AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > General Anime

Notices

Old 2007-03-02, 12:16   Link #41
spiritgun
Otaku Taicho

I remember watching Air TV. That anime made no sense but I sure loved it for some reason, the CG and soundtrack was exceptional, maybe thats why. Dragonball Z didn't make much sense either, but I used to looove that show. Whenever one antagonist falls, a greater one appears... whenever Goku's not strong enough, he gains another super saiyan level... if he dies, they find a way to bring him back... everyone else is just there. BUT I should thank Dragonball Z, for helping me become who I am today. Whenever I do some push ups, I think of how Vegeta pushed himself to achieve super saiyan. Also, I can't forget how it lead me to watching more and more animes till today.
spiritgun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-03-02, 22:47   Link #42
I Like Shinny!
Me love you long time

On the top of my list is Cat Soup. It's was very, very confusing, but yet I liked it and I don't know why...
I Like Shinny! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-03-04, 01:05   Link #43
shiro83

Maybe Ergo Proxy?
It ended in a weird sort of way.
shiro83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-03-04, 04:02   Link #44
Long_Dead
R.I.P

I think that ending were a good ending
Spoiler:

Last edited by Long_Dead; 2007-03-04 at 13:01.
Long_Dead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-03-04, 18:00   Link #45
mangatron
worshipping the pantyhose

I'll never understand Evangelion.

Why did they choose that kind of english VA for Shinji? Why did Kaoru not sound any better? How come Rei isn't Tsundere? Why doesn't Gendo wear dark-colored gloves? Doesn't he now white get's easily dirtied? Why wasn't there a Starship Troopers 2 kind of episode? Why? WHY?!?!?

mangatron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-03-04, 18:39   Link #46
Zu Ra
✖ ǝʇ ɯıqnɾl ☆

Soul Taker anime I couldnt get it or didnt want to get it . Most reveiwers rank it high but somehow its not my anime . The ova was pretty good though .
Old 2007-03-04, 18:44   Link #47
Kaoru Chujo
Yuuki Aoi

I like the idea of this thread being "not understand" rather than "overrated." We all tend to "rate" anime according to our likes and dislikes rather than some objective standard. As if there could be one.

Suzumiya Haruhi and Honey & Clover are two of my favorite anime all-time, and I probably rate them both as masterpieces. So for people not to like them is something that I can't understand. For me, all the characters in H&C are complex and rounded, and the situation is realistically emotionally complex. Hagu is a bit symbolic -- of a young genius who can't really do anything but her art -- but she hardly acts nine. She just looks nine, in H&C I. She's been sheltered and alone, with few friends and living with her Grandma in the country. I think the mangaka may have modelled her on herself, at least psychologically. Feeling one wants to "kick her face in" would seem a strangely extreme reaction in any case. I've noticed that some people seem to be enraged by weak characters, whereas I find myself attracted to and sympathizing with them, generally. It's the confident ones that tend to turn me off.

As for Suzumiya Haruhi, one of its strong points is what I see as the subtle humor (to go along with the broad humor and the bunny suits), and humor is definitely a personal taste. Somehow SHnY makes me feel very close to its characters, with little hints of expression, gestures, and words. And of course there's the amazing animation. Showing the episodes out of order impresses on us the instability of the world, which is a main point of the situation. And the development of Haruhi's and Kyon's personalities and relationship -- out of order or not -- really touched me in the end.

By the way, someone earlier said they felt a lot from AIR but not from Saikano. For me, it was the other way around. AIR was nice, but ultimately emotionally weak for me. And I watch anime mainly to get those hits of emotion. Kanon 2006 seems a more successful adaptation to me.

As for anime I just don't get, I don't get the attraction of any monster genre (I'd have done Shana without monsters, lol), and I'm just beginning to understand the attraction of mecha. Paranoia Agent and Lain left me scratching my head, but I think that was part of the point. I had trouble grasping Utena until about halfway through.

Anyway, a lot of things are just personal taste, and depend on surface things we just respond to as individuals, either positively or negatively.
YUUKI Aoi 悠木碧. b92.03.27 (age 29). 2008 Kurenai (Murasaki). 2009 Yumeiro Pâtissière (Ichigo), Kiruminzuu (Riko), Yutori-chan (Yutori-chan). 2010 Vampire Bund (Mina Tepeş), Shiki (Sunako), Samurai Girls (Juubee), Pokémon: Black and White (Iris). 2011 Madoka Magica (Madoka), Gosick (Victorique), A-Channel (Tooru). 2012 Symphogear (Hibiki). 2014 Pilot's Love Song (Claire/Nina), Nanatsu no Taizai (Diane). 2015 Owari no Seraph (Krul Tepes), Rokka no Yuusha (Fremy). 2016 Boku no Hero Academia (Tsuyu, Froppy). 2017 Kino no Tabi (Kino). 2021 Kumo desu ga (watashi), Kaizoku Oujo (Karin), Heike Monogatari (Biwa), etc., etc. Total of 513 roles in anime and games.
Kaoru Chujo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-03-04, 21:31   Link #48
Goofus Maximus
Senile Member

The ending of Neon Genesis Evangelion makes my brain hurt. Most other anime, I may not like, but I do understand, but not NGE...
Goofus Maximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-03-05, 01:28   Link #49
teachopvutru
Urusai~Urusai~Urusai~

It's Chrno Crusade and Air TV for me. They are my favorite anime although sometime I kinda don't understand the stories

"FOUND YOU!" ~Taiga
teachopvutru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-03-05, 02:19   Link #50
Kaioshin Sama
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Kaioshin Sama
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaoru Chujo View Post
I like the idea of this thread being "not understand" rather than "overrated." We all tend to "rate" anime according to our likes and dislikes rather than some objective standard. As if there could be one.

Suzumiya Haruhi and Honey & Clover are two of my favorite anime all-time, and I probably rate them both as masterpieces. So for people not to like them is something that I can't understand. For me, all the characters in H&C are complex and rounded, and the situation is realistically emotionally complex. Hagu is a bit symbolic -- of a young genius who can't really do anything but her art -- but she hardly acts nine. She just looks nine, in H&C I. She's been sheltered and alone, with few friends and living with her Grandma in the country. I think the mangaka may have modelled her on herself, at least psychologically. Feeling one wants to "kick her face in" would seem a strangely extreme reaction in any case. I've noticed that some people seem to be enraged by weak characters, whereas I find myself attracted to and sympathizing with them, generally. It's the confident ones that tend to turn me off.

As for Suzumiya Haruhi, one of its strong points is what I see as the subtle humor (to go along with the broad humor and the bunny suits), and humor is definitely a personal taste. Somehow SHnY makes me feel very close to its characters, with little hints of expression, gestures, and words. And of course there's the amazing animation. Showing the episodes out of order impresses on us the instability of the world, which is a main point of the situation. And the development of Haruhi's and Kyon's personalities and relationship -- out of order or not -- really touched me in the end.

By the way, someone earlier said they felt a lot from AIR but not from Saikano. For me, it was the other way around. AIR was nice, but ultimately emotionally weak for me. And I watch anime mainly to get those hits of emotion. Kanon 2006 seems a more successful adaptation to me.

As for anime I just don't get, I don't get the attraction of any monster genre (I'd have done Shana without monsters, lol), and I'm just beginning to understand the attraction of mecha. Paranoia Agent and Lain left me scratching my head, but I think that was part of the point. I had trouble grasping Utena until about halfway through.

Anyway, a lot of things are just personal taste, and depend on surface things we just respond to as individuals, either positively or negatively.
For the most part people don't like them simply for the reason that they are popular. You won't often find an in depth analysis as too why and some people are incapable of seperating the postives and the negatives to obtain the whole picture, it has to be a love/hate, Masterpiece/Worst Ever scenario rather than here's what I like, here's what I don't now lets weigh them.

If your referring to the "monster of the week" genre not being good you'd be right, it's a stock plot option to stretch out series longer than they need to be. That formula kind of died in the 90's though in favour of a more serial rather than stand alone style of doing episodes.
Kaioshin Sama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-03-05, 13:19   Link #51
wingdarkness
Retweet Member

^So Kaioshin you're just gonna ignore all my follow-up questions on Big-O that have been sitting up here for almost a week?
Old 2007-03-05, 20:02   Link #52
capture
Saber's Husband XD

Send a message via Yahoo to capture
Zettai Shounen... I do not understand it so much...(maybe because I'm kinda fell sleepy while watching it )

adding myself to the list of those whose brain is hurted/damaged by watching Evangelion
Old 2007-03-05, 21:08   Link #53
Matrim
Naysayer?Fanboy?Wiseacre?

Quote:
For the most part people don't like them simply for the reason that they are popular.
Really? Maybe they (or rather we, since I am one of those) don't like them because tastes differ and nothing appeals to everyone? It's illogical to denounce Haruhi and H&C because they are popular and like Cowboy Bebop or any other popular anime at the same time. Unless you think there are so many people who don't like neither Haruhi, nor anything else that is popular your argument is not exactly solid. Sure, bashing popular shows can be fun but this in itself cannot be the main reason for the fact that not everyone loves what the majority loves.

Quote:

Suzumiya Haruhi and Honey & Clover are two of my favorite anime all-time, and I probably rate them both as masterpieces. So for people not to like them is something that I can't understand.
How come? First, you say there is no objective standard and then that you can't understand people who don't like what you like? Isn't that contradictory? Do you mean you understand the fact but not why these people "don't want to see the light"?

As for animes I don't understand - Serial Experiments Lain. I don't have much of a clue what happened in the latter half or what was the idea of the series.

Matrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-03-05, 21:23   Link #54
Jewelray

Send a message via AIM to Jewelray
I don't understand why I don't like Honey and Clover. I usually like slice of life and I'm going through that "holy crap I'm almost done with college and I still don't know what I want to do with my life" phase so it should have been particularly meaningful to me, but for some reason it didn't hit me the right way and I can't say I liked it. I thought the characters were annoying... maybe they were too realistic for me. I guess my question is: are college guys really that deep and thoughtful? Somehow I felt like it was a female's ideal of how guys think.
Jewelray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-03-06, 06:29   Link #55
False Dawn
Florsheim Monster
*Fansubber

It was art college, they are definitely that deep and thoughtful. I've been to a creative college before and artists are generally like that (within context - the culture here is pretty different to the Japanese culture). I had no problems finding the characters believable, despite Yamada's constant fanclub and the fact that a 19 year old could look like a 9 year old.
False Dawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-03-06, 07:07   Link #56
Joojoobees

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jewelray View Post
I don't understand why I don't like Honey and Clover. I usually like slice of life
I really don't see H&C as slice-of-life. It seems like it has too strong of a plot to me. I had a hard time with it, because it made me very sad, but I mostly liked it. I think there is a limit to how much unrequited love one person can take, and H&C pushed me over that line. Maybe I'm a stronger person for it, but I can't say the process wasn't painful.

Spoiler for first season:

Quote:
Originally Posted by False Dawn View Post
It was art college, they are definitely that deep and thoughtful.
LOL. Exactly. It might have been part of why the show bothered me so much. It was too, damned realistic!
Joojoobees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-03-06, 08:22   Link #57
Jaden

I understand Evangelion - or at least understand it enough to satisfy myself. But even for that I had to give it a lot of thought and read the analyses of many other viewers.
As for Ergo Proxy, I did understand the story of the main character, what he is, what he did, and why. But it feels that there was more depth to the whole anime, that or it just tried very hard to appear deep but in reality isn't.
Old 2007-03-07, 11:07   Link #58
Kaioshin Sama
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Kaioshin Sama
Quote:
Originally Posted by wingdarkness View Post
^So Kaioshin you're just gonna ignore all my follow-up questions on Big-O that have been sitting up here for almost a week?
I didn't know you wanted them answered but

Spoiler:
Kaioshin Sama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-02, 12:27   Link #59
Scourge87
Dark Lord of the West

BoBoBoBoBoBo<-------WTF? It freaks me out!
Scourge87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-02, 13:53   Link #60
Honey_and_Cleaver

I can understand all animes, theres no anime that i dont understand. IT doesnt matter if its Ghost in the Shell,Paranoia Agent, Texhnolyze, Gundam Seed Destiny, Argento Soma,Burst Angel,Naruto,Inuyasha,etc. No matter how scattered and fragmented the story is, no matter how the plot constantly differs or the story take hyper turns, i can still keep up.

All except some Harem animes. Where i dont understand why some girls would stick with the same asshole, for no hell reason and i dont know why this stupid unexplained feelings and admiration for an idiot. Like Tsukihime or Elfen Lied.

I think i know, yet, i dont know.

Sometimes,wheres the cool guy always die and the stupid guys always live, that too i dont understand.Its like Izumo you know. You dont know whose the hero.

Sometimes i dont know why some animes dont have a solid well balance guy, instead you get some who are too nerd weak or too arrogantly strong.
Honey_and_Cleaver is offline   Reply With Quote