AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Madoka Magica

Notices

Old 2012-08-09, 11:59   Link #421
BaKaBaKaOtaKu
Stupidity is Bliss.

I thought it was real. Gawdayum 2ch!!
BaKaBaKaOtaKu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-09, 15:17   Link #422
AuraTwilight
The True Culprit

Send a message via AIM to AuraTwilight Send a message via MSN to AuraTwilight
Someone write Jinna Asumi into a fanfic, please.
Old 2012-08-10, 20:29   Link #423
Kimidori
The Opened Ultimate Gate

oh lol, Gen Urobuchi responded to the fake girl

Translation
Quote:
Really, silver-haired bob cut elementary school student using morning star and mind attack...
That's even more regretful, since it's the kind that I may like.
now i think that if this girl had been designed earlier, she might have made it into the 3rd movie.

Last edited by Kimidori; 2012-08-11 at 00:58.
Kimidori is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-11, 00:08   Link #424
Lord of Fire
The Voice of Reason

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimidori View Post
oh lol, Gen Urobuchi responded to the fake girl

Translation

now i think that if this girl had been designed earlier, she might have made it into the 3rd movie.
I'm almost expecting him to rewrite certain scenes just to add her in at the last minute.

I know, wishful thinking.
Old 2012-08-11, 02:23   Link #425
HasuMasu
*Artist

Well it is a great idea, weather or not it stays fake remains to be seen.
Old 2012-08-11, 03:19   Link #426
Sol Falling

The problem with adopting fan material into franchises is always intellectual property rights. Because fan material is produced without the consent/supervision of the original company, there's basically no precedent for anything like artistic control or profit sharing. That's why, unfortunately, it almost never happens; because in almost all cases it is just way simpler for a company in the content-creation industry to come up with something itself (ideas in creative industries are a dime a dozen; what is actually valuable about a company and its staff is their productive facilities).

I think that it's really cool that Urobochi saw and commented on the character design, but it is a forgone conclusion that nothing will ever come of it.
Sol Falling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-11, 09:15   Link #427
Kirroha
Just... disturbed.

Aw man, I fell in love with her! Too bad she's fake.
Kirroha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-11, 11:47   Link #428
Jimmy C

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sol Falling View Post
The problem with adopting fan material into franchises is always intellectual property rights. Because fan material is produced without the consent/supervision of the original company, there's basically no precedent for anything like artistic control or profit sharing.
To make things worse, due to concerns over allegations of copyright infringement, the original company can't even make something somewhat similar to known fan material. Which mean, once it shows up as a fan creation, you can kiss goodbye to any chance of it appearing in the original work!
Jimmy C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-11, 14:45   Link #429
AuraTwilight
The True Culprit

There are loopholes in those laws. Very easy ones. >:3
Old 2012-08-11, 16:05   Link #430
Triple_R
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
I vaguely recall reading somewhere that Japan has relatively lax copyright laws (which is what enables fans to write and sell doujins based around established anime/manga characters).

Take "Jinna Asumi", alter her name slightly, and maybe slightly alter her character design (put something in her hair, say), and SHAFT could be good to go...
Old 2012-08-11, 21:47   Link #431
Sol Falling

Quote:
Originally Posted by AuraTwilight View Post
There are loopholes in those laws. Very easy ones. >:3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple_R View Post
I vaguely recall reading somewhere that Japan has relatively lax copyright laws (which is what enables fans to write and sell doujins based around established anime/manga characters).

Take "Jinna Asumi", alter her name slightly, and maybe slightly alter her character design (put something in her hair, say), and SHAFT could be good to go...
Sorry, I didn't mean to imply it was about laws. The issue of Japan's doujinshi market and the overlooking of fans profiting by making parody material is different from the idea of originate companies taking fan material and incorporating them into the official commercial product. Like Jimmy C suggested, the issue is with the fan placing limitations on use or accusing the company of infringement.

Do you guys really not see the problem with a company, say, taking a fan's independently published idea, modifying it slightly and adopting it into the source material, subsequently making gigantic wads of cash off of the concept without the original fan ever seeing a penny of it? Alternatively, say that to avoid copyright infringement, the company strikes up a deal with the original creator. However, in the very act of attempting to strike up that deal the company is acknowledging that the idea has value, which gives the fan/original creator a bargaining position. The fan, for their own part might have their own demands such as a cut of the profits or artistic control/certain creative limitations over the use of the character. All of this provides a disincentive for the company compared to the use of its own ideas generated within the company (the concepts being completely owned by them, i.e. the company receives all the profits plus they have full creative control over it).

It's basically a question of the fan/original creator's rights versus the profit-driven mentality of a corporation. Copyright laws are oriented towards protecting/aiding the original creators (which is correct, as should be obvious). However, it's precisely because of that factor that it is far simpler/profitable and sustainable by far for a company which is oriented towards generating content internally based on its own ideas to stick to material which it has generated and negotiated according to its established standards internally.
Sol Falling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-11, 22:21   Link #432
AuraTwilight
The True Culprit

Well, if you wanted to be outright sinister, it'd be easy to alter the concept enough that you couldn't prove it was inspired by the troll picture. The magical girl outfit is almost 100% undefined, for instance.
Old 2012-08-11, 22:38   Link #433
Triple_R
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sol Falling View Post
Sorry, I didn't mean to imply it was about laws. The issue of Japan's doujinshi market and the overlooking of fans profiting by making parody material is different from the idea of originate companies taking fan material and incorporating them into the official commercial product. Like Jimmy C suggested, the issue is with the fan placing limitations on use or accusing the company of infringement.
But Jinna Asumi wasn't created by Madoka fans. She was created by people trolling Madoka fans. In other words, she was created by trolls.

If Jinna Asumi was created by a serious Madoka fan, I'd completely agree with you - It would then be in really bad taste for SHAFT to steal that idea, slightly alter it, and leave their creative fan completely out in the cold.

But trolling the trolls? I have to admit I see some poetic justice in that.

But if SHAFT wants to negotiate with the trolls that created Jinna Asumi, go right ahead. Like other people here, I just think her character concept is pretty good, even if it was meant to troll Madoka fans.
Old 2012-08-11, 22:43   Link #434
Dr. Casey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple_R View Post

Aye, Japan has pretty sane and reasonable copyright laws from what I've read. I don't think there's any real equivalent to the RIAA, aka the 'We Completely Ignore Fair Use and Sue People For More Money Than Exists in the World Club.'
Dr. Casey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-11, 22:50   Link #435
Triple_R
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Casey View Post
Aye, Japan has pretty sane and reasonable copyright laws from what I've read. I don't think there's any real equivalent to the RIAA, aka the 'We Completely Ignore Fair Use and Sue People For More Money Than Exists in the World Club.'
This is admittedly a bit OT, but one of the things I love about anime (and its related industries in Japan) is how it shows that you can have a successful entertainment industries that respects fanworks without going insane over copyrights. The way copyrights work in America is indeed insane, imo.
Old 2012-08-13, 04:48   Link #436
Horse

Dunno how long it's been up there but there's an alternate layout on madoka-magica.com. I think the layout pick is random?

Spoiler for movie 2 key visual I guess:
Horse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-17, 10:15   Link #437
maximilianjenus
[E]

So, in the end of the tv series madoak saccrificed her very existence to make the world a slightly better place, what interests me about movie 3 is that it is set after madoka and it will answer the question "Did the world really become a better place?"
maximilianjenus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-17, 11:04   Link #438
bhl88
Otaku Apprentice

Send a message via MSN to bhl88 Send a message via Yahoo to bhl88
Ans:

Urobochi: Nah it still sucks.
Old 2012-08-17, 13:40   Link #439
Proto
Knowledge is the solution

Madoka's wish wasn't to make the world a better place, but to give magical girls a glimmer of hope. In the end the essence of the world didn't change, but at least the magical girls can look forward to a better end of their own lives.
Proto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-17, 13:47   Link #440
AuraTwilight
The True Culprit

Well, it is slightly better; Magical Girls are no longer responsible for countless civilian deaths. We know Witches seem to have different means of choosing human targets, such as going after people they loved in life. Mami's still hanging with Kyoko amiably could be implying that she never lost that little boy to Wraiths. Puella Magi G turning into Witch K won't kill Civilians O-V.

Now, will Wraiths try and close the gap of dead innocents? Probably, yea. But it doesn't seem like they're anywhere near as successful or terrifying.

Tags
madoka magica, movie