AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Current Series > Gundam

Notices

View Poll Results: Gundam 00 Series Rating
Perfect 10 93 26.80%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 68 19.60%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 95 27.38%
7 out of 10 : Good 48 13.83%
6 out of 10 : Average 16 4.61%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 8 2.31%
4 out of 10 : Poor 4 1.15%
3 out of 10 : Bad 3 0.86%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 2 0.58%
1 out of 10 : Painful 10 2.88%
Voters: 347. You may not vote on this poll

Old 2009-04-02, 15:04   Link #61
nutype
Future MD

i love how some people are actually biting the bullet here and saying that realism is overrated and how we shouldnt expect it in a robot show.
nutype is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-03, 01:02   Link #62
Jays

Quote:
Originally Posted by nutype View Post
i love how some people are actually biting the bullet here and saying that realism is overrated and how we shouldnt expect it in a robot show.
To a certain degree you are right; I didn't have a problem with the 00-Raiser and the "hax" effect. I ended up taking a trip to the Technology thread and was amazed at how people were actually putting sense into that kind of stuff - I thought that was really neat, and perhaps and big thank you to the writers for actually creating something overpowering, but at the same time taking the time and initiative to create a basis for it that we can understand.

When you think about, the basis behind the "hax" of the 00-Raiser and the GN-Particles explain a lot of supposed plot holes, or things that just don't make sense, like how did Lasse, Setsuna and Louise suddenly become saved from the near fatal effect of the red GN-P, or how did Hallelujah come back. To me the main quip of season two was never the foundation, even if it at times seemed to lose that down to earth perspective that season one had.

-

I personally never felt that what got out of line was the Gundam fights because they did a very good job illustrating that with the exception of Setsuna everyone wasn't as omnipotent as they would seem. I've always felt that the down to earth feeling was based on the collective group of protagonist and the fact that the story in season one revolved around them. In a sense because of that adhesion, it felt like not one character ever got above everyone else, or the story in general. However, that didn't translate well over to season two where it felt like the story was just going everywhere and nowhere at the same time.
Jays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-03, 03:58   Link #63
nutype
Future MD

The funny thing is, people can make sense of anything with their imagination. If there are holes in the writing, people can use their imagination to fill in the parts that make no sense. People seem to deify the writers and start from the premise that writers can do no wrong - everything makes sense, watch me imagine stuff to make sense of every dumb thing that is shown. People just cant watch the gundam show for what it is, a show made by fallible human beings that make mistakes.

I think the only mistake in writing shippers are willing to concede is the Gaga squad. While I cant get stubborn people to admit how unrealistic the 00raiser hax is, the same people will usually admit that the Gaga squad had 'stupid' all over it.
Old 2009-04-03, 04:03   Link #64
Kaioshin Sama
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Kaioshin Sama
Quote:
The funny thing is, people can make sense of anything with their imagination. If there are holes in the writing, people can use their imagination to fill in the parts that make no sense. People seem to deify the writers and start from the premise that writers can do no wrong - everything makes sense, watch me imagine stuff to make sense of every dumb thing that is shown. People just cant watch the gundam show for what it is, a show made by fallible human beings that make mistakes.
Is this kind of like how you imagination holes in the writing where there aren't any?

And we do watch Gundam for what it is with regard to it being a show made by fallible human beings, we'd just rather not have the topic always be set to "Oh gee what can I complain about today and how can I steer this discussion towards that?"

In short we're not OBSESSED with trying to find fault with the show like you and Charred Knight seem to be.
Kaioshin Sama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-03, 04:10   Link #65
nutype
Future MD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaioshin Sama View Post
Is this kind of like how you imagination holes in the writing where there aren't any?

That's interesting because I dont seem to be the only person that thinks that GN pixie dust is unrealistic or the only person that thinks season 1 had superior writing than season 2. I guess if my imagination is running wild so is everyone else. I'm glad im not the only one, there's some real comfort in that.
Old 2009-04-03, 05:07   Link #66
Marikina

Of course 00 Raiser is "unrealistic". One would think that would an apt description for a suit billed from the beginning as defying common sense itself.

Not anymore out-of-place than, say, a massive asteroid getting deflected at the last minute by a massive burst of psychic energy (which ironically enough, paid homage visually by Trans-Am Burst). Among other outlandish events from the purportedly "Real" Robot franchise.
Marikina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-03, 05:31   Link #67
Alchemist007
*Author

Just saw the whole series (I waited till it finished airing). I seem to have picked up the habit of marathoning Gundam series'. Though now comes the infinite wait for the movie. Soman better tap that ass goddamnit!
Old 2009-04-03, 11:10   Link #68
yezhanquan
Observer/Bookman wannabe

For season 1 (after knowing about S2 details), I give it 9/10. Strong setting up for season 2 to follow, and Ribbons' chess playing is EPIC. Every piece he could (and couldn't) control moved as he thought they would.

Season 2, 8/10. The chess game continues, and it seems sad that it had to end because he's the bad guy. Still, relationships did get their repairs, and we're off to the movie.
Old 2009-04-03, 11:13   Link #69
GundamNanoha
Clone of Mod

i love the final battle my eyes blinking when 0 Gundam pose have the same pose of rx-78 equipped with beam saber so nostalgic plus the exia thrust move
GundamNanoha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-03, 11:32   Link #70
kakakka

I wouldn't be surprised if Aeolia made his plan because of the awesomeness of Gn-Particles. He wouldn't spend the rest of his life trying to develop the tech and put his plans to motion if the GNP is just for powering GN-Suit. I mean, if its just meant for combat, he can just forget about the plan and be scientist and pacifist for the rest of his life. Heck everyone can discover and make Gn-Tech to be combat useable, like what happened last season (and this season), when almost everyone has combat capable Gn-Tech. And that wouldn't really end the wars and make people's wills unite. It will just increase the arms race and the will to fight....

Last edited by kakakka; 2009-04-03 at 11:46.
kakakka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-03, 14:39   Link #71
tetsuo69

Animation Quality: 9.5-10
Voice Actors: 6-10
Script: 4-10
Editing: 7-10

overall i gave this series a 6 if i'm not wrong on this poll.
it was still a good series, just that i didnt really like it.
for me the best thing in the series were the battles but more cause the animation was really well done.
Old 2009-04-03, 16:42   Link #72
Revolutionist
Puppet Master

Quote:
That's interesting because I dont seem to be the only person that thinks that GN pixie dust is unrealistic or the only person that thinks season 1 had superior writing than season 2. I guess if my imagination is running wild so is everyone else. I'm glad im not the only one, there's some real comfort in that.
I'll stand by this statement. He's not the only one who thinks this way.
Old 2009-04-03, 17:08   Link #73
Wuzz
支点

does anyone care to elaborate on what is "hax" about the gn particle spreading?
Wuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-03, 18:48   Link #74
Tak
Catholic = Cat addiction?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wuzz View Post
does anyone care to elaborate on what is "hax" about the gn particle spreading?
Every Gundam series has some sort of a hax. This one is no exception, so I don't see what the complaint is. This hax is no worse or better than say... Turn A's hax.

- Tak

Remember, the toes you step on today may be connected to the @ss you have to kiss tomorrow.
Tak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-03, 19:37   Link #75
Marikina

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tak View Post
Every Gundam series has some sort of a hax. This one is no exception, so I don't see what the complaint is. This hax is no worse or better than say... Turn A's hax.

- Tak
Somebody correct me if I'm wrong, but this is also the first suit that was actually billed from the get-go by Word of God itself (not just through in-show Lampshade Hanging) as a hax machine.
Marikina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-03, 20:03   Link #76
nutype
Future MD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tak View Post

- Tak
UC had hax in it? 00 was a realistic series with no hax until the 00raiser trans am came into the picture.
Old 2009-04-03, 20:21   Link #77
Rising Dragon
Goat Herder
*Author

Quote:
UC had hax in it? 00 was a realistic series with no hax until the 00raiser trans am came into the picture.
U.C. had hax in it as early as Zeta.
Old 2009-04-03, 20:35   Link #78
imbehindyou
turn around...

First season: 8.5 / 10
Second season: 7 / 10

Second season:
Animation: 8
Sound: 8
Story: 7
Character: 9
Ending: 7
Enjoyment: 9
...which averages out to a 8, but I still give it a 7..

So overall: 8

Animation:
It really is nice to see a series in HD, HQ. Battle scenes were just incredible. But unfortunately there were some moments where characters were drawn so.. uhh.. meh-ish (around episode 20? 21?). But dynamic battle scenes and nicely designed/drawn characters.

Sound:
Voice actors were great, except for Miyano Mamoru in early Season 1 when I though his voice didn't really match with what I imagined for Setsuna, but it got better as season progressed. And soundtrack, nothing to complain about. Only miss for me was Season 2 first ending - I didn't really like the song, but S2 1st OP covered it, I guess. S2 2nd OP wasn't fantastic, but it wasn't bad. S2 2nd ED covered it in this case.

Story:
I actually thought story wasn't that horrible, even for the last few episodes. I don't think story itself was necessarily the problem, but rather the pace of the story was. I felt that they relatively stayed connected to the main theme they wanted to express, and I actually got it and understood it, unlike R2 when I just lost it halfway through (didn't even bother to figure out the point of the story ).

Character:
Season 1 did a nice job with developing Tieria's character, and I wondered how Season 2 would develop other characters. And.. Season 2 did a nice job developing Lyle's character. I could relate to him especially when he tried to make people realize that Lyle was Lyle, not Neil's brother. Allelujah, I wish they on focused him a little more. Setsuna, just LOL. I love him and his hax skills. Aside from Meisters, I liked that they focused on Saji and Louise as well. They are my favorite couple along with Allelujah and Marie, so nice to see them get some attention as well. Character development + my love for these characters = score.

Ending:
Last episode, compared to other episodes in Season 2, lacked tension and drama. Maybe because of the movie announcement? I think they could've done better. But once again, it wasn't horrible IMO.

Enjoyment:
I didn't just like it, I loved it even with a little lackluster ending.

I didn't care about all this realism - hax thing; as long as I enjoyed and loved it, what more could I possibly have wished for?

yuuki kanade @ fortune arterial
imbehindyou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-04, 00:25   Link #79
Funkatron
Highly irregular

Quote:
The first half of season 1, the Gundams WERE Hax. They defeated armies many times thier size, blowing them away like they were nothing. Tell me that isn't hax
Funkatron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-04, 00:49   Link #80
Revolutionist
Puppet Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Funkatron View Post
The first half of season 1, the Gundams WERE Hax. They defeated armies many times thier size, blowing them away like they were nothing. Tell me that isn't hax
That's not hax, that's called overwhelming technological advantage. It's like 5000 Zulus going up against 100 Red Coats. Spears vs repeating Rifles. Or like 1000 horsemen charging a square formation...