AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Fairy Tail

Notices

Old 2009-12-29, 20:25   Link #2261
Slayerx

Y'know, Lucy having 9 of the 12 golden zodiac keys i find far fetched and yet it makes sense...

What i mean is that Lucy does not consider herself on the same level as the others and feels like she is still relatively new to working as a mage... and yet she is procession of 9 out of 12 of the most powerful spirits... it does not feel right

but at the same time mashima has presented it in such a way that it makes sense... the first 3 keys can be explained in any number of ways; most of which revolve around the fact she came from a fithy rich family that could afford such rare items... her 4th key was claimed from another rich person who could afford such things... her 5th key was gotten off an S-rank mission... her 6th key was Loki; that was more of a case of coincidence... and her last 3 keys she is getting from an S-rank Criminal who was very powerful, and thus would be more likely to carry such keys... So it actually makes sense, even if it does not feel entirely right

Though i do feel as though there was some opportunity lost with the golden keys... namely because, aside from that weaponized stellar spirit Angel used, the ONLY stellar spirits we have seen in fight have been Zodiac spirits. We never really get to see the difference in strength between a the golden keys and lesser keys; nor do we get to see how much of a difference that strength has on the the mage herself

We don't get to see that much strength progression in the characters; it's mostly because most of the cast are already monsterously strong to begin with and thus their does not seem to be much room to grow... Lucy was the exception to this as she was presented as being weaker... but so far we have not felt much growth in her as a mage... all she does is get more powerful keys which offer up her new ways to fight

frankly, i think it would have been nice to see Lucy building up to being able to use golden keys easily... such as at first we only see her able to use bronze and silver keys; she can open the golden gates, but it takes a lot out of her and she can only support them for a short amount of time... eventually it gets to the point where she can more easily use the golden keys... after that he next upgrade is being able to use a golden key while as double summoning a silver to support it... and so on in that fashion...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ellifeedn View Post
Has it been said anywhere that only the zodiac spirits have golden keys?
I'm not sure, it's atleast assumed that's the case... as i think only the zodiac keys are referred to when their is mention of a golden key... not sure if it was directly stated but that's been the case so far
Slayerx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-12-29, 20:36   Link #2262
Xellos-_^
Not Enough Sleep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slayerx View Post
Y'know, Lucy having 9 of the 12 golden zodiac keys i find far fetched and yet it makes sense...

What i mean is that Lucy does not consider herself on the same level as the others and feels like she is still relatively new to working as a mage... and yet she is procession of 9 out of 12 of the most powerful spirits... it does not feel right

but at the same time mashima has presented it in such a way that it makes sense... the first 3 keys can be explained in any number of ways; most of which revolve around the fact she came from a fithy rich family that could afford such rare items... her 4th key was claimed from another rich person who could afford such things... her 5th key was gotten off an S-rank mission... her 6th key was Loki; that was more of a case of coincidence... and her last 3 keys she is getting from an S-rank Criminal who was very powerful, and thus would be more likely to carry such keys... So it actually makes sense, even if it does not feel entirely right

Though i do feel as though there was some opportunity lost with the golden keys... namely because, aside from that weaponized stellar spirit Angel used, the ONLY stellar spirits we have seen in fight have been Zodiac spirits. We never really get to see the difference in strength between a the golden keys and lesser keys; nor do we get to see how much of a difference that strength has on the the mage herself

We don't get to see that much strength progression in the characters; it's mostly because most of the cast are already monsterously strong to begin with and thus their does not seem to be much room to grow... Lucy was the exception to this as she was presented as being weaker... but so far we have not felt much growth in her as a mage... all she does is get more powerful keys which offer up her new ways to fight

frankly, i think it would have been nice to see Lucy building up to being able to use golden keys easily... such as at first we only see her able to use bronze and silver keys; she can open the golden gates, but it takes a lot out of her and she can only support them for a short amount of time... eventually it gets to the point where she can more easily use the golden keys... after that he next upgrade is being able to use a golden key while as double summoning a silver to support it... and so on in that fashion...

I'm not sure, it's at least assumed that's the case... as i think only the zodiac keys are referred to when their is mention of a golden key... not sure if it was directly stated but that's been the case so far

per chpt3 i think the strength of a Stellar Mage determined how long a stellar spirit can stay.
Old 2009-12-29, 22:20   Link #2263
Frailty
Constellation
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xellos-_^ View Post
per chpt3 i think the strength of a Stellar Mage determined how long a stellar spirit can stay.
from what I see, I think it's also determined on how many a Stellar Mage can summon at one time

like Angel, who can summon two at the same time and they don't disappear quickly

but Lucy, remember when she's protecting Loki, she summoned all 5 zodiacs(Taurus, Aquarius, Cancer, Sagittarius & Virgo) for a short time (but 5 is quite a large number so she can't retain them in a long time)

Lucy is strong (at heart and in magic), she just don't want to admit it

Frailty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-12-29, 22:55   Link #2264
Xellos-_^
Not Enough Sleep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frailty View Post
from what I see, I think it's also determined on how many a Stellar Mage can summon at one time

like Angel, who can summon two at the same time and they don't disappear quickly

but Lucy, remember when she's protecting Loki, she summoned all 5 zodiacs(Taurus, Aquarius, Cancer, Sagittarius & Virgo) for a short time (but 5 is quite a large number so she can't retain them in a long time)

Lucy is strong (at heart and in magic), she just don't want to admit it
Lucy is strong just not compare to the monsters she is traveling with. her infeority complex comes form comparing herself to a bunch of natural disasters. compare to the avg mage Lucy is pretty strong, she certainly should be rank in the top 1/3 of Fairy Tale.

Last edited by Xellos-_^; 2009-12-29 at 23:35.
Xellos-_^ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-12-29, 23:29   Link #2265
Frailty
Constellation
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Lucy is strong just not compare to the monsters she is traveling with. her infeority complex comes form comparing herself to a bunch of natural disasters. compare to the avg mage Lucy is pretty strong, she certainly should be rank in the top 3rd of Fairy Tale.
certainly she could be one of top 10 but not top 3 (there's Gildartz, Mistgun and Natsu)
but for strongest female mage, she's probably next to Erza and Wendy (I think Wendy's strong too) XD

Old 2009-12-29, 23:34   Link #2266
Xellos-_^
Not Enough Sleep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frailty View Post
certainly she could be one of top 10 but not top 3 (there's Gildartz, Mistgun and Natsu)
but for strongest female mage, she's probably next to Erza and Wendy (I think Wendy's strong too) XD
i meant top 1/3 of the guild.
Old 2009-12-29, 23:38   Link #2267
Frailty
Constellation
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
i meant top 1/3 of the guild.
sorry, misunderstood

but hey, she is ranked close to Erza, Mirajane and Wendy
that's pretty neat

Old 2009-12-30, 00:18   Link #2268
Magin
#1 Akashiya Moka Fan
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Magin Send a message via MSN to Magin
My question is, how strong are the Spirits themselves? We've seen the capability of the others, and notice how those others (Natsu, Gray, Erza, etc.) generally take on the Big Bads, while Lucy is stuck with the lesser ones (then again, this is shounen...). That's in part why is seems she's weaker: she's always fighting the weaker enemies (and usually going through a tough fight in those cases as it is). If she were to fight one of the ones Natsu and co. usually fight, we might be able to gauge her strength better

R+V fanfic- Chapter 4 of A Water Bride and a Vampire is now up at FF.net!

All fans of Inner or Outer Moka, come join her fanclub!
Magin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-12-30, 01:29   Link #2269
Kafriel
Senior Guest

Let's see...virgo digs tunnels, cancer is a barber and Aries serves all purposes. The rest of them are pretty efficient in combat though, Lucy's power lies in her versatile artillery: against a fire mage she can use Aquarius, against a dark mage Loki, against an earth mage Virgo, etc. or use Gemini for assassination, Sagittarius for sniping, Scorpio and Taurus for brawling...it's only limited by the author's imagination, really.
Kafriel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-12-30, 06:27   Link #2270
Xhokhusmak

ha gazille wants a cat
Xhokhusmak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-12-30, 08:12   Link #2271
dee32

So what happened to Angel's fourth key Caelum? I thought Lucy would have gotten it as well. Caelum is a silver key(I guess), it great Lucy has 9 out of 12 gold keys but it would have been great if she got a new silver key. I think Lucy should be building up her supply of silver keys since they are very common and can be found in magic shops. All the traveling she does she be able to find some useful silver keys. She hasn't got a new silver key since ch.1 which was Plue. To be Caelum is a very versatile key. 1) It can be used as a cannon for long range attacks. 2) Its flight form could possible be used as a transport. 3) It sword form gives her a weapon other that her whip to use.

Last edited by dee32; 2009-12-30 at 08:29.
dee32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-12-30, 09:51   Link #2272
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.

Maybe silver keys aren't in such a hurry to replace their masters, since they're on timeshare anyway?
Anh_Minh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-12-30, 13:28   Link #2273
cloak_and_dagger
Hei aka Li Xiansheng
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kafriel View Post
Let's see...virgo digs tunnels, cancer is a barber and Aries serves ALL purposes. The rest of them are pretty efficient in combat though, Lucy's power lies in her versatile artillery: against a fire mage she can use Aquarius, against a dark mage Loki, against an earth mage Virgo, etc. or use Gemini for assassination, Sagittarius for sniping, Scorpio and Taurus for brawling...it's only limited by the author's imagination, really.
I agree with you but had to bold that first part rofl

Quote:
Originally Posted by dee32 View Post
So what happened to Angel's fourth key Caelum?
maybe Angel had enough energy to retain her most important key (is she even dead ot just MIA?)
Old 2009-12-30, 13:37   Link #2274
Xellos-_^
Not Enough Sleep

Quote:
Originally Posted by cloak_and_dagger View Post
I agree with you but had to bold that first part rofl

maybe Angel had enough energy to retain her most important key (is she even dead ot just MIA?)
According to the Zodiacs, she was capture.
Old 2009-12-30, 22:40   Link #2275
MechR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magin View Post
My question is, how strong are the Spirits themselves? We've seen the capability of the others, and notice how those others (Natsu, Gray, Erza, etc.) generally take on the Big Bads, while Lucy is stuck with the lesser ones (then again, this is shounen...). That's in part why is seems she's weaker: she's always fighting the weaker enemies (and usually going through a tough fight in those cases as it is). If she were to fight one of the ones Natsu and co. usually fight, we might be able to gauge her strength better
Well, she beat Bixlow who beat Gray, back in the Luxus arc. More recently, Angel was smacking her around until the Deus Ex Machina kicked in.

Unfortunately, I think she's losing her underdog sympathy status now that she has over half the Zodiac at her disposal. From a character-development standpoint, I would've preferred if Angel had crushed her and looted most/all her keys. That would've set up a chance for Lucy to grow personally stronger, gather the last three gold keys, and have a rematch down the line when she sucks less.
MechR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-12-31, 00:27   Link #2276
Krono

Quote:
Originally Posted by MechR View Post
Unfortunately, I think she's losing her underdog sympathy status now that she has over half the Zodiac at her disposal. From a character-development standpoint, I would've preferred if Angel had crushed her and looted most/all her keys. That would've set up a chance for Lucy to grow personally stronger, gather the last three gold keys, and have a rematch down the line when she sucks less.
The problem with that idea is that the keys are useless to Angel unless their contract with Lucy is broken. Angel isn't law enforcement, and Lucy would die before releasing the contracts so Angel could take the keys. Which leaves Lucy's death as the only means for Angel to get Lucy's keys.

Seeing as Fairy Tail doesn't have a revolving door afterlife, that would be the end of Lucy's character development short of her finishing the series as a ghost.
Krono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-12-31, 00:41   Link #2277
Cinocard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krono
The problem with that idea is that the keys are useless to Angel unless their contract with Lucy is broken. Angel isn't law enforcement, and Lucy would die before releasing the contracts so Angel could take the keys. Which leaves Lucy's death as the only means for Angel to get Lucy's keys.
Not really, Lucy only needs to lose the keys, it doesn't matter if Angel could use it or not. Better yet, all the keys can somehow be destroyed, forcing Lucy to go on a journey seeking for a way to remake them.
Cinocard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-12-31, 01:03   Link #2278
Wrath88
Kissing...

Unless there's the route of unlocking the Stellar Spirit king if you gather all 12 gold keys, which would make for a very convenient deus ex machina.
Old 2009-12-31, 01:10   Link #2279
MechR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krono View Post
I'm sure Lucy would grudgingly part with them if Angel threatened to kill some hostages. (Natsu was still face-down on the raft, for instance.)

Oh, but from Angel's POV it'd be easier to just kill her directly. Hmm.

Edit: Aha, I've got it! She can have Gemini transform into Lucy again and transfer the contracts. ... Well, it might work.

Last edited by MechR; 2009-12-31 at 01:26.
MechR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-12-31, 01:57   Link #2280
Krono

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinocard View Post
Not really, Lucy only needs to lose the keys, it doesn't matter if Angel could use it or not. Better yet, all the keys can somehow be destroyed, forcing Lucy to go on a journey seeking for a way to remake them.
The thing is Angel wouldn't take them without making sure she could use them herself. Especially if all that requires is killing Lucy like she killed Karen. Especially as she was planning to kill Lucy regardless.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MechR View Post
I'm sure Lucy would grudgingly part with them if Angel threatened to kill some hostages. (Natsu was still face-down on the raft, for instance.)

Oh, but from Angel's POV it'd be easier to just kill her directly. Hmm.

Edit: Aha, I've got it! She can have Gemini transform into Lucy again and transfer the contracts. ... Well, it might work.
Somehow I doubt stellar spirit law would permit Gemini breaking Lucy's contracts in that way. It also still runs into the problem you mentioned, it's easier for Angel to just kill Lucy. She planned to kill Natsu, Hibiki, Happy and Lucy anyways, and if she had to pick one to finish off first, greed would probably drive her to pick Lucy.
Krono is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
action, adventure, fantasy, shounen