AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > K-On!

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2009-05-21, 16:39   Link #41
Littm
ちょうど楽しみなさい
*IT Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Velrok View Post
'Is K-On! inspiration for you?'

And by that I mean inspiration to grab an instrument and play one of these songs main characters play.
So how did it affect you? Is it just another comedy show or an inspiration?
For me K-On is just a very nice slice of life show with musical background and music isn't really a main part of it. But takes enough of time in it, of course.
Old 2009-05-21, 16:42   Link #42
Sheba
RUN, YOU FOOLS!

Location: Formerly Iwakawa base and Chaldea. Now Teyvat, the Astral Express & the Outpost
I have a horrible rythm sense, so K-On or not I am not ready to pick an instrument anytime soon. Better be focusing on my other strenght, writing and world building.
Old 2009-05-21, 17:17   Link #43
fish eric
like to talk to fish?

If anyone here on this forum is interested in getting an electric guitar to learn on I can recommend the best value to you. www.RondoMusic.com (no affiliation). They have SX brand stratocaster and telecaster copies for around $100.

These guitars will beat the pants off of the cheap fender stuff (not that you can call fender's cheap stuff cheap anymore).

I own a few vintage guitars worth alot of money. A Sadowsky bass. A gibson les paul. The SX guitars are the best quality in the $100 range.
Old 2009-05-25, 03:56   Link #44
Daishi-sama

Send a message via AIM to Daishi-sama
I won't lie, it's kind of gotten me on a jrock/jpunk kick. I've been listening to female jrock and punk bands constantly, bands I never even knew about. Not only that but it has made me pick my guitar up again just to fiddle around. The way Yui learns how to play guitar in the show is pretty close to what my experience was.
Old 2009-05-27, 10:17   Link #45
Kazane

It made me continue to learn the piano, so I guess it was a musical inspiration. Then again, I'm really easily inspired. That's probably a good thing, huh?
Old 2009-05-27, 12:41   Link #46
Vital Regions

To some extent, yes, K-ON! inspires me. Not as effectively as Nodame Cantabile, since my instrument of choice is the violin, but watching Yui just learning an instrument from scratch much like I am gives me a bit of a confidence boost when working with my violin.
Old 2009-05-31, 02:38   Link #47
pagan poor
Swayin' to the beat

I've been playing piano since I was 6, and played off and on most of my life, mostly on. Done the recital thing as a kid, been in a couple of bands, wrote music and lyrics. Now I record different things using the computer. I'm mainly a keyboardist, but also play bass, and some basic guitar.

K-On! has almost inspired me to get a Les Paul, or a good copy. But my wallet says "no". Well so far...

Quote:
Originally Posted by fish eric View Post
If anyone here on this forum is interested in getting an electric guitar to learn on I can recommend the best value to you. www.RondoMusic.com (no affiliation). They have SX brand stratocaster and telecaster copies for around $100.

These guitars will beat the pants off of the cheap fender stuff (not that you can call fender's cheap stuff cheap anymore).

I own a few vintage guitars worth alot of money. A Sadowsky bass. A gibson les paul. The SX guitars are the best quality in the $100 range.
Yes, but those don't have the star power or the "mojo" of a Gibson or Fender. Gibson and Fender have their own "starter sets" that they sell at stores like Best Buy. But I've read up that the Rondo guitars are definitely better than those starter sets.
Old 2009-05-31, 06:45   Link #48
the Lone Knight
Is many things in one...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daishi-sama View Post
I won't lie, it's kind of gotten me on a jrock/jpunk kick. I've been listening to female jrock and punk bands constantly, bands I never even knew about. Not only that but it has made me pick my guitar up again just to fiddle around. The way Yui learns how to play guitar in the show is pretty close to what my experience was.
Similar story here. (What's a C chord again? Wait, lookit! X chord! TWANG! XD )

>"The universe isn't just of extremes, it's of balances between those extremes... Light and dark, love and hate, good and evil. Fate and free will... Learn to see with more than just your eyes... Achtung!" -Me

Meine galerie: http://the-loneknight.deviantart.com
das studio: http://dreamshift.deviantart.com
Old 2009-05-31, 08:01   Link #49
wanshin

haha i was kinda jealous that Yui learnt the guitar relatively fast, since i had a bumpy start..that drove me to practice like mad these days since i was free, somehow my electric jazz scales improved a little ^_^
anyhow i play with all the correct fingering and methods...and im better than Yui...so haha..

but i have a feeling she will overtake me by the end of the series...arrrggghhhh no...must...not..lose!!
Old 2009-07-22, 02:41   Link #50
Da~Mike

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nappy Hared Azn View Post
Inspiration? Not really. I've always been a musical kind of guy, and to be honest, I've always found the guitar to be rather over-rated. I mean, I like to listen to guitars, but I never felt the desire to play them, even though I play sax, piano, trombone, trumpet, and pretty much every non-stringed instrument common in jazz. Also, the music isn't really all that spectacular either. I've grown up listening to real rock, so my standards are pretty high . . . high to the point where the entire genre of J-rock just feels inferior. That's not to say that I don't enjoy the music, it's just that it doesn't fit very well into my definition of rock.

I watch the show for the show, not the music.
I completely agree with you regarding the music of K-On. It's anything but a bloody inspiration to me at all, considering that real rock is almost extinct (and that I very much prefer Jazz), and that the music in K-On is, well, very much representative of the genre that seems to shift record sales easily to the masses.

Now on a slightly different issue, I'm not sure if I'm the only one who feels particularly agitated by the author of K-On's contentious attitude towards drummers by creating a character that plays the drums, due to her her inability to articulate her fingers with sufficient dexterity, thus implying that the drums is a "doss". I can play all four of the instruments portrayed in the anime, and whilst the melodic instruments certainly require a high degree of digital manual dexterity for the more advanced techniques, kit drumming requires a completely different skill that itself, is incredibly difficult to master: 4-way coordination, or basically, the ability to use all your limbs independently and coherently (particularly in Jazz).

Though perhaps the level of drumming represented in K-On equates to the character's supposed lack of technical skill. Speed drumming and the brass-monkey style of drumming is all too prevalent these days (also represented in the anime) and quite frankly, I find that sickening.

But yes, almost anyone with an almost complete lack of musical talent could probably "whack" the drums for the beats played in the songs in K-On.
Gone are the great technicians such as Buddy Rich and Gene Krupa who make the kind of drumming that we hear in K-On (and plenty of pop songs) the stuff of babies.

Aside from musical hoo-ha, the anime was quite good I suppose, in an extremely "moe-moe kyun" kind of way...

Last edited by Da~Mike; 2009-08-10 at 07:32. Reason: typos & wrong emoticon
Old 2009-07-22, 10:36   Link #51
ichigo_m
Melting - Just because I

Send a message via AIM to ichigo_m Send a message via Yahoo to ichigo_m
k-on made me play guitar. Actually I used to refuse when my mom wanted me to get a guitar but now I play all the time (ok I'm still learning but whatever)
The same thing happened with tiny snow fairy sugar, it inspired me to continue playing piano.
Old 2009-07-22, 10:53   Link #52
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Mostly, it just got me interested in picking up my music again. I've played many instruments but always kind of regretted not spending more time with bass guitar. It isn't that the K-On music is that great -- but it does have that beginner-garage-band sort of feel I've always liked to hear where people appear to be having fun even if they aren't technical aces.
Old 2009-07-22, 11:01   Link #53
Squawks
PSI you from behind

Quote:
Originally Posted by RhapsodyInBlue View Post
Seeing them having fun during the festival as a reward of their hard work really inspired me to practice more with my keyboard. I usually don't practice everyday since I'm lazy but the show inspired me to practice daily at least 1-2 hours so that in the future my hard work will also be rewarded. Don't say "lazy".

Oh, before I do that, I need to buy a real piano instead of practicing on my crappy 61-key keyboard.
They never work hard, like, at all.

Besides, this is a comedy show. I can imagine that BECK could inspire you, but this? Come on. That's like that thread on MAL with the guy who bought an electric guitar because he likes K-On.
Old 2009-07-25, 00:56   Link #54
ImezameI
Keyboard Newbie

Send a message via MSN to ImezameI
K-on! were a huge inspiration for me. i used to have this keyboard just laying around. but during the first episode i got this huge urge to find it and start playing seriously. so now im playing and trying to improve everyday, and when im not feeling that i want to play anymore i just watch another episode xD
Old 2009-07-25, 01:01   Link #55
masterkitfisto
king of the black otaku!

Well i mean sure it was great show (even funny at times) but to go as far and to say it was an..."inspiration" i myself would not....
Old 2009-07-28, 15:31   Link #56
Explicit
Jag föstår

Send a message via MSN to Explicit
Absolutely not. To be honest, I don't even think of "K-ON!" as a music-genre anime series.
Old 2009-07-30, 02:28   Link #57
VentAileron

I liked their songs myself. it's great to have songs that you like to play on whatever instrument you're playing or want to play. I've been practicing on them for a while (along with other more 'boring' material) Though anyone starting off should realize you can't learn an instrument by going to summer camps and end up only playing on the beach...

I seem to think exactly opposite as Da~Mike; I liked their music, but the show wasn't much special nor a good comedy. Just an overdose on moe'ness that I can't seem to enjoy. Though implying that pop-songs with mediocore drumming are for babies is a bit harsh...
Old 2009-07-30, 04:25   Link #58
kenjiharima
Mizore-chan

I like the K-on songs, but that's just it. No lyrics gave me the inspiration to play any musical instruments.

Well as they say, some just like to listen.
Old 2009-07-30, 04:48   Link #59
klare

i started playing guitar more than 10 years ago, inspired by a rock band

K-ON! gives me entertainment, good songs, and of course a lot of very cute charaters

i especially like to watch the close relationship among the band members, very enjoyable

i dont have an urge to play their songs (actually i cannot even i want to )
Old 2009-08-07, 22:03   Link #60
Mishi-Kun

I didn't touched the guitar in a while, but when my brother showed me this anime i just got up learned all the k-on stuff i could. Since i learned all the k-on songs I could learn, I wanna learn other songs ^^
Awesome.
Closed Thread