her shoulders, looking deeply into her eyes' scene that follows.
Old 2008-03-05, 09:22   Link #297
shaoron
AQS representative

HOLD IT!!!

i thought we agreed that ryou-kun would have a katana instead!?
shaoron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-03-05, 10:00   Link #298
dkellis
illusion control
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaoron View Post
Why?

I mean, I don't have any objections per se to that idea, but why a katana in specific? What's wrong with the combat knife?

I'm asking not because I disagree, but mostly because it seems kind of non-sequitur.
Old 2008-03-05, 10:06   Link #299
Wild Goose
Truth Martyr
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaoron View Post
HOLD IT!!!

*stealths in*

Nah, a knife's more practical and efficient for close quaters combat, especially in a room full of desks and the likes.

Hell, US Navy SEALs, badasses among badasses, are encouraged to use smaller blades; in the words of a SEAL Chief Petty Officer instructor at SEAL Qualification Training: "All you need is a good three inch folding knife. A Machete or large blade looks cool but is not as practical." (Quoted from Earning The Trident (Couch, 2003) by retired SEAL & former CIA case officer D. Couch.)

...besides, there's something inherently badass about a K-BAR (Ryou should be using a K-BAR, IMO, not a tanto. Tanto are more "decorative" items. K-BARs kill people. Then again, it was made to kill Japanese....)

*stealths out*

I believe in miracles.

Wild Goose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-03-05, 10:07   Link #300
shaoron
AQS representative

umm....
the... umm....
combat knife isn't manly enough for male asakura....?

if the katana is too long then we could use the shorter ones...
kodachi...?
shaoron is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
genderbender, seitenkan