Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2013-03-30, 05:20   Link #1461
Ravenblitz
|・ω・`)

Send a message via MSN to Ravenblitz
Images
megami
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?
Old 2013-03-30, 10:34   Link #1462
GMT
Orthodox Haruhiist

I liked this show. It was pleasant, unoffensive, and the humor rarely missed its mark. The bird was an interesting twist, and it's good that they didn't overuse him. The animation and artwork were, as expected from KyoAni, excellent. The characters weren't especially deep, but they were relatable ... which is key for a show like this one.

A weak point was the whole "Prince" plot. While they did work it into the course of the show, they ended up shoehorned a bunch of padding into the last episode, since it was obvious the Prince had figured out the incompetence of his minions maybe thirty seconds after getting those flowers from the florist; and the animators needed another 22.5 minutes to make an episode. This information might've been better spread out through the course of the series ... but as far as complaints go this is a pretty mild one.

Also you, as the viewer, should've seen the ending coming from about ten miles away ... Tamako's relationship with the shopkeepers of the arcade and their relationship with her was developed far too well for any ending but the "Tamako x Shopping Arcade" one. Tamako's romantically oblivious and, even if she weren't ... well, she's too straight for Midori and she's put Mochizou so deep into the friend-zone (when he says he thinks she should follow her heart, she gives him this look that just shouts "you see ... this is why we will never date") that he'd have a better shot at Midori ... the lesbian. Which leads to another weak point in this series, and that's the ship teasing that goes on. It would've worked better if Tamako actually had any romantic thoughts to speak of.

Neither of these really killed the show for me, though; and I like it better than I liked the first season of K-ON! So ...

7.25 / 10 for me.
Old 2013-03-30, 12:38   Link #1463
Dextro
He Without a Title

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravenblitz View Post
Images
megami
Oh god! Anko is just so cute. I want to take her home, yes I want... *gets smacked in the forehead by some kind of blunt object sent flying across the room*
Old 2013-03-30, 15:06   Link #1464
Newhope

Just got around to finishing this and best I can say say is MEH it's around weak show nothing really to keep you watching, definitely wouldn't watch a second season if they was one so I'll give it a 5/10.
Newhope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-03-30, 16:21   Link #1465
Kyuu
=^^=

I have a very very simple solution to the whole Tamako being a princess problem. It was right not to make her the princess after all...

But instead...

Spoiler:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMT
he'd have a better shot at Midori ... the lesbian.
Hell. He'll set her straight. If you know what I mean...
Kyuu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-03-30, 16:33   Link #1466
Dr. Casey

Man, Tamako is beautiful in that second picture blaze posted. I hope Michizou wins her heart.
Dr. Casey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-03-31, 10:03   Link #1467
~Yami~
a random Indonesian otaku

heart-warming...
I don't even know why I start to watch this anime
but it feels good every time when I watch Tamako, Mochizou, and Anko...

Anko is so adorable.... can I call her, Anko-nyan? (Azu-nyan's predecessor)
Mochizou and Tamako interaction is cute as well...
~Yami~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-03-31, 18:11   Link #1468
Chiaki_chan
Kubo GO TO HELL

I just saw the last episode .... good end, this anime very good this year ...

and Choi is it possible that Choi has a mole like Tamako? Seeing this in his clairvoyance she preferred whatsoever that it Tamako potential to be the queen?
Old 2013-03-31, 19:04   Link #1469
Dop
Mmmm....

Actually, being serious for a moment....

We have very little information on the florist Kaoru Hanase. Her character is never really explored in the series, and the official website has no background information.

Is this the first example of a transgender character in anime whose identity is neither a plot point, an object of interest or an object of humour? Is this the first example of a transgender character in anime who is depicted as a liked and respected member of the community?

Because if that's the case, as it seems to me it is, then that's a good positive point to the show, and hopefully she won't be the last to be depicted this conscientiously.
Dop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-03-31, 19:13   Link #1470
justsomeguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dop View Post
Actually, being serious for a moment....

We have very little information on the florist Kaoru Hanase. Her character is never really explored in the series, and the official website has no background information.

Is this the first example of a transgender character in anime whose identity is neither a plot point, an object of interest or an object of humour? Is this the first example of a transgender character in anime who is depicted as a liked and respected member of the community?

Because if that's the case, as it seems to me it is, then that's a good positive point to the show, and hopefully she won't be the last to be depicted this conscientiously.
Like the other shopkeepers, her character is barely touched upon. Can we even be sure that she is transgendered, as opposed to a female with a distinct voice?

Currently playing: LoH Trails in the Sky SC
justsomeguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-03-31, 21:03   Link #1471
Jimmy C

Or just a crossdresser? A truly gender ambiguous character.
Jimmy C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-03-31, 21:14   Link #1472
SaintessHeart
NYAAAAHAAANNNNN~

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravenblitz View Post
Images
megami
Anko=Azunyan?

When three puppygirls named after pastries are on top of each other, it is called Eclair a'la menthe et Biscotti aux fraises avec beaucoup de Ricotta sur le dessus.
Most of all, you have to be disciplined and you have to save, even if you hate our current financial system. Because if you don't save, then you're guaranteed to end up with nothing.
SaintessHeart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-03-31, 21:46   Link #1473
4Tran

Tamako is a well produced anime that looks good, has good direction, and has decent characterization but ultimately is less than the sum of its parts. I find is quite pleasant to watch, but it's rarely compelling. Episode 9 is the only episode that leaves much of an impression.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenjiharima View Post
I know it's a slice of life, but if they could have prevented that long dragging monologue it would have been alot better, here in the final episode they just let Tamako dodge the issue after school, insert long speech here, move forward and say sorry to the prince, then the prince says it's a misunderstanding because of the scent of the flowers. Back to being all friends.
Delivering that long monologue is the whole point of the show. I've been waiting for it from episode 1, and it's biggest problem is that it's too obvious and on the nose.
Old 2013-04-02, 18:52   Link #1474
kenjiharima
Mizore-chan

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Tran View Post
Delivering that long monologue is the whole point of the show. I've been waiting for it from episode 1, and it's biggest problem is that it's too obvious and on the nose.
That was my big problem with the final episode. It's like Tamako please shut up we know what you fee, you established that in all the other episodes, I don't need that kind of wrap up. Just say what you need to say to the prince.

Then a predictable thing the prince has the solution, "Oh it's a misunderstanding" because of the scent of the flowers. It's just like he visited just to get Choi and Dera back.
Old 2013-04-02, 23:09   Link #1475
4Tran

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenjiharima View Post
Then a predictable thing the prince has the solution, "Oh it's a misunderstanding" because of the scent of the flowers. It's just like he visited just to get Choi and Dera back.
I think that the idea behind that part was that if Tamako wasn't the chosen one, then it'd have to be some other girl, i.e. Choi. Then again, that whole plot was really unengaging. It's like the creators wanted to inject some sort of tension into a show where tension doesn't fit, and they came up with this terrible idea.
Old 2013-04-03, 01:01   Link #1476
FateAnomaly

Loved this show. Especially the OP and Tamako. Its not hard to see why both mochizou and midori fall for her. It also makes me want to eat some mochi so bad. The ending is kinda expected. As dela puts it, the only thing in her head is air and mochi so there is little doubt she will be going anywhere especially not with the name mochimazui. Looking forward to a second season.
FateAnomaly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-03, 20:54   Link #1477
kenjiharima
Mizore-chan

Quote:
I think that the idea behind that part was that if Tamako wasn't the chosen one, then it'd have to be some other girl, i.e. Choi. Then again, that whole plot was really unengaging. It's like the creators wanted to inject some sort of tension into a show where tension doesn't fit, and they came up with this terrible idea.
agreed

If only there was a scene where the prince showed something towards Choi romantically besides being his servant and friend, but we don't get that.
Old 2013-04-04, 16:34   Link #1478
TnAdct1
Honya-kun

Quote:
...or this was one of those ideas that was around when the show was originally conceived as a mahou shoujo title (with it being one thing that should haven gotten the axe when it became a "slice of life" title instead).
Old 2013-04-04, 16:57   Link #1479
TooPurePureBoy
Socially Inept

Quote:
Originally Posted by frubam View Post
I can't say I 'hated' this anime by any means. But I cannot say what was entertaining about it. I liked Kanna and her antics at least, but other than that, and Dera's walking style(like he's walking down a fashion show runway ), the show just felt....empty =02. I've never watched any of the shows that have a similar look or vibe of "moe"; not K-On, not A-Channel, not Kokoro Connect. I thought that I should see what the fuss is all about when it comes to these kinds of shows. But if this show is of any indication, I won't be watching any of them neither from the past, nor, in the future. This is just not my kind of show =0\...
I wouldn't judge the whole slice of life genre on this show. You should try the best first. I'm pretty sure you'll find no (maybe a couple degenerates) arguments that Aria is the best SoL T.V. series ever. Also if you are into manga you might want to try Yokohama Kaidashi Kikou since if you ask me that's the most moving SoL story ever.

Just a suggestion.
Old 2013-04-04, 23:41   Link #1480
4Tran

Quote:
Originally Posted by TnAdct1 View Post
...or this was one of those ideas that was around when the show was originally conceived as a mahou shoujo title (with it being one thing that should haven gotten the axe when it became a "slice of life" title instead).
It's pretty clear that Tamako Market wanted to generate some sort of tension in order to wrap up the show and to tie together the show's themes. The normal standbys in this kind of show are: an injury/sickness/death of a major character, a business closing down, an accident/disaster, or some sort of meaningful romance. The creators didn't want to go with any of those, so they went with that relatively silly romance bit instead. I don't think that it's a carryover from the original story concept as it seems to be designed to fit their needs too well.

Tags
comedy, seinen