Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2008-03-07, 18:41   Link #521
Sorrow-K
Somehow I found out

Quote:
Originally Posted by KholdStare View Post
Well I actually finished it, and it was not as disturbing as I thought, since Tonegawa didn't scream or anything, but just passed out.

What I can't believe is 1) why did Kaiji let the others hold his money and 2) why didn't the others tried to pull something. I'm pretty sure the chairman doesn't care if someone stole Kaiji's money, but this goes completely against the first arc, where humans completely change their emotions as soon as they get the upper hand.
Yeah, I agree with that. I found that strange as well. I mean, sure, they witnessed something incredible, but these are men who have been portrayed as pariahs, just like Kaiji, except without Kaiji's wit and awareness and humanity. That all of them would suddenly turn into trustworthy people with noble intents, even while one of them carried a bag with 2 million yen in it that wasn't rightly his, required me to suspend disbelief quite a bit further.

I think 26 is a fair number of episodes for this. E-card took about seven episodes, so I could see a game being wrapped up in four. I don't think Kaiji will struggle all too much to get the chairman into playing. He has a fair grasp on the chairman's philosophy on life, so I'd figure he'd manipulate it in some way to challenge the chairman to a game.

Which should be good. I'm looking forward to the chairman going under the microscope (which always happens to the antagonists in these game situations, eg Tonegawa). I always find these types of characters so fascinating, ie, people who are at the top, but make no bones about the fact that they had to step on people to get there. A match between Kaiji and someone like that would be a fitting climax to this series, if only for the chance to see a good old fashion character analysis of the chairman. Like we saw of Washizu at the end of Akagi, right at the moment where his sanity was pushed to the limit.
Sorrow-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-03-08, 03:18   Link #522
SuperKnuckles
Anime Hobbyist

I don't mind one bit that they find their salvation in Kaiji and earnestly respect him.

Sure, in any other given situation, they might lynch him but I don't think the Chairman would like that like you guys say. The Chairman sees Kaiji as a definite player. You off the player, and you can bet heads will roll. Kaiji has made himself quite the commodity and I bet the Chairman is enamored with him, no matter how perverted his thought process may be.
SuperKnuckles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-03-12, 12:32   Link #523
Deathkillz
~ You're dead ^__^* ~
*Graphic Designer

Send a message via MSN to Deathkillz
ep 23
Spoiler:

Siggy: hohohohoho~ | AnimeHistory welcome to our blog ~ | Summer2009 early review
Under the radar series Summer2009: Kanamemo, GA Geijutsuka Art, NEEDLESS
Deathkillz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-03-13, 11:35   Link #524
Likely

im a newcomer to this series, but wow, this is such a good anime. i caught to up ep 22 within 2 days. talk about suspense and dark drama, it was hard to tear my eyes (not literally!) away from any minute of it. for kaiji's current situation, i believe he is doing too much though. he has just accomplished what one in a million could do. i believe in pressing when you are ahead too, but since his goal has been reached, now is the time to regroup. that is, of course, if he doesnt plan on eradicating every evil in the world in a swoop.

for right now, getting that bag of money away from those men and finding a hospital should be his best wager. then finding that one guy's forsaken wife and giving her some cash would be a good second step. by then if he still wants to right the world all by himself it would be the time to start forming his plans. but resting now is human.

about tonegawa... yeah he redeemed himself slightly, but lets not forget he is directly responsible for the murder of several innocent people. he is a bad person.

regardless of kaiji's rashness im eager to see the rest!
Likely is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-03-13, 14:05   Link #525
DanielSong39

Kaiji can't just quit while he's ahead since the suits are still in control of the situation. He is trying to destroy them while he can as he is in a "death match".

Let's not forget how many times Kaiji has been cheated/swindled in this series. Why should he believe that he can just take the money and run?
DanielSong39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-03-13, 14:33   Link #526
NoSanninWa
Weapon of Mass Discussion
*Fansubber

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanielSong39 View Post
Why should he believe that he can just take the money and run?
They'll let him just take the money and run because it is just chump change. 20 million yen? That's just 195,000 dollars and he's splitting it with the widow. It's certainly a lot of money, but it isn't "F You money." ("F You money" means enough money that you can just say "F*** you" to the world and live off it for the rest of your life.)

Personally I think that Kaiji really should just take his money and run since he's lucky to have gotten out of this alive, but he wants the Chairman to suffer. Such a desire for vengeance isn't a good idea, but I really hope he beats that bastard and makes him suffer the torments of the damned.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Likely View Post
about tonegawa... yeah he redeemed himself slightly, but lets not forget he is directly responsible for the murder of several innocent people. he is a bad person.
Oh I will never forget what a bastard he is, but still... I can't help admiring the strength of will that he demonstrated with his final act.

There's not that fine a line between willing suspension of disbelief and something just being stupid.
NoSanninWa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-03-13, 20:54   Link #527
DanielSong39

Tonegawa and the Chairman had multiple opportunities to pay Kaiji off but kept pushing things back.

Kaiji knows this and has to go for the kill while he can. Even if he runs off now, the Chairman will surely send for him again some time down the road.
DanielSong39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-03-13, 23:28   Link #528
gaguri

I'm pretty sure Kaiji is safe with his money if he choose to back off now. Only reason Kaiji didn't score any money before is because there were always traps that he didn't see. This E-card was also one of their traps to lure Kaiji into screwing himself up, which he overcame to their shock.
Old 2008-03-14, 02:59   Link #529
Gameboiye
Big Reader/Small Poster

What is this GAR everyone keeps talking about?
Gameboiye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-03-14, 03:02   Link #530
Klashikari
阿賀野型3番艦、矢矧 Lv180
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gameboiye View Post
What is this GAR everyone keeps talking about?
GAR is a "meme" created from the imageboard 4chan. On episode 14 of F/SN, anonymous typed "I'm gar for Archer" instead of "gay".
From here, this typo became a meme, and is used to comment how a character etc is the essence of Manliness, man of the man, etc.
Old 2008-03-14, 05:22   Link #531
Gameboiye
Big Reader/Small Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klashikari View Post
GAR is a "meme" created from the imageboard 4chan. On episode 14 of F/SN, anonymous typed "I'm gar for Archer" instead of "gay".
From here, this typo became a meme, and is used to comment how a character etc is the essence of Manliness, man of the man, etc.
Ok I'm still confused, what's a "meme" and and what's F/SN. I also don't see how GAR could be a good description of Kaiji.
Gameboiye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-03-14, 05:24   Link #532
SuperKnuckles
Anime Hobbyist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gameboiye View Post
Ok I'm still confused, what's a "meme" and and what's F/SN. I also don't see how GAR could be a good description of Kaiji.
A meme is a fad/trend basically. F/SN is Fate Stay Night whether it be the game or the anime.

And I would say Kaiji is pretty GAR in the way that he's that everyman fighting the tough fight and struggling on. Not in some pretentious way or from the handicap of being overpowered. Basically being "Gar" tends to be just that: Earnest manhood. You can even use that to describe a female.
Old 2008-03-14, 07:28   Link #533
outcast_within
pita ten pyjama!

i always thought it was the sound of a beast. gawr
a beast man
Old 2008-03-14, 08:27   Link #534
sukreih
okusenman!okusenman!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deathkillz View Post
ep 23
Spoiler:
Spoiler for ep23:
sukreih is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-03-16, 20:52   Link #535
Dookie

Triad just released ep. 23. Get it while it's hot!
Dookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-03-16, 21:33   Link #536
Dookie

Ok, just watched ep 23. What is Kaiji thinking? Like what he's doing would change anything. As if the chairman wouldn't ever do this sort of events again should Kaiji win against him. This kind of thinking is why gamblers never get out of debt.
Dookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-03-16, 23:38   Link #537
Clarste
Human

I also found it quite bizarre to watch him explain his plan. This show hardly ever explains plans in detail, even when they're obvious. It was rather unsettling to watch him slowly and carefully explain it. Oh, he's so doomed to failure, unless he's got an ace up his sleeve.
Clarste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-03-16, 23:40   Link #538
Likely

he is definately pushing his luck, a bit unrealisticly too if you ask me. a sane person would think kaiji is lucky to make it out of that building alive.

anyway, does anyone know if e-card is a real game, and if so, know where i could get a set of the cards? it looks like a fun game. i wouldnt mind swindling my brother for a few rounds.
Likely is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-03-16, 23:44   Link #539
Kang Seung Jae
神聖カルル帝国の 皇帝

Quote:
Originally Posted by Likely View Post
anyway, does anyone know if e-card is a real game, and if so, know where i could get a set of the cards? it looks like a fun game. i wouldnt mind swindling my brother for a few rounds.
You could just make up the cards.....
Kang Seung Jae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-03-17, 01:12   Link #540
SuperKnuckles
Anime Hobbyist

I'd be damn certain of an official e-card pack somewhere in Japan sooner or later. It's way too popular not to.

Tags
drama, gambling, seinen