AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired M-Z > Umineko

Notices

Old 2009-01-14, 02:24   Link #961
UnknownBeast

You guys are awesome. I just found out that you guys also translated the beginning of EP4 too.. but I didn't read that yet >.>

But if I may, I have some comments..

Spoiler for ep3.. just in case:

Okay... that's it..

Great job ^__^

Last edited by UnknownBeast; 2009-01-14 at 02:35.
UnknownBeast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-01-14, 04:40   Link #962
Klashikari
阿賀野型3番艦、矢矧 Lv180
*Graphic Designer

1) That has nothing to do with the Touhou meme (yukkuri) at all.
The actual portion is "無理し" (murushi) which means along the line "overdo/strain oneself/unreasonable". Generally speaking, the characters are often saying "don't strain yourself/don't over do it", and we change with take it easy on various occasions.

2) As mentioned in the grimoire, it has an essential legacy and link with Higurashi. Furthermore, they use the Katakana (カケラ) here, not the kanji (欠片).
If we use "fragment", it would be the literal sense, so it would have no real connotation with the "worlds" here, which would miss completely the point, with both the connection with higurashi and the actual meaning.
Old 2009-01-14, 07:18   Link #963
UnknownBeast

1. Yeah I know. What I meant was that the meme made me notice the (over?)use of the phrase in the game. Something just went weird on my part, heheh >_>;

2. Hmm okay. But I sorta disagree on the bit that using 'fragment' will have a literal meaning. Since the Higurashi anime had described the worlds as fragments (the beginning of Kai shows them in actual glass fragments). So I think that the people who read it can understand the actual meaning.

Since it was written in Katakana in Japanese, maybe you could capitalize the first letter in english, to differentiate it from the usual meaning.
"I can't find the right Fragment." or something..

But as I said, I'm fine with it either way.
Old 2009-01-14, 12:15   Link #964
chronotrig

One of the problems with translating Japanese is that there are some phrases that they use a whole lot more than we do. I'm sure you've noticed some phrases repeated over and over in certain subs (the worst probably being 'That was so nostalgic'). We'll make an effort to vary things up a bit--you may not have noticed but that phrase is translated that way only half the time--but it is almost always coming from the same word.

And about Fragment...it just sounds awkward when it's supposed to be serious.
Spoiler for end of ep3:

It sounds like she's picking stuff up out of a dumpster.

If the series were over, we might think of something more fancy, but since the series is ongoing and we still don't know for sure what these kakera are, I think it's better to leave the term as vague as the original Japanese word.

www.witch-hunt.com Theory page
chronotrig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-01-14, 19:54   Link #965
actawesome

OMG I just saw what you guys did with 4. I have to admit it made me XD

You evil bastards. =P
That I freaked out when Renove said that.
actawesome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-01-14, 20:00   Link #966
UnknownBeast

Okay, that's great..
Darn that meme, I don't even follow Touhou <_<

Quote:
Originally Posted by chronotrig View Post
And about Fragment...it just sounds awkward when it's supposed to be serious.

Well I don't know.. but if one was suddenly reading a normally-written-in-Kanji word in katakana.. I think it would sound awkward to some of the Japanese readers too.

If I got this right, the reason that it was written in katakana was to remove the word from the kanji that binds it to the connotations of 'fragment', but still retains a meaning of it.

So, just IMO, I don't think "Fragment" will sound ridiculous at all. Since it still looks like 'fragment' but because of the capitalized letter, it doesn't have to mean as an actual fragment.

Then again, I don't really know fully of the connotations in the English language too. (Not my first language)
So.. >_>;

I still haven't read that Chapter 0. I'm thirsty for Umineko, but I'll probably be drinking salt water if I read that.. *coughcough* >.<;
Old 2009-01-14, 20:31   Link #967
lovelysan
Umineko and Mabinogi fan~

Personally I'm on Beast's side on the "Fragment" issue. Buuuuut, I also understand the reasoning on the TWH translators side.

So uh, yeah, just wanted to throw that in there.

AAAAANYWAYS. TWH did something with epi 4 huh? Aaawwww, I wanna see... I still haven't received my disk 4 yet for some reason >( . Considering how much HimeyaShop charges for shipping, I'm a touch annoyed. (Ah, looked on the site- they aren't officially releasing them until Jan 20. Bummer....)
lovelysan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-01-14, 21:01   Link #968
k//eternal
do you know ベアトリーチェ様?

I'm thinking "kakera" is the best option simply because it keeps the Higurashi connection "most stable" in the sense that regardless of what they may have been translated as in your experience with Higurashi, "kakera" is a term you've probably heard them referred to as, while if in Higurashi you've seen them as "Shards" and in Umineko as "Fragments" that creates some ambiguity as to whether the two are the same. That is, the simple existence of the question of how to translate the name implies that it's best left alone.

Nobody had any trouble identifying them as the same thing seen in Higurashi the way they're referred to right now, correct?

(Also, don't expect too much in the way of Ep. 4 at present, haha...)
k//eternal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-01-14, 21:06   Link #969
chronotrig

Well, I'm not so stuck on the word that I won't at least consider changing it. Obviously, most people reading this patch vaguely know what a kakera is, and if you're more comfortable reading it as Fragment, it isn't really a big deal.

We'll keep it as is for now, but that might change in the future.

www.witch-hunt.com Theory page
chronotrig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-01-14, 21:10   Link #970
k//eternal
do you know ベアトリーチェ様?

By the way, I've seen some previous game translation (don't remember which... Kanon perhaps?) that involved clickable text that would momentarily divert to a clarification of the word or words in question. I was wondering if this was possible in onscripter and if so, if it was worth considering basically incorporating the grimoires in-game, along with any other points of possible confusion such as the kakera.

Also, since we're going back and cleaning up the older games' scripts, are we planning to rewrite Jessica's lines to show her "crude" manner of speech (among any other stylistic issues anyone may have had in mind)? If so, it may be better to do it all in one sweep.
k//eternal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-01-14, 22:05   Link #971
meh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klashikari View Post
Since mediafire is down for quite a while, I uploaded the patch on rapidshare as well.
Here are the links

Thanks so much. Can't access mediafire where I live unfortunately.
meh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-01-14, 22:23   Link #972
Aeriven
Please grant my wish.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovelysan View Post
AAAAANYWAYS. TWH did something with epi 4 huh? Aaawwww, I wanna see... I still haven't received my disk 4 yet for some reason >( . Considering how much HimeyaShop charges for shipping, I'm a touch annoyed. (Ah, looked on the site- they aren't officially releasing them until Jan 20. Bummer....)
If it makes you feel better, I'm in the same boat. I pre-ordered my copy before the new year (when HimeyaShop said the game would be in sometime in late December), and I'm still sitting at Order Processing. I guess mine is in the next batch. I wants my Umineko!!

Also, since I hadn't commented on it yet, congratulations on Ryukishi07's email! I was so excited for you guys when I read that!!
Old 2009-01-14, 22:24   Link #973
momobunny
◔ ◡ ◔
*Artist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aghra View Post
If it makes you feel better, I'm in the same boat. I pre-ordered my copy before the new year (when HimeyaShop said the game would be in sometime in late December), and I'm still sitting at Order Processing. I guess mine is in the next batch. I wants my Umineko!!
I'm also in the same boat. ._.

momobunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-01-15, 13:33   Link #974
Rosa Mystica

Weird Himeya did that ... I got mine an few days after new years ... I think the 6th?
Old 2009-01-16, 10:43   Link #975
Mystearika

my order is also prosessing hope it comes then after the 20,th
Old 2009-01-17, 03:16   Link #976
Tjfarmer
I'm almost there!

Send a message via AIM to Tjfarmer
For the episode 4 patch...... Whoever decided to put Chapter 0 of chapter 4 included, was genius. After it ended, I was like "Aw, nothing else is gonna be in English"

Then when it was in English still I was like, ooh, awesome. Then I laughed my ass off. Beatrice quick flashing face was hilarious. Anyone mind telling me what the characters in red that briefly flash are saying though?
Tjfarmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-01-17, 06:18   Link #977
Saerianne
*cackle*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tjfarmer View Post
For the episode 4 patch...... Whoever decided to put Chapter 0 of chapter 4 included, was genius. After it ended, I was like "Aw, nothing else is gonna be in English"

Then when it was in English still I was like, ooh, awesome. Then I laughed my ass off. Beatrice quick flashing face was hilarious. Anyone mind telling me what the characters in red that briefly flash are saying though?
I don't know what they were saying, but it scared the crap out of me 'cause I wasn't expecting it. XD Did they do it for the other episodes?
Saerianne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-01-17, 06:30   Link #978
Klashikari
阿賀野型3番艦、矢矧 Lv180
*Graphic Designer

The characters are basically the Hiragana for "Kihihihihihihi, *giggle*giggle*giggle*giggle*giggle* Ahahahahahahaha"

And actually, we wanted to do something similar for Episode 2 when we were done with ep1, but it was scrapped out (there was supposed to have an army of tommy-george + golden slaughterer ).
The little teaser was given so that everyone could reach the portion that leads to the new OP.
Old 2009-01-17, 18:14   Link #979
Mikachiru
test

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovelysan View Post
Same here... I wanna cry for having to rush to the mailbox everyday for nothing...
Mikachiru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-01-17, 18:19   Link #980
Saerianne
*cackle*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klashikari View Post
The characters are basically the Hiragana for "Kihihihihihihi, *giggle*giggle*giggle*giggle*giggle* Ahahahahahahaha"

And actually, we wanted to do something similar for Episode 2 when we were done with ep1, but it was scrapped out (there was supposed to have an army of tommy-george + golden slaughterer ).
The little teaser was given so that everyone could reach the portion that leads to the new OP.
Ahh, okay. ^^ Thanks anyway guys, it was a real good treat to laugh over! =D
Saerianne is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
translation