AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired M-Z > Tales of... > Tales of the Abyss (Archive)

Notices

View Poll Results: Tales of the Abyss - Episode 9 Rating
Perfect 10 8 26.67%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 11 36.67%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 8 26.67%
7 out of 10 : Good 2 6.67%
6 out of 10 : Average 0 0%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 0 0%
4 out of 10 : Poor 0 0%
3 out of 10 : Bad 1 3.33%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 0 0%
Voters: 30. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 2008-11-25, 12:03   Link #1
xris
Just call me Ojisan

Tales of the Abyss - Episode 9 Discussion / Poll

Welcome to the discussion thread for Tales of the Abyss, Episode 9.

Thread Guidelines
  • Raw requests and offers are not permitted anywhere on this forum.
  • Spoilers about future events must not be posted in this thread.
    If you need to reference something that would spoil a future event, reply directly with a private message.
  • Discuss your expectations of the episode if it has not aired yet.
  • Be polite to your fellow forum members.
  • Please try to keep the discussion on topic.
Spoiler Policy
  • Any spoiler that reveals future events, even under a spoiler tag, will be deleted.
    Spoiler tags should still be used where appropriate.
  • Adding a Spoiler tag:
    Just highlight your spoiler and click the button found
    on the "Quick Reply" and "Reply to Thread" forms.
    Make sure that you include a title for the spoiler!
  • Please use the Report button if you see any spoilers:
    Click the button found to the left of the post, just under the poster's avatar.
    Using the Report button is anonymous and helps the Moderators
    to locate and deal with problems quickly.
  • Posting prohibited spoilers may result in a ban.
    Note: Reporting a post does not mean the poster will be banned instantly.
    The Moderators will use bans if warnings are repeatedly ignored.
Old 2008-11-27, 12:08   Link #2
Scarlett_Rain55

This was a really emotional episode. I loved it. And it was so cute when Mieu was rubbing Luke's face. Awwww. <3

And for once I finally felt bad for Asch. Maybe if they showed that flashback in the game, I would've sympathized with him more.
Old 2008-11-27, 12:36   Link #3
FlareKnight
User of the "Fast Draw"

Send a message via AIM to FlareKnight Send a message via MSN to FlareKnight
That was a good episode. Got the story moving along and as well as Luke. Finding your way after something like that happens is a tricky thing to accomplish. Can't really be as big headed as you were before and yet being too timid about it all won't help either. Well Luke will find his way somehow.

Was nice to get that flashback/dream with Asch. You can imagine what its like with the kidnapping and losing his identity. But still gets the message home better when you get to see sequences of it. Not surprised that dream came up with how the situation has been.
Old 2008-11-27, 15:02   Link #4
Kushi

OMG! I love Yukana <333. Ending = win for this episode. I'm still kinda worried about Luke and the cast.... they keep trying to make him change but how can he change when he doesn't know anything, and yet they don't even attempt to teach him anything :/
Old 2008-11-27, 19:57   Link #5
Deathkillz
~ You're dead ^__^* ~
*Graphic Designer

Send a message via MSN to Deathkillz
Better late than never D:

Some thoughts on this ep ^^

Siggy: hohohohoho~ | AnimeHistory welcome to our blog ~ | Summer2009 early review
Under the radar series Summer2009: Kanamemo, GA Geijutsuka Art, NEEDLESS
Old 2008-11-27, 20:36   Link #6
rose-wisteria
~Cuteness is NOT a Crime~

Send a message via AIM to rose-wisteria Send a message via MSN to rose-wisteria Send a message via Yahoo to rose-wisteria
Like always, I wrote a review on this anime because I love it so much. I'm so glad to see a forum for ToA!

For the episode, it's probably one of the best episodes thus far. I can't believe I'm saying this but... I actually like Asch now and it's all thanks to that flashback. This is one of the finest examples where an anime can take words from the original and make it better. I loved it.

I don't know if anyone will agree with me on this but personally, I find the anime scene with Luke cutting his hair more dramatic/emotional than in the game. Then again, I haven't played it in so long. Still, I am very touched by that scene. It says so much in such a short time.

I think all of you saw this coming- Guy and Natalia talk makes this fangirl happy. Though, I am liking all the other interaction, especially those of Asch and Natalia and Tear and Luke.

If I have the skills, I would love to make a gif of that one scene where Mieu rubs its head against Luke's. So cuuuute.

Minnie's Blog- My thoughts, my stories.
Hey, Say, Anime!- My anime blog with a group of writers.

Last edited by rose-wisteria; 2008-11-27 at 20:52.
Old 2008-11-27, 21:13   Link #7
BigJimmy
Burn ya git!

Woah woah woah, episode 8 finishes with Asch about to gut Luke, and episode 9 opens with Luke laid out in bed while Asch sits next to him and mind-insults him? Huh wha who?
Old 2008-11-27, 21:53   Link #8
Nabiki Asakura
Order Maiden
*Scanlator

Send a message via MSN to Nabiki Asakura
I loved the episode 9, every part of it. it wasn't boring like other episodes. Kawaii, Asch's dreaming were sad, but it's the first time that I saw Asch so relaxed

aaaaaaaaaaaaaannnnnnnnnnnddddddddd

AschxNat

he's cold with Natalia, but he likes her, and we know it S2

Chibi Asch seeing chibi Natalia putting flowers in chibi Luke's hair <-my favorite scene in this episode.

Mom: oh, Luke, I love you so much*hugging Luke*
Asch:...I can ignore this
Dad: oh, luke, i love you so much*smilling for Luke*
Asch:...There's no problem with this too u.o/
Natalia: oh, luke, I love you so much
Asch: the place....where i belong....;o;

But Anise's recent actions are pissing me off! I like her, but why is she acting like a jerk? First she was "oh, luke-sama, love you!" now she's "Let's just ignore Luke, hunpf!"
And, yes, i know that Luke was bad to ion and to peoples and all and the land colapsed...WELL, BUT THIS ISN'T THE PROBLEM! The fact is that, in this episode, Anise sound like if she was saying these things just because Luke is Replica-kun, annoying u-u

And, awwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww, finally the day came, the day when Luke will start to treat Mieu like he deserves S2

Old 2008-11-27, 22:35   Link #9
FlareKnight
User of the "Fast Draw"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nabiki Asakura View Post
But Anise's recent actions are pissing me off! I like her, but why is she acting like a jerk? First she was "oh, luke-sama, love you!" now she's "Let's just ignore Luke, hunpf!"
And, yes, i know that Luke was bad to ion and to peoples and all and the land colapsed...WELL, BUT THIS ISN'T THE PROBLEM! The fact is that, in this episode, Anise sound like if she was saying these things just because Luke is Replica-kun, annoying u-u

And, awwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww, finally the day came, the day when Luke will start to treat Mieu like he deserves S2
Well that's Anise for you. The girl is a golddigger . Maybe she thinks Luke coming out as a replica will make him inelligable for the family funds. Think his behaviour toward Ion though is what pushed her over the edge. Hasn't quite been the same since he tried to march Ion into the ground and said he wasn't important.
Old 2008-11-28, 02:04   Link #10
yolin.shana

Yeah, the main reason Anise was nice with Luke was because he was rich. But they didn't really emphasize this in the anime.
Old 2008-11-28, 09:52   Link #11
Nabiki Asakura
Order Maiden
*Scanlator

Send a message via MSN to Nabiki Asakura
Quote:
Originally Posted by fraktionsdisziplin View Post
I have to agree, this was a very good episode.
I think the Asch gaiden chapter was a bit better than the dream sequence in the anime, but it was still great. I hope we'll see the other gaiden chapters animated as well.

Also, as an Anise-fangirl, I think I'll have to defend her.

Spoiler for long text, OT-ness, very minor spoilers:
I want to see Anise's past in the anime like we saw Asch suffering and losting his life to Replica-kun

So, according Frak-san, Anise does have a reason to "hate" Luke, but so Natalia?

In these episodes(7, 8 and 9) where Luke has showed how annoying he can be, some characters that I like are acting strange, the conclusion of Natalia's madness is in episode 9. Sincerely, Natalia is showing herself a confused and girl
She has her reasons to beigin confused, so it's ok, but it seems like she's taking Luke's friends and giving they to Asch.

I was watching episode 9. ok, so Natalia was after Asch, fine. And so everyone goes to the surface(-Tear), well. And so I have noticed that Luke wasn't with they! The Luke's "soul" that was with Asch confused me, when I noticed that Luke wasn't with the group, and Guy was planning to return after Luke, i noticed too that natalia wasn't planning to let Guy go.
Even if it's cute the AschxNat scenes, it's certanly that she's trying a type of bullying u.o
...and Anise is supporting her >XD
I want Natalia and Anise to go back to when they were fighting for Luke and not to where they're ignoring him ._.

If they were going to divide theirselfs in two groups(not like they will), probably it would be:

Asch, Natalia, Anise, Ion, Jade
Luke Replica-kun, Mieu, Tear, Guy

But this question there's nothing about episode 9, so i'm stopping here XD/

Old 2008-11-28, 11:37   Link #12
Sinestra
ショ ン (^^)
*IT Support

Send a message via AIM to Sinestra Send a message via MSN to Sinestra Send a message via Yahoo to Sinestra
Very emotional episode with bits and pieces of whats really going on being thrown in. We dont have the full story yet of what Van is trying to accomplish but this episode showed some really good emotions amongst the characters. Namely Asch, Guy, Natalia and Luke. The story has started to take a different direction with the party splinting up. One can not blame Asch for what he feels he has lost and one can not blame Natalia for wanting to try to get back some of the time she feels she has lost with the real Luke/Asch. Even if Asch does retain the memories of when they were young he is a different person now and i cant see him at least not right now reciprocating Natalia's wish to relive the past hes not that person anymore. Also, Natalia and Guy taking responsibility for how Luke grew up was very cool. I did feel that Asch was trying somewhat to reach out to Luke with the connection but he shut him out at the end so im not too sure about that anymore.

I am glad they did make everyone forgive Luke after some pretty words about Changing he must prove himself first. He talk Tear did him good and she did pull her punches he is still unable to think for himself he needs to learn to make his own decisions. I think Tear and Guy are the best possible choices to help Luke move on his own and Tear i feels cares about the well being on Luke. Also, Luke cutting his hair has a symbolic message that he is going to be a different person but that does erase that thousands of people died because of his foolish actions.

Im hoping Tear decides to return to the Upper world along with Luke because she will needed. But i cant help but to feel that Asch will be more trouble than helpful after all we still need to know what exactly he wants. Master Fon seemed to worried about something as well and i cant help but to feel it has something to do with the guy who has the mask on. Things are becoming quite interesting and im sure will become much harder as Van is not an easy opponent.
Old 2008-11-28, 12:01   Link #13
vspirit
...huh?

Quote:
I loved the episode 9, every part of it. it wasn't boring like other episodes.
Oh? Then I figure we could have done without them, then. Episode 9 alone would have been enough, aye? ^_^

Quote:
But Anise's recent actions are pissing me off!
Hm. Then you're going to
Spoiler:
Old 2008-11-28, 12:45   Link #14
Shirachi

Send a message via MSN to Shirachi
Although I disagree with how they opened the episode (especially considering the cliffhanger of last episode), I really enjoyed it. But while the Asch flashback was very emotional and gave an early insight into Asch as a character, it seemed a little unnecessary and random to show at the time. Like Sunrise just wanted to bypass the "Asch is a douche" phase and immediately garner the audience's sympathy. While some may find the tactic excellent, I find it very cliche.

But besides being a nitpick, good episode. Surprised that the animation hasn't really dropped yet.
Old 2008-11-28, 13:36   Link #15
vspirit
...huh?

Quote:
Originally Posted by fraktionsdisziplin View Post
You can't really predict that. I didn't like her actions at that point either, but now she's my favorite character.
I wasn't predicting. I was deducing.
Spoiler for HUGE ONE. TO OTHER MEMBERS: YOU NO PLAY GAME, YOU NO CLICK:

Still, I don't dislike her, if that's what you're concerned about. In fact, I rather find her gold-digging and trash-talking ways charming. She's also pretty straightforward. I don't dislike characters like that at all.

Last edited by vspirit; 2008-11-28 at 13:54.
Old 2008-11-28, 15:49   Link #16
FlareKnight
User of the "Fast Draw"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shirachi View Post
Although I disagree with how they opened the episode (especially considering the cliffhanger of last episode), I really enjoyed it. But while the Asch flashback was very emotional and gave an early insight into Asch as a character, it seemed a little unnecessary and random to show at the time. Like Sunrise just wanted to bypass the "Asch is a douche" phase and immediately garner the audience's sympathy. While some may find the tactic excellent, I find it very cliche.

But besides being a nitpick, good episode. Surprised that the animation hasn't really dropped yet.
Personally I think that was a good place for the flashback. These events had to have gotten Asch thinking about the past at some level and that being reflected in his dreams kind of fits. Some conversations with his replica, seeing Natalia again, and Van actions would likely have triggered some memories. Was a handy spot since it gave a chance for Luke to understand Asch's position better through the dreams.

Just like how I'm sure Jade is also thinking about his past with the legacy of fomicry coming back to haunt him. Just in this case they only focused on Asch and didn't go into the past of Jade yet. But really with Asch we pretty much 'knew' all this already it just hits it home more by actually seeing it in action.
Old 2008-11-28, 18:42   Link #17
Scarlett_Rain55

Geez Natalia always has to be saved...
Old 2008-11-29, 03:41   Link #18
FlareKnight
User of the "Fast Draw"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarlett_Rain55 View Post
Geez Natalia always has to be saved...
Its how she builds up relationships with people . Besides being a princess getting rescued has to be in the job description anyways.
Old 2008-11-29, 08:08   Link #19
Momosan
?Clannad Troll¿

I feel the anime has far more potential that it's currently realizing. Perhaps I'd feel differently if the characters weren't constantly contradicting themselves every other episode in a completely nonsensical way.

Half the time Tear is sympathizing with Luke's plight and constantly reevaluating her perspectives and the other half she's condemning him for his personality. I can understand disagreeing with people's views on specific matters, but if you sympathize with someone you don't turn around and smack them down when those disagreements arise.

Luke/Natalia grew up with Luke for however many years. Why in the world would either of them be surprised by the actions of their childhood friend?

Anise/Jade/Ion thankfully stay within the same mindset. Anise never actually cared for Luke so her change of opinion isn't absurd. Jade and Ion both voice their discontent with Luke but they haven't known him nearly as long nor have they connected with him on any personal level.

Really, it didn't bother me until after the whole pillar ordeal. How could everyone be so naive to condemn Luke for destroying the pillar. Luke was trying to help people he considered below him while being betrayed by the father figure in his life. Luke made it painfully clear that he had no knowledge of fomicry technology nor his personal power. The only person who even attempted to help him deal with his problems was Van. There is a huge difference between being mislead and making a mistake with good intentions and being a bad person. Apparently the cast can't make that distinction. Hopefully the cliche of, "everyone rallies to the revamped hero" will solve the problem and the cast can stop thinking for themselves .
Old 2008-11-29, 08:34   Link #20
Sides

Quote:
Originally Posted by Momosan View Post
Anise/Jade/Ion thankfully stay within the same mindset. Anise never actually cared for Luke so her change of opinion isn't absurd. Jade and Ion both voice their discontent with Luke but they haven't known him nearly as long nor have they connected with him on any personal level.
Actually if you watch carefully Ion and Luke do have a connection, ever since they've first met you'll notice there is a strange bond between them.
Closed Thread